The lost art of logging

9Key

I definitely fall under the category of using the acro's when I first started. I saw other people from around our area that seemed to be the "cool" people, and they always left nice logs talking about all their experiences while out for the day. Since I want to be one of those "cool" people, I started lengthening my logs, and talking about my thoughts or experiences while out for the day. I've got to the point now, that i actually have started looking around as I am looking for each cache specifically to see what else is going on around me just so I can have something cool to log. I think that's actually part of the concept of Caching in the first place. Get out to new places you wouldn't have seen before, and find something cool, and while you're there, actually look around at those new places. See what's in your surroundings that you wouldn't have seen otherwise. I really appreciate it when I go looking for a cache and the hider has put some thought into it to make sure that people have gotten a good look around tem. There is one specific hider in my area that I was thinking of that purposefully makes people hunt down Multi's that make you traverse entire parks so that you see the entire park. That much effort in my mind deserves a log that does it justice.

My pet peeve is when there are people that go out hunting and you see their physical log signatures, but they never log their finds. I know that people can do what they want with the whole thing, and I don't lose sleep over it, but for some reason that one really bugs me. To go out and hunt down someone's cache, sign their log, and mess with it, but not actually tell them about it. I guess I just don't get that one. Oh well. Thanks for reading my little mini-novel here.

If I could unscrew my brain this is exactly what I would have wrote in the first place! Very Nicely Done!

When I started geocaching, the containers I found -and their notepad-size logbooks- were larger. So I would easily fill out a logpage to share my thoughts with the following finders. More recently, I fell frustrated when I have to squeeze my geotag and logdate in a itzi-bitzi printed square. There's not even enough space to write down my swag. I confess, sometimes I rebel against the format and I will use many "squares" to log my find and share my experience :D

I've been noticing this trend too. Micro log sheets in regular or small size caches, containers that can easily support a decent size logbook. The other day I opened a sandwich size container to find that the logbook was missing, but on further investigation I found the "logbook" on the back of the folded information sheet - a 2 column table with 1/4" high cells to squeeze in my trailname and date. You can't even use a regular ball point pen to write in the square, you need a fine tipped or micro tipped pen. I like to use my sig stamp - it's small, less than 1" square - and leave a short message, but there's no room. I think I might just rebel and use a few extra lines too.

When I started geocaching, the containers I found -and their notepad-size logbooks- were larger. So I would easily fill out a logpage to share my thoughts with the following finders. More recently, I fell frustrated when I have to squeeze my geotag and logdate in a itzi-bitzi printed square. There's not even enough space to write down my swag. I confess, sometimes I rebel against the format and I will use many "squares" to log my find and share my experience :D

I've been noticing this trend too. Micro log sheets in regular or small size caches, containers that can easily support a decent size logbook. The other day I opened a sandwich size container to find that the logbook was missing, but on further investigation I found the "logbook" on the back of the folded information sheet - a 2 column table with 1/4" high cells to squeeze in my trailname and date. You can't even use a regular ball point pen to write in the square, you need a fine tipped or micro tipped pen. I like to use my sig stamp - it's small, less than 1" square - and leave a short message, but there's no room. I think I might just rebel and use a few extra lines too.

Well, I don't know if it has always been like this, but it has since I've been caching, at least in my area: the in-cache log is intended for date and username. Maybe TNLN or Took: Thing, Left: Stuff... basic information, not wordy.

The wordy logging, in my 5 years, has always been done online. That's where the cache owner gets the most immediate feedback, and it never fills up like the notebook does.

My first cache is a small. I'm using a 4x3 "Composition" notebook for the log. It's a puzzle cache so it should have plenty of space for years even if people feel compelled to write a page-long note. My next cache is a micro, so I have a micro log in it. 1inch wide by 8 inchs long, two "pages". Should last a while.

Well.........I do end with TNLNSL TFTC, but always try to put something else of interest/humour in. My logs are not long - computer newbie and s l o w typist. As for cut and paste.........still learning :D

We were out caching in downtown Victoria and heard that the police were called to deal with a group of naked cyclists........but we never saw them!

For the few caches that we have found - we have enjoyed writing a little story in the book that was included in the cache.

But I suppose that different people have different "goals" or motivation in going geocaching.

Some people only want to hit a record in number of caches found...

As a new geocacher - please could you help me understand the following terms?

LPC

TNLNSL - TFTC

swag

muggles or LEO's

ALR caches

TNLNSLTFTCGYAPIDKE

Thanking you in anticipation

LPC

TNLNSL - TFTC

swag

muggles or LEO's

ALR caches

TNLNSLTFTCGYAPIDKE

In the spirit of teach a man to fish and all that...

http://geolex.locusprime.net/

I admit to being intrigued by the last one though. As far as I can figure out, Took Nothing Left Nothing signed Log Thanks For The Cache Georgia Youth Advocate Program International Drag King Extravaganza. Mind boggling.

Edited by Chrysalides

LPC

TNLNSL - TFTC

swag

muggles or LEO's

ALR caches

TNLNSLTFTCGYAPIDKE

In the spirit of teach a man to fish and all that...

http://geolex.locusprime.net/

I admit to being intrigued by the last one though. As far as I can figure out, Took Nothing Left Nothing signed Log Thanks For The Cache Georgia Youth Advocate Program International Drag King Extravaganza. Mind boggling.

I am perplexed by the G in that last one..

TNLNSLTFTC .. we all know. G(?) Yet Another Park I Didn't Know Existed.

Great? Groovy? Gee? Golly? Gorgeous? Gorilla?

Thedailycritic just posted this DNF on my GC1TRH5 You Might Need A Crane #2 cache.

"Though I searched nigh onto the hour of thine grandfather's slumber, and verily did mine eyes accustom themselves to the deepening shadows; the silhouettes of leaves and branches transformed themselves into myriad forms and twilight's gloom vanquished the sun's last fringes of gold and I was forced from the hilltop copse of vernal bounty by lack of illumination, vanquished and dejected.

(I couldn't find it.)"

Got a laugh out of that one. His logs are often very entertaining.

Some of us struggle with creating logs that entertain. My natural writing style is kind of a "just the facts ma'am" approach. The result is informative, but not necessarily fun. In order improve the quality of my logs I have started to include pictures like this shot of raspberries growing near the GZ of GC15DEE Not a P&G.

Raspberries.jpg

Logging with the intention of increasing your word count isn't any better in my opinion. Your grocery list and the errands you are running that day mean little to anyone.

A simple thank you, I had fun." is better that a one thousand word monologue describing the mundane activities of your day from the time you woke until the time you signed the log.

Logging with the intention of increasing your word count isn't any better in my opinion. Your grocery list and the errands you are running that day mean little to anyone.

A simple thank you, I had fun." is better that a one thousand word monologue describing the mundane activities of your day from the time you woke until the time you signed the log.

I think it is very difficult to know what will float someone else's boat when logging. There are times that I strive to write something that will entertain the owner of the cache, but that is only when the cache owner has specified some sort of desire, ( for example, "please write about animals you saw" or "please write about any bad luck you had getting to this cache"). Otherwise, it is hard to tell what a cache owner would enjoy.

It is even more difficult to know what random people reading the log will enjoy. For example, I adore the logs that are essentially adventure travel reports complete with pictures. My beloved wants logs that will give him an idea of how to proceed if we are stuck. Some people hate long logs. Some hate very short logs.

For this reason I write what I think will inform or entertain my British friends who introduced me to geocaching. My logs are essentially letters to them because they cannot be here to do this with me. (I know they are reading my logs.) On occasion I will have a wonderful story and I'll write it for myself because I want to read it in the future. These strategies seem to work well overall. I get unsolicited positive comments from random people and cache owners.

The central rule of writing is to know your audience. This is impossible when logging. Since I cannot please everyone, I think that it is most important to act courteously to everyone and to write for just a few people or for myself.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

actually, if you can tear it off with a little style, i'd just as well read your grocery list and see what you had for lunch. the errands you run mean much more to me than any log devoid of substance. since for me the cache experience is everything surrounding the actual finding and opening of the container, the trading and the signing of the book, i like to read the whole experience of others.

I'm very new to this hobby so please excuse me should I not use the correct "lingo" or say things in the manner in which you are used to.

I found this thread to be quite informative as I am learning constantly that the information on websites and books is not what its all about and there is a great deal of etiquette, preferences etc. that go unsaid or not highlighted in teaching new people.

This has certainly highlighted my efforts to try and log more information from this point on.

My pet peeve are cut and pastes like "Found on the way to the event. TFTC."

I mean, c'mon. Be more original. Describe your experience. I live in an area where several tourists pass through from one city to another and I get logs a lot like that or something like "Found on my way home from Canada. TFTC."

At least, if you are gonna be short and sweet about it, don't do the cut and paste. Be different in each log in the area like "Saw this type of hide before. Nice hide" in one cache followed by "Wife saw it before I got out of the car. Quick find."

That I don't mind seeing in the logs. I just don't like getting 20 e-mail notifications of "Quick find. TFTC" in each one of them. It's like I'm getting duplicate e-mails.

Thanks for the rant.

This is getting worse, especially from NEW cachers. Several emails I got today from my "watched caches" had the lengthy, well thought out log of "SL". Nothing else. No thanks. No comments. Nothing. I have these on my watch list because they are very well done caches, lot's of time to create and install. Now, I am just waiting for the inevitable "X" log. Come on folks, be at least as creative as the cache hider.

Have a great 4th!

You know, I have 20 or so hidden caches and you are absolutely right. It is a pleasure to read the logs. I don't get upset for the "TFTH" but, I do enjoy the commentaries.

I always made a personal note for each find.

:anitongue: Unfortunately, I realize that I have become lazy. I have started cut and pasting, shame on me.

No more, I am going back to my old ways. :D

I apologize to the hidden caches that I was too lazy to be personal.

To all that take the time to hide, I appreciate your efforts...and thank you. :laughing:

Edited by darbrn

<sarcasm> Oh, how I enjoy the logs that read only: Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble! </sarcasm>

You know. I was gonna add that too. Glad I'm not the only one. It's one thing to use a cell phone to add field notes. That's fine.

But why can't the user wait until he comes home to log his finds in detail instead of doing "Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble!"

Those are the most annoying logs I ever read. Too bad requiring NOT to post that would be considered an ALR or I would delete them from my own cache logs - lol.

But why can't the user wait until he comes home to log his finds in detail instead of doing "Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble!"

The main advantage I can think of is that when you get home, you go straight to your profile page, all the caches you found are already there in order, and you can edit them.

I think that, unfortunately, because the smiley is already there, people may not get around to editing it for days, if ever. And by the time they do, they may have forgotten interesting details they might remember if they had logged it sooner.

I'm very new to this hobby so please excuse me should I not use the correct "lingo" or say things in the manner in which you are used to.

I found this thread to be quite informative as I am learning constantly that the information on websites and books is not what its all about and there is a great deal of etiquette, preferences etc. that go unsaid or not highlighted in teaching new people.

This has certainly highlighted my efforts to try and log more information from this point on.

If I understand what you're asking... this thread is NOT saying that you should not use the stanard abbreviations like TNLNSL and TFTC. What it IS asking is that you don't use JUST those.

"#5 of 10 for me today. TNLNSL, TFTC" is a boring, self-centered, almost insulting log

"What a great day to go caching. You should have seen all the bluebirds! TNLNSL, TFTC" is quite rewarding for a cache owner to receive.

interesting reading. as newcomers to this geocaching we have fallen into that lazy log thing by what we have read. we will definately expand on our logs as we find more. we do some of our caching by motorcycle and it takes us to some fantastic areas. as an amateur photographer i am constantly taking photos of the places we get to visit so we can recall them an have places to ride to on our ride days. this is a great sport/hobby that can be incorporated onto anything that you are doing.

thanks to everyone who geocaches and spreads the word. :unsure:

<sarcasm> Oh, how I enjoy the logs that read only: Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble! </sarcasm>

Those are the most annoying logs I ever read. Too bad requiring NOT to post that would be considered an ALR or I would delete them from my own cache logs - lol.

Is it ALR? In Cache Listing Guidelines it reads: "The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements."

Such log appears to be off topic (even commercial) and removing it would be quality control :unsure:

Tis better to have and not want, than want and not have. One can always -not- read my logs... but for those who enjoy reading them (and I've been told by many that they love reading them), it's not like they can read something that's not there.

<I just don't like getting 20 e-mail notifications of "Quick find. TFTC" in each one of them. It's like I'm getting duplicate e-mails.>

One day I found several caches put out by an owner...along with other caches and then cut and paste my find in each log.....Later I got a nasty Email from the cache owner saying that since he took the time to put a cache out there for me to find...I should take the time to write something Unique in their log.

Putting a cache out there takes time...and finding it takes time. I put caches out there for people to find and have fun...I don't require them to write a Thesus on how they found it.

If someone want to write a story...fine, that is up to them. If they cut and paste "Quick find. TFTC" on my caches...so be it....the cache served it purpose either way...someone came and found it.

"...the cache served it's purpose..." TheTexasGringo

I am curious then, what is the purpose of a cache? Is it so that someone can just add another number to their finds? I think NOT!

The ORIGNAL PURPOSE of Geocaching was to combine "High Tech" with getting "Outdoors". I just placed a cache that I have over 10 hours in creating and placing. It is at an entrance to a National Forest. Once you find the cache, then you can spend the weekend Mountain Biking, Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Jeeping, ATVing, and a lot more.

Therefore, in my opinion, since I spent more than 10 hours, I do not think it is asking too much for someone to spend one minute to say, "This was fun, took a little while, but we found it. Thank you."

Cut and Paste? Please, have more respect for the effort cache placers have put into placing caches!

<I am curious then, what is the purpose of a cache? Is it so that someone can just add another number to their finds? I think NOT!>

It is whatever you want it to be....and getting a higher number is part of it. I place my caches so it is easy for people....and I see newbies and cachers with over 4000 finds come to mine. So, with that "I Think NOT"... You seem to be in another aspect of this Game/Sport/Hobby....whatever it is. You expect something in return...I don't.

<Therefore, in my opinion, since I spent more than 10 hours, I do not think it is asking too much for someone to spend one minute to say, "This was fun, took a little while, but we found it. Thank you.">

Whether it took you 1 min or 10 hours...you placed that cache for people to find...and they did. You should just be happy that they took their time to go to your cache and not pass it up. And for a geocacher to take their time to go find my cache...that is the reward for me placing that cache....not requiring someone to write a story in log to gratify the cache owner.

To Each Their Own....

Whether it took you 1 min or 10 hours...you placed that cache for people to find...and they did. You should just be happy that they took their time to go to your cache and not pass it up. And for a geocacher to take their time to go find my cache...that is the reward for me placing that cache....not requiring someone to write a story in log to gratify the cache owner.

To Each Their Own....

I suspect that if everyone left acronym logs (TNLNSLTFTC), those who spend 10 hours on a cache hide will probably archive their caches and quit planting. What's the point - no one seems to think they have any value except to increase find counts. Maybe it's the finders' way of saying it's a lousy cache. I've read over and over in the forums that TFTC and TNLNSL means the cache is ho-hum, boring, not worth the visit... if you can't say anything good, say TFTC. It's how people suggest you separate the wheat from the chaff, check the logs - if most of them are acronym logs then the cache is not good. Good caches get wordier logs. So TFTC has become a round-a-bout way of saying, "I didn't like your cache".

I know I would stop planting if 80% or more of the comments were TFTC - it's a lot of work (checking the cache whenever there's a DNF, checking all caches about once a season) and some financial investment (lock n lock boxes, fresh trinkets at least twice a year, new handmade logbook about once a year). It's those cachers that provide some feedback (good or bad), and those that leave stories of their adventures, that motivate me to hide and maintain caches.

I suspect that if acronym logs were the norm, then 1 minute cache hides would also become the norm -- less effort in the logs begets less investment in the hides.

"To Each Their Own...."

When I was in Grade School, whenever an adult walked into the room, ALL the children stood up to show respect. I still open the car door for my wife. I hold the door open for women, elderly, handicapped, and just about anyone else that I can find whom I can help.

The problem with the world today is not who is in the White House, or which Wall Street Brokerage ripped off it's customers, or Iran or Iraq or North Korea, etc.... The problem with the world today comes down to each individual person.

My wife always says there is an invisible sign over the front door of our home that reads, "Here you will find honor, respect, courtesy and love" Something that is extremely rare out in today's world. Most cachers that I have run into have been different from the norm, I have met wonderful, friendly and very gracious folks. We just met a couple from Texas with 2,800 finds up in Silverton, Colorado and we had a Co-FTF even though they found it before we did. They even gave us a coin to pass on. Our log for the find contained a compliment to the cache hider and a compliment to the wonderful and gracious folks we met. Their log contained similar comments.

But there is a small percentage of cachers who have no COMMON COURTESY, no respect, and especially no graciousness. We won't even talk about honor.

Four years ago, my mother, who is a Geocacher in California, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. She received over 70 Get Well cards from fellow Geocachers in California. THAT is what geocaching is about. Sure, mom has over 1,100 finds and we are approaching 500 finds, but those 70 Get Well cards meant a heck of a lot more than 1,100 cache finds. Meeting that couple from Texas meant more than the dozen caches we found that day.

I guess some cachers want their Grave Stone to read "He found 12,729 Geocaches". Personally, I would prefer something along the lines of "He was a Great Friend!"

Yes, absolutely, "...to each their own...". You can tell a LOT about a person just by reading their logs.

I suspect that if everyone left acronym logs (TNLNSLTFTC), those who spend 10 hours on a cache hide will probably archive their caches and quit planting. What's the point - no one seems to think they have any value except to increase find counts. Maybe it's the finders' way of saying it's a lousy cache. I've read over and over in the forums that TFTC and TNLNSL means the cache is ho-hum, boring, not worth the visit... if you can't say anything good, say TFTC. It's how people suggest you separate the wheat from the chaff, check the logs - if most of them are acronym logs then the cache is not good. Good caches get wordier logs. So TFTC has become a round-a-bout way of saying, "I didn't like your cache".

I know I would stop planting if 80% or more of the comments were TFTC - it's a lot of work (checking the cache whenever there's a DNF, checking all caches about once a season) and some financial investment (lock n lock boxes, fresh trinkets at least twice a year, new handmade logbook about once a year). It's those cachers that provide some feedback (good or bad), and those that leave stories of their adventures, that motivate me to hide and maintain caches.

I suspect that if acronym logs were the norm, then 1 minute cache hides would also become the norm -- less effort in the logs begets less investment in the hides.

The majority of my cache hides are hidden in areas where "TFTC cache finders" avoid going. Once I started increasing the terrain ratings past three stars, the logs improved. There is a correllation between the effort required to find the cache, and the log size.

If I understand what you're asking... this thread is NOT saying that you should not use the stanard abbreviations like TNLNSL and TFTC. What it IS asking is that you don't use JUST those.

"#5 of 10 for me today. TNLNSL, TFTC" is a boring, self-centered, almost insulting log

"What a great day to go caching. You should have seen all the bluebirds! TNLNSL, TFTC" is quite rewarding for a cache owner to receive.

i was so glad to find this thread as i worried my anecdotes and adventures i recount were appropriate/boring. Also i enjoy reading the logs on caches i have found in the past and keep on my watchlist-especially as I can't satisfy my addiction to geocacheing at the moment as i have broken my shoulder- i did manage to plant a new cache tho! :drama:

Maybe I did misread it Sbell, and if so, I need to slow down.

Here is what you wrote, "You can tell a LOT about a person just by what they read into other people's logs."

So I interpreted it to mean that you can tell a LOT about me by what I read into other people's logs. IE. Someone posts "SL" as a 'find log' and I figure they are either lazy, don't know English, hated the cache or have no manners. If they are lazy, not much I can do, just as if they don't know English, there is nothing I can do. If they didn't like the cache, then maybe I can do something to improve it. If they are just classless and have no manners, then I will call them on it. So your quote says that you can tell a lot about me by what I read into other's peoples logs. So my question is, HOW do you know what I read into other people's logs?

I'm not a huge cacher... still under 100 finds. But I'm been doing it on and off for a number of years now, and I've got 7 of my own hides out there. The more I've played, the more I've learned to listen and obey the creed of "To each his own." You play the game the way you want to, and I'll play the game the way I want to. And we can both be happy geocachers.

To that end, if you want to leave a TFTC log, so be it. I'm certainly not going to send you a nasty note and I'm bummed that one of the above posters got that.

Now, having said this, I will say from my own experience, I enjoy a longer, thought out log. These logs make me feel like the finder had fun. They make me feel happy, like I've touched someone else in a positive way. They make me want to put more caches out. Reading through this thread I think I'm not the only one to feel this way.

So, this is my opinion on writing logs: If you like the cache, take the time to write a nice log. Do it for selfish reasons. If you write a nice log, the hider is more apt to put out more caches of this type.

respect. I still open the car door for my wife. I hold the door open for women, elderly, handicapped, and just about anyone else that I can find whom I can help.

i can't say i feel especially respected in being lumped in with elderly and handicapped as being in need of help based on gender.

women do not need doors held open any more than anyone else.

i hold doors open for men, children, and other feebleminded.

...no, seriously; i hold doors for whoever's there. it would not cross my mind to be helpful only to some people based on gender or my perception of their physical ability.

i can't say i feel especially respected in being lumped in with elderly and handicapped as being in need of help based on gender.

women do not need doors held open any more than anyone else.

i hold doors open for men, children, and other feebleminded.

...no, seriously; i hold doors for whoever's there. it would not cross my mind to be helpful only to some people based on gender or my perception of their physical ability.

You missed this part of his comment

and just about anyone else that I can find whom I can help.

Anyway you appear to be diverting attention from the point of his comment -- courtesy. Acronyms are not courteous and they have become a passive agressive way of saying, "I didn't like your cache". Better to give constructive criticism then TFTC.

Anyway you appear to be diverting attention from the point of his comment -- courtesy. Acronyms are not courteous and they have become a passive agressive way of saying, "I didn't like your cache". Better to give constructive criticism then TFTC.

Some cachers are shallow enough that they will seek revenge against you for speaking poorly about their geocache.

Example of cache where they made it their mission to draw attention to the fact I didn't like their cache. I mentioned in a note that a prescription pill bottle (with label) is a poor choice of a cache in a high visibility location.

Drive thru

Maybe I did misread it Sbell, and if so, I need to slow down.

Here is what you wrote, "You can tell a LOT about a person just by what they read into other people's logs."

So I interpreted it to mean that you can tell a LOT about me by what I read into other people's logs. IE. Someone posts "SL" as a 'find log' and I figure they are either lazy, don't know English, hated the cache or have no manners. If they are lazy, not much I can do, just as if they don't know English, there is nothing I can do. If they didn't like the cache, then maybe I can do something to improve it. If they are just classless and have no manners, then I will call them on it. So your quote says that you can tell a lot about me by what I read into other's peoples logs. So my question is, HOW do you know what I read into other people's logs?

If you were to state that someone was lazy (or doesn't know English or hated the cache or has no manners) because he only logged 'SL', then you are reading more into his log than is there. This behavior would tell more about you then it would about the logger.
...Yes, absolutely, "...to each their own...". You can tell a LOT about a person just by reading their logs.
You can tell a LOT about a person just by what they read into other people's logs.

You can tell a lot about a person in what they tell in a person from their post about what they read in a cacher from their logs.

My head hurts...

Some cachers are shallow enough that they will seek revenge against you for speaking poorly about their geocache.

Example of cache where they made it their mission to draw attention to the fact I didn't like their cache. I mentioned in a note that a prescription pill bottle (with label) is a poor choice of a cache in a high visibility location.

Drive thru

So it is rude to write a short log, but is not rude to criticize somebody else's cache via a log on their cache page...?

Edited by Castle Mischief
...Yes, absolutely, "...to each their own...". You can tell a LOT about a person just by reading their logs.
You can tell a LOT about a person just by what they read into other people's logs.

You can tell a lot about a person in what they tell in a person from their post about what they read in a cacher from their logs.

My head hurts...

Not a log. I didn't mean a log. I don't have a log. I mean, I do but not in the sense that you think I think I said. Which I said but not meaning what I said when I said it.