St Pete Beach/Indian Shores Area Caches

JASTA 11

We'll be in the area this October. It's been a few years since we've visited there. We're looking for some suggestions from you local folks for caches with a nice hike or paddle involved. No urban micros or magnets please. I've hunted around on the website and found a few interesting ones, but you can't always judge just by looking at the cache page. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Somewhat north in Pinellas is this hide (and I believe 2 others in the park) at the tip of Honeymoon Island State Park

Honeymoon Point

Amazing numbers of nesting birds, ospreys and owls on the island. You can drive over, then hike up the island.

South of Honeymoon Island is Caladesi. You can paddle over, or takea ferry. A couple of hides there as well.

Caladesi Island Extreme

On the east side of the Pinellas Pennisula is the North Trail series. A fun group in the mangrove tunnels. Canoe kayak only, and you need to pay attention to tide. Low tide, not enough water. Here's one of those - there are ten I believe. North Trail Challenge #4

In the same area, another paddle only hide by my favorite hider Weedon Wonderland . We haven't found this yet. Waiting for somewhat cooler weather. I think it's the only Postpile cache we haven't found. First rate hider. Not easy. More varied terrain in this than in the North Trail series above.

Pinellas County is heavily urbanized. There's not much hiking terrain. If you're willing to drive east to Hillsborough County, then I'd recommend parking on the south side of Morris Bridge Road at Morris Bridge

N28 05.887 W082 18.727 then walking north across the bridge and across the road near On the Post GCT184. Climbing that gate is legal hiking entry. Follow a string of hides out to GCT0M7 Where's Waldo?, then if time and wetness and your mood agrees - go on to the two bushwhacking caches (Where's Waldo is a 'whacking cache, but not likely to get you wet) beyond it - GC13ANG and really out there GC136HP

This is a spectacular semi-tropical forest. My personal favorite in the entire state. It was cut early, pre-Civil war, and much of it was never second cut. Handsome enormous oaks, intermixed with palms, magnolias, sweet bays, hickories. All festooned with bromeliads, ferns and orchids. It's been under state protection for a long time, and is as close as you're going to get to seeing original Florida.