The lost art of logging

9Key

Okay, the problem is most cachers are too polite.

If a cache is lousy - average I tend to write almost nothing except that I found it and report the condtion of the cache. Recently I am getting more sarcastic... ie Wheeeeee! I love looking on a public street for a Nano stuck to a meaningless street sign. Or... Found the cache, could the hiding spot been any more obvious.

If the cache was better than average than I will take the time to write a long note and post a picture. If your caches are getting nothing but short postings maybe its partially your fault. If your cache is not noteworthy don't expect people to actually write something except "got it".

What is actually lost is the Art of a GOOD CACHE. People drop them any old place for no reason at all, with completely obvious hides. Or place nanos on ever metal sign they can find. The caches that get long write ups are the ones that take me to a unique place, a nice hike, a good hide, a nice container etc etc etc...

Honestly they need to implement a rule. Can't hide/post a cache until you have found X total caches (not all nano or micro) The hope is that people will experience a "good cache" before they set out to hide one.

I have been a fan of this thread since 9Key posted it last August. Unfortunately, I do not have a readily available solution to his lament as I am one of those who has changed his logging style. I am now what RK deems a parasite. I could attempt to explain why that is, but that would throw this thread off topic. Rather, allow me first to document how my first logging change came about. That may provide some perspective as to how logging has changed.

Before I ceased logging online, I wrote logs that detailed a bumbling cacher fortunate to find his way home, let alone a cache. While that was factual, the emphasis of the logs were on the misfortunes I encountered. There was anonymity at that time. It was fun and there was some back-and-forth play in the logs with other unknown cachers.

All that changed once I met the caching community. Prior to the first event I attended, I had met but a couple folks on the trail. When I walked into the Burger King people called me by name. That freaked me out. With each log, I posted photographs. The effect of that was that everyone knew me. At that event, the local caching community began to form. And immediately I was placed in an uncomfortable position.

Out with some of the "big names" for some caching, the first place we went had two caches hidden. It was decided to split into two groups and log both caches, despite having only visited one. That one event erased the magic geocaching held for me. All of a sudden I had what, for me, amounted to an ethical issue with what we had done. It bothered me so much I drove 90 minutes one way at a later date to find the other cache that I had logged.

Interestingly, I met a few people at that event who became friends. We then began caching together frequently. That hampered writing self-deprecating logs as they would follow (or proceed) with the "straight" logs.

At this time the number of caches locally began to take off. Like many have lamented previously, I felt the quality of the then-current crop dropped. 9Key acknowledged what many have witnessed over the years, people emulate what they see others doing (monkey see, monkey do). Now, the magic was gone and the quality, for me, was dropping.

I began keeping two sets of logs in my database: a public one and a private one. Unfortunately, I made some mistakes when I posted my logs online and published the "private" ones. I would delete them and upload the correct log, but the damage had been done. Even so, there were some memorable logs during this period.

The After Effect

It wasn't long after that that I ceased logging online altogether. At that point, not much was lost. Sanitized, short logs were the norm publicly.

Honestly Logging

Many folks state that we should be honest in our logs and that will make a difference. As a matter of fact, I am posting here spurred on by the post of av8tors32. I recognize the handle. I found a cache of his/theirs after I ceased logging online. He stated above:

. . .

What is actually lost is the Art of a GOOD CACHE. People drop them any old place for no reason at all, with completely obvious hides. Or place nanos on ever metal sign they can find. The caches that get long write ups are the ones that take me to a unique place, a nice hike, a good hide, a nice container etc etc etc...

Honestly they need to implement a rule. Can't hide/post a cache until you have found X total caches (not all nano or micro) The hope is that people will experience a "good cache" before they set out to hide one.

Here is the log from my database for the av8tors32 cache I found. I wouldn't characterize the log as "too polite." I do not think having posted that would have changed anything. Do you, av8tors?

I have attempted to document what a good cache is. Folks railed on me for that. What I have since learned is that everyone approaches geocaching from his own perspective . . . as do I. So, I then posted my approach to caching, understanding that not everyone approaches it as I do, but at least they would know what to expect from my caches. That has not been well-received either.

I would have preferred to have written a different kind of log for av8tors32's cache, but I had no audience at that point.

Audience

And that seems to be the crux of 9Key's lament. Online logging supposes an audience. I removed myself from the geocaching community for numerous reasons. I no longer have an audience to write for. I am okay with that; I write for myself most times (including now).

My logs are a pretty good length, in general, these days. My logs now document, pretty much in a factual manner, my experience finding a cache. I am not against adding commentary if I feel like it. I sometimes embed a running story throughout caches that I found during the day, trying to find a different voice that would make the experience of documenting a past event more exciting for me. Those logs, for the most part, remain stored privately in my databases. Every now and then I publish a few on my site when the mood strikes.

So why post this publicly to an audience? Every now and then it seems profitable to share one's perspective even if others do not agree with it.

Most issues with geocaching have different facets. Often it appears there are but two perspectives, neither understanding the other. I see this issue from a perspective I have not seen represented yet. I agree that online logging has changed since I began caching. I have changed how I log since I began caching. Caching has changed since I began caching. I think they are inter-related and as a whole, I would not characterize it as a positive. But what is one to do? Drone on about the good ol' days or move forward?

While I lament the lost art of logging, I move forward.

Moving Forward

Moving forward, for me, has entailed changing my expectations from cache finders. If a cacher wants to post images of clouds giving me the finger, so be it. If cachers want to complain about puzzles being too hard, so be it. If cachers want to eschew my caches because they can't be FTF, so be it.

I am confident there are some(one) out there who understand my approach and appreciates my caches. If the one, some, the majority, all want to post nondescript, uninteresting logs, so be it. I understand the lament. I document this issue, as I have many others, for that is how I feel at this time. But in the end, I move forward.

Posting may have not change that particular cache but other PEOPLE do read the logs... and perhaps, just maybe someone else might have changed how they hid there next cache.

The cache was placed in an attempt to get my father into the sport. He frequently checked the cache and from what he could see the coordinates were right. After a few seasoned cachers posted better cords I of course quickly changed them. Ever time I visit my father I pull routine maintenance on the cache and if you care to check you can see the cache is still in place with 92 finds and 22 posted images (not too bad for a park cache) Some of the write ups and good but many are the equivalent of FOUND IT. Again this is much better than I expected for a park hide.

At the time this cache was placed the only caches in this park were a micro laying on the ground and a old small cracked plastic Tupperware thing, that had not ever been maintained. We wanted to place a good container that moved people along the edge of the pond that lies behind the park. If you go to the cache page you will find that many found and enjoyed the wildlife and pond we were trying to direct them to. Awesome cache? absolutely not... but given the geographical location, large forested areas for great hikes is errr ummm in short supply.

Pristine Location

So back to the write ups. If you look at this mediocre cache you will find that people write when they encounter something worth writing about. Whether it be animals, mud, or just a strange looking tree. I have also found that people that cache with their children are much more likely to write more and post pictures. Joe Solo running around trying to get the max number of caches in one day to boost their numbers is hardly ever going to write much more than "found it"

So for me.

Take me somewhere...make it a hike, doesn't have to be ultra long but please don't let me be able to cache from my car. Think of the kids. Lots of people cache with their kids. Have a nice sturdy, water tight container that will require little maintenance. (I prefer the good old ammo box) I hate when I make a nice long write up only to have the cache archived the next month.

For Batona... you sound like your burnt out and/or have let some unpleasant experiences sour you. Perhaps you should step back and evaluate the reasons/goals for caching. If your meeting those goals who gives a rats behind what other people think. Personally, I think you should post your thoughts on the cache pages. You never know who might read them in the future and how those posting might shape their caching experience. If you had actually posted on Pristine Location, you would have gotten my reply in a note explaining the reason for the cache and its location... might have been great for people to read. Its through meaningful conversation between two passionate people that other can learn quite a bit.

Being new to the sport - I have yet to hide any caches myself - and have only found 7 - I enjoy writing about my adventure in the logs. My problem is trying not to give anything away to other cachers (if I think I will do that, then I encrypt my logs). I know not all cache hunts will be that adventurous, but I do agree that it's not a matter of "Yes, I found it, thanks." :laughing:

As a newbie I am still learning the proper etiquette and all the acronyms for logging. But I have tried to write more than just TFTC, but we all get lazy now and then to.

I love to read the logs of the cachers that made the find before me, and those that have found the one cache that I have hidden so far. The experience of the hunt is why I cache not the numbers, and from now on I will try to share that experience with the owners of the caches I find. Thank's for bringing this part of the sport to everyone's attention.

I also just read in "todaysCacher" about a liars cache check it out at: www.todayscacher.com

Under cool caches .

The log that is left all depends on the cache and the experience one has in finding it.

Here are a couple of somewhat wordy logs I left today:

"Breathless"

B.B. Exit

While the above caches may not be all that memorable, the un-expected find and the people encountered, however, were memorable.

For this cache:

Adopt-A-Park: Pequeno Park

There really was nothing special/exciting/memorable about finding it. In this case, a TFTH is about all you can expect and the only purpose it serves is to add to ones found count.

Wheeeeee! I love looking on a public street for a Nano stuck to a meaningless street sign. Or... Found the cache, could the hiding spot been any more obvious.

Well, if I saw that on one of my cache pages.......it wouldn't be there for long.

I seriously don't think that would make someone want to hide a more thoughtful cache.

If a cache is lousy - average I tend to write almost nothing except that I found it and report the condtion of the cache. Recently I am getting more sarcastic... ie Wheeeeee! I love looking on a public street for a Nano stuck to a meaningless street sign. Or... Found the cache, could the hiding spot been any more obvious.

If the cache was better than average than I will take the time to write a long note and post a picture. If your caches are getting nothing but short postings maybe its partially your fault. If your cache is not noteworthy don't expect people to actually write something except "got it".

Wheeeeee! I love looking on a public street for a Nano stuck to a meaningless street sign. Or... Found the cache, could the hiding spot been any more obvious.

Well, if I saw that on one of my cache pages.......it wouldn't be there for long.

I seriously don't think that would make someone want to hide a more thoughtful cache.

So wait let me get this straight. You would delete someones legitimate find just because you don't like they way the logged it on the site. NICE!

If you need some "creative ideas" for logging crappy caches, try this page, Random Log Generator.

Edited by Kit Fox

Reading/writing the online logs is my favorite part of caching and I am dissapointed at every TNLNSL or Cut-and-paste that I get from any of my 60+ hides. Only place for that is in the Cache's log where space is at a premium.

Even if they only take the time to write out "Thanks for the cache." That at least shows some initiative and is 10X better than "TFTC"

The log that is left all depends on the cache and the experience one has in finding it...

Quite a statement! Totally unsupportable by fact, but it sounds good! Or does it? I think it sounds like 'this is what I believe so you should too!'.

Logging practices are a personal choice and have zero to do with the cache or the cacher's enjoyment of it.

There's my own unsupportable statement.

TFTP :ph34r:

So wait let me get this straight. You would delete someones legitimate find just because you don't like they way the logged it on the site. NICE!

Looks like a spoiler. Lots of people delete those.

This is a GREAT topic. Being new geocaching (and therefore the logging process), I am not as familiar with the experience or expectations of logging. Luckily, I am actually a writer (not as a profession, but it is just something that comes naturally to me) - so just like in real life, I tend to be verbose. I think it is fun to share with the cache owner and others who may read the logs a little of what my experience was like hunting for their cache. I of course, like to add humor, because I enjoy witty remarks others make too.

However, now that I am a cache owner (as of just this week), I ESPECIALLY appreciate the "lost art of logging". I agree, as a placer of a cache, you go through some heavy homework and effort to get one placed and approved and you wanna hear something more than TNLN or some acronym variation of the sort. In all fairness to cachers though... if a cache is not in an interesting location or it is really easy or obvious, there is probably not much to say. But the ideas provided in this original post are great considerations to pull some sort of comment out and add a little description to the log.

Now, in a related subject, you know what bothered me with my first placed cache? I left some "swag" for the FTF cacher (I believe swag refers to goodies you leave behind that a cacher can take and keep - correct me if I am wrong please)... and the FTF cacher never acknowledged it in their log. I mean it wasn't super valuable but it did have some symbolism and meaning and the least they could have done was say THANKS... too much to ask?!

Oh well, I don't want to end this on a negative note, so I hope lots of people read this thread and realize the value in writing a good log. And by the way, good doesn't have to mean long (kinda like this reply, <_< ).

I usually write a couple of sentences to use as my copy/paste for all the light poles, guard rails, etc. that take me about 2 seconds to find. But for anything that was a little tough, or if someone funny happened, I always write more.

Personally, I really don't see what's so bad about that. How much can you say about a light pole? Seriously?

What I find interesting, though, is the number of people who feel the need to control how others play this game. What's wrong with just letting everyone play it the way that makes them happy? If you don't like what I log, I'd be more than happy to send my list of finds to you and have you write them for me :huh:

I hadn't even thought of it from this prospective. I have been working hard at making my logs as short as possible. I like to talk .. a lot and this is evident in my writing. And I can make an adventure out of finding navel lint. I'll make sure I post longer logs now.

Heck, this weekend was full of stories: I got to ride across my first ferry (that had a sign that read "No Smoking" even though all the workers were smoking), I chased a turkey down the road till it flew off, I saw a huge outdoor picnic table in the shape of a cross beside a church built up off the ground to resist flooding, I had to wait 45 minutes to snag a micro because a couple decided it was romantic to makeout in broad daylight next to a port-a-potty, I learned that a flashlight left in the car is pretty much useless when you are on a cliff in the dark in the woods, one cache was right beside a freezer that had been thrown out a week or two before full of food..... yum, girlfriends don't make adequate gpsr mounts in the car (they don't pay attention to the gps to tell you when to turn), microcaches are of the devil.

Now, in a related subject, you know what bothered me with my first placed cache? I left some "swag" for the FTF cacher (I believe swag refers to goodies you leave behind that a cacher can take and keep - correct me if I am wrong please)... and the FTF cacher never acknowledged it in their log. I mean it wasn't super valuable but it did have some symbolism and meaning and the least they could have done was say THANKS... too much to ask?!

Did they actually take the FTF prize?

I once recieved a fairly emotional mail from a cache owner regarding the same topic - I did not thank them for the FTF prize.

This was rather humorous, since I didn't take the prize, so figured there was no sense in thanking them for the prize. Oh, and I mentioned that I had exchanged nothing in the on-line log.

;)

i have brain damage that has wiped out some of my long term memory and hinders my formation of new memory. in some cases all i have with which to remember whole weeks of my life are my caching logs.

i think logs that consist entirely of c-n-p and acronyms are cheap and i really, really, want people to do better than that. i don't care if you're articulate or even just barely functionally literate; a few real words beats everything else, every time.

for your beautiful but uneventful cache, i might simply thank you for the day and the pretty view or the quiet walk.

if your cache is very lame, i might mention that the time is eleven-forty-five and although the clams aren't feeling too well, they've spoken to the choreographer.

sometimes my log makes sense, or it doesn't. it depends on how i was feeling when i found the cache. sometimes i had a miserable time at the cache, but i'm having a good time saying so. this might be a function of the cache, or it might not.

if your description of the guardrail is more interesting than the cache, so be it!

If a cache is lousy - average I tend to write almost nothing except that I found it and report the condtion of the cache. Recently I am getting more sarcastic... ie Wheeeeee! I love looking on a public street for a Nano stuck to a meaningless street sign. Or... Found the cache, could the hiding spot been any more obvious. ...

I'd rather be considered 'too polite' than be rude.

I usually write a couple of sentences to use as my copy/paste for all the light poles, guard rails, etc. that take me about 2 seconds to find. But for anything that was a little tough, or if someone funny happened, I always write more.

Personally, I really don't see what's so bad about that. How much can you say about a light pole? Seriously?

I typically do the very same thing. I'll write a few sentences that basically explain why I was out and about that day and generally how my caching day was. I'll close by thanking the cache owner for placing the cache.

For some caches, this will be my entire log, but for others I'll include maintenance issues that the owner should be aware of or a comment on something special about the cache or the hunt for it.

What I find interesting, though, is the number of people who feel the need to control how others play this game. What's wrong with just letting everyone play it the way that makes them happy? If you don't like what I log, I'd be more than happy to send my list of finds to you and have you write them for me :)
:laughing:

As long as I've played this game and hung out in the forums, I'm still disturbed by the amount of people who try to make everyone else bend to their wills.

People would like to require that everyone crafts a unique story for each of their logs. While that's fine for those people who enjoy doing such a thing, I don't think that it is reasonable (or prudent) to expect it from everyone. After all, we can all pull out our snarky pants and write a pearl like av8tors32's example.

It also surprises me that many would love for me to type 'Thanks for the cache', but get upset if I type 'TFTC', even thought it is the same thing.

Go figure.

Edited by sbell111

I'm going to (in part) bring some things that I said in another thread to this one, as this is more appropriate.

I'm often awed by some of the logs that I read, and even somewhat intimidated by them.

Most of the writing that I have done in the past is technical writing. Clear, concise, to the point, and business-like. I don't know how to describe a sunrise without it sounding stupid (at least to me - my best attempt described the scene as not seeming real, more like a cheap sci-fi movie set). So often I don't write much, and writing the same "Thanks, nice spot" feels no different to me when I read it than does "TFTC" - even though I did sincerely mean what I wrote. Being in an urban environment and having 500+ caches (not counting micro-spew) in a 5 mile radius of my house, how quickly do you think I would run out of things to say, and start saying the same things over and over again?

Now don't get me wrong about this - I'm not judgmental about what other people write. Some things are wonderful snapshots of the day of the finder. Sometimes they are kinda cute (one recent find I noted was along the lines of "Found this today with my dad. We had a great day and got Slurpees"). I don't look down on those things when others write them - but sometimes when I try to write a log I look back over what I wrote very critically (again, technical writing background).

My 14 year old step-son loves caching with me. He is autistic (Asburgers) and has a very difficult time relating to people and communicating. For him, even getting him on here and logging a "TFTC" would be a major effort on his part. My 6 y.o., on the other hand, could have me transpose pages of ramblings (few would have much to do with the caches themselves). My wife could probably write a 10 page essay on every find.

I understand that reading "TFTC" over and over again can be boring. I know that many times the people who write them probably aren't putting any effort or though into it - they are logging for the numbers. But it's not that way for everyone, and to paint everyone with the same broad brush is probably unfair to a lot of cachers.

Edited by derangedlunatech

wow. Just finished reading through this. This has been one of the most interesting forum threads I have read so far. I didnt realise that it was such a problem.

I havent visited many caches, but the ones I have, I have tried to write up interesting logs. In fact thinking about it, something interesting has happened to me on nearly every cache I have visited. From being stung by nettles to spending ages looking for a cache near a water course, not finding it, slipping over, falling flat on my face in a lot of mud, which I thought was quite hilarious. I just hoped it brought a smile to anyone else who read it. I mean, when I read other peoples logs, Im not interested in who visited, im interested in what happened while they visited.

so yeah, less abbriviations, more storys in my logs for future, I promise!

(BTW; while lying in the mud, I spotted the cache, so all good in the end )

I am very new to this so my opinion may not be fully formed yet. I can see how much owners would enjoy reading a great log entry from their cache and I know I enjoy reading them when I am board and just browsing the site. However, you have to understand that some people enjoy playing the numbers game and finding many caches in one day, for them having to write up a long log for each cache would ruin the fun of caching. I don't think either group should ask the other to change to make them happy.

Do what you enjoy, let others do what they enjoy.

ps. here is a recent log entry from me that I am proud of.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ce-9d0b561d3b30

Man the way some of you all write some of those entries - I wish I could write half as well and creatively as you do. Whenever I try it always seems to end up sounding so stupid when I re-read it

The secret is to not reread it.

or not to care.

As a writer, logging is one of the best parts of caching. Even for the lamest LPC, I attempt to write something decent. No matter what, something pulled me to that cache, so I return the favor, so to speak.

Was it too easy? Kind of lame? Could be, but I'll have fun with it.

Of course, my longer, more-creative posts go on the caches that really challenge me -- or DNFs.

My favorite that I've recently written is: This one.

But as a cache owner...

I don't personally worry how people log it. If it's a longer story, cool. If it's a TFTC, fine, too. Some people just log that way and that's part of the game, which is cool. But I know I really appreciate it when someone puts a longer log with my caches!

When I attended GW6 recently, I had the opportunity to make a run at my "most finds in a day" record (I broke it, I found over 70!). As we did nothing but cache for 3 days straight, by the time I got home, I had a whole lotta loggin' to do! I too am adamant about writing an individual log for each find, but I found myself running into trouble as there were many which just involved a shrub alongside a dirt road, or a micro hidden on a fencepost along a dirt road. Never once in all those logs did I resort to "TFTC"... I wrote out "Thanks for the hide" or "Thanks for the cache" for every single one, along with some comments about the fantastic folks I was with, the fact that we were having a blast visiting GW6 etc. In my opinion, even the simplest, mundane cache deserves more than an acronym. :)

DCC

... I am now what RK deems a parasite. ...

To be a true parasite you have to give zero back. No logs. No email. No notes. No kind words at an event. No helping the elderly to cache on tuesdays at the senior center. In other words be truly Invisible. The cliff notes version you have and which I post on is simplistic. Two of my favorite posters are 'parasites' with the cliff notes version of reality, but I don't consider them parasites at all. Nor do I consider my own parents parisites though they meet the short version of the criteria. They like caching with me, but beyond that this really isn't their thing. It's fair to point out that if everone did give up on logging, what owners get out of caches wouldn't exist and so why would we owners bother?

As for making it so that real parasites (you need a dash of pride, spite, malice or paranoia to be a real parasite) could not find my caches. I would in an instant, but it's never been realistic, and I'd always give the benefit of the doubt. Some of when I'd not make my caches available is based on turnabout being fair play.

Edited by Renegade Knight

How much can you say about a light pole? Seriously?

A local cacher placed about 50 LPC's in one part of town. I have had much more fun with the loggging than the finding.

These three are all for the same cache (the first two are, of course, totally bogus)

1st DNF

2nd DNF

Finally found it!

I really did DNF my first LPC :):D

DNF Log In my defense, it was my very first day of caching :)

Vindication

Also, in defense of the cache - there is a fully wired telephone jack on this lamppost in the middle of a parking lot. Go figure.

For me, logging has always been situational. My logs tend to reflect how much fun I had while I was caching. This usually has little to do with the actual cache and a heck of a lot more to do with the situation and the players that accompanied me on any particular journey. This cache was pretty good, but what made it great was the events and the people that went along with it.

I still contend that most people will write as much as they are comfortable writing. We're not all journalists, novelists, or poets, and sometimes TNLNSL and TFTC are more than enough to convey our feelings.

I definitely concur with the OP.

I will confess that my logs of late have not been up to par with what I did in the early days...but once in a whle I come up with some thing worth writing about, and I always enjoy doing so.

Last weekend, I found 235 caches in 24 hours, and I really am not sure that any of them was worth more than 20 words. But the experience was well worth much more than that....sometimes you just have to find new ways to make it interesting..when the caches are lame, as they usually are anymore, spice it up with a little wit.

Thanks for mentioning this.

It's not possible to control the 'quality' of a recorded log. But it is possible to be sure that the caches hidden are interesting, either good camo, good location or both. I keep telling myself that while I plan the next couple of hides. Keeps me from getting fussy about cut 'n' paste logs.

Excellent discussion and everything has already been said.

As someone who tries to log more than one-liners I recently had two nice experiences...one was for a log for a geocoin that lays in one of the craziest caches ever done. You cannot log the find, but you can discover the coin and gift the find to someone (with a very long and complex set of rules).

Anyway, the owner asks that when you discover the coin that you give a restaurant recommendation. I did and received a few days later a very nice email thanking me for the recommendation, and that his friends very much enjoy sushi and he will take them there next time he is in town. Oh, and that he hopes to see me logging some of his "normal" caches and that I can email him if I run in any trouble there (yeah, will not happen, he does the most mysterious mystery caches out there).

The other was for a first to find I had on a cross. Those stand around in our countryside and are usually placed as thank yous to god for some harsh times...most are very old and nice, and some cachers put caches out there. This guy has a few of those caches and every time he finds quite a bit of history on the cross and places the cache very well. Anyway, I wrote that all in my log and he thanked me and told me he really appreciated this as some people drive there, log the find and then bash him in their logs and/or email.

I am not saying that you have to write a thank you for every nice log, but those two emails will for sure make me write nicer, more creative logs even if it has to wait a day or two until I have time to do so.

I really think you have to be a cache owner to appreciate why you should write interesting logs. Within that, I now recognise that the more interesting my cache is, the better the logs tend to be. Fortunatly I live in a part of the world where there is a good geocaching ethos, not too many caches, not too many cachers so one tends to get more interesting logs. Those who write short logs do seem to be those "for the stats". I detest logs that make no effort to appreciate my caches, but do recognise that some of my caches are less interesting than others.

As I a cache owner I now never write a log which gives no comment on the value of the cache (good or bad).

Excellent discussion and everything has already been said.

As someone who tries to log more than one-liners I recently had two nice experiences...one was for a log for a geocoin that lays in one of the craziest caches ever done. You cannot log the find, but you can discover the coin and gift the find to someone (with a very long and complex set of rules).

You can't log the find? This one seems like one I'd like to read. What's the GC#?