Forest Service Markers

billonesty

I found a marker that says around it rim "U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Forest Service". Inside that circle of writing, it says "Penalty 250 Dollars for removal" It also has the digits "19" embossed by machine as the rest of the letters are, but the digits "30" apparently etched by hand with some tool, so that they form the year 1930. Then in the middle of the circle is the number "1035"

It is a bright yellowish metal glued to a concrete cylinder of the same diameter, and sunk into the ground amidst a rock outcropping. I found it as I was searching around for a geocache. I can find nothing in my first attempt to search for it.

Any ideas about what this thing is?

Edited by billonesty

Billonesty

This sounds like a cadastral survey mark which delineates the boundaries of Forest Service property. It was probably not intended for geodetic control and therefore not included in the NGS database (National Spatial Reference System).

You can log it, if you like, on Waymarking.com under the U.S. Benchmarks category.

I have found one of these as well, and this thread is practically the only google hit on these types of survey marks. This marker is numbered 191. It is also close to 4000 feet elevation. The year was not marked. It is on Jefferson National Forest, but not along the border of the forest. The forest boundary is about a mile to the north at the base of the mountain.

Here is a picture:

http://wythe.us/content/tiki-download_file...=43&preview

That is not my writing in pencil. It reads "LRE 4-22-04". I'm pretty sure it says "04" but it could possibly be "09". The number seems to match the other 4 though. Certainly seems these were being logged judging by the pencil mark.

Approximate location:

N 37.10867 W 80.97048

Oh, and there used to be a fire lookout tower at this location (which is why I was there). It was about 100 feet to the south of the mark. Directly under where the tower used to be is a USGS Reference Mark, but it does not point to the USDA marker.

Edited by oisact

Approximate location:

N 37.10867 W 80.97048

Oh, and there used to be a fire lookout tower at this location (which is why I was there). It was about 100 feet to the south of the mark. Directly under where the tower used to be is a USGS Reference Mark, but it does not point to the USDA marker.

There are a couple of triangles on the topo map at that location...