The lost art of logging

9Key

I'm sure if I look back I've already talked about the long logs I have written (yes, including hitting the length limit once) but as a hider I really appreciate when others write something unique in their logs on my caches, especially the ones where I put in some extra effort.

If I have been getting good logs on a cache and then someone comes along and puts in a simple "TFTC" or "Found this one" then it lowers my opinion of the person -- I know how sad and petty that sounds, but it is true. I also feel sorry for the person because if they stick with the hobby for any length of time they aren't going to have good logs to look back on to remember the experiences.

At least tell me something! Was the cache well hidden or exposed? Is the log getting close to full? Did the coordinates seem accurate? Was it enjoyable? Did the cache description tell you too much or too little about the cache? Did you stop and buy ice cream before/after finding it? Did you learn something you didn't know before? Did you see something you hadn't seen? Been somewhere new? Throw me a bone!

I try to write something decent in my logs because my understanding of caching from the beginning was to "tell about your experience". So I do. My logs range in length depending on the experience. I only have one cache placed but my favorite logs are the ones that tell me about the cacher's hunt. I just recently got a very nice log from a guy who humorously told about his hunt. I got the biggest kick out of it. Those kinds of logs make it worthwhile for all the time and work I put into my cache placement.

I'd rather be accused of writing too much than just logging "TFTC." Just today I ran across a log that was nothing more than a date and time. I thought "how rude."

There is a happy medium between a terse acronym and War and Peace.

If I have been getting good logs on a cache and then someone comes along and puts in a simple "TFTC" or "Found this one" then it lowers my opinion of the person -- I know how sad and petty that sounds, but it is true.
And even MORE TRUE when you own a bunch of caches and the same person found a bunch. Then you get like a dozen emails of logs from someone and every one of them is :

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Some Cacher Name Here found One of Your Caches (Traditional Cache) at 2/19/2008

Log Date: 2/19/2008

TFTH

::YAWN::..... :)

As previously posted, I changed my logging habits after reading this thread and I try to write a little something about the weather, the hide, the coordinates, or basically anything to get away from just the TFTC that I initially thought was what was supposed to be done. It helped to reinforce my logging efforts when one of the hiders, BigGuy in Texas, who has many hides in the McAllen, Texas area where we're wintering, sent me an email letting me know that she appreciated my logs. It encouraged me to continue what I was doing. Thanks BGTX!

Just for a good example, here's a log I just received a few minutes ago from a multi I own... this is a great example of a quality log :)

TheHobos found Animal, Mineral, Vegetable (Multi-cache) at 2/20/2008

Log Date: 2/20/2008

Had nine caches in the preserve that have been calling us for a long time and today we had the time and the energy to go for them. Although our feet just about gave out before we made it to the end. Ouch. The cache did keep us focused and made us make it to the end. Always helps to have motivation when you are in pain. [:unsure:] The first stage we almost thought was missing as we found a film canister with velcro on it and teeth marks on the side. Then we realized our mistake and found the little monster and got the coords. Second stage wasn't too hard but we made it harder than it should have been. How nice to be able to read the coords so well. As we neared the final we came upon some cow patties and wondered where the cow was. Had seen some earlier and also some horse tracks. Someone has been horseback riding in there and maybe it was the headless horseman. Yikes. OBH can make his caches appear from no where sometimes. [:lol:)] Anyway we were within 50 feet of the cache when we heard loud snorts and heavy yelling. Well, it sounded like yelling. We realized there was a big Hog convention going on right at the cache sight but about 30 feet from it. The convention sounded just like what you might hear at the Democrat and Republican get together that is in the near future. Lots of Boar pushing and shoving and loud snorts and screams. They were making so much noise they didn't hear us and we saw them for about 3 minutes. They were all dressed in black and not happy with each other, but soon we let out a small noise and they looked up and eyed us rather good and then high tailed it into the brush. Must have been about12 of them and glad they didn't want to run in our direction. Found the final and it was beautiful and the entire multi was great. Thanks for a most enjoyable cache in one of our favorite places that holds many happy memories for us. Now to go home and soak our feet.

My shortest log is 11 words. My longest is over 700, and that's not single letters either. I find it's very easy to type at least 100 words. I've started to protest the TNLNSL, but actually typing it out every time I log a cache. That's 10 words, so I've never done just that.

I can think of a story to go with almost any kind of cache, especially if I'm on a caching run like I did this weekend. Yeah, it took me awhile to log the 51 caches, but I do it anyway.

Last week, I had three people at an event come up to me and thank me for the nice log I wrote on their cache. I don't do it for the thanks, but because I feel that cache hiders want to hear about their cache and how others perceived it.

Sometimes caches will cause a song to pop into my head. I look for the lyrics and will post them as well. I even posted the llama song on one cache, not because it was lame, but because there were three llamas within three feet of the cache hide. It worked.

I've started to protest the TNLNSL, but actually typing it out every time I log a cache.
I am sure the owners appreciate that. I don't just type "Xmas", and if I type TFTH or TNLNSL it's at the end of the last paragraph of the text I typed.

The cacher who entered the nice log I listed above immediately got a thank you note as this was one of a handful of long logs they entered for my caches yesterday. It made my day so I showed my appreciation. Random acts of kindness and courtiousness go a long way... even in GC.

I went to the ItsNotAboutTheNumbers website and looked at a sampling of some of the names I frequently see in these caches. I noted the number of caches they've loged and the average log length. Although this isn't truely scientific or statistically sound, it does give us a picture of what is going on.

Caches Log length Total words

Cacher 1 1017 91.8 93360.6

Cacher 2 2691 31.5 84766.5

Cacher 3 676 47.4 32042.4

Cacher 4 1164 40.9 47607.6

Cacher 5 2953 134.5 397178.5

Cacher 6 618 145.9 90166.2

Cacher 7 2228 40 89120

Cacher 8 1141 44.7 51002.7

Cacher 9 553 147.1 81346.3

Cacher 10 866 70.6 61139.6

Totals 13907 1027730.4

Average length 73.9

Of course these numbers come from cachers who participate in the 'Forums' heavily, so I would expect them to have longer than average logs. My own numbers 1972 cache logs with an average of 51.4 words which puts me as the median for the above group of cachers.

I had fun posting this one called liar liar.

February 16 by Hick@Heart (91 found)

I'm the president of a local biker gang from far away. Me and my posse were in the area studying geocaches for the Smithsonian Institute. We actually pulled a couple of our bikes into the cache itself to make it look like it was just a biker bar and not a geocache. Curley, whose real name is Former President George H. W. Bush, brought his pet tyrannosaurus Rex. (They actually used it in the movie Jurassic Park)Curley walked his Dinosaur back and forth across the street to distract the parade goers so I could sign the log. We had just come from the bowling alley down the street. Since we are outlaw bikers working for the Smithsonian, I stole the shoes to trade for swag. Took: Space Shuttle Atlantis. Left: Size 18 bowling shoes.

I am really new to geocaching. I have logged a total of 2 finds. I will admit my online logs were not detailed, but I was playing "follow the leader" because I really didn't know better. My personal logs in a word document were more detailed and I even have pictures. I promise to be more detailed in all future logs I write.

Kini

Still pretty much a newbie, just made my 50th find today, and I confess most of my logs have been a little short. Most of the logs I had read from even very experienced cachers were, so I thought that was the norm. I have included some more personal comments, like when the geodog took an unexpected swim, but even that wasn't more than a few words.

I did feel like "why would anyone else really care what I have to say" but now after reading this thread, I can see it from the CO point of view. If they've gone to all the work to come up with an imaginative hide, I should certainly be able to say more than "thanks for a fun hide, tnln" I will try to write more, and to that little voice inside me that say "why would anyone care..." well, that's what Delete and scrolling are for :o

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

Yes, I know, an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log and that's not what I'm talking about (I don't hide those anyway). What I'm ranting about today is the poor quality of online logs on quality caches.

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list. Many newbies seem to start off logging with the dreaded acronyms and never get away from it unfortunately.

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative". I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache. Its really not hard and only takes a few seconds longer than the "TNLNSL - TFTC" carp.

Here's a short list of things you can comment on if you can't think of anything to write in an online log:

* what was the weather like?

* see any animals, pretty flowers, nudists, etc?

* condition of the cache?

* logbook full?

* condition of swag?

* easy to find? tough?

* coordinate accuracy - good or bad?

* accuracy of terrain and difficulty ratings

* travel bug inventory

* history of the area

* memories of previous caches in the area

* comment on the state of the cache's camo, or lack there of

* did you like the cache?

* any park weirdos?

* talk to any muggles or LEO's?

I could go on and on!

Don't get me started on put-and-paste logs... :o

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

Yes, I know, an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log and that's not what I'm talking about (I don't hide those anyway). What I'm ranting about today is the poor quality of online logs on quality caches.

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list. Many newbies seem to start off logging with the dreaded acronyms and never get away from it unfortunately.

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative". I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache. Its really not hard and only takes a few seconds longer than the "TNLNSL - TFTC" carp.

Here's a short list of things you can comment on if you can't think of anything to write in an online log:

* what was the weather like?

* see any animals, pretty flowers, nudists, etc?

* condition of the cache?

* logbook full?

* condition of swag?

* easy to find? tough?

* coordinate accuracy - good or bad?

* accuracy of terrain and difficulty ratings

* travel bug inventory

* history of the area

* memories of previous caches in the area

* comment on the state of the cache's camo, or lack there of

* did you like the cache?

* any park weirdos?

* talk to any muggles or LEO's?

I could go on and on!

Don't get me started on put-and-paste logs... :o

I cache for the "Thrill of the hunt". Logging is irrevalent.

A statement like this is a sure sign of someone who hasn't hidden any caches. Giving something back to the cacher who places the hides for which you are able to have the "thrill of the hunt" is more than just a courtesy. It adds to the game for everyone involved.

I love making finds but I must admit that I get even more pleasure from reading a log from someone who searched for one of my hides, whether they found it or not. TFTH means they are lazy or they didn't like it. When I get a log like this I check the cacher's other logs to see if a non-log is their standard or if they usually write a decent log. If they usually write a decent log and only posted a TFTH on my cache I will email them and ask about there impression of the cache and what they feel could be done to improve it.

I was going to ask how you give back to those who provide the caches you hunt when I decided to look at a few of your logs. While a bit minimalistic I think they are fine. Each appears unique to the cache in question. That is all I ever ask. I'll admit, I enjoy a creative log, but I don't expect those who hunt my caches to be award winning authors.

As for my own logging habits I try to put some effort into my logs. It can be difficult when the cache is less than stellar. It is hard not to put a cookie cutter log on the page of a cookie cutter cache.

A statement like this is a sure sign of someone who hasn't hidden any caches. Giving something back to the cacher who places the hides for which you are able to have the "thrill of the hunt" is more than just a courtesy. It adds to the game for everyone involved.

I love making finds but I must admit that I get even more pleasure from reading a log from someone who searched for one of my hides, whether they found it or not. TFTH means they are lazy or they didn't like it. When I get a log like this I check the cacher's other logs to see if a non-log is their standard or if they usually write a decent log. If they usually write a decent log and only posted a TFTH on my cache I will email them and ask about there impression of the cache and what they feel could be done to improve it.

Leave out the hasn't hidden any. The worst caches I have found have been by people who feel a need to hide to give back. I like to hide. It sounds like you like to hide. There are plenty of us who do. If there was a shortage of new hides I'd be all for encouraging every cacher to do it. I can think of a couple of cachers that I would like to encourage to never hide another.

Leave out the hasn't hidden any. The worst caches I have found have been by people who feel a need to hide to give back. I like to hide. It sounds like you like to hide. There are plenty of us who do. If there was a shortage of new hides I'd be all for encouraging every cacher to do it. I can think of a couple of cachers that I would like to encourage to never hide another.

I enjoy managing to find a spot to place a cache but with only 11 hides I can't claim that is my primary reason for caching. Of course I live in a pretty cache dense area so finding a decent location for a new cache can be quite the challenge.

I was in no way trying to encourage Trek or Treat to go hide a bunch of caches. My point was that I understand the value that a decent log has for the cache owner. Much more so once I had a few hides of my own. Someone with no hides can't really understand how lame it is to get a TFTH log.

I, like most cachers I think, start out in this hobby not really knowing what is expected. Heck, I didn't even know what happened to the logs. Where do they go ? Does anyone even see that I wrote "quick grab"? It all changes after that first hide. When you (the hider) start getting the logs from the finders. You realize what that means. We have a very active caching couple in SC (PiscesNAries) that have a series honoring local cachers in the state. By the time I was so honored, my strategy had changed. For those who care, here is my log from that cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b8-3e4438d665b0

I enjoy managing to find a spot to place a cache but with only 11 hides I can't claim that is my primary reason for caching. Of course I live in a pretty cache dense area so finding a decent location for a new cache can be quite the challenge.

I was in no way trying to encourage Trek or Treat to go hide a bunch of caches. My point was that I understand the value that a decent log has for the cache owner. Much more so once I had a few hides of my own. Someone with no hides can't really understand how lame it is to get a TFTH log.

Gotcha.

We is on da same page.

This thread has too changed how I log my finds. As a owner, and a seeker of caches I enjoy reading cache logs for info on the hides. Yesterday we went after a multi that had not been well maintained. My PDA died and I had no info, had able to get my phone to GC website and read recent logs and get enough info and hints to find the final and claim the find. It took some work not a give me but not a wasted trip. as with every entry, so long and thanks for the cache

Some friends and I have just started geocaching...so we are new to this. I had never thought about how to sign log. We try to keep cache log short...KISS. We have done alot of micro/small caches lately that have been TNLNSL...and that is what we posted. We do try to put a lil bit of info in...great hunt, etc. Your post now has me thinking about the online logs...guess I will be doing a better job of posting. We go as a group (children and adults) and sometimes it is hard to remember all that happens in the hunt. I will try to do a better job of posting logs from this point forward. I totally understand what you are saying and will remember it.

If you're struggling with the creativity juices when it comes time to write your logs, ask the kids what to write. I promise the logs will be creative(if they're old enough speak), especially if you ask while you're still at the cache

here my take on this...if there was something intresting about a cache that makes me remember it after a day of searching for 10-20 caches I will definately leave my adventure but if nothing to make it stick out I do copy and paste.

If one isn't getting anything memorable out of a hunt, and one is doing nothing more than signing a scrap of paper at the site, how do you even get any enjoyment from the game at all. I don't mind a C+P log so much if it is an overview of the days experience as a whole.

Like many others have posted I also didn't realize people enjoyed reading the logs. I didn't even know that the hiders received e-mails each time someone posts a log for their cache. Maybe because I'm new to geocaching I like to chat about it, but for some reason I thought people would thing I was cuckoo for writing more descriptive logs. After finding this thread I realized that I can toss that idea out with the trash.

I've been hunting for the last 2 months searching for about 5 caches every weekend. I also had no idea that hiders received the logs. I usually am not too descriptive but plan on being more "verbose" in the future.

I havn't had much time to visit the forums since I've started (full time job and full time school) but maybe an updated section in the "Getting Started" that talks about keeping logs and the importance may help <_<

This is my log from the other day. I posted it on all the caches I visited that day because the bits and pieces needed to be seen as an over all picture of the day's caching.

26 Feb 08

My Day of Caching

1. Visited my cache Down by the Riverside (East) because there had been a number of DNFs on it. Bigger than Dallas, there it was exactly where I had left it. (Shaking head)

2. Visited my cache Car Lot. Checked to see if there was a possibility of replacing the replacement cache, which I had put out after the owners had removed every bit of ground cover and thrown away the cache - placed with their permission. Have in mind a new cache once again filled with cars and trucks to trade for the same spot.

3. The Old Road at SASP-North Shore: First stop for finding caches. What a joy! First we stumbled over the dead cow, then the half dozen dead raccoons, and finally the motorcycle tire cemetery. Found cache lying in the open and returned it to where the GPSr zeroed out.

4. Carlsbad Loop Park: Next stop with more joy. Passed a dead goat and the remains of a deer on the way to this one. And, got a finger full of cactus thorns retrieving the cache. But that’s par for me. If there are cactus, chiggers, or mesquite thorns within a 50-foot radius of a cache, I will acquire them.

5. North End: Once again dead goat came into view on the way to this one. No problem finding it. Biggest problem today has been the malodorous approaches.

6. Kirby Park Dam: More dead deer strewing the highway. Searched high and low and the only thing we found was a lady walking her dog who we enlightened as to the joys of geocaching- minus ANY references to dead fauna. She seemed interested and may become our newest local geocacher.

7. Soccer Kick: Alas this part of the journey we only found smaller game- dead. A bird that didn’t survive some unknown mishap and a road kill squirrel. Took a little muscle power to dislodge this one.

8. On Guard 2: Once again we encountered another deer specimen deteriorating in the sun. And had to fight our way through sticker-y things. Cache found and logged.

9. Deere John: Not sure exactly what the remains were, but they definitely were remains. Cache seems to have disappeared – replaced by cleared land.

10. Small Forest: Deer had met its maker nearby, but the cache was there. The cover has disappeared until spring. However, the log was mush so was unable to sign it.

11. Road to Nowhere: Trip to this one involved passing by a dead goat, dead chicken, and “dead” sofa. And, once again, I got up close and personal with cactus and mesquite thorns. Left area with blood running down my leg.

12. On a positive note, I encountered no SNAKES- dead or alive. So I count this as a good day.

I make a point to write more than a simple log with SL, TFTC (though I add that at the end). I comment on what I saw, how cold certain parts of my body were, or what garbage I CITO'd at that cache. I've never had the pleasure of placing a cache yet, so I haven't experienced 'dry' logging, but I'm sure I will soon.

I have started to equate my creation of a log to the hider's creation of a cache. If it is a creative hide it deserves a creative log. I have a 5 star cache I found last week and still haven't logged it because I can't decide on what to say just yet. Yet a lampposts get the TFTC, creativity is contagious.

I was going to ask how you give back to those who provide the caches you hunt when I decided to look at a few of your logs. While a bit minimalistic I think they are fine. Each appears unique to the cache in question. That is all I ever ask. I'll admit, I enjoy a creative log, but I don't expect those who hunt my caches to be award winning authors.

As for my own logging habits I try to put some effort into my logs. It can be difficult when the cache is less than stellar. It is hard not to put a cookie cutter log on the page of a cookie cutter cache.

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.

Mine too! It's the same thing as saying thanks when you receive a gift from someone. I view special caches as a gift. :)
I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache

I try to write good logs, but sometimes I slip.

FOR NOW ON I WILL ONLY WRITE QUALITY LOGS ON EVERY CACHE

I am going to start with a checklist so I make sure I cover the important info like you mentioned, then I will add a little flair to the cache. I want the person hiding the cache to know that I appreciate every one I find, and even the ones I don't.

Thanks for the little kick in the behind.

I try to think of something individual for each cache. Even if it was a basicly in and out sign the log and gone type think I'll try to go over every bit of my time there in my mind and think of something. Sometimes there just seems to be nothing that stands out in my mind but I'll try to add in something like "I went right to it, quick and easy! Thanks" (sometimes quick and easy is great sometimes not, depends on the person and what they have going on that day) or "was very chilly today and me without a coat, signed the log then rushed back to the car" etc. May take some thinking but even the most simplistic of caches there has to be something you remember of it and could mention. If you can't remember anything about the caches you visited that day then why are you caching?

I like to get that little extra info in logs. I read every one & often send some kind of reply to the cacher in response.

I enjoy the stories of the hunt, I put on my caches to 'take pics to post' as almost all of my caches are in GREAT photo op places & could have an assortment of pics, not just the same pic just retaken, however very few have done that ;)

Its also nice to know how the cache is doing. All though I check all of my 30+ caches regularly (at last 1x a month). I replenish with swag & make sure all is well.

I have even gotten 'ditto' logs from some cachers that cached together which tells me they did a stock log & just did the C&P. That sucks. How lazy can you get? MW

The pictures at the top of this page.
Jinx! :lol:

Ahrrgg! So what now? I owe you a beer or something? Well, better I owe you than cheat you out of it.

Yes you do! ;) Then I'll show you the lost art of lagering! :D

NOW! we're talking! Pop the tops on a little liquid muse? Perhaps a grammar chaser? Pour a shot or two prose?

The pictures at the top of this page.
Jinx! :P

Ahrrgg! So what now? I owe you a beer or something? Well, better I owe you than cheat you out of it.
Yes you do! :P Then I'll show you the lost art of lagering! :D

NOW! we're talking! Pop the tops on a little liquid muse? Perhaps a grammar chaser? Pour a shot or two prose?
Sure and anyone that hides a great cache gets a nice big lager! :mad: