Zazth Maze Coin

zazth

Not too long ago Mike came up with an idea for a coin and put it down on paper. We are now waiting for the quote from the mint. Mike is just dying to get some feedback from some one other than me so here's your shot.

See below

4c6a1fef-2e3a-41ab-af88-eb0ce8d7a894.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

here's how I posted my sketches: first make sure your drawings are saved as jpeg with a size of about 640x480. then upload the image to one of your cache hides (I did mine to my archived cache that I "store" all my activated personal coins in). On that cache page you should see a link to the image. right click that link and copy the address. then, on your forum topic page, when you are posting a note, click on the little picture icon to insert a picture. in the box asking for the location, Ctrl V (paste) . the location that you copied from your cache site should now be linked. Preview the post. if the pic shows up, then it worked and you can push the add reply button. If it doesn't work, email me the picture and I'll see if I can upload it for you.

g'luck

okay, so instead of an ammo can, how 'bout an outhouse "can" and instead of a ball... you could roll around a little brown "log" :)

hmmm kinda sounds like a cache dropping or a log...

seriously though... we Really like this.

what about using some hard enamels flush level with the floor to add some "obstacles" to roll over... like icons for different cache types, muggles, ftf, dnf...

I really like the idea, I really like the front side, and I really like the words on the back. But I find the writings in red quite hard to read. Maybe another color, or another font? I think the problem (for me) is that the letters are very close together. Of course you can read it, but I think it would be nicer if the writings would be an eyecatcher and not something you need to spend some time to find out what it is. But if you like it the way it is, it is YOUR coin :) One I want to add to my collection, anyway :)

Steinwälzer

I agree about the fonts/colors on the back, hard to read. And, while we're at it, please make the tracking numbers big and legible! I think the GC logo is fine, or maybe a GPS to lead you to the ammo can.

But, a really GREAT coin idea. My 5-year-old son LOVES those mazes! I'll definitely been in for a few. What great FTF prizes for puzzle caches!

A mazing coin idea! make it GID and I'll get one :) How's the ball stay on?

ditto on the text being hard to read.

I'm not keen on GC logo either - footprint carpark a GPS with one of those squiggly ant trail track logs... anything else, the dog ....

The coin will be a sealed unit. The maze side is closed in with a transparent cover. We like the footprint idea and may have to incorporate that into the design in place of the logo!

Also, the area for the tracking code is awfully small. My eyes hae a preference for tracking codes that are at least 3 mm tall and 5 mm is better still. Some of us like to release coins and I like the tracking code to be as legible as possible when I do so.

The ball and cover are a cool idea, but I also like the coin with just the maze on it.

We weren't really planning on this one being a personal coin as we have one of those being worked on by someone else. We have a couple of other ideas we are kicking around for coins too, all will have the Z worked into the design somewhere. Kind of like a trademark or a signature on all the coins we design.

what a shame. it looks to be so cool. would the cost come down significantly if you didn't put the clear top on? I'd think if anyone really just HAD to have a top, they could get a piece of plastic and glue it on themselves with a BB inside... I for one would prefer this approach to abandoning the project. I was already starting to save up for version 2 and 3... you know, the round and oval mazes :o

what a shame. it looks to be so cool. would the cost come down significantly if you didn't put the clear top on? I'd think if anyone really just HAD to have a top, they could get a piece of plastic and glue it on themselves with a BB inside... I for one would prefer this approach to abandoning the project. I was already starting to save up for version 2 and 3... you know, the round and oval mazes :(

I agree! How hard would it be to design the maze with a kind of "lip", so it can have an open top :( and the ball would not fall out? :o

It could be a byobb, will have to see. Two approaches were brought up for the coin, either it being round and placed in a screw type coin holder OR the square design which the top has little screws at the corners. We are waiting on a reply from the mint. Thanks for the ideas!

I believe the starting point of geocaching has to belong to Groundspeak. That is why I choose thier symbol to start the maze. However, I hadn't given too much thought about the start point on the coin, that is till Mandy helped me post the coin idea on the forum. I did like the ideas sent in feedback. It got me rethinking the start point emblem. So, I am changing the start point symbol to a compass type emblem to pay homage to the first gps. Or maybe a computer screen. you know where most us get the coords to cache. What do you think? B)

Mike

Zazth

just a update. We are going ahead with this coin. It will remain it's original shape. The mint is working on some die art now. once it arrives we post it and Hopefully the words will be easier to read on a copper background. Oh yeah, one of the metals we came up with is brushed copper. :huh: There will be two other metals, but those are still up in the air. One version, I know is going to be two tone "Trade Only" Edition. Thanks for looking at our idea.

I'm excited to hear you're going ahead with this coin! Any hints on what you're doing with the top? Will there be a little bb to move around the maze?

Really cool idea, can't wait to see it! Definitely put me on the "I want one" list!

soon as the mint comes back with the die art I'll post it. there will be a cover over the one side of the coin. yes it will be a working maze with a ball to run in it. :huh:

I like mazes.

I like geocaching.

I love geocoins.

Hmm.... you've got another customer over here! ;)

The design kinda reminds me of the 'drunken bee dance' that we all do at one time or another while trying to find a cache. If I bought more than one of these, could I claim that I have a "multi-cache maze coin"? :sad:

The mint is still working on this one. Some minor changes have been made (angle of the ammo box, starting point is now two feet) other than that the coin will be as Mike originally deisgned. The tricky part has been getting the cover on it. Still waiting. :sad:

Edited by zazth

Ordered samples and will post in a new thread when we get them. :ph34r:

Good luck getting a new thread.....one thread one coin is what they always say. most likely will put them both together. Just ask for the titles to be changed. That usually will do it.

Thanks for the heads up.