DVD or Preloaded MicroSD

I have a 76CSx and I run a Mac. I want to get City Navigator for all the traveling I do. Since I can't run the Mapsource on my Mac, I could only use the City Nav. DVD at work. My other option is to buy a preloaded MicroSD card. Has anybody used both, and if so, what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages of the full DVD vs. the MicroSD version. Both are about the same cost. It would not be a huge ordeal to load my GPS at work, but the convenience factor isn't there. But is there any less information on the preloaded cards?

Thanks in advance, Ben

I think I'd go with the CD version, even if you have to use your work PC. Not that much trouble, as you load the maps you want, and don't need to reload unless you're taking a trip. The CD will probably outlast the SD card too, especially if you change GPSrs, and the new one doesn't support the SD card. Also, it's a little harder to lose a CD.

I'm also weighing the advantages/disadvantages of the disk vs. card. Is the data and functionality exactly the same? I'm thinking that perhaps having the disk allows me to do some mapping on the computer too while the card would limit me to the GPS only. Is that true?

As far as being used on the GPS unit itself, all functionality is the same between the CD/DVD and mSDcard.

When you get the CD/DVD of the same maps, you will receive/install MapSource/Trip and Waypoint Manager which lets you view maps, create/upload/download waypoints, create routes etc. Read about Trip and Waypoint Manager here.

I believe the unlock policy for City Navigator has been changed to one GPS unit per unlock code (it used to be two per code) for both the CD/DVD & pre-programmed SD card versions. What makes me believe the following is true for the SD card version is the following from the Garmin website:

"Please note: These cards are programmed on demand. Please allow 1-3 business days for programming prior to shipment"

This makes me believe that the card is preprogrammed with your desired map purchase along with an unlock code, generated using your GPS's serial number when you purchase it. This will effectively tie the unlocked maps on the SD card to your particular GPS so it cannot be used in any other unit.

Although I cannot say for certain if this is indeed the current policy, it sure does seem to be the case according to what I've read and know about Garmin's unlock process/policy. Someone here may be more familiar with the actual policy regarding the SD card's usage limitations.

Hi,

I have got a question too.. :)

I have an etrex legend cx with a 1GB sd card. Should I buy the dvd, can I opload only Great Britain on the memory card and another map (i.e. Spain) at a later date, when I travel to that country? Can I also delete Spain after the holiday? means can I mix and match, so I don't use all the space on the memory card or shall I just get a bigger card, since I have got POI's on it too?

Thank you Sandra

I believe the unlock policy for City Navigator has been changed to one GPS unit per unlock code (it used to be two per code) for both the CD/DVD & pre-programmed SD card versions. What makes me believe the following is true for the SD card version is the following from the Garmin website:

"Please note: These cards are programmed on demand. Please allow 1-3 business days for programming prior to shipment"

This makes me believe that the card is preprogrammed with your desired map purchase along with an unlock code, generated using your GPS's serial number when you purchase it. This will effectively tie the unlocked maps on the SD card to your particular GPS so it cannot be used in any other unit.

Although I cannot say for certain if this is indeed the current policy, it sure does seem to be the case according to what I've read and know about Garmin's unlock process/policy. Someone here may be more familiar with the actual policy regarding the SD card's usage limitations.

I am also interested in this, because as I understand it city Navigator V8 was fully unlocked on the the pre-programed cards. I believe garmins website is slightly misleading, these pre-programed cards are sold at retail stores so people without computers can have access to maps. no you don't have to give REI or any other retail store your unit serial number before you buy, its definitely a retail package.

I emailed garmin about this, though I didn't specifically ask if I could use the card in more than one GPSr, they did give me a response about if the cards are locked. They said the cards are unlocked on the fly by the unit, so you will have no messing around to do with the unlock process.

Thanks SergZak. I thought the disk version would allow more flexibility. Besides, I know I would end up losing the little card!

You could always copy the data off the pre-loaded/retail card and onto a blank dvd or your hard drive as a backup. That way you could copy the data back onto a blank data card if the original was lost.

I emailed garmin about this, though I didn't specifically ask if I could use the card in more than one GPSr, they did give me a response about if the cards are locked. They said the cards are unlocked on the fly by the unit, so you will have no messing around to do with the unlock process.

I think the locking terms are getting confused. My understanding is that the cards are NOT locked to a individual GPS (ie you can use the one card in ANY GPS). However, as I also understand it, the cards are encrypted in that they use the S (Secure) part of SD (Secure Digital - the card format). You can find info about SD here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securedigital

The SD locking is the part that Garmin were probably referring to. From what I've read, you can't copy the data from one card to another.

I'm happy to be corrected on any of the above if anyone thinks I have it wrong.

Here are the facts:

The SD card has the whole country loaded on it. If you buy SD, you will never drive too far and run out of street level detail. The CD-ROM is not as compressed. I can load all of Alabama and bits of adjoining states, but that is all before the memory is full. I own the CD but if I had it to do over I would have purchased the SD card.

The SD locking is the part that Garmin were probably referring to. From what I've read, you can't copy the data from one card to another.

I'm happy to be corrected on any of the above if anyone thinks I have it wrong.

So perhaps my info in #15 is incorrect. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Here are the facts:

The SD card has the whole country loaded on it. If you buy SD, you will never drive too far and run out of street level detail. The CD-ROM is not as compressed. I can load all of Alabama and bits of adjoining states, but that is all before the memory is full. I own the CD but if I had it to do over I would have purchased the SD card.

Isn't that why there is the City Navigator NT version of the DVD/CD? I have that version and I download ed the whole US on a 1 gig sd card and I still have room leftover. I think the NT stands for "new technology" or something like that.

Edited by GeoScooter1

City Navigator on DVD:

Is locked, the unlock code is tied to the unit serial number of your gps, can only use on one gps unless you purchase additional unlock codes.

Advantage, can view and use maps on pc to create routes, waypoints, etc.

Advantage, can mix maps from different map products (for instance City Navigator & Topo 2008) on the same card.

City Navigator on microSD or SD card:

Is locked, the unlock code is tied to the serial number of the card. You can use the maps on multiple gps units by just inserting the original card into whatever gps you want to use it on. You can't make a backup so if you lose the card you are out of luck. The maps on the card can be read and transfered to another card but since the unlock is tied to the serial number of the original card the gps won't use unlock them.

Advantage, can use on multiple gps units (but obviously not at the same time). For maximum versatility get the microSD card and use an SD card adapter if your gps uses SD cards.

^^^^ Thanks for clarifying the dvd versus sd card unlock situation. But, it seems to me that maximum versatility would be obtained by purchasing the dvd and a blank sd card so custom maps and waypoints can be generated and placed on the card at will, no?

(I am saying this from the standpoint of only having to use the maps on a single GPSr).

^^^^ Thanks for clarifying the dvd versus sd card unlock situation. But, it seems to me that maximum versatility would be obtained by purchasing the dvd and a blank sd card so custom maps and waypoints can be generated and placed on the card at will, no?

(I am saying this from the standpoint of only having to use the maps on a single GPSr).

I like the ability to use my laptop combined with my GPS to give me voice auto routing and it is certainly much easier to see my laptop screen. I have only used this when traveling out of state but is sure was a big help finding an address in Santa Fe. If I had a pre-loaded sd card instead of the DVD, this wouldn't have been possible.

The maximum versitility statement was in the microSD/SD card section and means that if you decide to get the card instead of the DVD then you should get the microSD card even if your gps takes SD cards, then you can use the microSD card with an SD card adaptor to use in your gps, and if needed at some other time use the microSD card directly in a unit that takes microSD cards.

I have a 76CSx and I run a Mac. I want to get City Navigator for all the traveling I do. Since I can't run the Mapsource on my Mac, I could only use the City Nav. DVD at work. My other option is to buy a preloaded MicroSD card. Has anybody used both, and if so, what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages of the full DVD vs. the MicroSD version. Both are about the same cost. It would not be a huge ordeal to load my GPS at work, but the convenience factor isn't there. But is there any less information on the preloaded cards?

Thanks in advance, Ben

I am in a similar situation. I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx recently. I wanted to buy the City Navigator Maps for Europe. As you point out, the cost for the DVD vs the microSD card is similar. Here are the advantages/disadvantages as pointed out to me by Garmin: Advantage of microSD card is that you can use it on any GPSr without an unlocking code; Disadvantage of microSD card is that you can never upgrade the maps (you apparently are entitled to some upgrades if you have the DVD). The Disadvantage of the DVD for us is that it cannot be used on a Mac unless the Mac can run Windows.

I bought the microSD card for Europe, but I am considering buying maps for the US as well, and I am not sure which I will purchase. (I have Virtual PC running on my G5 Mac, but the Garmin software cannot "see" my HCx on the USB port.)

Cheers

The maximum versitility statement was in the microSD/SD card section and means that if you decide to get the card instead of the DVD then you should get the microSD card even if your gps takes SD cards, then you can use the microSD card with an SD card adaptor to use in your gps, and if needed at some other time use the microSD card directly in a unit that takes microSD cards.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Like the OP, I'm a Mac user, though I don't have access to a PC. I opted for CN on the chip. I debated getting XP and turning my Mac into a PC, but that seemed like too much hassle.

If I had access to a PC, I would have preferred getting the CD and a 2 GB microSD card for $30-40 simply for the data backup, but the buying CN on the chip worked fine for me and saved me the cost of the card.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Garmin will come out with a OS X version soon, but I'm happy with what I've got for the time being.

-murray

Hi,

I have got a question too.. :lol:

I have an etrex legend cx with a 1GB sd card. Should I buy the dvd, can I opload only Great Britain on the memory card and another map (i.e. Spain) at a later date, when I travel to that country? Can I also delete Spain after the holiday? means can I mix and match, so I don't use all the space on the memory card or shall I just get a bigger card, since I have got POI's on it too?

Thank you Sandra

Well I think it's the dvd then, but can I now delete a country after a holiday or must the whole dvd

be copied on the SD card?

Here are the facts:

That's because you're using the card that shipped with the unit. I've got a 2gig card, and have the entire country loaded on it, with plenty of room left over for custom POIs and track logs.

DVD and a larger memory card is the way to go.

Here are the facts:

That's because you're using the card that shipped with the unit. I've got a 2gig card, and have the entire country loaded on it, with plenty of room left over for custom POIs and track logs.

DVD and a larger memory card is the way to go.

I have a 1 gig card with the whole US on it. I downloaded from City Navigator NT and I still have some room left over.