The lost art of logging

9Key

To qoute our own profile page

You may be thinking why bother with good logs for all the lame micros in the hedge or a lay by or at motorway services ?, well our reasoning is that if the owner gets a log like that just once out of the hundreds of other TFTC logs they will get that feeling of delight and maybe just maybe will try to plant something more interesting the next time they are placing a cache. ...

Or they may think "Hey, people love these lame micros, I'm gonna hide more!"

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

Yes, I know, an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log and that's not what I'm talking about (I don't hide those anyway). What I'm ranting about today is the poor quality of online logs on quality caches.

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list. Many newbies seem to start off logging with the dreaded acronyms and never get away from it unfortunately.

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative". I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache. Its really not hard and only takes a few seconds longer than the "TNLNSL - TFTC" carp.

Here's a short list of things you can comment on if you can't think of anything to write in an online log:

* what was the weather like?

* see any animals, pretty flowers, nudists, etc?

* condition of the cache?

* logbook full?

* condition of swag?

* easy to find? tough?

* coordinate accuracy - good or bad?

* accuracy of terrain and difficulty ratings

* travel bug inventory

* history of the area

* memories of previous caches in the area

* comment on the state of the cache's camo, or lack there of

* did you like the cache?

* any park weirdos?

* talk to any muggles or LEO's?

I could go on and on!

Don't get me started on put-and-paste logs... :D

I as well hate short logs.

Wordiest Cachers - average words/log

1. "Team Kleijn" - 391.4

2. Western_Mass_Clan - 271.1

3. Kabuthunk - 259.8

One of my favourite parts about geocaching is giving people a good read when they read the cache logs. I'll often go into most of the points you mention above (park weirdos, do I like the area, inventory, difficulty, how long I took, things I enjoyed on the way to, at, and while leaving the cache, etc, etc) and have been told multiple times to never stop this logging practice because people enjoy reading the logs :D. On a few occasions though, I had to whittle my logs down a bit because I went over the max character length :D.

So yeah... hopefully sometime I'll find a cache of yours and give you some good reading material sometime :D

I found out the hard way this weekend how valuable logs can be! Upon opening a cache I'd just found, I discovered that it had been taken over by a fire ant colony! I was able to still sign the log and get out of there without TOO many bites (which are painful as heck!) only to get home and discover that this cache had been put on "hold" by the owner, due to the last couple of logs warning about the the fireants! I plan on reading the last couple of logs posted from now on...

I used to not really pay much attention to forum posts complaining about "TNLN" type logs (or very few words), because in general, I got few enough to overlook it. But it's been getting more and more common. Lately, my heart just sinks as I get my email notices in the mail and each one tends to be more of these very short-type logs, especially when they're on caches that I would expect to get something more. It's an epidemic, and it's not fair to anybody.

Like others said, it doesn't have to be very long or a masterpiece. I myself don't write much anymore. But I try to at least make it personal in some way. TNLN is just wrong, in my opinion. I'm not overly fond of copy and paste, either, especially when I see the same one pop up in my mail multiple times. I don't think I've ever copied and pasted. I used to practically write books for my logs, and I really wish that I could again. It's not likely to happen in my life right now, but I can strive for it. That may mean taking longer to post my log, although, which has been happening more lately. I like to upload pictures at the time that I log, so lately I seem to be months behind.

TNLN SL

TFTH

Edited by Ambrosia

TFTP :D

Thanks for the post.

I wholeheartedly agree. I ALWAYS leave at least few lines describing my hunt, the location, the weather, cache condition. It's as much for the hider's benefit as my own. I enjoy going back a read my old logs. The more descriptive, the more likely I am to remember the find.

The only caches where I may leave a very short log are those caches where the hider did not seem put a whole lot of thought into (IMO, anyway).

This is a great thread. I agree that it is really disappointing to get the "teenager speak" (VERY few words) logs on my cache. So far, I just have the one and I eagerly look forward to each new find and seeing what folks say and what they thought of the hide, location and overall experience. "TNLNSL" doesn't really convey much. Might as well write, "This is the text of my log."

The following is my favorite log to date, not just because of the nice things, but because he took the time to tell me what he thought. DragonsEar is an experienced cacher and has some very nice hides:

"June 5 by DragonsEar (1049 found)

WOW! If this is your first hide, can't wait to see what you come up with next! I absolutely LOVE walking along the rivers in this part of the state, and this cache gave me a chance to see the west bank of the Middle Pax River, one I have see so many times from the other side; searching for caches in in Savage Park. Walked by the remains of the old dam that was there to service the mill, and generally just had a great time on a beautiful, cool, June evening after work. Chose this cache to turn loose one of the GeoWoodstock V coins I got down in Raleigh last month. It's a cool icon, grab it while it's there! MANY thanks for the hide! Caches like this one are why I keep on chasing waypoints!"

Of course, if the cache is not particulary interesting, I won't write much, so I wonder if the folks that don't write much for my cache, didn't think much of it or are they just naturally brief. I don't take the time to search their previous logs, though, so I'm not really that bothered by it.

One of my logs for a 1/1 mag key holder, LPC or similar... (1 star on DG scale).

#269 - I very fast find. Left a BSA service pin.

For a very easy cache, but at least a small container (2 star on DG scale)

#301 - Right off US 301. Appropriate. Quick find before a meeting just on the other side of 50/301. Was in the midst of retreiving the cache when some muggle stadium workers were coming across the bridge on a cart. Took it to the car to look through, the replaced when they were at the far end of the lot. Dropped Police Boy TB and retrieved The GREEN Mouse TB. TFTC.

Typical log for a cache on the 3-4 star range on the DG scale (this was more of a 4):

#302 - Got up at 7 this morning and headed out for my first foray in to Fleye's Kingdom. Parked just south of the bridge and headed in, not knowing what I'd find. Even though it had rained last night, I think I benefited from the recent drought since I was able to make a more or less bee line toward the cache. Once I got near GZ, I had to figure out the right way to approach it, but found the classic majikfleye container (with a twist). It was laying on its side, though, so I tried to return it to its intended orientation. Have no idea what the clue refered to, however. Dropped off Gerbera Daisy Micro Geocoin. Otherwise, TNLNSL. Thanks.

PS - I was a big fan of "Land of the Lost" when I a lad.

When I really enjoy the cache or have much more of a memorable experience going after it, I'll get even more verbose (like this post)...

#25! - Great cache! Loved the attraction at the payoff. Visiting with my aunt and uncle here in Young Harris, Ga.

Aunt B recognized the map for stage one right away and was planning to take us over there anyway. Glad I checked out the local caches first.

Once we got the coords set up for stage 2 set, we went down the road a little further to check on the local llamas. They were hanging out in the barn.

Finally, we headed out to stage 2. No problem. Name at top of column 3 is my favorite Dem. Got the next set of coords set up and were off. This was a little tougher. I didn't have a local map, so I was just trying to follow my Legend around these twisty roads. Took a few false turns off of 76, but Aunt B finally suggested we try what turned out to be the right one. GPS was blinking in and out, but just as we were about on top of it, it came back up and told us we were only about 400 feet away.

When I saw the signage for the "attraction", I knew were on the right trail. Within 10 minutes, we had the cache in hand (so to speak). Aunt B also got to learn why the road has the name it has. This was a nice intro to GC for her. I left a Grand Teton Mountains magnet and took a smiley face keychain to add to my GC backpack. Son (JuniorNimrod) left an Archie Comics holographic trading card, "Eternal Triangle". I thought that was appropriate in light of the romantic nature of stage one. He took a golfball. I also retrieved The Graduate TB and dropped the Lucky TB.

Whew. This has definitely been my longest log to day.

In closing, I like to write worthwhile logs when the cache deserves it and always do more that "TNLNSL. TFTC."

As much as I would like to agree that every log should be a nice write-up of the adventure one has in finding each cache, the more people bemoan this problem, the more I want to log every cache with 'found'.

Seriously, I don't see this as a real issue. Since the beginning, some people will post only very short found it logs, while others will hit you with a long story ala oregone.

It's real life, people. You get what you get. There's really no point in complaining about other people (that you have no control over) not satisfying your desires.

Edited by sbell111

I tend to write a fairly good log. I've had folks email me many times thanking me for my log. Where my logs get short is when I've done a series by one person. If I'm logging 5 - 8 caches by the same person and they were all in a series I've mostly gone through what happened within the first few logs. I still try to include something about each hide but the multi-paragraph logs definitely don't happen in this case.

I just checked the link for my recent logs. Only 4 logs were listed on that page due to length. I listed 3 finds. One with 9 lines of text in the log, one with 25 lines of text, and one with 14 lines of text in the log. That last one with 14 lines was a simple "stop and grab" micro. The 4th log was a DNF log with 10 lines of text.

Maybe I'm a blather mouth but I like to write something a little more that TFTC in a log. I know that when I receive a log on one of my caches I'm always much happier to receive a nice long or informative log than a simple TFTC, TNLN, or "quick grab thanks" or something like that.

As much as I would like to agree that every log should be a nice write-up of the adventure one has in finding each cache, the more people bemoan this problem, the more I want to log every cache with 'found'.

Seriously, I don't see this as a real issue. Since the beginning, some people will post only very short found it logs, while others will hit you with a long story ala oregone.

It's real life, people. You get what you get. There's really no point in complaining about other people (that you have no control over) not satisfying your desires.

I disagree. It's like the picture thread - discussing this helps it to be in the forefront of our minds, and I for one am motivated to do better. If not for anyone else, but me! :D

I disagree. It's like the picture thread - discussing this helps it to be in the forefront of our minds, and I for one am motivated to do better. If not for anyone else, but me! :D

I only see two problems (other than the whining):

• most people don't read the forums
  • most people don't see anything wrong with the way that they currently do it.

Edited by sbell111

what a great topic! I am new to this, but I love to log. The first few were short, but I am starting to take better notes in the field and now I am able to remember everything when I get back to log it. I find it actually fun telling about my adventure. I also love taking pictures and wish to see more pictures of people at caches. It is usually only my son and I so I hold the camera up and take multiple picture of us 'til I find the one I like (thank God for digital cameras)

Expecting everyone to write detailed logs is unrealistic. The people who like to write will write, and those who don't won't. Just because someone doesn't write a detailed log doesn't mean they are lazy--there are many reasons for why people log they way they log. Some may not have enough time as the actual hunt squeezes out all their remaining free time. Some people may not like writing lengthy details in a log that is readable by the public. And, it only takes one cache owner who is trigger happy on the delete button to make you rethink about how you do your logs.

Of course, some may not know that detailed logs are fun for everyone. Encourage those that are willing to write to write and that may cut down on the monkey-see-monkey-do factor. But a sincere "TFTC" is always much better than someone writing a long but insincere log just to fill in space.

Aloha!

First and foremost I want to thank you for this Forum topic. It has really opened my eyes. I really had no idea that people would really feel that strongly one way or the other when it comes to the logs. Being new to the sport, all I can say in my defense is that I am truly only modeling the behavior of others. Most log postings that I have read have been terse and extremely unimaginative. So in my case I would have to say it was definitely Monkey See, Monkey Do!

From the reading I've done about GeoCaching (cite: GeoCaching for Dummies, this website and possibly one other), I had assumed that the logs at the GZ would be full of wonderful stories. However, when I got there, I saw mostly a logbook listing visitors' caching handles, the date and maybe a short blurb. Very seldom did I find anything more verbose than Nice Hide! TFTC TNLNSL etc.. I was a little disappointed and I left the same type of entry for my own. I have recently expanded my logging to include what I took and what I left (big deal) - where's the beef? I thought this must be the way it is done - to conserve paper in the log books or something to that effect. The only problem with my paper saving theory was that the online logs seemed to be just as barren.

Now that I've read this, I plan to do just the opposite. I want each adventure to become a story in and of itself. If that means taking my find rate from 3-6 a day down to just 1 or 2, then so be it. I will turn my geocaching experience into an opportunity to really hone my powers of observation and descriptive prowess. Since I have yet to place my first hide, I still have no idea what to expect. What would I like to hear from cachers who found my stash? TFTC - SL

To be perfectly honest, in the beginning, there's this huge unknown and an overwhelming sense of concern as to whether or not I'm doing things the right way or the wrong way. But now I think that I can add a whole new dimension to GeoCaching simply by making it an exercise in the creative process. Afterall, it's primarily the creative process that makes geocaching fun in the first place. The problem solving, the creativity involved in thinking up some fantastic themes and puzzles to go with them and now, finally, I can add the stories in the logs (I have regretfully overlooked a very critical piece of the whole).

Since I only have a few finds under my belt. I am tempted to go back and repair my log entries. As a matter of fact. I'll spare the forum readers reading this and go and do exactly that. Thanks again for the eye opening post. I want you to know that it has had a positive affect on me and the game is better for it.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

MakoKidd

Aloha!

First and foremost I want to thank you for this Forum topic. It has really opened my eyes. I really had no idea that people would really feel that strongly one way or the other when it comes to the logs. Being new to the sport, all I can say in my defense is that I am truly only modeling the behavior of others. Most log postings that I have read have been terse and extremely unimaginative. So in my case I would have to say it was definitely Monkey See, Monkey Do!

From the reading I've done about GeoCaching (cite: GeoCaching for Dummies, this website and possibly one other), I had assumed that the logs at the GZ would be full of wonderful stories. However, when I got there, I saw mostly a logbook listing visitors' caching handles, the date and maybe a short blurb. Very seldom did I find anything more verbose than Nice Hide! TFTC TNLNSL etc.. I was a little disappointed and I left the same type of entry for my own. I have recently expanded my logging to include what I took and what I left (big deal) - where's the beef? I thought this must be the way it is done - to conserve paper in the log books or something to that effect. The only problem with my paper saving theory was that the online logs seemed to be just as barren.

Now that I've read this, I plan to do just the opposite. I want each adventure to become a story in and of itself. If that means taking my find rate from 3-6 a day down to just 1 or 2, then so be it. I will turn my geocaching experience into an opportunity to really hone my powers of observation and descriptive prowess. Since I have yet to place my first hide, I still have no idea what to expect. What would I like to hear from cachers who found my stash? TFTC - SL

To be perfectly honest, in the beginning, there's this huge unknown and an overwhelming sense of concern as to whether or not I'm doing things the right way or the wrong way. But now I think that I can add a whole new dimension to GeoCaching simply by making it an exercise in the creative process. Afterall, it's primarily the creative process that makes geocaching fun in the first place. The problem solving, the creativity involved in thinking up some fantastic themes and puzzles to go with them and now, finally, I can add the stories in the logs (I have regretfully overlooked a very critical piece of the whole).

Since I only have a few finds under my belt. I am tempted to go back and repair my log entries. As a matter of fact. I'll spare the forum readers reading this and go and do exactly that. Thanks again for the eye opening post. I want you to know that it has had a positive affect on me and the game is better for it.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

MakoKidd

Could you cut down on the length of your forum posts? I can't stand long, wordy forum posts. They irritate me almost as much as short, terse "Found It" logs.

Just kidding! Welcome to the boards!

ON at least one of my caches - I comment about the log and say 'No babbling' just cache related comments

I don't need to know how cranky the kids are or if Johnny had trouble finding his shoes, what ya had for breakfast, where ya got gas, or if you had to go back home for something you forgot. Talk about something you did relating to your day out. I assume people are proud of their caches and want to here some appreciation for their effort. I do take pictures and see interesting things along the way. Cache condition can be a quick comment. I often wonder, if I really hate the cache - should I say so - do I owe it to other cachers, to know I wanted to stomp it to pieces but didn't.

ON at least one of my caches - I comment about the log and say 'No babbling' just cache related comments

I don't need to know how cranky the kids are or if Johnny had trouble finding his shoes, what ya had for breakfast, where ya got gas, or if you had to go back home for something you forgot. Talk about something you did relating to your day out. ...

found.

I recieved the following log on one of my caches recently.

WOW!! I loved this cache. What a really neat hide and good technique. I can tell you have put a lot of thought into this hide. We are on vacation from xxxxxxx. This is defenitly our favorite cache we found on the trip

I was thrilled to see it. My heart was filled with pride.

Then I got it again on another hide.

and again

and again.

Cut and paste...... they didn't even look to see whon the hider was. 4 caches spread out over 200 miles of driving.

You might want to check for the signature in the logbook. When I see cut and paste logs that seem somewhat specific, nearly every time it was some phony logging caches he didn't find. Things like "definitely our favorite" for a guardrail micro, or "great camo job" or "neat hide and good technique" for an ammo box under a pile of stocks" set off alarm bells in my head.

One guy's phony cut and paste log said "Nice but not too far walk to the cache" and "beautiful area" for a cache that was a drive up hidden under rotting plywood on a litter strewn strip along a highway. Another person's cut and paste log said in part "I managed to stay on the trails the entire way to the cache. " for a cache of mine that involves extensive bushwacking.

As far as the original subject, as a cache owner I love seeing logs of at least a few sentences. I like to think that most of my cache hides are in interesting areas or involve more than just a routine walk, so when I get a simple "TFTC" log my first reaction is that I wonder if the person actually visited the cache. In truth though some people just don't have the imagination, inclination or time to write longer logs.

Edited by briansnat

In truth though some people just don't have the imagination, inclination or time to write longer logs.

As far as the time issue goes, cachers have no problem taking the time to drive to the cache area, walk to it, search, sign the log, and eventually drive back home. A couple of minutes to write a descriptive log ought to be worked into the equation somehow. :o

I used to write longer logs, but lately I spend more time on photographs. If cachers don't read cache descriptions, they're sure as heck not going to read my blathering logs. Then there was the backhanded compliment I received at an event: "Your logs are wonderful. I love to read yours and X's and Y's." Well, X writes wonderful logs, comical and surreal. But Y writes stories-with-Y-as-hero that are fingernails-on-a-blackboard irritating. Being included in this trio on the basis of word count prompted me to be more concise. (Couldn't tell that from my forum posts, though :o )

Here's an example short log from a non-epic/non-lame cache we did last weekend:

Skeeters chased us all the way to the cache. Whew! They just do not give up. The ingenious hiding spot has kept the cache dry and in good shape through the monsoons. TNLNSL. Thanks!

and the photo:

439746cc-7577-48e6-a9c4-0746c21afabb.jpg

Tree man descending the wash bank

...you do see it, don't you? He's steadying himself with his right hand against the bank, left arm thrown out for balance...

So, log connoisseurs, would you be pleased to receive a short log/picture combo like that on one of yours?

Some people you have to calibrate for. We have a cacher here who signed my very silliest cache

As Plain As... like this:

hillarious...S.L. craftsman

But then this is how he signs most caches:

S.L. craftsman

So I'm still honored.

Most of the logs on this are short but it's a one - shot sight gag and a play on another nano by our Ubercacher, Mondou2, so I still like what people say. I get a lot of puns, but if you've seen the cache you know I asked for it and I'm lovin' it!

I like to write Limmericks, haikus and Double Dactlys, and put them in my logs sometimes, (And I'm having great fun in O.T.!) Here's a sketch of Craftsman I left in Ludicrous Limmericks:

With Craftsman it's clear as a bell

Some trouble? You never can tell.

Though I'm verbose, or worse,

Crafty's entries are terse:

I'm Craftsman, I did it, SL

Here's a haiku from a log on a fairly simple cache that still captures the experience:

Dodging the raindrops

On a break from Sleuthers' test.

Thank you for the cache!

So good is not always long. I just love to see someone's sense of humor come through. And I ALWAYS spell out Thank you for the cache! It's not a rubber stamp.

Here's about as verbose as I get:

Prevaricator's puzzle Cache

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion:

Addon Note

As for myself, I spend easily five to ten times as long reading logs and logging as I do caching. I even browse caches all over the world (Thanks, Google Earth).

...What were we talking about?

-Bill

I used to write longer logs, but lately I spend more time on photographs. If cachers don't read cache descriptions, they're sure as heck not going to read my blathering logs. Then there was the backhanded compliment I received at an event: "Your logs are wonderful. I love to read yours and X's and Y's." Well, X writes wonderful logs, comical and surreal. But Y writes stories-with-Y-as-hero that are fingernails-on-a-blackboard irritating. Being included in this trio on the basis of word count prompted me to be more concise. (Couldn't tell that from my forum posts, though :o )

Here's an example short log from a non-epic/non-lame cache we did last weekend:

Skeeters chased us all the way to the cache. Whew! They just do not give up. The ingenious hiding spot has kept the cache dry and in good shape through the monsoons. TNLNSL. Thanks!

and the photo:

439746cc-7577-48e6-a9c4-0746c21afabb.jpg

Tree man descending the wash bank

...you do see it, don't you? He's steadying himself with his right hand against the bank, left arm thrown out for balance...

So, log connoisseurs, would you be pleased to receive a short log/picture combo like that on one of yours?

Thats a great log entry. Its interesting, personal, and has some eye candy for the owner/ readers of the logs to look at.

Hi folks,

Thanks for an informative forum post. I just started this hobby yesterday and will try to remember my camera and thesaurus, because I know I am vocabularily challenged!

Although a short log entry seems to be bad ettiquette-on both caches I've found-there was more in the log book than online. The online logs are helpful just to see when the last time the cache was found.

And with a signature swag item, I hope to find something interesting to leave in a log.

Now let's all get off the forum page and leave better logs!

Some people you have to calibrate for. We have a cacher here who signed my very silliest cache

As Plain As... like this:

hillarious...S.L. craftsman

But then this is how he signs most caches:

S.L. craftsman

So I'm still honored.

SL = signed log? I've always wondered why people say that in their online logs. You have to sign the log to claim a find, so that information is redundant isn't it? :(

I tend to write wordy logs on my finds, I tell about the bugs, about taking the wrong trail (9 times out of 10!), about who accompanied me, what we saw, etc.

But my DNF logs tend to be longer and at times funnier!

I love reading long logs (or at least a few sentences) especially when I am on the trail PDA in hand looking for that "extra clue"

I've been reading this thread for awhile and finally had to put in my two cents worth. Logs are an important part of the pleasure I receive from hiding caches. I have hidden over 70 caches at ghost towns and old cemeteries in order to share the history of the area where I live. I've driven hundreds of miles, met wonderful people who have told me terrific stories about the towns and cemeteries, and learned much from researching the sites on the web and in books. I've spent time preparing the caches, planning an efficient route, and actually traveling for most of the day to place a number of caches at one time. I have shared the information I have found or been given on the cache pages. It has been a labor of love.

I realize there are lots of cachers out there who never read the cache pages and are only interested in the smiley they will get. I can live with that because for every one of those people who log one of my ghost towns or cemeteries, there are others who are gracious in their comments and have expressed pleasure at finding the cache at an interesting place and learning some history. Balances out.

The only reason I am responding today is because three days ago I put out eleven caches - 9 at ghost towns and cemeteries and 2 at just interesting places. Two cachers went out together today and found 9 of the caches and all I got was TFTC FTF SL TNLN. It was disappointing. I'll get over it and will look forward to better logs from other cachers; but wanted to share my thoughts. The good logs I get inspire me to continue finding interesting places to hide caches at. The multitude of blah logs just make me wonder sometimes why I bother.

I'll get over it and will look forward to better logs from other cachers; but wanted to share my thoughts. The good logs I get inspire me to continue finding interesting places to hide caches at. The multitude of blah logs just make me wonder sometimes why I bother.

I think it's important that from time to time we remind people that geocaching is not simply a solitary endeavor. Granted the act of caching usually is but if we let others know we are interested in their journey they'll probably want to make the effort to share something. I know I'll be far more willing to tell a story if I know someone is listening.

I'm a newbie or tadpole or whatever you want to call me. My first find was 9/2/07 and when I logged my find I thought I was putting in too much extraneous info about my experience with the find; but I was excited about it. One week later, I now have 10 finds (covering 3 states) and the last find is just as exciting as the first. All my log entries so far have been at least a full sentence or more. I've even taken to typing out the words rather than using acronyms. It takes a couple extra seconds, but in my opinion it's much more personal. If it's not a micro, at a minimum I will comment on the cache condition. Even urban micros deserve more than a TFTH. I have also added personal observations, comments or humorous incidents about several caches. Ex: Yesterday I added a log entry as a note for Silo Mentality... while searching the location I was advised by a member of the law enforcement community "It would be in the best interests of my safety, that I move along." He never even asked me what I was doing there!!

I agree with the sentiment that the logging is as much a part of the game as the find. I will continue to write logs that I would want to see if the hide were my own.

And that's my two cents worth on the subject.

Edited by tinksdad01

9Key, thanks for the list. I'm new to geocaching, started in May with only 24 finds to date. Ive always thought that I should be writing more in the log than I have but have mostly been lost on what to say. There have been a couple of caches that stood out at the time so I wrote more about them. Your list and other posts in this thread will help me in the future.

Before I go out after a cache I read the logs to see if they give me any hints. (Because I don't know what I'm doing.) As brief as some of the logs are, I wonder why they bothered to log it. Other times the logs have been good reading, even though it isn't my cache.

One of my logs from yesterday.

"After finding your cache my cache partner and I jumped back into the car. We strapped on our seatbelts and I started 'er up. First I put the car into drive and pulled forward turning it to a hard left. Just before I hit the curb and braked and put it into reverse. I backed up turning the wheel to the right, again braking before hitting the curb behind me. Back into the forward gear and turning again to the left I navigated ourselves down the road and out of the area. I believe this would be called a three-point turn."

"After finding your cache my cache partner and I jumped back into the car. We strapped on our seatbelts and I started 'er up. First I put the car into drive and pulled forward turning it to a hard left. Just before I hit the curb and braked and put it into reverse. I backed up turning the wheel to the right, again braking before hitting the curb behind me. Back into the forward gear and turning again to the left I navigated ourselves down the road and out of the area. I believe this would be called a three-point turn."

That's great! If you can't think of anyting to say about the cache, don't let that squelch your creativity. Not to assume that your cache isn't worth commenting on, but it was a cool log. (Wasn't sure if it was a log you wrote or a log on a cache you own.)

Edited by DudleyGrunt

That's great! If you can't think of anyting to say about the cache, don't let that squelch your creativity. Not to assume that your cache isn't worth commenting on, but it was a cool log. (Wasn't sure if it was a log you wrote or a log on a cache you own.)

It was a log I wrote for a cache I found on Saturday. Turning the car around was more fun than finding the cache.

I haven't actually posted it on the cache page as I'm currently writing my logs in a personal journal. I will eventually do the online logging.

I'm sure I will post something a tad bit more... economically phrased.

Edited by BlueDeuce

SL = signed log? I've always wondered why people say that in their online logs. You have to sign the log to claim a find, so that information is redundant isn't it? :huh:

You would think :rolleyes: .

I had a TNLNSL'er claim a find on a cache of mine that had gone missing. Except in this case, the "SL" was missing from their copy and paste job. Small wonder... B)

As a brand new cacher, I was very grateful for this thread. I thought, based on logs that I'd seen, that shorter was better, and if you used a lot of abbreviations, it meant you were a "hip" cacher, who knew all the terminology. It seems much better to instead leave something of substance, both as a small "reward" for the owner, and also to give someone browsing the listings an idea of what the cache, and the area around it, is like.

I would think it would be worthwhile for someone to publish an "unofficial" guide to geocaching that has more of this type of opinion-based pieces on caching activities. Another thing that would be extremely welcome in that guide would be a solid recommendation on different GPSr options. I know that Groundspeak tries to be very egalitarian in everything they do, but it's hard with all the different options out there to know which one is a good buy, and with no opinions readily available, it's pretty tough to decide.

Thanks again for letting me know that it is okay and also welcomed if you want to leave a long cache log.

-Isaac

Well, as I stated in my earlier post, I do not feel that the art of leaving long and heartfelt logs is dead, and rather, I suspect that in general, the length of the log reflects the tender loving care and effort put into the cache by the owner/hider; short logs, in general, seem to reflect lame or ordinary caches. I already reproduced for illustration purposes some recent logs for just one day alone from our PUC #10 in an earlier post; here now are the eight (8) most recent logs (including DNFs and notes as well) from our Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now!:

:P (DNF) September 10 by Woodlit (320 found)

Errr thought I had everything I would need to make this a one shot solo deal, but things didn't go so well.

Left my house 1:30am, arrived at parking lot at 6:00am. Had a snack, and waited for daybreak.

Was worried about getting the initial line up with the bow, but that turned out to be the easy part (in the beginning). Getting it up and over, no problem. Getting it so it doesn't sit in those motor cracks, or lie on the branches of that horrendous tree, now thats a different story. Nothing new though, I think thats the trouble every body else had.

I think all in all I tried 7 different lines over the top. 1 broke while stepping up diameters, 1 I didn't like the position of and yanked down, and the rest all got stuck in the cracks or in that darn tree. Besides the one I yanked down, I think I worked each line for about an hour and a half. Pull from this side, switch to this side, pull down and tie a different knot (still haven't figured out which knots don't' get stuck). I even set up a pulley system with the trees, for one line that was stuck in the tree. I know some fisherman got a kick out of me running from one side to the next over and over and over hehehe

Even with all the troubles I'm having with pulling the lines over, I still think I'm doing pretty good. Until I start having reel problems. After the countless times I re-spooled that thing because of tangles, it started to crap out on me. The little teeth inside that grip the line when reeling it in started to stick, so pulling in line now is a big to-do. Then I start to have problems with the anti-reverse feature. I have it selected to off, but it keeps locking up on me. It started out only letting about 100' of line out, then it would jam and drop the arrow in its tracks. Then it would jam at 50', and kept going down... I decided to bag it after I lost two arrows in the distance. If the reel jammed quick enough and only let out a few feet of line, the arrow still had the power and broke the line, allowing the arrow to fly away into the distance. Even with target tips, deadly isn't even the word. Rather than risk killing someone, I called it a day. I think at that time I had a total of around 11 hours at ground zero lol :-)

New plan. Grab a motel for the night, and find a fishing store and pick up a new reel. Packed up gear, and headed out to the parking lot. So I'm feeling pretty bummed about not being able to climb the pillar today, and I walk out and see my rear tire is flat. I picked up a 3/8s bolt somewhere :-( The rear tires are getting worn, but what horrible timing. I change it out with the spare, then head home. Instead of that room and new reel, looks like I'm buying two new tires for my rear axle :-(

Thats ok, I'm a stubborn young man and I'll be back. Might wait until it gets cooler though, was soaked with sweat within an hour :-)

(NOTE) July 2 by Moosemeat (1044 found)

Want to congratulate everyone on the team that made it possible for the two climbers to conquer the tower. I was a spectator at the first attempt a couple of weeks ago and knew they were persistant enough to eventually make it. I think all the frustrations made them try harder and accomplish their goal. MOOSEMEAT (a cacher from NJ)

(NOTE) July 2 by Indy-Md (1265 found)

I want to make another note from this past weekend. One of the Tower Assault Party made a high sacrifice on his resources while we were working at getting the line over. Snurt's inflatable kayak met an unfortunately placed subsurface rock that ripped a perfect triangular slice into the bottom of his sunny vessel. It was fortunate that this only compromised 1/3 of his buoyancy, but that was enough to cause more trouble with maneuvering than really needed to be.

Thanks, Snurt, for that sacrifice! I'm sorry that it happened at all.

(NOTE from previous finder who assisted latest team) July 1 by BJ&Snurt101 (2308 found)

What a triumph, under azure-blue cloud-fluffed skies at the railroad pier on the Potomac, surrounded by the lush green of the West Virginia heights and Maryland's C&O Canal.

It took six shots by the archer to find the winning parabola. To future cachers, be forewarned that those empty concrete chinks between blocks will defeat you almost every time (the sole exception being the FTF event last fall by Team Psycho).

Truly a team effort, we had to contend with swirling currents, wind, irksome foliage (including poison ivy) on all sides of the tower, errant firewire, tenacious line knots and those nasty hobbitses.

When all the teamwork, meticulous planning and tower rigging intersected, the actual ascent and conguest was awesome to experience and behold. Indy and Gayle exude that indomintable human spirit for fun, adventure, and pure vertical moxie. My hat is off to them.

Oh that I hadn't removed my hat and opted for a sweat band. The hours of water-reflected sunlight have left a band of white-divided-by-red on my forehead.

By the time our crew (and some locals who had joined us) had finished with a smaller pier cache upstream, we were one tired (and no doubt smelly) and famished lot. We repaired for sustenance, libations and afterglow to a nearby watering hole.

To each of You - Indy, GGG, Will and Bucky, many thanks.

:) June 30 by maxboost1998 (588 found)

WOW! What can I say...I wasn't sure I was ever going to get to log this one. Between my bad luck and over sleeping I didn't think it was possible. Well...IT WAS! All it took was being part of an awesome team. It was great how everyone worked together. Me, being by myself on top the overlook most the day, got pretty lonely but everyone was superfriendly. Indy...you da man, Gale...you da woman.

[view this log on a separate page]

(NOTE from previous finder who assisted latest team) June 30 by GoGayleGo (2587 found)

Woo hoo! Think the adrenaline is still pumping...

Impossible? Nope. Give up? No way! The Tower Assault Party persevered and conquered this cache today. You cannot even begin to imagine the logistics and teamwork required for success on this cache - which I've now been privileged to be a part of twice. Every member of the team contributed in a major way, and we all had a great time. Sadly, I've realized we don't even have a group picture, as we were rather scattered performing our various tasks.

I always knew that if someone was going to attempt to climb this tower safely, I'd want to be a part of it. Ultimately, I chose not to climb per se, but to perform a rope ascension (still a lot of work!). Thanks especially to Indy for the encouragement, technical help, mentorship and moral support he's provided during the past few months as I began my intrusion into his main hobby...

At the end of the day, I was exhausted, sunburnt, sore, bloody and bruised - excellent!

Teamwork was key, and dadgum we had a great team. You guys all rock! Let's do it again sometime...

:D June 30 by eXtremeJeep (617 found)

So what can I say about our day in Shepherdstown? The day started out exactly as our previous attempt had before. After a little trial and error and great communication between both sets of our team (ground and eye in the sky) we finally achieved a secure line.

The team then took a brief pause to re-hydrate and take in some protein and to wait for the camera guy. It was now time for the climbers to make their ascension to the summit. After both climbers had skillfully made their way to the top I am sure all of Shepherdstown knew due to the cheers echoing down the river.

I was glad to be a part of this highly organized and skilled team. This is a fine example of what good planning, patience and experience can achieve!

:) June 30 by Indy-Md (1265 found)

The Tower has fallen - on this this glorious day, full of vigor and sun, two humans have successfully negotiated their way up the sides of the tower (by two different means) and stood on it's tippy top.

The adventure started out perfect. Then we had rope slippage where we did not want it. The next few hours were an exercise in frustration. Then finally our archer opted for a slightly different tactic, to which I was leery of, but willing to try. THIS worked! And not overly long after I was standing atop the tower, cache in hand (with serious Popeye arms from the pump). GoGayleGo joined me via rope ascension shortly afterwards.

Oh, Vinny. I took my 104' measuring tape to the top. We measured the height of the tower. I solicited guesses from both the Tower Support Personnel and the Shore Party at the overlook.

Snurt came the closest, being 8' over the actual height (which I won't mention was 70' even).

And while the climb was tough and steep (did I mention pumpy?), it was not impossible. Why I did not give up.

I can't thank enough the Tower Assault Party, both at the base and at the overlook, for their varied resource and manpower contributions to this climb.

I suspect that in general, the length of the log reflects the tender loving care and effort put into the cache by the owner/hider; short logs, in general, seem to reflect lame or ordinary caches.

I've also generally found this to be true... even the least wordy cachers tend to write something in addition to their usual c/p log on more involved caches. While short logs can act as a sort of "lameness filter", some of the exceptions I've seen have really surprised me: for example, there is a hide near my old home that I've had on my watchlist since I started caching. It involves a 4+ mile trip to the top of a mountain on a steep, narrow, treacherous 4WD trail, and has only had a handful of finds in 5 years. Most of the logs rave about how awesome the journey was, or how much they loved the adventure, and the logs have been very entertaining. Then, a group of 3-4 people got together to seek out the cache, and while most of them wrote about what a great time they all had, and shared some of the challenges they faced, the third member of their party logged with a simple "TFTC".

What, other than griping, do folks plan to do about what they perceive as inadequate logs? It's very satisfying to get together and codemn others' moral failings, but what about creating incentives for improvement? A couple of posters mentioned sending or receiving 'thank yous' for creative logs--that seems like a positive incentive. I've occasionally gotten out-of-the-blue emails commenting on something I've said in a log, and I can ride that high for a week. You can bet that figures into the effort I put into logging.

We've got to have something better to offer than scolding and disapproval, or we should agree that we're not interested in making things better, just in congratulating ourselves.

While I also don't like the pasted or the TNLNSL logs, I think I'm bothered almost as much by the "quick and easy find" logs. At times it feels condescending. We don't have that many hides - only 6 - and they are not masterpieces. We are new to hiding and they get better (I hope) each time. None of them are higher than difficulty of 2, and so yes they are fairly easy, but still I'd rather hear something nice about the cache and am a little offended by a simple "quick and easy". Maybe by some cachers' standards they are lame. I don't know. We have a lot of new cachers in our area and a lot of hard puzzle caches in our area, so some of us put out easier ones for noobs and younger cachers to enjoy and build a little experience with caching. I try not to get mad about the "quick and easy" logs, though, because that might be a compliment from a newer cacher. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that several times after i've read a log like that. Ultimately, though, I'm happy if people find it, regardless of what they post in their log. The logs that bother me the most are the DNF's. i take that personally and feel badly for the person who didn't find it.

and we try to always reply to anyone who has found one of our caches. we've met some nice people that way. :P

While I also don't like the pasted or the TNLNSL logs, I think I'm bothered almost as much by the "quick and easy find" logs. At times it feels condescending. We don't have that many hides - only 6 - and they are not masterpieces. We are new to hiding and they get better (I hope) each time. None of them are higher than difficulty of 2, and so yes they are fairly easy, but still I'd rather hear something nice about the cache and am a little offended by a simple "quick and easy". Maybe by some cachers' standards they are lame. I don't know. We have a lot of new cachers in our area and a lot of hard puzzle caches in our area, so some of us put out easier ones for noobs and younger cachers to enjoy and build a little experience with caching. I try not to get mad about the "quick and easy" logs, though, because that might be a compliment from a newer cacher. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that several times after i've read a log like that. Ultimately, though, I'm happy if people find it, regardless of what they post in their log. The logs that bother me the most are the DNF's. i take that personally and feel badly for the person who didn't find it.

and we try to always reply to anyone who has found one of our caches. we've met some nice people that way. :P

Well, if you put out easier ones for the "noobs", as you say, why should you be bothered with "quick and easy find" logs ... after all, that's what they're intended to be.

When I'm traveling, and looking at cache logs near the highway or in the towns that I may be in, I look for certain clues like "quick" or "easy". So, especially for caches near highways, I'll usually put one of those words in my log to help future hiders know that they can do this cache while on a trip and not take up too much travel time. This is especially important while traveling with a somewhat non-geocaching husband.

So I believe that a lot of the time, this is just to describe in truthfulness the cache. This isn't necessarily a put down, but can be a compliment. Not every cache needs to be hard. AMEN!

Well, if you put out easier ones for the "noobs", as you say, why should you be bothered with "quick and easy find" logs ... after all, that's what they're intended to be.

I was thinking the same thing. If you don't like logs like that then don't hide quick and easy caches. That is a very common log for numbers cachers and not just noobs.