Why I don't bushwhack in August

imajeep

Aragog?

Shelob

"She served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness."

Edited by Jhwk

When I saw the title of this topic...I knew what it was going to be about. Not specifically the TX web (that's gross!) but spiderwebs. I HATE those things. And I walked into countless webs last weekend when placing a cache. I used a web-knocker but even with that, I still caught the edges sometimes. I don't mind the webs as much as thinking that the spider is ON me. *shudder* That totally creeps me out.

Aragog?

Shelob

"She served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness."

Very beautiful poetry and imagery; thank you very much! :)

Thanks, but we should really thank J.R.R.T.

"There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-from, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Lúthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-Dûr"

"Great horns she had, and behind her short stalk-like neck was her huge swollen body, a vast bloated bag, swaying and sagging between her legs; its great bulk was black, blotched with livid marks, but the belly underneath was pale and luminous and gave forth a stench. Her legs were bent, with great knobbed joints high above her back, and hairs that stuck out like steel spines, and at each leg's end there was a claw.

As soon as she had squeezed her soft squelching body and its folded limbs out of the upper exit from her lair, she moved with a horrible speed, now running her creaking legs, now making a sudden bound"

Fall webworms have been all over Dallas for the last couple months, wrapping branches in a similar web so that they can chow down on the leaves unmolested by birds or other predators. I've seen huge sections of wooded areas virtually covered in such webbing.

Spiders, especially the monstrous Black and Yellow Garden Spiders (aka zipper or writer spiders) have been quite plentiful this year.

While I'm sure there are lots of spiders in the area of Lake Tewakoni, I'm surprised to hear that this web was caused by cooperating spiders rather than webworm.