The lost art of logging

9Key

Ill just write you a 5 paragraph essay on the condition of your cache. If your worried about the condition of your cache GO LOOK. If someone answered all these questions in a log to me I would worri3e about their mental status.

~.~Scare Force One

Those are suggested topics. No one expects you to answer those like they are questions for each cache. ;)

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

Yes, I know, an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log and that's not what I'm talking about (I don't hide those anyway). What I'm ranting about today is the poor quality of online logs on quality caches.

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list. Many newbies seem to start off logging with the dreaded acronyms and never get away from it unfortunately.

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative". I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache. Its really not hard and only takes a few seconds longer than the "TNLNSL - TFTC" carp.

Here's a short list of things you can comment on if you can't think of anything to write in an online log:

* what was the weather like?

* see any animals, pretty flowers, nudists, etc?

* condition of the cache?

* logbook full?

* condition of swag?

* easy to find? tough?

* coordinate accuracy - good or bad?

* accuracy of terrain and difficulty ratings

* travel bug inventory

* history of the area

* memories of previous caches in the area

* comment on the state of the cache's camo, or lack there of

* did you like the cache?

* any park weirdos?

* talk to any muggles or LEO's?

I could go on and on!

Don't get me started on put-and-paste logs... ;)

As I've been reminded before, don't dictate to others how the "game" should be played. If I elect to post short logs and use "cut and pastes" that's my choice. Are you allowed to complain???? You sure can!!!! Do I have to listen and/or care???? I don't think so!!!!!

Sounds like we got an "ego thang" goin' here!!!!!

I think if you read the original post and any of the replies you would have noticed that this thread has helped many newbies. If you don't want to "listen and/or care" then why post here? Are you adding anything worthwile to what has been a very positive, long running topic? ;)

Edit - spelling

Edited by 9Key

If we had a particular adventure or or experience enroute to the cache, I'll write about it online in my log. If TBs are missing, the container needs replacing, or something needs to be looked into, I'll also post that. Using dial up keeps me posting the logs way too long as it is, so I pretty much keep it short unless one of the above instances pertains to a cache.

here my take on this...if there was something intresting about a cache that makes me remember it after a day of searching for 10-20 caches I will definately leave my adventure but if nothing to make it stick out I do copy and paste.

You must have a better memory than I do. I carry around a small notepad to jot down the interesting things about each cache, else I'd forget after the first five!

I usually copy and paste an opener, then write a second paragraph specific to that cache only. Best of both worlds?

With appologize to Sir Mix a Lot

I like good logs and I can not lie

You other cachers can’t deny

That a cache page loads with logs that are cut n paste

You think “O what a total waste”

Did they not have fun?

Was the hide that lame?

Or are they just playing another game?

Yep, I like good logs and I can not lie

You other cacher can’t deny

I like them full of details

I’ll even accept a spoiler

What did they see along the trails?

A picture with the cache spread across the grass

A good joke that makes me laugh

I like good logs

At least try to write....

"The highway shoulder was very clean. It was a magnificent guardrail and the magnet was very strong. Thanks for the hide!"

"This Wal-Mart parking lot is the nicest I've seen. The lamp post selected was a fine and freshly painted specimen, with no spider webs under it's skirt. Thanks for the hide!"

:(

DCC

I've done that before :P

I just love these "scenic geocaching spots" in the city. The trashed filled ditch was in "full bloom", but the "waterfall" was dry. My olfactory senses were stimulated by the alluring scent I encountered at this cache spot.

Thanks for the cache (I think )

Edited by Kit Fox

Lame or abbreviated logs are only appropriate for caches that are so crappy that you can't think of anything nice to say.

I agree with Kit Fox. I use to write what I considered decent logs on all caches. But lately there's been a proliferation of micro caches in front of walmart. Therefore, I have decided that the less creative the cache, the less creative my log will be. For the walmart caches, I usually log "found it" or "didn't find it".

"The highway shoulder was very clean. It was a magnificent guardrail and the magnet was very strong. Thanks for the hide!"

"This Wal-Mart parking lot is the nicest I've seen. The lamp post selected was a fine and freshly painted specimen, with no spider webs under it's skirt. Thanks for the hide!"

:(

DCC

I've done that before :P

I just love these "scenic geocaching spots" in the city. The trashed filled ditch was in "full bloom", but the "waterfall" was dry. My olfactory senses were stimulated by the alluring scent I encountered at this cache spot.

Thanks for the cache (I think )

A truly masterful log...

I think I've been to that cache (at least one that fits the description)!

DCC

It has probably already been said but I'm just as lazy with reading ALL of the posts as I am with posting ALL of my logs. If I've been out all day there is a lot of logging to do and I don't often want to do it. I also do not recall the specifics of all the caches. Cut and paste and move on. Do you have any idea how many butter containers there are just tossed out in the woods? HOW in the world some people choose their cache locations is a mystery to me. Perfectly good scenic spot a few hundred feet away, but NNNOOOOO..... have to put it under the pile of soggy logs in the middle of a peat bog. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone took the time to put SOMETHING out there. I just don't feel obliged or inspired to devote my entire evening to expounding on the virtues of THAT kind of cache.

I agree with this completely. Mrs. L has been keeping a notebook when we go caching on day trips or vacations. It's a lot like a photo album. She'll make notes about anything unusual, humorous, etc. and we write our online logs from this notebook. We keep the notebook in the Jeep and when a non-cacher gets in and thumbs through it they take an interest in caching. Sometimes we'll flip through it ourselves and talk about certain caches and experiences. If we wrote TNLNSL then we obviously missed the entire point of geocaching.

Geocaching is many things to many people.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a majority of cachers who enjoy spending the bulk of their time in the geocaching hobby behind the computer. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd rather be "out there". If you want to fondly recall your year by reading your logs, all the more power to you. I personally take photos of my day and interesting things along the way. Could care less about the cache itself. Glad someone was kind enough to share their little spot with me (For example GCFFD3). A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe those who enjoy just getting out for a nice walk and maybe taking some photos along the way should begin a campaign against those who have no profile or have no photo entries.

Journaling and logging is great......for you. It is NOT the "entire point of geocaching".

here my take on this...if there was something intresting about a cache that makes me remember it after a day of searching for 10-20 caches I will definately leave my adventure but if nothing to make it stick out I do copy and paste.

If my caching style ever gets to the point that I can't remember anything about caches the day after I find them, I'll quit caching. I do keep a notebook with waypoints and times, but that's so I can keep them in the proper order. If an area of caches turns out to be a Suburban Parking Lots Tour, I find maybe one cache and move on to a more worthwhile area.

It has probably already been said but I'm just as lazy with reading ALL of the posts as I am with posting ALL of my logs. If I've been out all day there is a lot of logging to do and I don't often want to do it. I also do not recall the specifics of all the caches. Cut and paste and move on. Do you have any idea how many butter containers there are just tossed out in the woods? HOW in the world some people choose their cache locations is a mystery to me. Perfectly good scenic spot a few hundred feet away, but NNNOOOOO..... have to put it under the pile of soggy logs in the middle of a peat bog. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone took the time to put SOMETHING out there. I just don't feel obliged or inspired to devote my entire evening to expounding on the virtues of THAT kind of cache.

I understand not feeling obliged or inspired when you sit down to log an uninspired hide, but do you ever think of the next person that comes along? By writing no useful information are you just perpetuating the less than desirable experience of finding said cache?

I say let "helping your fellow cacher" be your motivation in writing a log if it is "another butter container tossed in the woods." In the absence of a rating or fool proof way of finding a quality cache that others enjoyed, a lot of folks rely on previous logs very heavily to build a list of caches to seek. Try to throw them a bone if nothing else.

I truefully have not taken this into consideration until reading (or at least skimming over it more than most topics!)

I make it a point to report the condition in the on-line log and directly to the owner, and will mention if there is something unique in the find. In lue of a wordy log, I try to post more pictures of the suroundings and unique aspects of a fun or interesting cache. It amazes me at some of the caches I have found in cool locations that have no pictures uploaded to them.

I am totally paper-free in the field (IQue 3200) so I do depend on 'past logs' when I am out looking to a cache to hunt. If I see a TNLN or a simple thanks for a past log, I know the cache is still there to be found, which is enough to keep me going.

At a minimum, if the cache is in good shape, and the location, descriptions, and hints are all correct with my find, I want to at least offer a thankyou to the owner, and in that let anyone following me to know they aren't looking for a 'lost' cache.

I have never looked at my logging of a cache as a way to 'sell' the cache to more hunters, unless the description doesn't do a quality job of that already. We have found some wonderful surprises at caches that. on paper, looked like a quick get and go, and that is part of the fun of all this.....

Been trying to type this AND work.... not getting either one done well.... so here are my points!!!

A: always say something! (even a 'lazy post' lets others know the cache is there)

B: if the cache needs anything, say something! If I see a place I am headed needs a new log, I keep a few little notebooks in the Jeep.. same with pencils and such. (drop the owner a note too!)

C: post more pictures!

have a fine day!

J

I am definitely one of the wordier cachers in my area, even my DNFs are descriptive. I figure if I recount my adventure it may help someone...even if it means my DNF tells you what it is NOT. On the flip side...there have been days where I hit one too many micros 2 miles into the woods or in a parking lot and I get stingy with the words.

I am a hider and a finder and I love to read the logs on my caches and see what I did wrong or what I did right, it helps me in planning my next hide.

Well, I have done that where you cut and paste.... it all depends on what kind of cache it is. Most of what I have "cut and paste" was light pole caches... really- there is not a whole lots to tell other than a rare extra where I would say... "boy, the place was busy today". However with multis and puzzles, I tends to stick with longer logs partly because I usually spend a long time on the cache.

Either way, I'm starting to get into a habit of adding stuff in my logs... what the weather was like or what I saw on the trail or what was in the cache... ETC.

I really loved it to see a good log in my cache and right from the beginning always hated to see only TFTC- there is a number of cachers in my area that always do that.

9Key speaks very well for so many of us who have hidden a few interesting caches and who also take great pride in maintaining those caches we place! All of his points should be well heeded. He is absolutely right in his statements.

Why is it that so many have become so lazy? And no, I don't buy the augument that, "I don't have time" or "I found so many that I can't remember one from another" or "I'm on a 'numbers' run and I just can't be bothered" or " I'm just not a creative writer." Boulderdash, to all of that! Another lame excuse used by many is that they found so many in a day that they can't remember which is which. Well, that's no excuse, either. If a cacher found so many on a given day that he can't remember each one, then how can he remember to log them all? If you are still printing out the cache pages on your printer, then you have that piece of paper to write a note about that particular cache. If you are "paperless" then you have your PDA to jot down something about the cache to jog your mind when you go to the website to post your find!

What many cachers don't seem to realize, is that cache hiders take definite cues from the logs posted to their caches. Once a cache has been placed, how else is the owner to know how that cache is received? Is it being enjoyed? Do you like the type, style, or location of the cache? Is it too easy or too hard? Are the ratings appropriate? Is the log getting full? Does it need its "goodies" replenished? These and more, are all questions whcih provide the cache owner with information needed to determine if she should keep this cache active or even if she should place others like it. The TFTCTNSL, blah, blah blah nonsense imparts no useful informaton and are, in fact, rather insulting to the cache owner who has often put considerable time, effort, and in many cases, expense into placing these caches out for other's enjoyment.

I don't think any cache owner is expecting a finder to write a 500 word essay on each cache they find, but just to be courteous enough to give the owner an honest opinion of his or her caching experience. No, you don't have to be a Shakespere, or a Milton, or a Mark Twain to write a brief accounting of your experience. Just consider what kind of posts YOU would like to read by finders of YOUR caches.

I totall agree with this post. Well said! Most cachers don't care if your spelling and grammar are poor, we just want some feedback about the cache.

Double ditto, We would not continue to place caches unless the logs from our first ones were so encouraging. I sometimes feel if a log is too much bother to write, then please save the time you spent looking for our cache on writing a log on someone else's cache.

After reading the posts on this forum topic I will do my best to write better logs. In the past I had always thought to myself, "Who cares what I have to say?" So, if other cachers don't care what I have to say they can skip reading my logs. -_- Thank you for bringing this topic up, apparently there is a lot of thought out there in regard to the topic of log writing. My pet peeve is reading logs with horrible grammar and misspelled words. Even worse than that -- cache pages with poor grammar and misspelled words. :lol: I know it sounds picky but come on! :anicute:

Ive always thought that I should be writing more in the log than I have but have mostly been lost on what to say.

Face it, most of us like to talk about ourselves, and that is truly the best fodder for a good log. And to be totally honest, if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at? What silly thing did you do while hunting the cache? Ever lost part of the cache? That made for my longest log. Maybe just tripped on that root---- tell how it "attacked" you. Talk about the cool container, and how it made you jump when you parted the leaves and saw it looking at you. Did you get there in time for some great pictures? Tell the circumstances, and don't forget to share those too.

SL = signed log? I've always wondered why people say that in their online logs. You have to sign the log to claim a find, so that information is redundant isn't it? :anicute:

To the purist, it isn't a find unless you leave ink, blood, or both. If I found it----I signed. Virtuals excepted.

What's missing here, and what's sad about it all, is that the online log you leave isn't necessarily for the cache owner. It's for you. Do you really want to go back over a year of caching that you've done and see just "tftc" - ? No - those online logs tell the story of your experiences with those caches, and the audience that is most likely to appreciate them most is you, a few years from now.

Beyond that, good logs build community. It's how people caching in the same area get to know each other, for better or for worse. (literally - cache logs are how I first met my wife.)

HEAR HEAR!!! Well stated!

By the way, that wife thing. For better or worse? You do live dangerously, don't you! -_-

As noted earlier, I do not write long on-line logs. I average 42 words (probably because my longest log is 434 words). If I like the location, I will say so. If I think the hide is great, I will tell you so. If I don't care for the location, or the hide I might not say very much. I even wrote a glowing log for a DNF last weekend!

Up to yesterday, I'd only had two logs deleted. One for an SBA for a cache that had been missing for over a year, and one for saying that the coords were over 170' off. Oh, well.

It came as quite a surprise, yesterday, to have a log deleted for saying "Found it. Strange hide." And a note from the hider saying "You never have anything nice to say about my caches." Looked for six caches, found three. DNFed one for the lady painting outside the nearby building, one for the surveillance cameras and No Trespassing sign, the third for the litter in tha area. All six searches were for caches by a pair of related hiders. I did comment on the number of muggles near some of the hiding places.

The one in question was a camoed zip lock behind a sign nailed to wall next to the entrance to a store. In my book, that's a strange hide, though not necessarily meant as a perjorative comment.

It was suggested that I should stop visiting that area. I look for caches in that area because I am there already. It is not an area that I would drive to often to go caching.

That's okay. I know how to eliminate cache hiders from my GPX uploads.

I guess some cache owners expect rave reviews on all their caches. Oh, well.

Since I'm new to all of this, let me run this in the other direction...

Is there such a thing as too long of a log post? I completed a multi-part puzzle cache this morning that I started last night, and had a lot of great things to say. As an example, during the night I searched for about 30 minutes looking for the final cache. I saw a horizontal hole near where I expected to find it, and so I brushed aside some leaves and shined my flashlight inside. I saw a small pair of eyes looking back at me and reflecting the light. Moving the light away slightly I saw that it was a tiny mouse sitting up and looking at me. I went through my pack to get out my camera but the little guy dissapeared further into the hole before I could get the shot.

Anyway, the log I posted was already three paragraphs, and I started to feel like I was going too far. I felt like it might be bad form to add a log that took half a display page. Is there such a thing?

Is there such a thing as too long of a log post? I completed a multi-part puzzle cache this morning that I started last night, and had a lot of great things to say. As an example, during the night I searched for about 30 minutes looking for the final cache. I saw a horizontal hole near where I expected to find it, and so I brushed aside some leaves and shined my flashlight inside. I saw a small pair of eyes looking back at me and reflecting the light. Moving the light away slightly I saw that it was a tiny mouse sitting up and looking at me. I went through my pack to get out my camera but the little guy dissapeared further into the hole before I could get the shot.

Anyway, the log I posted was already three paragraphs, and I started to feel like I was going too far. I felt like it might be bad form to add a log that took half a display page. Is there such a thing?

As a cache owner, I've never had one that was too long and I doubt that would be possible. I think the only complaint I could anticipate with a really long log is the folks that download the logs onto cachemate and you put something that pertains to finding the cache itself last. I say express youself!

I did a series of skirtlifters yesterday. I could have posted a simple TFTC, but I decided to have a little more fun than that:

Skirtlifter #1:

Dang!! Evil, evil, EVIL!!

Skirtlifter #2:

Tough one. Had me wandering around all over the parking lot before I finally closed in on this sneaky little cache.

Skirtlifter #3:

Another tough one. I wandered around all over the parking lot. I was just about to claim a DNF when the lightbulb came on. Where on earth do you get these sneaky ideas?!?

Skirtlifter #4:

Wow!! And to think that I thought 'UM 15: Aurora' was evil!! This one was on the LEFT side!! I almost gave up when I didn't find it on the right side. Too sneaky, Doc!.

Skirtlifter #5:

OMG! I feel like such a DOLT! I looked all around for a good 15 minutes before I finally realized that it was hidden JUST LIKE UM 15: Aurora!!! Now, who in their right mind would have made an assumption like that. Nice hide!! (but sneaky!)

Skirtlifter #6:

I was approaching in my car, when I noticed a SUV pull over next to a lamp post, so I parked behind, walked up, and asked the driver if he wanted to retrieve it, or if I should. We debated for a while if we really had the right lamp post or not, but finally decided to live on the edge and take a look. YEAHHH, BAYBEEE!! That turned out to be a smart decision

Skirtlifter #7:

I can't believe you have this one rated as only a 1.5 star difficulty. Come on... its an easy 4, maybe 4.5. After finding seven others near similar locations today, I figured there was NO WAY!!! this one could be hidden the same as the others, so naturally, I didn't even try. Oh no. Not me. I had to comb the pavement looking for fake pebbles. In spite of the 1.5 terrain rating, I climbed the danged pole. I looked underneath my vehicle. I checked the bottom of my shoes. FINALLY, at wits end, I gave in and looked where I had found the others and... SLAP MY FOREHEAD... there it was.

I did a series of skirtlifters yesterday. I could have posted a simple TFTC, but I decided to have a little more fun than that:

Skirtlifter #1:

Skirtlifter #2:

Tough one. Had me wandering around all over the parking lot before I finally closed in on this sneaky little cache.

Skirtlifter #3:

Another tough one. I wandered around all over the parking lot. I was just about to claim a DNF when the lightbulb came on. Where on earth do you get these sneaky ideas?!?

Skirtlifter #4:

Wow!! And to think that I thought 'UM 15: Aurora' was evil!! This one was on the LEFT side!! I almost gave up when I didn't find it on the right side. Too sneaky, Doc!.

Skirtlifter #5:

OMG! I feel like such a DOLT! I looked all around for a good 15 minutes before I finally realized that it was hidden JUST LIKE UM 15: Aurora!!! Now, who in their right mind would have made an assumption like that. Nice hide!! (but sneaky!)

Skirtlifter #6:

I was approaching in my car, when I noticed a SUV pull over next to a lamp post, so I parked behind, walked up, and asked the driver if he wanted to retrieve it, or if I should. We debated for a while if we really had the right lamp post or not, but finally decided to live on the edge and take a look. YEAHHH, BAYBEEE!! That turned out to be a smart decision

Skirtlifter #7:

I can't believe you have this one rated as only a 1.5 star difficulty. Come on... its an easy 4, maybe 4.5. After finding seven others near similar locations today, I figured there was NO WAY!!! this one could be hidden the same as the others, so naturally, I didn't even try. Oh no. Not me. I had to comb the pavement looking for fake pebbles. In spite of the 1.5 terrain rating, I climbed the danged pole. I looked underneath my vehicle. I checked the bottom of my shoes. FINALLY, at wits end, I gave in and looked where I had found the others and... SLAP MY FOREHEAD... there it was.

After doing a bunch of ammo cans in the woods:

Ammo can #1:

Ammo can #2:

Tough one. Had me wandering around all over the parking lot woods before I finally closed in on this sneaky little cache.

Ammo can #3:

Another tough one. I wandered around all over the parking lot woods. I was just about to claim a DNF when the lightbulb came on. Where on earth do you get these sneaky ideas?!?

Ammo can #4:

Wow!! And to think that I thought 'UM 15: Aurora' 'RA 15: Woody' was evil!! This one was on the LEFT side of the trail!! I almost gave up when I didn't find it on the right side. Too sneaky, Doc!.

Ammo can #5:

OMG! I feel like such a DOLT! I looked all around for a good 15 minutes before I finally realized that it was hidden JUST LIKE UM 15: Aurora!!! RA 15: Woody!!! Now, who in their right mind would have made an assumption like that. Nice hide!! (but sneaky!)

Ammo can #6:

I was approaching in my car, when I noticed a SUV pull over next to a lamp post tree, so I parked behind, walked up, and asked the driver if he wanted to retrieve it, or if I should. We debated for a while if we really had the right lamp post tree or not, but finally decided to live on the edge and take a look. YEAHHH, BAYBEEE!! That turned out to be a smart decision

Ammo can #7:

I can't believe you have this one rated as only a 1.5 star difficulty. Come on... its an easy 4, maybe 4.5. After finding seven others near similar locations today, I figured there was NO WAY!!! this one could be hidden the same as the others, so naturally, I didn't even try. Oh no. Not me. I had to comb the pavement underbrush looking for fake pebbles parallel sticks. In spite of the 1.5 terrain rating, I climbed the danged pole tree. I looked underneath my vehicle. I checked the bottom of my shoes. FINALLY, at wits end, I gave in and looked where I had found the others and... SLAP MY FOREHEAD... there it was.

You've found one ammo can under parallel sticks next to a tree, you've found them all. :blink:

As a cache owner, I've never had log that was too long and I doubt that would be possible. I think the only complaint I could anticipate with a really long log is the folks that download the logs onto cachemate and you put something that pertains to finding the cache itself last. I say express youself!

Skirtlifter #1:

Skirtlifter #2:

Skirtlifter #3:

Skirtlifter #4:

Skirtlifter #5:

Skirtlifter #6:

Skirtlifter #7:

After doing a bunch of ammo cans in the woods:

Ammo can #1:

Ammo can #2:

Tough one. Had me wandering around all over the parking lot woods before I finally closed in on this sneaky little cache.

Ammo can #3:

Another tough one. I wandered around all over the parking lot woods. I was just about to claim a DNF when the lightbulb came on. Where on earth do you get these sneaky ideas?!?

Ammo can #4:

Wow!! And to think that I thought 'UM 15: Aurora' 'RA 15: Woody' was evil!! This one was on the LEFT side of the trail!! I almost gave up when I didn't find it on the right side. Too sneaky, Doc!.

Ammo can #5:

OMG! I feel like such a DOLT! I looked all around for a good 15 minutes before I finally realized that it was hidden JUST LIKE UM 15: Aurora!!! RA 15: Woody!!! Now, who in their right mind would have made an assumption like that. Nice hide!! (but sneaky!)

Ammo can #6:

I was approaching in my car, when I noticed a SUV pull over next to a lamp post tree, so I parked behind, walked up, and asked the driver if he wanted to retrieve it, or if I should. We debated for a while if we really had the right lamp post tree or not, but finally decided to live on the edge and take a look. YEAHHH, BAYBEEE!! That turned out to be a smart decision

Ammo can #7:

I can't believe you have this one rated as only a 1.5 star difficulty. Come on... its an easy 4, maybe 4.5. After finding seven others near similar locations today, I figured there was NO WAY!!! this one could be hidden the same as the others, so naturally, I didn't even try. Oh no. Not me. I had to comb the pavement underbrush looking for fake pebbles parallel sticks. In spite of the 1.5 terrain rating, I climbed the danged pole tree. I looked underneath my vehicle. I checked the bottom of my shoes. FINALLY, at wits end, I gave in and looked where I had found the others and... SLAP MY FOREHEAD... there it was.

You've found one ammo can under parallel sticks next to a tree, you've found them all. :blink:

Is a sunset just another sunset? Is birdsong just another birdsong? A mountain pass just another mountain pass? Is a stream just another stream?

Before you ask, yes, a parking lot IS in fact just another parking lot.

Edited by Team GeoBlast
Nope . . . some people have logs that are so long they have to post a Note to follow up the "Found it" because they ran out of characters in that log. Check out this log. :blink:

I would love to get a log for one of my caches that carried over to a "Note." :lol:

I never knew that someone actually hit the limit. :lol:

I've done it a few times. :lol:

I've had a lot of lazy variety lately, i.e. . . .

Spent a great day caching in Cape. Thanks for all the caches!

or

Spending the day geocaching in Cape was a lot more fun than shopping on this Black Friday. A crisp sunny day yielded lots of finds. Thanks for all the caches!

Both nice logs . . . until you read the same carbon copy log entry five or six times by the same cacher.

But I just had one that really made it all worthwhile . . .

Xxxxxx Xxxx and I went on a caching spree this week as we're working on the Illinois All County Challenge and the Delorme Challenge. We found fifty plus caches on this trip and this was the only creative hide in the bunch. It's my buddy XX's favorite sort of hide in fact, so no surprise that he found it quickly. This is really quite well done, I'd certainly be proud to have a hide like this which combines history with creativity intended to fool the muggles and challenge the cachers. Thanks for sharing this location and for taking the extra step to make the hide special.

Somedays you win! :)

JohnTee

Hi, Everyone!

Relatively "new" cacher, as far as my numbers go. Although I did some caching as many as 4 years ago. Anyway, I just wanted to say that the whole reason I geocache is because I love adventure. I'm the kind of guy who loves to backpack and SCUBA dive and reread the Lord of the Rings year after year. so tramping off into the woods for some hidden treasure makes me feel like a regular Frodo Baggins! I'm sure this is the feeling for a lot of people out there... ADVENTURE! As such, I would say most of the joy of this sport and it's global connectiveness is sharing your adventures with others, especially the people who placed the cache!

I don't go looking for a geocache just to find it and increase my numbers, I do it to see and do something new. I'm very glad this thread is so active because I would agree with others in here who feel that this is very important. If there ARE people out there who are just about finding as many caches as possible, I'm not sure what they personally get out of the experience. I hope there aren't really people like that!

Get out there, have an adventure, tell us about it, and post pictures!

Happy Hunting.

You've found one ammo can under parallel sticks next to a tree, you've found them all. :laughing:

The key to avoiding the parallel stick syndrome is to get creative with the hide. This is one of my hides that has strict instructions to "not cover cache container when rehiding". Yes, that's a 50 cal ammo can under there. :ph34r:

54afcbb5-82e8-4562-bd63-12cd44c19705.jpg

Of course, this isn't the Cool Cache Container thread, so I'll close by saying I like reading and writing good logs too!

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

At least a couple of the serious cachers in my area (and certainly a few visitors, too) have a really amazing ability to say quite a lot with just a few sentences, well chosen words, ability to observe and compactly communicate observations, etc. As someone that is getting pretty addicted to hiding --- in no small part so that I can read nice logs --- I love reading these logs.

A great log does not have to be long!

StumpWater

Honestly, I think writing logs is funner then finding the cache itself.

Maybe Im selfish, but I fill out the logs for my benefit. At some point, Im hoping to have so many caches logged that I cant remember them, to which Ill be glad I have my logs here.

And to that end, if the people who placed the cache happen upon my log and get some enjoyment out of it, then thats just the gravy on top.

My logs arent long, just tidbits I remember about the cache/area/travel. I hope I never do so many caches in a day that the logs seem a PITA to fill out.

If I do a cache on Sunday and can't remember doing it on Monday, Ill probably quit.

I think it is important to wrote something interesting in the logs - I do the cut-and-paste intro for long sets of caches, and then try to write something memorable about each one. In most cases, I can remember them, but if I was on a long cache run (20+), I might need to take notes, look at the map on the cache page, or read some other logs to remember which one it was.

From a hider's perspective, I always enjoy reading the logs that I get from people. I don't like it that much when they don't put anything but TFTC.

I've also noticed, since I have the site send me activity logs for my area (found, dnf, new hides, etc), that there are certain people that when they go logging in our area, they just post the same thing. Seeing THANKS FOR THE HIDE over and over as the only log entry, I just end up deleting them really quickly. But reading some of the interesting exploits of people in our area as they find various caches is fun (when I have time), and also lets me know if there are caches I'm missing that sound like a lot of fun. That insta-notify service is really cool!

Having the benefit of a few more months of hides since I posted in this thread last... I'd have to say that I almost feel it's my duty to leave some kind of unique log. If you see me a log from me that consists of nothing but "Thanks for the hide", you can assume that the cache was so bland, I couldn't even come up with something silly. Not usually a problem as I do seem to enjoy my caching outings and nearly always have something to say about my adventures. :D

DCC

I own a few caches on another profile. It doesnt work on the forums but thats ok.

anyway.

Ive become increasingly bored with short, "copy and paste logs"

I admit I am guilty of one or two but man!

so many are showing up in my caches. its annoying. i put out caches to see if others enjoyed the area as much as i did or like the camo technique as much. i didnt put it out to hear "tnln" or "tftc"

then there's of course the ones that use so much abbreviation that i have no earthly idea what they did, took, or even if they enjoyed it!

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative".

:D:D;)

I've only got 9 finds so far but I've left more than just acronyms. Honestly, I'm glad I saw this because from what other people post in their logs, I was thinking that the owners wanted short logs. I felt like I was being rude by leaving long ones even though I would want a long log if I owned a cache.

I like to think I'm a pretty creative writer. Long logs here I come! :D

I think your logs, as well as your hides and listings, are a reflection of you. I don't always write a book for a log but I usually write a good humorous story as to what happened, what we faced, and what the experience was like. I also like to add pictures when something was deserving and have a lot in my gallery. I love reading the long logs on my hides and like seeing people who had fun at a hide I own. I also like it when people find their very first cache on one of my hides and add "WE'RE HOOKED!" in the text. Another victim... MUH-HA-HA-HA.... errr, excuse me.

It comes down to imagination and effort put forth on both logs and hides. Have seen caches in really neat areas with a lot of history and great scenery and the cache page reads "Quick PAG should be easy to find" and that's it, no links, no background image, nothing. So much potential wasted. I have micros hidden at neat spots (not condusive to full sized caches) where the listing page is several screens long, done in HTML with pictures and all kinds of info. The hide is worth the effort and I think it makes it more inviting to seekers and entices them to add to the gallery.

As long as everyone's having fun it's all okay, but good logs, like good hides, enhance the game tremendously.