The lost art of logging

9Key

I for one will keep it short and sweet if I am on a major caching trip. Trying to recall which cache was which after a 30 cache find day is difficult. Usually there is not enough daylight to try to write a note in a log book in the truck. I am talking about being in the backcountry with tough caches climbing the hills and such. Now if you are in a city enviroment then that would be doable.

Plus I will log short and sweet and then come back and update with additional info and pics after all caches have been logged in.

Well I just started (only found three so far), and sort of copy the form that everyone else is using because I didn't really know what to write. I suppose, fortunately, I'm the type of person who could talk my head off, so my logs do seem to be a bit on the longer side. I actually thought they were kinda supposed to be short since everyone else's kind of is. I always assumed mine where kind of too long, so I've been trying to edit them down. Good thing to know though. Next time we go out, I'll throw in all the details.

As a relatively new cacher, there have been times where I have been somewhat verbose in my log and attempted some levity and color in the log only to feel a bit odd when I look at some of the other finds posted for the same cache. I can see where newbies get the idea that a simple "TNLNSL" is the way to go since you see a lot of those in every find, and a nice long post detailing the experience seems to stick out like a sore thumb. I have since decided that injecting a bit of color in my log is a good thing and I TRY not to feel like I'm standing out in a crowd of one liner finds. I will get long-winded and put in a paragraph if the adventure surrounding the find warrants it, but you have to admit it can be hard coming up with a few prosaic lines about an LPC or a medicine bottle shoved under a parking curb. :laughing:

I have since decided that injecting a bit of color in my log is a good thing and I TRY not to feel like I'm standing out in a crowd of one liner finds. I will get long-winded and put in a paragraph if the adventure surrounding the find warrants it, but you have to admit it can be hard coming up with a few prosaic lines about an LPC or a medicine bottle shoved under a parking curb. :cry:

I like to log about my experience. I like to log my experience and so on some finds it is very simple logs. On the more complicated caches I do try to make a longer log. If I am longer than the previous 6 logs thats too bad. I really felt I had a story to tell.

I remember doing a series of caches and the owner said that all cut and paste logs would be deleted. Yet each page of the series was a cut and paste description, word for word. Seemed a little odd to me at the time.

I always try to write something original in my found logs but I really do suffer from lack of creative writing. I do try to say thanks for the caches I find because I know the efort envolved hiding and maintaining them.

Ok folks I'm guilty of not doing what I'd like others to do if it were my hide. The only thing that saves me from feeling like a total jerk is that after going back and randomly reviewing my logs in addition to the usual TFTC TNLN bit I usually do add a line or two of a more personal nature. However, I now see the error of my ways and from now on I'll remember to practice the golden rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you. With only 120 finds I'm still learning so thanks to everybody that shares pearls of wisdom here on the Forums. Thanks for the education. Happy caching everybody! :angry: Edit to add a special thank you to the Op for starting this thread since there are lots like me who've learned a something new via this thread.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

We've been noticing a lot of log books which only have the date and name of the cacher in them lately. I'm not talking about a lame cache in which there just wasn't much to say, but nice caches on beautiful trails. Not even a "TFTC". :D

We're preserving the log book, so the cache doesn't get archived for 'log book full'. :D

Figured that 'nice walk through the snow covered woods' was nicer than 'had to park near the sewer plant because they haven't plowed the parking lot yet' :angry:

I've been getting really wacky with my cache logs. I recently DNFd a cache and wrote on the log "perhaps the clue to this should be 'PENIS'" ...since that word was graffitied all over the cache object (a payphone) when I walked up to it haha. But I agree with the original poster. I think part of geocaching is the experience and you should relay that to future cachers because 1) it helps, it really does (I try to slip in a play on words or secondary hidden clue into my logs) and 2) The owner should know that you genuinely enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) the cache.

But I still use "TFTC" because it's like "LMAO" and that puts a nice geeky spin on caching lingo....plus I adore those "TFTC" shirts on geocaching.com and sooooo want one! Next paycheck!

Having just hid my first cache, I now have a greater appreciation for the log. I mean, why would somebody spend the money, time, and effort to hide a cache if they weren't interested in the contribution to the game. My first cache is a week old and I love the feedback. I plan on being much more creative with my logs. For me, this was a shift... at first it was about how many I could log. Now it's about contributing to the game. TFTC is nice but I plan to try harder now.

I've been getting really wacky with my cache logs. I recently DNFd a cache and wrote on the log "perhaps the clue to this should be 'PENIS'" ...since that word was graffitied all over the cache object (a payphone) when I walked up to it haha. But I agree with the original poster. I think part of geocaching is the experience and you should relay that to future cachers because 1) it helps, it really does (I try to slip in a play on words or secondary hidden clue into my logs) and 2) The owner should know that you genuinely enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) the cache.

But I still use "TFTC" because it's like "LMAO" and that puts a nice geeky spin on caching lingo....plus I adore those "TFTC" shirts on geocaching.com and sooooo want one! Next paycheck!

My problem was that after the day of caching, I forget the details from some caches so when I go to do them I'm like, "Iono. thurr were some trees and it was not raining."

I've taken to bringing along a little black leatherbound notebook. Then when I find the cache I stand there a moment, write down a few things I observed at the cache, or whether or not it needed maintainence. I think that's helped me be less copy-pasta.

I admit that I'm guilty of TNLNSL TFTC logs, but usually just on the normal everyday LPCs where nothing unique happens. Most of the time when I'm out caching I take a notebook with me. I write down all the information about the caches and leave some room in between each cache I list. In the spaces I leave, I write down what, if anything, I traded, and also the condition of the cache and anything that happened on the search and what-not. That way when I get home to log my finds, I don't have to try and remember everything. It keeps the finds from blurring too much. A little bit of extra time taken before leaving the house and a little bit more after each find makes for better logs and a more enjoyable experience.

If its any consolation, there are some of us who see a blank piece of paper and have to resist filling the entire thing up after finding a cache. The few that I've found, I've tried to put some humor into my log entry, vent about the terrain, all that fun stuff. I don't think I'll ever get so lazy that I'll start spamming TFTC acronyms to save fifteen seconds of my precious time. I'm a writer at heart, so expect more than a few paragraphs if I find your cache.

I'm of three minds here. One is that a lot of the caches in my area have something like "was driving by here and thought it would be a good place for a cache." It really doesn't imply much effort on the part of the hider, and it's met with not a whole lot of effort by me. If you're driving around slapping hide-a-keys on telephone poles every 500 feet, don't expect much of a log. Also, how long does it really take to say "another LPC at Wally World?" Our area here is absolutely saturated with 1/1-2/2 micros.

Another thought is the constant posts about spoilers. I don't want to encrypt every one of my logs, and with the caches in the city, it's really hard to say something about them that doesn't completely give them away. It's even hard to post pictures without doing the same. I like posting pictures, and if there's really anything interesting about the site, I'll post a picture, but if I did it for every one, there'd be a bunch of different views of our 3 WalMarts, and a thousand pictures of lamp posts.

Finally, for a really good cache that has historical or other significance, I'll post a large log, with two or three pictures. If it's something that the hider has done their homework on, and made it a really interesting thing, I'll make it worth their while with my log. If it's another LPC at a supermarket, they get TFTC unless something makes it special.

I don't usually write much in the physical log, name, date, time if it's a FTF. Maybe a sentence or two, a note on the weather.

But I'll type my fingers off in the online log. That's what I want on my caches, to share your experience good or bad. Did you enjoy it? Did anything interesting happen? My DNF logs are usually way more fun than my found logs, because there's usually a little bad luck or a brain fart involved.

Why would anyone expect someone else to enjoy YOUR "...favorite parts of hiding caches..."? There is a better than fair chance that they are playing for THEIR OWN enjoyment, not yours.

I too enjoy reading a good log entry and I've been known for making a short story long. Yep, it's fun to read a great log entry, but, for the "TFTF" entry I give it about as much thought as the time it took me to read it (which is neither positive or negative).

Your spending way too much time thinking and writing about what you don't like. Here's a suggestion, put the following guidelines on each of your cache pages. "This cache may only be logged by intelligent, literate individuals willing to enter missives of 100 words minimum. Failure to do so will result in deleted logs."

Your desire for others to satisfy YOUR "enjoyment of this part of the game" is unrealistic. Perhaps you should be playing for THEIR enjoyment?

I for one will keep it short and sweet if I am on a major caching trip. Trying to recall which cache was which after a 30 cache find day is difficult. Usually there is not enough daylight to try to write a note in a log book in the truck. I am talking about being in the backcountry with tough caches climbing the hills and such. Now if you are in a city enviroment then that would be doable.

Plus I will log short and sweet and then come back and update with additional info and pics after all caches have been logged in.

Although you could go to the extremes like we do .. I think my biggest log is 797 words (there have been many times where I'm told I have to remove characters as I've hit the max).

I really try to write about the adventure, but there are times such as the LPC's that just about makes it impossible to write more then a few lines.

When we go out we try to have fun, and it's so much easier when the cache placer has helped you to do that.. Take for example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2e-e1507f5caa32

Here in Vancouver we are very blessed to have creative cachers for hides and web pages.. there are others in this series that aren't puzzles - Scruff is one of them.

But if we keep in mind as cache placers that we want good logs - we better be very willing to set up good caches, with good pages, creative cache containers, photos on the cache pages and help make it an experience for the cacher. - Making sure the fun stays in geocaching!

The length of our online logs depend on the quality of the cache that we've found. If we've just found a lamp-skirt or bee box micro, it's obvious that the hider didn't put much of an effort into hiding the actual cache, so we tend to keep our logs as brief as possible. I mean, what are we really going to say? "Thanks for bringing us to the Best Buy parking lot. It was an awesome adventure".

If we've found a cache in a park, on a trail, in the wilderness or even a cleverly placed urban micro, than we tend to write a more appreciative log.

The better the cache, the better the log.

A cache neaby had 87 finds and, from the logs, appeared to be better than average. A few days ago I received the following archive notice in my notifications email.

A TFTF log what the heck. Well I am removing this one. Nice job on that log. TFTF maybe just don't find the cache. A log like that is a real insult."

Oh well.

This is a typical log for me. This one is from GCGVAY, Shorelands Tower, a cache in a beautiful wetlands preserve.

Slender cattails with their cottoned crowns

Bending gently down in autumn's heat

Shading curlews hidden in tufted downs

That run where grass and wetland meet

Deep in the golden tangled reeds

That spring like spearheads from the wet

Hop frog and cricket; and call sight unseen

Snowy gull, gray plover, wading avocet

Amber and chestnut, rust and gold

The warm moss green of secret ponds

These are the colors of a year turned old

Then white snow will dust these summer fronds

"In all things in nature, there is something of the marvelous" - Aristotle

This log took me 15 minutes to write. The quote below the poem was written on the entrance sign to the wetlands area, which I copied down into my notebook as I left, along with snippets of visuals like "tufted downs" or the names of birds or plants I saw there. I usually get an inspiration from each cache, either from the name of the cache, the location, or something that happened during my cache hunt. Usually, if I have nothing else to say, I can come up with a couplet or a four-line rhymer or a haiku, but even on nanos under lamp post skirts, I write poems for nearly every cache I seek. I enjoy them, because I enjoy writing. They aren't necessarily or usually good poems, but even as bad as they are, they seem to please the cache owners (I get lots of emails), and they exercise my mind and serve as a diary of where I went and what I saw.

How can I lose?

BlueDamsel

Reading this thread has made me appreciate how awesome Japanese cachers are about writing logs. A lot of them complain that they can`t speak English, but even so they try and I hardly ever see a TNLNSL TFTC log here. And when they use automatic translation programs, the results are sometimes unintentionally hilarious! Here`s one of my favorite logs left on one of mine:

There are not the monkey which is mind content a waterfall getting snack of a small child and a state to be shaken by an encounter, a large number of spectators.

Comfortable wind flows before a waterfall. Thank you for leading it to a wonderful place.

Since I know the place and I know Japanese I understand just what he wanted to say, but when taken out of context . . . :)

Comfortable wind flows before a waterfall. Thank you for leading it to a wonderful place.

For an automatic translation program, that was remarkably poetic!

BD : haiku - I like that idea. Not that I have any insight into the art form, but it should be good for a chuckle if used occasionally for the right cache. Maybe limericks are more appropriate for me...

I think limericks might be too racy for this site. Lets try it...

A daring young woman named Alice,

used a dynamite stick as a... whoops, maybe not. >)

limericks need not be racy, just as sonnets need not be about love.

it's all about form.

simple logs are often elegant; cut-and-pastes rarely are.

The length of our online logs depend on the quality of the cache that we've found. If we've just found a lamp-skirt or bee box micro, it's obvious that the hider didn't put much of an effort into hiding the actual cache, so we tend to keep our logs as brief as possible. I mean, what are we really going to say? "Thanks for bringing us to the Best Buy parking lot. It was an awesome adventure".

If we've found a cache in a park, on a trail, in the wilderness or even a cleverly placed urban micro, than we tend to write a more appreciative log.

The better the cache, the better the log.

I do this and so do a lot of people. If some owners are tired of short logs then they have the power to increase the average log length with better future hides.

I often take the time to write something about the cache in my logs. Some logs are longer than others, but if there is something noteworthy of the cache, I'll mention it. Occasionally I'll email the cache owner instead. One local cacher seems to criticize my logs no matter what I say. If I say their cache is a nice easy one, I get an email complaining that by saying that, someone may think the cache is too easy. If I comment that the cache was really hard (couldn't find it) and I need to go back with reinforcements, I get a long email asking why I had to write it in the log. It seems no matter what I say, even when I specifically say something really nice about the cache, they complain. For those cachers, I now sign my logs SL. All others, I say something nice about the cache.

I do enjoy reading the logs of those who find my caches, and want to do the same for others. I think cache owners appreciate the time spent on writing about your experience finding their cache. I wish more people would take the time to tell about their experience.

I always like seeing the logs especially from the cool and hard hides. Lately I have noticed some logs as simple as : ) and that's it. I almost scratch my head and wonder did that person really go there? Did they really find it? I was even thinking about possibly putting something in the description like: "Minimum 5 word requirement for logging or your log will be deleted" I probably wouldnt put it on there though but it was just a thought.

I noticed logs started to drop off in quality with the advent of GSAK and other direct to GPS data methods. Carrying 500 locations on a chip is easy, carrying a few printed sheets made people stop and think. I think the growth of speed caching and park and grab hides killed a lot of the original spirit too. How else can one log a Wal Maht lamp pole other than "Uninspired. Fail"?

"Twitter-Mentality" will further wound eloquent logging. Txt msg has already shown up from cell phone found caches.

Just an observation.

I noticed logs started to drop off in quality with the advent of GSAK and other direct to GPS data methods. Carrying 500 locations on a chip is easy, carrying a few printed sheets made people stop and think. I think the growth of speed caching and park and grab hides killed a lot of the original spirit too. How else can one log a Wal Maht lamp pole other than "Uninspired. Fail"?

"Twitter-Mentality" will further wound eloquent logging. Txt msg has already shown up from cell phone found caches.

Just an observation.

Just an observation.

My thoughts exactly! :)

Just an observation.

My thoughts exactly! :)

The speed cachers can't be bothered with looking for caches with high terrain ratings. Those that hunt this type of cache rarely possess the "twitter mentality." :)

People who can't take the time to write an informative log have been one of my pet peaves for a long time. Especially "cut and paste" logs. It's like a slap in the face to those of us who take the time and effort to place a decent cache. The least the cache finder can do is type a little about their adventure.

I don't think it is a slap in the face at all.

I'm just glad people come to my caches, if they write a lot fine...if they write TNLN then fine. But they took the time to find my cache...and that was the purpose of me putting it there.

i'm not at all impressed or gratified if some number whore considers my cache to be worth a quick drive-up.

i am, however pleased if the cache means anything to them. maybe i put it there for a view, or a challenge or even a fun way to make gifts of good swag, but i NEVER put one out to fulfill somebody's blurred-vision-gosh-look-at-me-aren't-i -somebody-too-busy-to-write-logs-thanks-to-all-the-little-people-hope-you-understand-number-whore-run.

you find a hundred caches in a day? i don't care.

you find a hundred caches in a day and write actual logs for them, you are my hero. i bow before you.

I noticed logs started to drop off in quality with the advent of GSAK and other direct to GPS data methods. Carrying 500 locations on a chip is easy, carrying a few printed sheets made people stop and think.
I think that PQs and paperless caching resulted in many changes to the game. It certainly caused many people to develop the attitude that they should just load their cache data and hit the road, with the expectation that every cache they wander up to should amuse them. Previously, we all printed out the cache pages and actually looked at them to decide if we wanted to hunt the caches.
I think the growth of speed caching and park and grab hides killed a lot of the original spirit too. How else can one log a Wal Maht lamp pole other than "Uninspired. Fail"?
I'm thinking that there would be many ways to log that was less snarky.

People who can't take the time to write an informative log have been one of my pet peaves for a long time. Especially "cut and paste" logs. It's like a slap in the face to those of us who take the time and effort to place a decent cache. The least the cache finder can do is type a little about their adventure.

I'm just glad people come to my caches, if they write a lot fine...if they write TNLN then fine. But they took the time to find my cache...and that was the purpose of me putting it there.

yep

yep

Not me, but i see the game a lot differently than others. To me, part of geocaching is the log. If you want to cut and paste a log, why not just skip our cache?

We haven't had a pill bottle in a bush type at a fast food or a LPC. All of ours are probably going to be memorable. We put effort into making them interesting, different or finding a neat place to come and visit. We want to hear your experience. We want to know what you think of our cache. We want to hear about it. What happened that was interesting?

We just see things differently than most.