The lost art of logging

9Key

One of my favorite parts of hiding caches is (or was) receiving emailed logs from the cachers that have found or not found my caches. My enjoyment of this part of the game has diminished over the last couple of years due to the increasingly poor logging practices of my fellow cachers.

Yes, I know, an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log and that's not what I'm talking about (I don't hide those anyway). What I'm ranting about today is the poor quality of online logs on quality caches.

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list. Many newbies seem to start off logging with the dreaded acronyms and never get away from it unfortunately.

I've asked some cachers that write turd logs why they do it and for the most part they say "I can't think of anything to write", or "I'm not creative". I'm not looking for a witty, creative, Kurt Vonnegut-type log, just something descriptive of your time hunting the cache. Its really not hard and only takes a few seconds longer than the "TNLNSL - TFTC" carp.

Here's a short list of things you can comment on if you can't think of anything to write in an online log:

* what was the weather like?

* see any animals, pretty flowers, nudists, etc?

* condition of the cache?

* logbook full?

* condition of swag?

* easy to find? tough?

* coordinate accuracy - good or bad?

* accuracy of terrain and difficulty ratings

* travel bug inventory

* history of the area

* memories of previous caches in the area

* comment on the state of the cache's camo, or lack there of

* did you like the cache?

* any park weirdos?

* talk to any muggles or LEO's?

I could go on and on!

Don't get me started on put-and-paste logs... :)

It's probably just laziness, or maybe some people just aren't good writers. My logs usually wind up with a reasonable paragraph or so, unless something unusual happens. If my camera weren't broke, I think anymore I'd post a picture on each log. THAT is what makes my day, when somebody finds one of my caches and posts a picture of them at the site or on the way, especially if it's a family out enjoying the cache with their kids.

People who can't take the time to write an informative log have been one of my pet peaves for a long time. Especially "cut and paste" logs. It's like a slap in the face to those of us who take the time and effort to place a decent cache. The least the cache finder can do is type a little about their adventure.

As with many things, you can't control actions. This complaint has been around since the beginning. I agree that it's fun to read interesting logs, but reality strikes. Not all people have the ability to write a paragraph all the time. There's also times when it might be best to NOT write that paragraph, remembering what my mother told about saying things nice or not saying things. Enjoy those the write a bit, and ignore those that don't.

gee, and I have to do that 50 times a day :) now not everyone does this but a majority do tend to take the easy route.

I will & do not hide any easy (to get to - well there is one out there) caches just to prevent the cut & pase or TFTC fluff. I know and understand that some folks just have nothing to say but throw a dog a bone every now and then :P

After 1000 logs it's just hard to be creative. Most caches blur into the background. The ones that don't, the ones that have something else interesting happen while on the way, or even if something is in the news get better logs.

Quality caches also blur. "Yes the waterfall was nice. So were the other 200 I have seen before this one. We got wet."

Some friends and I have just started geocaching...so we are new to this. I had never thought about how to sign log. We try to keep cache log short...KISS. We have done alot of micro/small caches lately that have been TNLNSL...and that is what we posted. We do try to put a lil bit of info in...great hunt, etc. Your post now has me thinking about the online logs...guess I will be doing a better job of posting. We go as a group (children and adults) and sometimes it is hard to remember all that happens in the hunt. I will try to do a better job of posting logs from this point forward. I totally understand what you are saying and will remember it.

I recieved the following log on one of my caches recently.

WOW!! I loved this cache. What a really neat hide and good technique. I can tell you have put a lot of thought into this hide. We are on vacation from xxxxxxx. This is defenitly our favorite cache we found on the trip

I was thrilled to see it. My heart was filled with pride.

Then I got it again on another hide.

and again

and again.

Cut and paste...... they didn't even look to see whon the hider was. 4 caches spread out over 200 miles of driving.

I'm going to catch some heat for my opinion here. :)

Lame or abbreviated logs are only appropriate for caches that are so crappy that you can't think of anything nice to say.

(Personal Opinion)

The cancerous spread of short logs is a direct result of the "new numbers game."

1. Cachers are too busy trying to log all 50 to 100 finds for the day, rather than taking the time to write nice logs.
  2. These cachers have more finds than they have good experiences, and their attention span is too short to remember details of their hunt.
  3. This same type of cacher is really good at "copying and pasting" their lame "found it" log.

I know of some cachers that actually create ALR caches so they can require cachers to write a creative logs. Several cachers here on the forum got roasted when they expressed a desire to delete "copy and paste" logs on really nice caches.

I pride myself on always creating unique logs for each cache find, even when I've found over 20 caches. I actually took some pride in one log written by Dgreno. He and Team Alamo found in excess of 100 caches in our area, and everyone of their logs were "copy and paste" jobs except for one, where he added one line to my cache. He actually took the time to write, "nice camo job!"

Edited by Kit Fox

I recieved the following log on one of my caches recently.

WOW!! I loved this cache. What a really neat hide and good technique. I can tell you have put a lot of thought into this hide. We are on vacation from xxxxxxx. This is defenitly our favorite cache we found on the trip

I was thrilled to see it. My heart was filled with pride.

Then I got it again on another hide.

and again

and again.

Cut and paste...... they didn't even look to see whon the hider was. 4 caches spread out over 200 miles of driving.

Ouch!!! That hurts... :)

So clearly then, I'm not spending enough time caching so I don't have so many logs to write. At this point in my semi-newb caching experience it just seems basic ah, good manners to write something besides TNLNSLTFTCGYAPIDKE. I mean really now. Good caches in interesting spots or caches that are humorous or just not a LPC (sorry) deserve a decent log. I've read the cut and paste and it's just tacky.

edited for realllly bad English. Jeez, I gotta re-read my logs and see if they make more sense. :)

Edited by Bamboogirl

To me I think part of the reason people use cut n paste is because higher cache density allows them to find a lot more caches quickly. Personally I've kind of noticed that if I do 1-3 caches the logs are usally a bit longer (though still probably not one hundred words) than if I do say 20 on the way to/from an weekend event. I may put something about the drive / overall summary of what I did that weekend in the first cache log. The last one will probably have anything interesting that happened on the way home, or if that was the last cache of the 'day' how camping was / anything interesting that happened there. Those caches "in the middle" only get whatever happened since the previous find, and of course anything outstanding about the cache. Of course if I'm doing 18 logs a few days later remembering which was the better of the two/three/four hides all right off the same trail can be difficult since they may have blurred together some :P

As for short TNLN logs, I think I prefer that to long logs that are cut and pasted a dozen times. "me and X, Y, Z jumped in the car and come over to Anytown to do some caching and this was one of the most interesting of the trip, very good camo. We found XX total that day. Can't remember what I took but think I left a whichmacall it"

Sounds ok, but when it gets pasted to every cache that did that day it kinda loses meaning :) . Especially when the log fit the first cache (??) but it was of a certain size/type and the log says something specific about that which then carries over to all the other caches.

I went back and looked at my log from last Saturday.

Yeah, I could have done better.

Personally I've kind of noticed that if I do 1-3 caches the logs are usually a bit longer <snip>

You want to know what's really embarrassing? It was one of Welch's caches.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Personally I've kind of noticed that if I do 1-3 caches the logs are usually a bit longer <snip>

On the upside private emails about the cache always even it out, and are even better than posted logs :):P

:) I try to at least address the status of the cache. And at times, I even tell some quick story. So what is the general consensus on the length of a log. My average log is 49 words, with a longest log of 654 words, and a shortest of 4. I've been guilty of cutting and pasting the same log for multiple caches, especially now that, like most cachers, I tend to find 20+ caches in a day. They tend to blur. Special caches (non micros ususally) tend to get additional, or special comments.

On the upside private emails about the cache always even it out, and are even better than posted logs :):P

(Invokes the Fifth Amendment)

Edited by BlueDeuce

“““”““The lost art of logging, Laziness or "monkey see, monkey do"?”””””

None of the above, sorry but I do not have command of the English language, my spelling and grammar are really bad, am a cut and paste kinda of guy but to the best of my knowledge have never logged one TNLNSL

If you want some really cool logs a make it an additional requirement, and will I skip it, but if they had their phone number listed would give them a call and tell them all about da cache, good or bad

Joe

I know that this is one of those things where "it's just me." I certainly don't mean for this to be a slam against anyone at all, but personally, I can't do copy and paste logs. It just feels cheap.

I get a lot of emails about my logs. Some from owners who appreciate the detail I put into them and others from cachers who enjoy reading them.

Honestly, for me, a BIG part of the enjoyment of caching is in logging my finds.

I wrote this article a few months ago. It's really just a few basics that I try to remember when I'm logging.

And other than that, I just get a lot of pleasure in telling a good story. This one was fun to write. :)

"TNLNSL - TFTC" isn't an acceptable log on a cache that's on many people's favorites list.

Of all the categories to make the Top 10 in at "itsnotaboutthenumbers.com", I take pride in the fact that this is the one I landed in. :)

fd80ee0f-ea26-46ed-894d-995a4162bd7f.jpg

~~ Western Mass Clan B)

P.S. The only reason I'm not #1 is because "Team Kleijn" pads their logs with a bunch of cut-n-paste links and computer-generated data. :) I do mine the honest way - I tell the story of my find!!! :) Sometimes my logs bump up against the 4000 character limit and require an additional posted note to continue it!

P.P.S. As my contribution to the effort of increasing log quality, I challenge anybody to unseat me from the #2 spot. :P

:P

Edit: Added the P.S. : Later added the P.P.S.

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

Lame or abbreviated logs are only appropriate for caches that are so crappy that you can't think of anything nice to say.

I definitely don't think you're in the minority here. I'd have to agree with this - too. "I've never seen Walmart from this angle before, I'd like to thank you for such a wonderful view of the lawn and garden section. I'm trying to figure what possessed you to place this here?"

I think it's more the problem of quantity over quality. With placements and with cachers. When there were 5 caches in the area the logs were close to an entire page, now there is 500 caches and they're pretty much either TNLNSL or a copy and paste of the "We found 60 of them today this is one of them..."

I'm going to have to remember though to put a little more effort into the good cache logs again. Since getting back into the game I have succumbed to the "tnlnsl" types of logs.

I definitely don't think you're in the minority here.

The problem is that it's hard to think of something interesting to say to people that would have experienced same thing by out for school supplies.

But that doesn't mean there isn't anything to tell.

For example I think caching with others tend to have more chances of having stories to share. Why worry about describing the cache, isn't the caching itself more interesting?

I've been guilty of cutting and pasting the same log for multiple caches, especially now that, like most cachers, I tend to find 20+ caches in a day. They tend to blur.

I carry a note pad and jot down something about each cache, no matter how mundane. Also, I'm not in a rush to get them all logged. I found 50 caches in one day a few months ago and it took me a long week to get them all logged.

but if they had their phone number listed would give them a call and tell them all about da cache, good or bad.

Joe

That's great Joe, but this is an online medium.

The problem is that it's hard to think of something interesting to say to people that would have experienced same thing by out for school supplies.

Heh - didn't think of it that way, but that describes it fairly well.

ah, ah. Don't quote me out of context.

This is not about caches worth finding. This is about posting something worth reading.

Don't blame the game, blame the player.

edit: Where the heck did that pronoun come from?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Heh - didn't think of it that way, but that describes it fairly well.

ah, ah. Don't quote me out of context.

:)

I'm going to have to find something interesting to say at all my finds from now on. I'll just have to be more selective on the caches that I am going for so it'll be easier for me to come up with something.

The cancerous spread of short logs is a direct result of the "new numbers game."

Exactly. I've noticed a correlation between number of finds during a trip and the log creativity. Not only that, with speed cachers the swag gets gobbled up, the travelers lost, and the cache is put back carelessly. Because of that I've stopped placing easy caches and instead go for the ones that require some physical or mental effort. Fewer logs now but they tend to be better ones--not always well written but the people try which is what matters.

My own logs tend to reflect the effort put in by the cache owner; when they take pride in their cache so do I. Nor am I shy about writing negatives if that's what I experienced. I take a lot of photos and will sometimes let them do the talking. People seem to like photos and I'm surprised there are not more of them on the logs.

Boy, I could have started this thread myself. I couldn't agree more about the "lost art of logging." I don't mind a simple TNLNSL once in a while, but it grows tedius when someone (or everyone in the group) posts the exact same thing. 50 finds times 4 people in the group, and your mailbox is stuffed with drivel.

I have been accused of having an "over-inflated ego that must be stroked with a 500 word essay" after complaining about the terse logs. It has nothing to do with ego. The caches in particular I was complaining about were extremely convoluted puzzle caches, and another of ours which I created a 3D stereogram in which the coords quite literally "jump" out at you. I especially like to read the logs on these caches, not for egotistical reasons, but, rather, to determine what the finder thought of the puzzles. Were they easy, hard? Did you like them? Did you hate them? I've heard from plenty of folks, that they hate the 3D stereograms, and get dizzy trying to see them. These logs provide feedback on whether or not we should create more of the same. As far as I am concerned, if you like them and let me know, you just may get more. If you didn't and let me know, we'll consider scrapping the idea in the future. And, BTW, who says all logs have to be positive? "This place is literally a DUMP! I didn't enjoy the area."

I have found 40+ caches in one day too, and I might cut and paste the first sentence of the log. "Found with so-and-so on a trip through yourtown today." Then go on from there to say something about each individual cache. We are "paperless," and use Cachemate in our PDA's. We always write notes to ourself about details of the cache hide, and anything we might want to pass on to the cache owner. "The log was full so we added a generic." "Coords were excellent." "Neat container." etc. When logging, those notes in the Cachemate log serve to jog our memory about the particular cache. It's also a great place to document to ourselves if we took or left any geocoins or travel bugs.

Most cache owners hide caches for the pleasure of everyone to find. I think most cache owners want or expect nothing in return except hearing about your experiences in finding the cache. In my opinion, cutting and pasting 57 "TNLNSL" logs is like saying, "I appreciate the fact that you took the time to hide and maintain caches for ME to find, but MY time is far too valuable to waste writing verbose logs to let you know."

Edited by Atrus

9Key speaks very well for so many of us who have hidden a few interesting caches and who also take great pride in maintaining those caches we place! All of his points should be well heeded. He is absolutely right in his statements.

Why is it that so many have become so lazy? And no, I don't buy the augument that, "I don't have time" or "I found so many that I can't remember one from another" or "I'm on a 'numbers' run and I just can't be bothered" or " I'm just not a creative writer." Boulderdash, to all of that! Another lame excuse used by many is that they found so many in a day that they can't remember which is which. Well, that's no excuse, either. If a cacher found so many on a given day that he can't remember each one, then how can he remember to log them all? If you are still printing out the cache pages on your printer, then you have that piece of paper to write a note about that particular cache. If you are "paperless" then you have your PDA to jot down something about the cache to jog your mind when you go to the website to post your find!

What many cachers don't seem to realize, is that cache hiders take definite cues from the logs posted to their caches. Once a cache has been placed, how else is the owner to know how that cache is received? Is it being enjoyed? Do you like the type, style, or location of the cache? Is it too easy or too hard? Are the ratings appropriate? Is the log getting full? Does it need its "goodies" replenished? These and more, are all questions whcih provide the cache owner with information needed to determine if she should keep this cache active or even if she should place others like it. The TFTCTNSL, blah, blah blah nonsense imparts no useful informaton and are, in fact, rather insulting to the cache owner who has often put considerable time, effort, and in many cases, expense into placing these caches out for other's enjoyment.

I don't think any cache owner is expecting a finder to write a 500 word essay on each cache they find, but just to be courteous enough to give the owner an honest opinion of his or her caching experience. No, you don't have to be a Shakespere, or a Milton, or a Mark Twain to write a brief accounting of your experience. Just consider what kind of posts YOU would like to read by finders of YOUR caches.

Edited by Dear Dora

Remember some people are new at this and didnt know how to do this the best way. For us it wasnt/isnt a numbers game. We really thought that people want it short, sweet and to the point. You cant put much on the log in a micro. I guess the best thing is to put a short note in the log at the site of the cache, then put the details into the online log.

Many of the caches we have done are small or micro. Some that are listed as small only have log book (I am talking altoid tin, mint tin, waterproof matchbox, film canister, etc). We even checked the logs and it was all TNLNSL, T-___ L-___ SL, etc. That was all we saw in those sorts. Some of the regulars had longer logs.

As for the online logs, we have seen a mixture. There are some talented people that are great with the details as well as the stories. Some have had the basic this is #_ of _ finds for the day. Some were telling the owner of needed repairs.

I have personally emailed a cache owner to ask questions, thank them for the great cache, get ideas, etc. I would rather have meaning behind my log than just some garbage to fill space. Sometimes there is nothing noteworthy to log.

This has made me rethink my procedures. I will be taking notes with each hunt. I will be trying to do a better job with the logs. I will try to let the cache owner know that I do appreciate what they have done.

Thanks.

I have to admit I'm guilty of mostly short logs, and sometimes even cut/paste logs. I sure didn't dream up "TNLNSL", but it seems to be the norm, so I've gone with it - often. I considered it doing my part to not clog up bandwidth with otherwise uninformative drivel. Sometimes I enjoy reading a good long log. But a long log is not always a good log, and those often contain more information than they ought to - something I'm always mindful of when I'm logging. "I walked down the path, and I found the cache in the crotch of a tree". Oh, wait, can't say that, it's a spoiler. Sometimes there just isn't that much to say - if it's a lovely day, and a beautiful location, I say so - but what if you hit 10 or so in a day and they are ALL in beautiful locations, and it's a lovely day? How many ways can you say that without repeating yourself?

I wrote an entire short paragraph tonight about one of today's finds, because I had a special/funny/damned embarassing memory about that specific location. It was a short paragraph - but I still felt I was being too wordy. Some 'short loggers' like myself believe they're doing the geocaching community a big favor by being brief. Especially those who are major talkers/writers (also like myself).

I do admit I've never looked at my logs through the eyes of the hider of the cache, and I will try to do amend that in the future. But sometimes it's difficult to put any degree of detail into a log without also giving away too much information in the process.

Edited by TypoWiz

A little while back, I learned about yrium's cache logs, many of which were lengthy like this Log that had to be followed by a Note because the story went on for so long. :)

Now, not everyone is that creative, nor does everyone have that much time for writing their logs, but that does give all of us something to aspire to. :blink:

As a cache owner, I really appreciate the rare, longer log that tells me about the day, the hike, the weather, and whatever else happened during the visit to my cache.

We've try to write interesting log entries on good caches. Sometimes it is hard to think of anything to write on lame caches. Not all of our interesting logs have been long. We view it as a reward for the hider. And if it is a kid who hid the cache, we go out of our way to make sure the log is interesting.

Some examples (not as funny as other cachers perhaps, but nice for the hider).

Snizzard (a cache with a Dr Seuss theme)

ARIZONA IMPOSTER

You Don't Know Beans

Is it a Bird or a Plane ?

Fly with me to the Park (DNF, member only cache)

Fly with me to the Park (found it log, members only)

We are certainly not going to win the race of the fastest to find x number of caches. Not long after starting we went to an event.

There I found a list of geocoins and travel bugs, I did my best to see each one and to touch and experience to 'earn' my icon. Then when I went to log them about 5 days later I noticed those who were logging them (not all did) were cutting and pasting 'Discovered at event y thanks for sharing' So I to did it, then on about the 3rd or 4th I noticed a local had actualy writen something original for his log. So I checked his other logs, all different, not long but different. So I did my best to do the same.

I now have 1 cache out for myself and 1 each for my two boys and did my best to make the cache page interesting, how many are not much more of a list of what the cache contained when placed. I look forward to the logs.

My only hope is that the owner of the caches appreciate the effort I put into my logs, but then again I am never going to be a 20 per day finder, and yes I find notes on my paper logs helpful when finding lots (6 to 8) on one day. I also make notes on my dnf paper logs so I don't forget to log them as well when I get home.

Which reminds me I have a dnf I still have to log before I go to bed...

Goodnight (21:54 local time)

9Key speaks very well for so many of us who have hidden a few interesting caches and who also take great pride in maintaining those caches we place! All of his points should be well heeded. He is absolutely right in his statements.

Why is it that so many have become so lazy? And no, I don't buy the augument that, "I don't have time" or "I found so many that I can't remember one from another" or "I'm on a 'numbers' run and I just can't be bothered" or " I'm just not a creative writer." Boulderdash, to all of that! Another lame excuse used by many is that they found so many in a day that they can't remember which is which. Well, that's no excuse, either. If a cacher found so many on a given day that he can't remember each one, then how can he remember to log them all? If you are still printing out the cache pages on your printer, then you have that piece of paper to write a note about that particular cache. If you are "paperless" then you have your PDA to jot down something about the cache to jog your mind when you go to the website to post your find!

What many cachers don't seem to realize, is that cache hiders take definite cues from the logs posted to their caches. Once a cache has been placed, how else is the owner to know how that cache is received? Is it being enjoyed? Do you like the type, style, or location of the cache? Is it too easy or too hard? Are the ratings appropriate? Is the log getting full? Does it need its "goodies" replenished? These and more, are all questions whcih provide the cache owner with information needed to determine if she should keep this cache active or even if she should place others like it. The TFTCTNSL, blah, blah blah nonsense imparts no useful informaton and are, in fact, rather insulting to the cache owner who has often put considerable time, effort, and in many cases, expense into placing these caches out for other's enjoyment.

I don't think any cache owner is expecting a finder to write a 500 word essay on each cache they find, but just to be courteous enough to give the owner an honest opinion of his or her caching experience. No, you don't have to be a Shakespere, or a Milton, or a Mark Twain to write a brief accounting of your experience. Just consider what kind of posts YOU would like to read by finders of YOUR caches.

I totall agree with this post. Well said! Most cachers don't care if your spelling and grammar are poor, we just want some feedback about the cache.