Roadside Memorial crosses

In South Dakota - the state highway department erects a black and white sign that simply says "Why Die?" on one side and "Think" on the other to mark the locations along roadways where someone has died as a result of a motor vehicle.

It does make you think when you see a corner with 10 - 15 of those off to the side.

Somebody told us that further decoration of them is forbidden. I've seen at least 1 SD cache placed by one of these (also had a nice road pulloff near it)

think.gif

Somehow, I doubt that the people who put out these memorials had permission to put them there in the first place.

In the county I live in, the previous coroner put them out. I don't recall seeing as many anymore. Maybe the new one has a different philosophy.

As for the OP, I think the hiding of a cache at a road-side marker is crass. I certainly would not hunt it.

I don't like road side memorial caches because placing a cache along a road, unless the road is built to have pedestrian traffic, isn't very safe. Especially if the location is where an actually accident happened. This is a story from last year where two teens were killed at a road side memorial site while memorializing two teen who where killed at the exact same spot earlier that same day.

As long as a cache doesn't violate any guidelines I am not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't list a road side memorial cache. Neither will I tell them that they shouldn't find a road side memorial cache. However, I will say that if you don't think these kind of caches shouldn't be placed but you go find them anyways you are being very hypocritical. If a cache gets visitors then the cache owner can only assume that he placed a cache that people want to visit and it will encourage more of that type to be created. If you want less of a certain type of cache to be created then don't visit those types of caches.

I don't like road side memorial caches because placing a cache along a road, unless the road is built to have pedestrian traffic, isn't very safe. Especially if the location is where an actually accident happened. This is a story from last year where two teens were killed at a road side memorial site while memorializing two teen who where killed at the exact same spot earlier that same day.

I really want to share my opinion on this matter, but I know that some moderator is going to take offense to my opinion and ban me for it. So I will instead lie and say that I agree with you. Roadside caches are unsafe.

I really want to share my opinion on this matter, but I know that some moderator is going to take offense to my opinion and ban me for it. So I will instead lie and say that I agree with you. Roadside caches are unsafe.

I'm not saying that all roadside caches are unsafe. If that were true then there would a roadway guideline similar to the railroad guideline. Some roadsides have sidewalk and low speed limits so that it is safe for pedestrians. Other roadsides have no designated walking area, putting anyone who tries to walk along the road too close to traffic, and speed limits that are too fast to be safe for pedestrians. I've seen roadside memorials in all kinds of locations. I even saw one that I wondered how the person who placed the memorial did it without getting themselves hurt or killed! For the most part roadside memorials are placed in the same spot where an accident has taken place. Often times I will see multiple memorials at the same location. It just makes sense that if an accident has happened there once that the chances it will happen there again in very high.

I think placing a cache at a real roadside memorial site is a very bad idea. I wouldn't place one there. When placing a fake roadside memorial to hid a cache in the hider needs to think very carefully about safety. I think a lot of people underestimate how dangerous some roads are. Like those who try to take a shortcut by running across an Interstate freeway. Also the cache need to be rated appropriately. Just because the street is paved doesn't make the terrain rating a 1. If the finder has to dodge traffic or crawl under shrubs to get to the cache this is needs a higher rating. Especially if special gear is needed like a reflective vest or road flares to increase your safety.

After seeing these caches and posts after starting this topic. I contact my state law maker and one of my friends that is a state police officer. In Indiana on state roads roadside memorials are illegal. Indiana code #8-23-1-38 defines signs, which memorials and crosses fall under. Indiana code #8-23-20-6 is what is prohibited and #2 is why they prohibited. County and City might have different laws. So I guess it is up to the reviewer to find out the local laws.

Thank you for this information. I hate these memorials. As a home health care professional, I saw many of them throughout southern Indiana. The gaudy lengths people extend the boundries of civil behavior on public land astounds me. I have seen 6' high crosses, memorials with pictures-basket balls-wreaths-and more, even brass plaques. Memorials are for the grave yard. Would these people like to be in a hospital bed with memorials tacked on the wall in memory of all those who died on that bed? "Oh, excuse me while I place this wreath for my loved one who died last week in this bed."

These memorials are placed in dangerous places on the highways - obviously, people have died on these spots. They should not distact drivers or be visited. And most discusting are the memorials for drunk drivers that took their own lives. I take these down and leave a note, "Their foolish act could have killed my family. Please grieve at the grave."

How about a geocache of removed roadside memorials ?

Everything in life is unsafe. Newsflash - life is detrimental to health, and leads to death.

Personal responsibility is truly the question at hand when it comes to caching anywhere, to include along roads. Conduct a risk assessment, apply appropriate mitigation, and then decide to do it or not. Do you realize that every time you change lanes whilst driving increases your chance of dying by 3%?

In my current state of caching mind, I would probably not do these types of caches, since they would not appeal to me. I see the memorials- I remember someone died, and indeed, I may be slightly more careful about my driving. I don't need a cache to take me to the spots...

At any rate, I think the cache description is very tastefully done, and the cache w/ description are VERY respectful. As such, I disagree with the OP in that this cache lowers public perception of caching or degrades the activity in any way.

For all you that really love cemetery caches. Here is a series in Indiana that a hider started. Now we playing a game around someones loss of a loved one. There is no historic value like some cemeteries, just a loss of a loved one. Not only is there a cache container with a log, you also have to get a picture with your gps and the cross. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, TAKE A LOOK. WHERE IS THIS GAME OR HOBBY HEADING. Here is the link to Cache #1. The hider has 10 caches out of this type, some are traditional.

:D I think it is really not appropriate. I do like cemetery caches but I feel the caches should be in an area where there are not recently deceased people. The markers on the roadside are not there to be markers for future caches but they are there for us to take notice in a different way....drive more carefully or to mourn the person who died. I also think that taking a photo at the cross site is the epitomy of bad taste. Are cachers that hard up to find decent hiding spot. I know we want to be creative but ...........

If there was not safe legal parking nearby I would skip it for that reason.

My first thought. Makes absolutely no sense to entice someone to stop along a roadside and endanger them and others for a cache. To many drivers today are distracted enough without us putting sitting targets out on the shoulder for them to hit.

Here in Texas, this sort of memorial is required to be placed at the edge of the right of way, far from the pavement, or it may be removed by the state crews. This is due to the concern about mowers hitting hidden objects and throwing them, other motorists leaving the roadway and hitting these memorials, and the ease of maintenance.

Personally, I believe that if someone places one of these, and fails to maintain it properly, not only should the state trash it, they should issue a citation for litter as well. Like a cache, if you feel the need to place it, you need to maintain it as also.

As for these being a reminder to others to be more careful driving, you have got to be kidding! Do you honestly believe the moron who cuts across in front of an 80,000 lb truck to get to an exit ramp even looks at these crosses, much less has an intelligent thought about their driving habits?

Everything

Personal responsibility is truly the question at hand when it comes to caching anywhere, to include along roads. Conduct a risk assessment, apply appropriate mitigation, and then decide to do it or not. Do you realize that every time you change lanes whilst driving increases your chance of dying by 3%?

The risk is not just to cachers, but to other motorists as well. Too often, I have seen people come out into traffic without checking other traffic, or without gaining speed on the shoulder first, where possible. Face it, too many think they are invincible inside thier cars, that it is their own private world. And we all know that personal responsibility ended with the growth of the legal profession in our little "blame someone else" world.

For all you that really love cemetery caches. Here is a series in Indiana that a hider started. Now we playing a game around someones loss of a loved one. There is no historic value like some cemeteries, just a loss of a loved one. Not only is there a cache container with a log, you also have to get a picture with your gps and the cross. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, TAKE A LOOK. WHERE IS THIS GAME OR HOBBY HEADING. Here is the link to Cache #1. The hider has 10 caches out of this type, some are traditional.

Cache #1

:blink::blink::D:anicute::)

After 488 cache hides it makes sense that you'd run out of original ideas that don't offend people I suppose.

Seems the "Lets trash the country with memorials" crowd is growing. Way past time to ban all memorials on any public property outside of cemetaries, and to impose stiff penalties on anyone placing them.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=76617

DENVER (AP) - Synthentic flowers around varnished wooden posts, wind chimes and other memorials to the dead are increasingly popping up in National Forests and on wilderness.

Rangers in one instance have used horses to haul out a memorial stone found above the timberline in the Flattops Wilderness Area northwest of Rifle.

US Forest Service policy prohibits such memorials, burials and even ash-scattering on public land.

John Bustos is a spokesman for the Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest west of Denver. He says memorials are not part of the ecosystem and can be a distraction for people trying to connect with nature.

Some national forests, including the Pike and San Isabel National Forest -- have a program where people can donate money in memory of a loved one. The money goes to purchase trees.

Cache #1

:anicute::blink::blink::):D

I'm sorry but if I came across something like this on public land, I would CITO the entire mess.

I mean no disrespect for those who have lost a loved one and It's not that I merely find roadside memorials offensive. I feel that unless they are on priivate property, these memorials are litter and probably vandalism.

They also usually represent a location where someone was killed or where a body was found. Why invite others to a potentially deadly location? Cemetaries or planned & approved memorials make much better location for memorial caches IMHO.

Not so on topic: Other great ways of placing memorials are placing memorial benches, trees, park upgrades etc... along with a memorial plaque. Not by trashing the roadside and possibly creating a distraction in an area already known to be deadly.

I have planned a roadside cross cache (for a few years now). The container would be the cross. I have permission from the city to do so too. Its in a safe area. Ive just been too lazy to make the cross/ container.

How can you get permission to erect a religious symbol on public land?

In my opinion, a cache at a roadside memorial is in poor taste. Although I understand the memorials are placed by those who grieve the loss of a loved one, and lately it seems to be more of a common act in the grieving process, I observe most people in that situation are not thinking as clearly as normal. In these parts it is commonplace. These memorials are starting to line our local roadways. They are a distraction to other drivers. I believe it was previously posted that they tend to populate in certain dangerous areas. They do, I’ve seen it.

Although accidents can happen anywhere, on the road they more typically happen at bad intersections and blind curves. Sometimes over bridges that freeze before the road surface. Along these roads, the road crews need to mow to keep the safest line of sight. Now they have to carefully mow around the memorial in a dangerous area. Drivers are distracted by the display adding to the danger. Do we need to pose more unnecessary risk by placing a cache there?. IMHO - no. Even if it’s in an area with a safe pull off, away from the dangers of traffic...why would I want to place (or seek) a cache at such a place of misfortune and sorrow?? I have never put a cache on my ignore list to date. Should one of these pop up in my area...it would be the first.

And if you should find my opinion somewhat cold hearted, know this: I perform funeral rituals and grave side services. I’ve seen too many times the sadness and emotion these families share, and I understand why they erect them. It’s just not for me. And to make a cache that is a FAKE memorial?? I won’t even go into how wrong I feel that is.

... I've seen roadside memorials in all kinds of locations. I even saw one that I wondered how the person who placed the memorial did it without getting themselves hurt or killed! For the most part roadside memorials are placed in the same spot where an accident has taken place. Often times I will see multiple memorials at the same location. It just makes sense that if an accident has happened there once that the chances it will happen there again in very high. ...
... These memorials are placed in dangerous places on the highways - obviously, people have died on these spots. ...
I think that it's important to remember that the great bulk of accidents that these roadside crosses memorialize did not happen at the location of the cross. They happened in the road. A person standing at the location of the cross is in no more danger than standing in the grass next to any road.
... In these parts it is commonplace. These memorials are starting to line our local roadways. They are a distraction to other drivers. I believe it was previously posted that they tend to populate in certain dangerous areas. They do, I’ve seen it.

... Drivers are distracted by the display adding to the danger. Do we need to pose more unnecessary risk by placing a cache there?. IMHO - no. ...

I'm not buying this argument.

If it is true that roadside memorials are commonplace, then it is unlikely that drivers are being distracted by them. I also don't believe that a human standing in the grass next to a road creates a dangerous distraction to anyone but the most inexperienced learners permit holders, who should be driving with a license driver, anyway.

... I've seen roadside memorials in all kinds of locations. I even saw one that I wondered how the person who placed the memorial did it without getting themselves hurt or killed! For the most part roadside memorials are placed in the same spot where an accident has taken place. Often times I will see multiple memorials at the same location. It just makes sense that if an accident has happened there once that the chances it will happen there again in very high. ...
... These memorials are placed in dangerous places on the highways - obviously, people have died on these spots. ...
I think that it's important to remember that the great bulk of accidents that these roadside crosses memorialize did not happen at the location of the cross. They happened in the road. A person standing at the location of the cross is in no more danger than standing in the grass next to any road.
... In these parts it is commonplace. These memorials are starting to line our local roadways. They are a distraction to other drivers. I believe it was previously posted that they tend to populate in certain dangerous areas. They do, I’ve seen it.

... Drivers are distracted by the display adding to the danger. Do we need to pose more unnecessary risk by placing a cache there?. IMHO - no. ...

I'm not buying this argument.

If it is true that roadside memorials are commonplace, then it is unlikely that drivers are being distracted by them. I also don't believe that a human standing in the grass next to a road creates a dangerous distraction to anyone but the most inexperienced learners permit holders, who should be driving with a license driver, anyway.

Most anything that isn't common place on the side of the road, be it a vehicle, persons or persons, a wreck, gaudy memorial, etc,, can and do cause distractions. Most people are curious and want to see what's going on and they do take their eyes off the road to do that. I've seen this many times, both in other vehicles and with people driving that i was in the vehicle with. To be honest, while i try to watch what i'm doing, i also know that i've done it myself at times.

A simple memorial with only a cross might not be as distracting but adding flower wreaths and other junk, vehicles parked near, and/or cachers to the mix will most definitely cause heads to be turned. Of course this all depends on location as to how inopportune those distractions can be!

Um, moderators don't ban people for opinions. It's how you deliver your opinion that matters.

I have planned a roadside cross cache (for a few years now). The container would be the cross. I have permission from the city to do so too. Its in a safe area. Ive just been too lazy to make the cross/ container.

How can you get permission to erect a religious symbol on public land?

The same way you get permission to erect any other thing on public land.

The constitution. It doesn't ban religion, or symbols on public lands. What it does is prevent the federal government from promoting or respecting a religion above others.

Most state and local governments take their cue from the feds on this, but there are exceptions.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Someone has already lost their life at the area, now we are inviting others to stop and log a geocache. What would the family think if they knew we were playing a game around their loss. If they want to up keep the area they will do it.

Isn't the point of the crosses to put something up so that people will stop and read? Seems like that's what putting a geocache there will accomplish as well... as long as the crosses aren't being physically disturbed or altered, I can't see a problem.

it might even get visits from people who would take the time to post a photo of the of the memorial on an internet forum with a review expressing the opinion that the site shows a lack of tastefulness. i'm sure the Lewis family would approve.

TACKY!!!! I wonder if we should leave an informational card on geocaching in case Denise gets bored.

309ccf57-f9b4-4767-8579-e483207563d3.jpg

Interesting comments in this thread so far.

Team GCH,

I agree with you. I personally don't agree with this type of hide unless it happened to be a family member or friend who placed the cache as a way to honor or remember the loved one. If it were a friend or anyone else, then I think it's a case where they should seek permission from a family member.

There are so many good places to hide geocaches, I don't understand why the 'general' geocaching public would feel the need to hide one in a place like that but not everone has the same thought process or values. If I came across a cache like that while researching, I would not do it unless I knew it was a family member or friend who placed it there and they did it as an opportunity to allow the cacher to learn about that person's life. I've done a couple memorial caches but they were not placed at crosses or in cemetaries.

~tsun

I agree with this.

Personally, I've never really understood why someone would want to mark the location where a loved one died, and, in these cases, probably died badly. I can only guess that they are marking it at the location where they last "lived".

I'd much rather find a beautiful location where I know that the loved one enjoyed or would have enjoyed and then place a cache there, as I did for my brother Bubba last year : Remember Bubba

I agree with this as well.

Call me on the fence on this one. I wouldn't do the cache as it seems really personal (the roadside cross), but I do enjoy going to old cemeteries. Maybe the difference is in the age? I dunno....

What I do find sad though is that nobody that has logged so far has said anything about the deceased. It's all been about the FTF, the hum of the power lines, etc. - it seems that the PURPOSE of the cache has been missed. Maybe that's my fear - they will become like LPC and just easy number runs with no thought about why it's there.

Let's call this whining what it really is - whining. Some don't like the roadside memorials and that's fine but to make lame excuses like they distract drivers in pathetic. So the cell phones, DVD players, GPSr, MP3 players, coffee, music, CDs, makeup, etc wasn't enough of a distraction that an occasional roadside cross is going to bother these drivers?

If people want to memorialize a lost loved-one let 'em, if a cache can be tastefully placed at the memorial then fine. Those who object don't have to look at it or look for it

Let's call this whining what it really is - whining. Some don't like the roadside memorials and that's fine but to make lame excuses like they distract drivers in pathetic. So the cell phones, DVD players, GPSr, MP3 players, coffee, music, CDs, makeup, etc wasn't enough of a distraction that an occasional roadside cross is going to bother these drivers?

If people want to memorialize a lost loved-one let 'em, if a cache can be tastefully placed at the memorial then fine. Those who object don't have to look at it or look for it

I can agree with that.

Team GCH,

I agree with you. I personally don't agree with this type of hide unless it happened to be a family member or friend who placed the cache as a way to honor or remember the loved one. If it were a friend or anyone else, then I think it's a case where they should seek permission from a family member.

There are so many good places to hide geocaches, I don't understand why the 'general' geocaching public would feel the need to hide one in a place like that but not everone has the same thought process or values. If I came across a cache like that while researching, I would not do it unless I knew it was a family member or friend who placed it there and they did it as an opportunity to allow the cacher to learn about that person's life. I've done a couple memorial caches but they were not placed at crosses or in cemetaries.

~tsun

Why would you need permission from a family member? Most likely the location of the cross is not the family's land so placing a cache there is no different than placing the cross there. Did the family get permission to place the cross there? If I was the land owner I would remove the cross without even asking the family. A cache I would leave. I consider the memorial crosses little more than litter. There are places for memorials and the place is not on someone else's land. Why do I have to be reminded that so and so died at that location from something that so and so most likely caused themselves?

As for me I would not likely search for a cache attached to this type of memorial. I would feel too out of place searching around a memorial that 1. I do not think has any right in the first place of being there; and 2. I would not like to draw attention to myself to others that may have a major issue with me crawling that location.

I have a friend who is a traffic cop, and he refers to the roadside shrines as attempts to enshrine stupid people who weren't paying attention while driving.

As one of those cops, I never pass a roadside monument without thinking to myself sadly that it's a monument to someone's stupidity. Maybe not necessarily the person who died, but nearly always someone's momentary, chronic or tragic stupidity. A memorial to say "Something stupid happened at this spot". Very sad. Not really something I'd want to draw attention to myself, and certainly not a place I'd choose to spend the limited recreation time I have.

...but to make lame excuses like they distract drivers in pathetic....

If you notice them at all, they are a distraction. That's how it works.

Really?

I noticed a speed limit sign on my way to work this morning, but it didn't distract me.

I noticed a couple walking their beagle, but wasn't distracted.

I noticed the new overpass that is nearly completed, but wasn't distracted.

I noticed the car with the boom-boom stereo, but wasn't distracted.

I noticed the sign that said 'we buy houses'. I made a mental note to have some of those signs printed up, but wasn't distracted.

NO, let's call it disrespect. In less it is your family or friend you do not know them, placing a cache is not honoring them. We all know we do not have to look at it or look for it. What are you getting out of the cache except a number. I think the owner of the cache should find the family and let them know that they are placing the cache at their family members memorial. If the family approves then go for it. Because if it was not for a roadside memorial and a lost of live there would be no cache.

If the family wants to honor their family member good for them. Let's not play a game around their loss.

NO LOSS OF LIVE, NO ROADSIDE MEMORIAL, NO CACHE! ;)

NO, let's call it disrespect. In less it is your family or friend you do not know them, placing a cache is not honoring them. We all know we do not have to look at it or look for it. What are you getting out of the cache except a number. I think the owner of the cache should find the family and let them know that they are placing the cache at their family members memorial. If the family approves then go for it. Because if it was not for a roadside memorial and a lost of live there would be no cache.

If the family wants to honor their family member good for them. Let's not play a game around their loss.

Perhaps some of us should take a nice cleansing breath.

Back to the cache in question. It is not at the memorial. I fail to see how it is any less respectful than any other cache that points out any other memorial. (Please see my previous post regarding this.)

This weekend, there was a jazz festival around the square in my town. In the center of that square is a memorial to lost confederate soldiers. While my wife and I were there, we were shocked to see a family walk up and read the memorial. Clearly, the jazz festival people should have consulted with the families of the soldiers before they enticed people to approach the memorial. They should not be playing around these families' losses.

It's shameful. [/sarcasm]

Really?

I noticed a speed limit sign on my way to work this morning, but it didn't distract me.

I noticed a couple walking their beagle, but wasn't distracted.

I noticed the new overpass that is nearly completed, but wasn't distracted.

I noticed the car with the boom-boom stereo, but wasn't distracted.

I noticed the sign that said 'we buy houses'. I made a mental note to have some of those signs printed up, but wasn't distracted.

Technically, you were distracted, albeit, for a very short duration of time. ;)

I didn't go back and reread the OP's first post, but what i remember is that it wasn't a concern about distractions but whether hiding a cache at these roadside memorials is disrespectful and not appropriate. My opinion on that one particular concern still stands. It's not disrespectful and i don't see a problem with placing a cache at one of these.

OT again,,, Every one of these that i've ever come across has been placed on state property and they certainly aren't dedicated places for memorialization or some kind of sacred ground. My opinion is that these "memorials" shouldn't be put out in the first place.

Perhaps some of us should take a nice cleansing breath.

Back to the cache in question. It is not at the memorial. I fail to see how it is any less respectful than any other cache that points out any other memorial. (Please see my previous post regarding this.)

This weekend, there was a jazz festival around the square in my town. In the center of that square is a memorial to lost confederate soldiers. While my wife and I were there, we were shocked to see a family walk up and read the memorial. Clearly, the jazz festival people should have consulted with the families of the soldiers before they enticed people to approach the memorial. They should not be playing around these families' losses.

It's shameful. [/sarcasm]

If it was not for the memorial then there would be not cache at those sites. There are 10 of those caches and for all of them a requirement is to post a picture with your GPS at the memorial site, no matter if you off set the physical cache to get the log for the number you still have to include the memorial site and a picture.

Your comparsion to that memorial is different. Your memorial is history and you can learn from that history. No one lost their life at that site and it is not on the side of the road. Your site in question was a drive to honor those of the past that made this country what it is.

Take at look at the cache pages they are all the same except a different with pictures cache locations. Except the same information on all of the pages, tell me where you have learned about that memorial in question. In some of the pictures you find a name, date of death, flowers. Where is the history lesson? ;)

If it was not for the memorial then there would be not cache at those sites. There are 10 of those caches and for all of them a requirement is to post a picture with your GPS at the memorial site, no matter if you off set the physical cache to get the log for the number you still have to include the memorial site and a picture.
The memorial in our town square is the first stage of my 'Great Caesar's Ghost' cache. I'm sure lots of caches are tied to memorials.
Your comparsion to that memorial is different. Your memorial is history and you can learn from that history.
These roadside markers are also history and we should all learn from them.
No one lost their life at that site and it is not on the side of the road. Your site in question was a drive to honor those of the past that made this country what it is.
My example wasn't a VFW memorial. It's a pretty good bet that some of the soldiers died pretty much right there.
Take at look at the cache pages they are all the same except a different with pictures cache locations. Except the same information on all of the pages, tell me where you have learned about that memorial in question. In some of the pictures you find a name, date of death, flowers. Where is the history lesson? ;)
Here's the lesson that I take from each of those memorials:

The roads are dangerous. Be careful.

So you learn from the roadside memorials roads are dangerous.

That tells me that area is dangerous and someone lost their life, because that are is dangerous.

So we placed a geocache in a dangerous area? That makes sense! ;)

As I explained earlier in the thread and others explained even better, the great bulk of the accidents which resulted in these roadside memorials did not occur on the grass next to the road. They happened in the road, where the cars are. The areas of the cache are not, therefore, inherently dangerous. (Of course, if you arrive at the location to find a smashed cross and tire rutts all over the grass, consider that spot to be a possible hazard.)

(I just noticed that you are from Anderson, IN. That's where I bought my beloved Allante, Sophie. Sigh. Good times.)

Edited by sbell111

Really?

I noticed a speed limit sign on my way to work this morning, but it didn't distract me. ....

Yes it did. Too many signs distracting you from the important ones can be a problem. You don't see the one you really need to see because of all the other ones also competing for your attention.

How distracted you are varies. Most of us take in a lot of info at a glance and we only spend extra time on the exceptions. If the beagle would have shown signs of jumping into the road, you would have spent more time on it. Instead you merely note that it's not an issue and get on with everthing else.

Actually your post is a good example of how we process all the distracting information as we drive. My kids can't do that yet. It shows.

Really?

I noticed a speed limit sign on my way to work this morning, but it didn't distract me. ....

Yes it did. Too many signs distracting you from the important ones can be a problem. You don't see the one you really need to see because of all the other ones also competing for your attention.

How distracted you are varies. Most of us take in a lot of info at a glance and we only spend extra time on the exceptions. If the beagle would have shown signs of jumping into the road, you would have spent more time on it. Instead you merely note that it's not an issue and get on with everthing else.

Actually your post is a good example of how we process all the distracting information as we drive. My kids can't do that yet. It shows.

I completely get what you are saying. The very act of driving is one of processing all the distractions to allow yourself to arrive at your destination promtly, unscathed, and free of tickets. That being said, one more person milling about near the side of the road, doesn't cause anything any added danger, in my opinion. Edited by sbell111