1st time buyer: Delorme Earthmate Pn20 vs. Garmin 60csx vs. others...

itsky

It's time for me to buy GPS, been considering it for months...

I'm really having a tough time deciding which unit and software, I want it to be useful for road trips offering turn by turn directions, capable of running topo maps and be combatable with a good software like National Geographic. I will be using it for road trips, 4x4ing, camping and maybe hiking. What I really want to do is upload 4x4 trails that friends have completed and be able to follow their tracks. I then want to upload my tracks to a nice topo map.

The Garmin 60csx seems the most popular and gets good reviews, it's on sale right now for $350 -$50 rebate. But I'd have to buy Streets $100 and Topo $60 Bringing the total the $460 AND it's recommended that I buy another topo software for planning on my laptop since Garmins software isn't that good (NG topo $100)......a total of $560. This unit seems tried and true. I'm not usally the type of guy who needs the latest and greatest, but is the technology becoming outdated?

I really like the idea of the Delorme Earthmate unit, it comes with topo and street software and the maps seem to be really good. But reviews have been mixed, I've heard it's slow and not good for using on streets because the auto-route function is not good. On the other hand some have said it’s great.

The new Magellan Triton that comes out in November and it looks sweet but, I need one sooner than that.

So guys what do you think?

I'm really having a tough time deciding which unit and software, I want it to be useful for road trips offering turn by turn directions, capable of running topo maps and be combatable with a good software like National Geographic. I will be using it for road trips, 4x4ing, camping and maybe hiking. What I really want to do is upload 4x4 trails that friends have completed and be able to follow their tracks. I then want to upload my tracks to a nice topo map.

The Garmin 60csx seems the most popular and gets good reviews, it's on sale right now for $350 -$50 rebate. But I'd have to buy Streets $100 and Topo $60 Bringing the total the $460 AND it's recommended that I buy another topo software for planning on my laptop since Garmins software isn't that good (NG topo $100)......a total of $560. This unit seems tried and true. I'm not usally the type of guy who needs the latest and greatest, but is the technology becoming outdated?

I really like the idea of the Delorme Earthmate unit, it comes with topo and street software and the maps seem to be really good. But reviews have been mixed, I've heard it's slow and not good for using on streets because the auto-route function is not good. On the other hand some have said it’s great.

The new Magellan Triton that comes out in November and it looks sweet but, I need one sooner than that.

My advice is to buy a Garmin. I use the 76CSx. it will do everything you want to do and more. There is lots of sowtware available and you can import geocaches directly from geocaching.com. Yes you will need National Geographic. I have it and also TOPO2008 and I am about to buy city NT v8

I also own 2 magellans and I prefer garmin. last thing, as with all things, you get what you pay for. Go with the Garmin.

Edited by jdwest32

Welcome to the Forums! :)

I just got the Vista HCx and really like it. It holds 1000 waypoints like the 60CSx. The small size is more convenient for hiking and I prefer the "click stick" for navigating the menus. I have City Navigator and Topo, but City Navigator is all you need if you just want the auto-navigation feature. You can purchase the Topo maps on eBay since they don't have an Unlock Code. You might save quite a bit on those if you don't want the latest version of Topo.

You appear to have to compromise on one of your criteria...

The Delorme will do you good on everything but the road use...I think you'll feel frustrated with that part. The maps make it great for offroad use, and I like that you can add tracks to the maps as routable trails or roads.

The Garmin offerings are smooth for general use, including autorouting, but their topo maps are a notch below the Delorme/NG Topo quality.

The Triton holds the promise of the best package, but it's not available now (plus no one has actually used one so who knows how well it will live up to the promise?) Also, depending on the coverage you want, the NG Topo maps could add up ($99 per state, I think).

Since GPS is so darn useful on the road, if you are only going to have one I would steer you toward the Garmins (the Quest is a little long in tooth and would require an external antenna in the woods, but it includes the road maps and can handle the topo, too). If you could bridge yourself--maybe by buying a used unit to sell later--the Triton would be worth considering once we get some user reports.

If you don't have to have super great topo maps loaded on the GPS, the uploading your tracks to Delorme Topo or NG Topo on the PC is not a bad combination.

I'm surprised the delorme doesn't get better rec's.

I think of it very highly as my hiking gps. But since you specify the highway will be a major use, you'll be happier with something else. If the road use was only a minor consideration, it would merit closer consideration.

If you have one near you, check out the Bargain Cove at Cabelas. You may have to go there several times to find the one you want but people occasionally do bring them back for whatever reason.

I got mine for $389 in January. I am pretty sure it was a return from a Christmas Present. Last time I was at Cabelas there were 4 various units discounted.

The PN-20 does OK with road routing, it needs just a little bit more power to handle the auto-routing faster. I went to the beach using just the PN-20 and had no problems (Pa to Ocean City).

The PN-20 does everything else great, hiking, geocaching, 4x4ing, mountain biking, kayaking and whatever else you do outdoors.

Being able to use Topo USA and just about all of it's features (mainly draw layers roads etc.) on the PN-20 is out of this world (there is soooo much that can be done with it)!

IMHO, you don't need the NG topo software for a Garmin 60 CSx, although you might want to use the NG software to print backup paper topos in case your GPSr fails.

I've used the Garmin topo sets (US Topo 2008, National Park Topo) for trail navigation for about four months now (in California, Georgia, Illinois, and Wisconsin), and I haven't had any problems. I've seen some criticism that the Garmin topos don't show trails, but that hasn't been an issue for me. I get most of my trails online as GPX files, or I create them myself in Google Earth using trail map overlays. Either way, the trail downloads directly to the GPSr. I haven't yet come across a significant missing topographical feature or inaccuracy while using the Garmin topos on the trail.

Sorry to be late to the game. Disclosure: I'm with National Geographic Maps. Just want you to be aware that with the Garmin or any major GPS line, you can transfer waypoints, tracks and routes between our TOPO! software and the handheld, but you cannot transfer the maps and view them on the GPS screen. Current units from Garmin and most manufacturers cannot display raster (bitmap) images such as our scans of actual USGS maps. This is why their map software does not offer the rich detail available on a real topo map. The DeLorme unit can display their versions of USGS maps which you pay for and receive by download from their site, although the unit comes with enough credit to download a couple of quads including sat imagery. The forthcoming Triton line from Magellan will be the first that can display our enhanced USGS TOPO! maps.

Eric Riback

Hi Itsky;

As a general suggestion I would recommend a vehicle mounted large screen GPS if you are doing a lot of highway driving. They are much easier to read and probably safer to use than the cradle mounted handhelds.

Your intended useage however seem to be ....

What I really want to do is upload 4x4 trails that friends have completed and be able to follow their tracks. I then want to upload my tracks to a nice topo map.

So my question would be, what GPS's are your friends using? To transfer tracks, waypoints and routes requires some degree of compatability. With the newer Garmin and Lowrance (I'm not familiar with Delorme so can't comment) units you can simply save your data to memory cards and swap the cards with your buddies. To transfer data any other way requires additional software.

So find out what your buddies are using, go with the same brand and pick a model that suits your preferences and budget.

The forthcoming Triton line from Magellan will be the first that can display our enhanced USGS TOPO! maps.

Eric, we're appreciative of any information you're able to shed on this combination. One thing I have been wondering is whether this is a new NG program (or a new version) or is it the currently sold NG Topo! as is?

:o I have to agree with a lot of these coments. I have found all hand held GPS units are lacking when using them on the road unless you have a co-pilot that can read the GPS. I use my laptop when driving and Delome TOPO USA, as far as the Delome GPS being slow it is at times when you are in route using roads, when Geocacheing I set up a route using roads to get me close then change to direct route when exiting the car.The GPS is much faster in this mode of operation. The TOPO USA maps are better than anybody elses I have used and a lot of the trails are already included with the map software

You appear to have to compromise on one of your criteria...

The Delorme will do you good on everything but the road use...I think you'll feel frustrated with that part. The maps make it great for offroad use, and I like that you can add tracks to the maps as routable trails or roads.

The Garmin offerings are smooth for general use, including autorouting, but their topo maps are a notch below the Delorme/NG Topo quality.

The Triton holds the promise of the best package, but it's not available now (plus no one has actually used one so who knows how well it will live up to the promise?) Also, depending on the coverage you want, the NG Topo maps could add up ($99 per state, I think).

Since GPS is so darn useful on the road, if you are only going to have one I would steer you toward the Garmins (the Quest is a little long in tooth and would require an external antenna in the woods, but it includes the road maps and can handle the topo, too). If you could bridge yourself--maybe by buying a used unit to sell later--the Triton would be worth considering once we get some user reports.

If you don't have to have super great topo maps loaded on the GPS, the uploading your tracks to Delorme Topo or NG Topo on the PC is not a bad combination.