76 CSX Battery clips

one of the springy bits on my 76 CSx battery clip has just broke off therefore batteries no longer make contact (as you look in the battery area it the top right contact) .. I can get it working (ish as in a knock / bang of the unit causes it to turn off) with a wad of silver foil stuffed in the area of the clip

Has any one else had this .. I know its a send back to Garmin (UK) for repair .. any experience on how long and cost (its out of warranty)

Thanks G

one of the springy bits on my 76 CSx battery clip has just broke off therefore batteries no longer make contact (as you look in the battery area it the top right contact) .. I can get it working (ish as in a knock / bang of the unit causes it to turn off) with a wad of silver foil stuffed in the area of the clip

Has any one else had this .. I know its a send back to Garmin (UK) for repair .. any experience on how long and cost (its out of warranty)

Thanks G

I had the exact same issue with an ancient yellow eTrex. The best I was able to do was to buy a AA battery holder at radio shack and cut one of the springs out with a pair of sidecuts. I tried soldering it in, but the solder joint was never strong enough to keep it in there through a battery swap, so I just wedged it in carefully every time I changed the batteries.

If you find a way to get those contacts replaced, let us know! It seems likely that that's how any GPS unit is most likely to die-- they're pretty bombproof otherwise, but those little flimsy contacts get bent and unbent over and over with use.

IndianaDan .. your right .. that 76 has been abused beyond belief in the field and keeps on ticking ,, I am so annoyed I get a simple battery connector failed :D

Good idea on the spring ...

Also I normally use NiMH batteries and its got alkalines in it at the mo ... they are ever so slightly shorter

Edited by S&G.Davison

I had the same problem with my 76Cx and Garmin fixed it right away for me. Give them a call.

I had the same problem with my 76C. While they have been very co-operative on other occasions (replaced my geko 301 free of charge) they weren't this time. I suppose it is down to luck...