DPM !

briansnat

Uh oh... is it a dreaded case of cacher's heel?

Also known as plantar fasciitis?

Feels like a stone bruise;

really hurts when you first step on it?

Makes you want to scream when you

jump out of the car at the next cache?

Recovering... and I didn't run from the DPM!

It hurt too much to run, and hobbling

was making the other leg's knee hurt too...

:rolleyes:

The long sobs of the dead clams wound my heart with a monotonous languor as they dance at midnight.

According to Prime Suspect's "GeoLex" lexicon:

'Including the letters “DPM” in a cache log was a once-secret way to indicate the cache was of low quality. DPM is an abbreviation for “des palourdes mortes", which is French for “the dead clams”. The entire French phrase is “Les longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit", which translates to “The long sobs of the dead clams wound my heart with a monotonous languor as they dance at midnight”. The idea was to include this phrase in a cache log to clue in others that the cache was of low quality. Rarely actually used, as the meaning of DPM quickly spread throughout the geocaching community, and its secrecy was lost.'

What GeoLex doesn't explain is where that French phrase comes from. It's a humorous alteration of two lines of poetry that the Allies in WWII used as the coded signal to the French Resistance that the D-Day invasion was about to occur. The (original) lines are from a poem by the 19th century French poet Paul Verlaine. Verlaine, however, didn't say anything about clams :rolleyes: -- or dancing at midnight. It was originally "The long sobs of the violins of autumn."

What GeoLex doesn't explain is where that French phrase comes from. It's a humorous alteration of two lines of poetry that the Allies in WWII used as the coded signal to the French Resistance that the D-Day invasion was about to occur. The (original) lines are from a poem by the 19th century French poet Paul Verlaine. Verlaine, however, didn't say anything about clams tongue_animated.gif -- or dancing at midnight. It was originally "The long sobs of the violins of autumn."

Here is the actual history. It started in the Northeast forums back around 2003in this thread when I suggested that the code phrase for lame caches should be "The dead clam dances at midnight". Perfect Tommy countered with "The long sobs of the violins of autumn wound my heart with a monotonous languor".

I thought that was absolutely silly so I suggested "The long sobs of the dead clams wound my heart with a monotonous languor as they dance at midnight".

That went over well enough, but Perfect Tommy thought the original French would be better so suggested "es longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit".

That won the day until Stayfloopy decided it was too long and suggested shortening it to des palourdes mortes and the even shorter version, DPM. And so it was...for about 2 months, then once the secret got out the it lost its effectiveness as a code phrase.

Anyway, no way am I going to a doctor who admits to being a DPM.

:D

I feel your pain. I've been fighting the ailment since February. Insoles and stretching helps some.

BTW, if anyone ever logged 'DPM' on one of my caches, I'd delete their log. Criticism is fine. Excessive snarkiness is not.

:D

Nope, achillies tendinitis and heel bursitis in both heels. Most of the time it's a minor annoyance, but after I play a sport that requires running fast (I play soccer and softball), I can barely walk for 2 days afterward.

In truth I went there and he told me to take naproxin (double the dose), ice it, do stretching exercises and use heel lifts and if that doesn't help to come back again for a cortisone shot. Well for the past 3 months I've been taking a double dose of naproxin, icing it, doing stretching exercises and using heel lifts (hey I can do a google search on heel pain), so he went right to the needle (ouch!).

Hope it gets better because it's really cut down on my geocaching and hiking. I'm a basket case Sunday afternoons (when we usually hike and cache) because I played softball or soccer in the morning. All I can do is lay on the couch with each heel on a bag of ice.

:lol:

Nope, achillies tendinitis and heel bursitis in both heels. Most of the time it's a minor annoyance, but after I play a sport that requires running fast (I play soccer and softball), I can barely walk for 2 days afterward.

Bursitis sucks, wherever it is. :D As far as DPM, I'd have to say it's an archaic, out-dated term, what with 50% of the caches in some area's being lame. :D

Since so many caches are DPM now can I suggest an alternative?

_ le vivre palourde chanter éloge le boîte. _

We could use the acronym BLEC (chanter éloge le boîte BACKWARDS)

We would post this for an exceptional cache and BLEC would be searchable phrase in offsite and forum software as it is four letters.

I visited the doctor today because I've been having pain in my heel. He walks in and is wearing a coat that says Dr. LoBruno DPM. No way would I let a doctor who admits to being DPM (and is proud of it???) work on me. I jumped off the table and got the heck out of there fast.

dadgum, haven't heard DPM in a while! :D

:)

In truth I went there and he told me to take naproxin (double the dose), ice it, do stretching exercises and use heel lifts and if that doesn't help to come back again for a cortisone shot. Well for the past 3 months I've been taking a double dose of naproxin, icing it, doing stretching exercises and using heel lifts (hey I can do a google search on heel pain), so he went right to the needle (ouch!).

Hope it gets better because it's really cut down on my geocaching and hiking. I'm a basket case Sunday afternoons (when we usually hike and cache) because I played softball or soccer in the morning. All I can do is lay on the couch with each heel on a bag of ice.

I am currently recovering from plantar fasciitis. I tore it while chasing my 4yo up hill in Pittsburgh......

However, I had achillies tendinitises in both feet while I was in the Navy, got medically discharged in 1998 and in 2000/2002 had an ostiotomy done on them (left in 2000, right in 2002). I get around so much better now. If you have some off time to get it fix I recommend doing it, it was the best thing I did for my feet.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Erica

tdpr&c