Geocaching Jedi

I would have to say I'm among the group who are like Mr. Bean who is more likely to find a cache by tripping over it (why I rarely find micros), taking a break and sitting on it (why I hate micros when I do find them), or by taking a nature break and peeing on it (why I hate cache containers that are not waterproof).

:)

I would have to say I'm among the group who are like Mr. Bean who is more likely to find a cache by tripping over it (why I rarely find micros), taking a break and sitting on it (why I hate micros when I do find them), or by taking a nature break and peeing on it (why I hate cache containers that are not waterproof).

:)

I think I'd like caching with you. We would give up on the cache and get distracted by fishing. Then find the cache using the keystone method. (Toss the empty beer can over your shoulder and where it lands is where the cache is...).

Oh great, yet another new "religion" thread. It's just a matter of time before the geocaching Sith Lords jump all over the geocaching Jedi. Or Han Solo comes on and once again rants that "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

Or someone tries to explain it all away with midichlorian pseudoscience.

Oh great, yet another new "religion" thread. It's just a matter of time before the geocaching Sith Lords jump all over the geocaching Jedi. Or Han Solo comes on and once again rants that "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

Aw, I thought that said "Hockey religions" and I got really excited for a second.

The only mystical forces that seem to be in effect when we are searching is the one where after a frustrating hour, you say "Okay, I give up" loudly enough for the cache to hear you and then it magically turns off its cloak of invisibility (if it is feeling magnanimous).

(You can try to trick the cache by saying it after just 5 minutes, but that tactic rarely works. The cache knows you're bluffing.)

The only mystical forces that seem to be in effect when we are searching is the one where after a frustrating hour, you say "Okay, I give up" loudly enough for the cache to hear you and then it magically turns off its cloak of invisibility (if it is feeling magnanimous).

(You can try to trick the cache by saying it after just 5 minutes, but that tactic rarely works. The cache knows you're bluffing.)

I can relate to that. Except that it's after three trips out and an email to the owner. Then the cache magically appears where we LOOKED already, dagnabit!

But some days the Force works.

Yesterday, because a maintenance hike was canceled due to an excessive number of guns in the area, I decided to check out a new, 300-acre nature park I'd never visited. I knew that there were caches in the park, but I didn't have any of the information with me. Not ten minutes into my hike, I noticed an interesting tree about 100 feet off the trail. "That looks like a place someone would hide a cache," thought I. I walked over to it, and there, right at the base, I saw the familiar bluish camo tape under a piece of bark. 300 wooded acres, no coordinates, and I walked right to it.