The lost art of logging

9Key

Pardon me, but the simple truth is that some of us don't wax eloquent in online logs because it is worthless jibber-jabber. I imagine these are the same folks who abhor chit-chatting on the telephone for no good reason. If you have something interesting to say, get to the point. Otherwise, don't ruin the silence.

Pardon me, but the simple truth is that some of us don't wax eloquent in online logs because it is worthless jibber-jabber. I imagine these are the same folks who abhor chit-chatting on the telephone for no good reason. If you have something interesting to say, get to the point. Otherwise, don't ruin the silence.

Two negative posts in one day? And the other one about how people are losers because they chat a lot? Looks like surgery might be needed to remove that stick. Direct and to the point enough for ya?

Edited by TotemLake

Two negative posts in one day? And the other one about how people are losers because they chat a lot? Looks like surgery might be needed to remove that stick. Direct and to the point enough for ya?

He's negative simply because he doesn't agree with your point of view?

Also, did you notice that in your post calling him negative, you were four times as rude as he was?

Also, did you notice that in your post calling him negative, you were four times as rude as he was?

Yup.

-=-=edited to add=-=-

As my point illustrates, it is very easy to be rude and disrespectful. It takes an effort to produce an opinion without stooping to a level that becomes less than polite.

It's called treating people with the same level of respect you expect to receive.

I could care less he has a negative opinion. But his post made me look at his recent postings to see what triggered him. Nothing. He came on and called people losers for being high count chatters in the lurking thread then pressed his point here. He received what he gave. A lousy contribution.

Edited by TotemLake

Yup. It's called treating people with the same level of respect you expect to receive.
You've chose to be rude with the understanding that rudeness will come back to you. Interesting.

Kind of a reverse golden rule, huh?

Edited by sbell111

Yup. It's called treating people with the same level of respect you expect to receive.
You've chose to be rude with the understanding that rudeness will come back to you. Interesting.

Kind of a reverse golden rule, huh?

Absolutely. Sometimes you have to step into the pit to illustrate the issue.

I'll also point you to a quote - which coincidentally is his signature.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Take this off-line if you wish to continue it. I'll be happy to give you my opinion on the responsibilities of the village. :P

Pardon me, but the simple truth is that some of us don't wax eloquent.... If you have something interesting to say, get to the point...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

I pulled out the jibber jabber bits of your post to leave the valid point.

I quoted your signature because good men should at least post a log knowing it's a good thing. As opposed to doing nothing.

If I was interested in writing eloquent logs I'd stay home and write a book but I'd rather go caching and I grow weary of reading the "chit chat" in the logs. I aim for one sentence logs. Honestly some people are just too wordy.

oooh, ouch. i know who THAT's aimed at.

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

Yes, I know, an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log and that's not what I'm talking about (I don't hide those anyway). What I'm ranting about today is the poor quality of online logs on quality caches.

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list. Many newbies seem to start off logging with the dreaded acronyms and never get away from it unfortunately.

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative". I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache. Its really not hard and only takes a few seconds longer than the "TNLNSL - TFTC" carp.

Here's a short list of things you can comment on if you can't think of anything to write in an online log:

* what was the weather like?

* see any animals, pretty flowers, nudists, etc?

* condition of the cache?

* logbook full?

* condition of swag?

* easy to find? tough?

* coordinate accuracy - good or bad?

* accuracy of terrain and difficulty ratings

* travel bug inventory

* history of the area

* memories of previous caches in the area

* comment on the state of the cache's camo, or lack there of

* did you like the cache?

* any park weirdos?

* talk to any muggles or LEO's?

I could go on and on!

Don't get me started on put-and-paste logs... :rolleyes:

Spot on.

I was active in 2001 and I'm only now getting back into this hobby with my 5 year old son.

I was AMAZED at the crappy quality of logs people leave these days.

I guess it is this age of text messaging, crappy state of our educrat system, and people in a big FAT hurry to hit numbers. I'm teaching my boy to cache the "old fashioned" way. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I don't write more than a sentence, sometimes two -but still..... a sentence requires WORDS and punctuation. Not this TNLNSL - TFTC crap. I looked up what was around me to plan our first finds together and found I can no longer read logs since I don't own a decoder ring.

It reminds me of when we were kids our parents made sure that we wrote a "Thank you" letter whenever we received a gift. It didn't matter that it wasn't exactly what you'd hoped for - Auntie Susan had gone out and got something and wrapped it up for you and the least you could do was to say "thank you" properly. So you got out your coloured pencils, stuck your tongue between your front teeth and tried your best to write "Thank you for my present" in a straight line. And Auntie Susan really appreciated that bit of extra effort :rolleyes:

Some people just need to try a bit harder. :rolleyes:

MrsB

If someone finds a cache of mine, all I want to know is if it's in good shape or needs some work done to it. I don't care if it was a life altering experience for them or not. This is just something I like to do when I get time, my life doesn't revolve around it. I set up a yahoo mail account that all the geocaching e-mails go to so they don't clog up my regular e-mail. It's supposed to be a game, some people take this stuff way too seriously.

If someone finds a cache of mine, all I want to know is if it's in good shape or needs some work done to it. I don't care if it was a life altering experience for them or not. This is just something I like to do when I get time, my life doesn't revolve around it. I set up a yahoo mail account that all the geocaching e-mails go to so they don't clog up my regular e-mail. It's supposed to be a game, some people take this stuff way too seriously.

I would agree, I have quite a few caches i own and you come to relize that some people like telling a story and some just write "tftc tnln and i didn't see any snakes" or something to that tune

If I was interested in writing eloquent logs I'd stay home and write a book but I'd rather go caching and I grow weary of reading the "chit chat" in the logs. I aim for one sentence logs. Honestly some people are just too wordy.

oooh, ouch. i know who THAT's aimed at.

I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. Some people enjoy writing their logs and others like reading them and that's just fine. But if there is some unwritten unsaid expectation that we all should spend our free time outside of caching to writing cache logs, well.....I for one have no interest. (And Flask I have on occasion taken the time to read some of your logs and they have brought a smile)

Edited by VermontLife

DH and I are new to geocaching. One of my favorite things is reading through logs of caches we have visited or will visit. I can spend hours just reading through them (OK, I'm a geek. :unsure: ) I try to put in something interesting, but sometimes I'll do the TFTC if nothing interesting happened.

My mother and I had a difference of opinion about logs. She thought I should write one thing, and I tend to be wordy and novel-esque so here's how it went:

"It was a very rainy day, and we just came back from Agate Days in town. We were soaking wet but wanted to nab this cache before cleaning up and hitting the road home. We took bets on which leg of the trail to use but found, in the end, that both worked equally as well.

My mother said, "It was a nice walk in a pretty park." [i told her that if she only wrote that on a log, it would be a pretty pathetic one! So I wanted to include a little more detail. (of course, I'm reading this to her out loud as I type it, and we're getting a chuckle.)

My son said, "um. I have nothing to say." :unsure: But we're staring at him, so he's feeling a little self conscious)] TFTC!"

My son said, "um. I have nothing to say." :unsure: But we're staring at him, so he's feeling a little self conscious)] TFTC!"

That would be my husband. He hates to write anything, so I have to log or we probably wouldn't log anything. He might do TFTC, but that would be it. Edited by Pottersarah

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

I remember when caches were all in neat places with neat things to do or see. I remember being introduced to cool areas through geocaching. Then came parking lot micros, and the logs went down hill from there....

Well I have to admit, I am not the best writer of logs.

However, I refuse to use the TNLNSL stuff or TFTC.

For some reason that really kind of makes me angry.

I mean it only takes a few seconds to type it out.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think it is disrespectful to use Acronyms.

However, some caches are pretty lame and it is hard to say something interesting in your logs.

*cough* *cough* (lamp post micros) *cough* * cough*

But jeesh spell things out!

I mean, how hard is it to type:

"Found this one today quickly. Enjoyed the surroundings, and took a few mintues to take it all in.

If not for the cache being placed here, I would have never known about this place.

Took nothing, left a ________, Signed the log book. Thank you for the cache."

Also include anything funny that may have occurred while searching for the cache.

Just sayin'

This was the most interesting Micro log I have had so far:

June 19 by hockeychik.com (164 found)

Well, this one was very challenging, being that it had fallen.

but being the resourceful woman that I have been taught to be.......

I had an emergency kit in my car. In this emergency kit there was a roll of duct tape. mtn-man found a rather long stick nearby. So we began to work in McGyver fashion and proceeded to roll duct tape with the sticky side out over the end of the stick.

We then made several attempts to fish the cache out of it's hiding place. After more than 15 tries we fished it out!

We would not be denied!

Signed the log.

Repaired the cache and put it in its proper place.

Thanks for the laughs, oh yeah and the cache!

"A writer should concern himself with whatever absorbs his fancy, stirs his heart, and unlimbers his typewriter.... A writer has the duty to be good, not lousy; true, not false; lively, not dull; accurate, not full of error. He should tend to lift people up, not lower them down."

E.B. White

I saw a cacher address 80 logs in one day with........."Such a wonderful cache! We get to meet so many

interesting people! Thanks for the cache!"

This same cut and paste was on 80 logs!

I must be doing something wrong, taking time to put in individual comments about each cache.

I bet I could increase my cache found count WAY up there if I would just change my sorry bumm ways!

I could be..................A CONTENDER!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I saw a cacher address 80 logs in one day with........."Such a wonderful cache! We get to meet so many

interesting people! Thanks for the cache!"

This same cut and paste was on 80 logs!

I must be doing something wrong, taking time to put in individual comments about each cache.

I bet I could increase my cache found count WAY up there if I would just change my sorry bumm ways!

I could be..................A CONTENDER!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Worse yet (in my mind) was when I saw where someone logged 3 finds for the day with a "1 of 3 TFTC". It was a new cacher who was just following the ways of other cachers' logs.

This is my favorite thread that I have read so far. Just wanted the OP to know that I have been inspired to do a better job with my logs. I had assumed that it was normal to write short to the point logs, and I actually had edited myself quite harshly when we started caching, as I have always been somewhat wordy. Now I write what I want and I thank you for that. ;)

I'm still fairly new at the game, and from reading all of the TNLNSL type logs, "assumed" that was proper form for logging a find (if that's what the folks who have a few thousand finds leave, that must be how you do it....) I try to write more if there is something specific ( cache is missing lid, log is soaked, needs new log, found scary big snake in the tree above the cache...) but frequently I haven't left more interesting logs. Thanks for showing me the error of my logging ways - I'll try to do better. :unsure:

According to StatGen:

Log Length, words: Average: 60, Longest: GCZJWT 407, Shortest: GCN5D7 2

I know that when someone logs one of my caches with something more than a one liner I appreciate it. So in all fairness my logs also will tell a story of my adventure, or why I was in the area, or the conditions onsite. Any log that has substance is good in my book, since this is why I place caches. To give a finder an experience and hopefully they can share the good or bad with me as well.

To me caches with short logs tell a story too, that they are so boring or bad that no one could think of anything good to say at all. So if you own a cache that consistently has short logs, consider it a hint to the quality of the cache.

It would seem that with your number of placements that "copy and paste" would be your #1 complaint about logging your caches...."Copy and paste" with pertinent comments are good logs. With out the pertinent comments, they are my most undesirable log, but I use copy and paste also. I'm just glad that cachers find my caches and log them....Happy Trails

I totally agree that short log listings do tell a story and if they show up on my hides I start to pay attention... except when they show up from a particular cacher on a bunch of my hides with the same short log entry. In that sense I just ignore it.

From http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com

Average log size: 60.3 words - Biggest log: 322 words - Shortest log: 8 words - Number of one-word logs: 0

Both the 322 words and the 8 words tell a story but my favorite thing is the fact that caches have inspired me to write around 45,000 words in log entries :rolleyes:

According to StatGen:

Log Length, words: Average: 60, Longest: GCZJWT 407, Shortest: GCN5D7 2

I know that when someone logs one of my caches with something more than a one liner I appreciate it. So in all fairness my logs also will tell a story of my adventure, or why I was in the area, or the conditions onsite. Any log that has substance is good in my book, since this is why I place caches. To give a finder an experience and hopefully they can share the good or bad with me as well.

To me caches with short logs tell a story too, that they are so boring or bad that no one could think of anything good to say at all. So if you own a cache that consistently has short logs, consider it a hint to the quality of the cache.

It's almost as if it's understood you're supposed to leave a 5 word log for a parking lot micro. Personally, I wouldn't know. Even though I did apparently drop a two word log on someone once. :rolleyes: Here's mine:

Average log size: 80 words - Biggest log: 390 words - Shortest log: 2 words - Number of one-word logs: 0

Wow,

I'm new to all this and do believe I am guilty of non-descriptive short logs. I will do my best to do better from this point, and I have had a great time finding caches -- a few on my own and more with my 10yr old daughter--

I have redone my lame online logs, paper logs will have to stay the same.

Edited by MatieA

here's a log quoted in its entirety: found.

and a quote from another: the clams may not be feeling well, but it's 11:45 and they have spoken to the choreographer.

which cache was worse?

The first by a long shot IMHO.... at least I had some entertainment with the second trying to figure out what they were implying (or smoking). The worst I think I ever had was someone finding a load of my hides and on every page entering "k". I live for those long stories which is why I try to hide hides that will inspire them, but some people just can't put two words together to save their mouse :)

and a quote from another: the clams may not be feeling well, but it's 11:45 and they have spoken to the choreographer.

which cache was worse?

The 2nd one. Because no one who hasn't been around for 5+ years, and was a forum regular, would have any idea what the 2nd one means. The first one is probably a lame log on a quality cache. Do I win anything?

which cache was worse?

No way to tell from just those logs. I'd prefer to find them both and make my own decision. :lol:

Since a few others seem to be proud of their numbers, here's mine:

Average log size: 40.2 words - Biggest log: 642 words - Shortest log: 0 word - Number of one-word logs: 1

Yes, that's a zero word log there. Does that indicate a bad cache? Here's the log- you decide.

But if there is some unwritten unsaid expectation that we all should spend our free time outside of caching to writing cache logs, well.....I for one have no interest

It appears you do spend time looking for caches and enjoying the experience. This thread is really saying that the people who have helped to give you that enjoyment (that is, the cache owners) simply appreciate a little thanks, in the form of your log. No one is forcing you to be polite, but it is "some unwritten unsaid expectation" in life, that when someone gives you something, you thank them. If they gave you a bad experience then you are justified (most on this thread think) in writing short logs.

Edited by CapeDoc

which cache was worse?

The 2nd one. Because no one who hasn't been around for 5+ years, and was a forum regular, would have any idea what the 2nd one means. The first one is probably a lame log on a quality cache. Do I win anything?

both logs were mine.

both caches sucked.

one was a wet gladware under a bush. the other was a reasonably nice container stuck in a guardrail with no safe parking and lots of poison ivy.

prefer caching over writing a log that much?

good thing the cache hiders took the time and made the effort to hide those caches you so like to hunt. maybe they also prefer the hunt but spent some of their quality time so other could enjoy another hunt.

the only reason not to post a good log is that the cache has no appeal and is just a +1

all the others you should pay your respect and be greatfull to the hider by writing some words.

too much to ask? then dont break the silence here. most people here enjoy communicating.

Edited by Guinness70

Well i never realized until i started hiding how much i didn't care for the TNLNSL logs.

so even if its a LPC i try to say something different about each hide i find, but if its harder i tend to write more and if its got a container that had some time put into it i'll acknowledge the fact i liked the camo.

I do have to admit though i only have one hard cache, it does tend to get better logs and theres a few cachers here in phoenix area that write nice logs whether its a hard or easy hide.

Ah yes, the lost art of logging. I agree, it's nice to read more than "tftf" on a cache page. However, not all descriptive logs necessarily achieve their desired effect. For example, here's a log I wrote for a simple 1/1 P&G cache a few months back:

"FTF! This was the third of three FTFs for me on the last leg of a geocaching trip to the SE part of the state that began in Edmond and involved a route through McAlester, Talihina, the Talimena and Robbers Cave State Parks, Muskogee, Jamesville, and Broken Arrow (where my son's HS band competition was being held), before heading back to Edmond. As it turned out, this was also the most eventful and memorable find of the day!

I knew I'd need to make my way over to Broken Arrow from Robbers Cave and, having observed that this cache had remained unlogged for all of three weeks since being published, I decided to detour out here to find it. So, I duly navigated my way north across Lake Eufaula to Muskogee before heading west. I was feeling pretty good about myself as I approached the cache site and anticipated a quick and easy P&G. However, when I eventually saw where the cache was situated, I'll confess that my heart sank to my boots. You see, the Jamesville Y Bar is not exactly the kind of establishment I care to be seen poking about on a Saturday afternoon. In fact, the last time I went looking for a cache outside a bar - the Muddy Waters Club in Guthrie one night - I tried to take a picture of the building for my log and my flash went off right in the face of a biker patron who'd just left the premises. As I recall, he yelled out at me while I offered apologies, jumped back into my car, and hastily departed the scene!

Anyway, as I drove by the cache site trying to decide what to do next, I noticed a man standing outside one of the buildings to the east of where the cache appeared to be. However, having come so far, I decided to go for it. Returned to the bar and parked outside. There were a pick-up and a bike parked there, the door was wide open, and I could hear both male and female voices coming from within. Hopped out and followed my GPSr into a clump of bushes containing some old discarded refrigerator equipment. However, it soon pointed away into more open ground but the problem was that the man I'd seen before was still there. I stood quietly in the bushes hoping that he'd soon go away and eventually he did. He picked up a shovel, threw it across his shoulder, and walked off to a trailer on the east side of the lot. So, I left the relative safety of the bushes and made my way to where it seemed the cache should be. However, as I poked around on the ground, I spotted the man with the shovel heading back in my direction. There was no way of escaping notice now so I decided to put on a brave face and explain to him exactly what I was doing. Surprisingly, after viewing me with an early hint of suspicion, he became very cordial. He told me that the service station was destroyed in a fire many years ago and that the owner had died last year. It seems as though the owner's relatives now run the bar. I also learned that this place can get extremely crowded when the bikers are in town! Anyway, having determined that the man, who later told me his name was Gene, seemed semi-interested in geocaching at best, I decided to proceed with my search right in front of him. I soon plucked the container out from its hiding position, sat down next to Gene, and opened it up .... another FTF .... woo hoo! Signed the log and, after replacing the cache, took a few pictures of Gene with my cell phone camera. He's a very friendly and laid back chap and will probably keep an eye on the cache for you.

Now, some of you may be surprised to know that the Jamesville Y Bar actually has its own website. In fact, you might also be interested to know that Tonya needs some help at the bar. According to their ad, they "wanna gal with spunk, charimsa, someone who loves even the most irriating f**er when he's drunk and definately someone who likes to work and will work". So, if any of you lady cachers are contemplating a career change in these hard times, you might want to check this out! :ph34r:

T - TB, L - signature FTF wooden token, SL. TFTC!"

I also embellished the log with a few pics including the two below:

719efa4f-646c-4a51-9501-818e1d1d5747.jpg

27c11ecc-1566-498a-92bc-14f326069ef5.jpg

Now, I was very proud of this effort. It had taken me over an hour to compile and to get just right. I thought that it was both funny and informative. Many would read it and be astonished at my literary ability. Kudos to me. But guess what? Less than two weeks later the cache owner archived a large number of his caches including this one. I had been the only person to find it. The only reason he gave was, "Because." I could only shake my head and laugh. I saw the CO, a highly respected local geocacher, at our monthly meeting a few weeks later and asked him about it. He said he was having some personal issues at the time and I didn't delve further. But all the time and effort I had taken into writing my magnificent log had gone the way of the wind ............. until now, heh, heh! :lol:

Edited by JamGuys

Actually, the best way to encourage better log writing is to lead by example. Sure, not everyone has either the time or the inclination to do more than the bare minimum but by writing a decent log yourself, you might just encourage a few wallflowers in your area to shed their inhibitions and discover a creative and entertaining new aspect of the sport! :ph34r:

Edited by JamGuys

Actually, the best way to encourage better log writing is to lead by example. Sure, not everyone has either the time or the inclination to do more than the bare minimum but by writing a decent log yourself, you might just encourage a few wallflowers in your area to shed their inhibitions and discover a creative and entertaining new aspect of the sport! :ph34r:

Positive reinforcement is a good technique too.

I recently got a note from a cache owner mentioning how much she enjoyed our groups logs especially as compared to the typical TFTC (we tend to embellish what really happened, keeps logging fun, but I hope no logs are ever used as evidence in future litigation :-) ), was a nice note to get !

She did have an ulterior motive, this was an infrequently found cache and she was wondering about a particular geocoin...Anyway it taught me that I should really try to look for and log all trackables listed in the cache (this cache was packed with stuff and had 3 or 4 TBs, so we didn't even notice a missing geocoin)