Mag. Explorist 600 comments please

frex3wv

We started with a SportTrak Pro. It was everything we were looking for in a GPS when it came out. We added Topo and DiirectRoute. We could do basically everything we wanted...... But the sensitivity was lacking as compared to some other units. We purchased an eXplorist 600 when it first came out. We wanted the compass, otherwise we would have gotten the 500. I was able to use our DirectRoute software on it, but I needed to upgrade the Topo. So now we had the perfect unit for us. It was a little smaller, but we got used to it. The only problem I have with the unit is that the buttons are small. I wore out the membrane on the first one, which they replaced under warranty. I then wore out the next one, but this time it was out of warranty and I had to pay, I think, about $125 for a new unit from them. I've been very satisfied with the 600. The cables are flimsy though and I've gone through three sets of them as well. I guess that happens when you cache a lot, download a lot and charge via the car charger.

I don't have the 600 but I do have the 500, I've found it to be very accurate.

Like the Trail Buzzards I'm on my second membrane and third data cable, finding almost 2000 caches with it.

The times I've had to call Magellan for warranty work I've had no problems, and when the new Tritons come out I'll probably buy the 500 and let the wife use the exp since she wants one of her own. :)

My first 600 had problems getting a fix on any sats. I sent it in for repair and Magellan sent me a brand new unit. It's been a great GPS. The size is much smaller than my MerriPlat but the color screen makes it much easier to see. I like it. It seems to be very accurate and there is no lag like my Platinum has.

Thanks for the info all - if anyone else has some - I'd love to hear it. I started caching with my now non-functioning Mag 210 - but I love it - so size of buttons etc won't matter. If the 600 is as accurate as my 210 - I will be thrilled - as the 210 performs very well in the hills of WV!

I've got two of the 600's. I'm not too thrilled with either but I got them cheap on Fleabay and I have a connection in the business that can get me spare parts for them cheap.

I soldered my own external power connector to the one I use the most because of the flimsy and cumbersome cord. It is always showing ground zero about 20ft east of the actual spot. Sometimes it goes whacko on me and I have to power cycle it. It gives me trouble connecting to my PC sometimes and I have to shut it off,take out the battery and let it sit for about ten minutes then try it again. The menus are cumbersome and it takes awhile to get used to it. I hate the double clicking you have to do in order to get to do something if it sits idle for awhile. It is limited to 200 caches per file which ticks me off. I have to create multiple pocket queries to cover the areas I want to explore.

I do like the base map even though it is not up to date and most likely will never be updated.

Magellan used to be cool. I worked as an installer of their mobile products (Formerly Rockwell GPS.)when they bought Rockwell's design from Boeing. I was the only authorized So. Cal. installer for a few years. The product was a bit flaky back then but their engineers were very receptive to any suggestions for improvements and modifications that I had to offer. Then they fired all their US employees and farmed everything out to Canada and Asian manufactures. Thats when customer service went down the tubes and engineering cutoff all feedback from the public.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to pay full retail for their products but if you see one for sale dirt cheap snag it.

Happy Hunting!

If you like your 210, you will most likely enjoy a 600. It will have the same receiver and same user interface for the most part. The performance should be the same. You'll just have to deal with calibrating the electronic compass should you decide to use it. The other thing is the Lithium-ion battery pack in the 600. I don't mind it; I just connect my 400 to the PC and let it charge while I work on other stuff on the computer. I don't miss having to open the back to swap out batteries. Since getting my 400 about two years ago, I can count the number of times I have opened the back on my two hands. The biggest gain for you will be the color screen. The 400 is my main unit and the 210 is my spare; I think the color would make the DirectRoute maps much easier to read.

Got a 600 when it was first released, think I have SN#00000000003 :)

It has been a solid unit since day one. Unlike others I haven't had any problems, except I ( keying on the I part) stripped the threads to the data connector on the back, so now it won't stay screwed in. Noth a little rubber band couldn't fix. I love the unit, SD card, ability to load thousands of caches and almost the entire US set of detailed maps. I have never had a problem routing, finding the cache, getting good satellites, or having bad compass or altitude readings. If yu are getting it as a free replacement for a 210, you should have no issues.

Now, on the other hand, Magellan has updated the firmware for the 600 ONCE! That, and the utter lack of quality service after the sale, and incoherent tech support would lead me towards a new Garmin. But then, I would have to buy it. You don't, so stick with the 600. I think you'll like it.

You might load new firmware into your 600.

Check to see if you have 2.03. That version is a big improvement over the original version. The 2.03 is the version that magellangps.com lists as the most recent.

However there is an even newer version that works, version 2.57. Magellan strangely has only released it for the Europe eXplorist 500 model. The firmware works great in the US version of the 500 or the 600 too.

Get the firmware from:

http://www.magellangps.com/support/notes.asp?supportID=424

Read all about it at:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=158222