Dissertation research--please help!

Hello everyone!

I'm a grad student writing my doctoral dissertation on activities like geocaching. I have a web survey, and I'd really appreciate it if you would all take a few minutes and take it (it's not very long)!

Here's the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=7n_2...EAV_2bcDw_3d_3d

Just FYI, I did get permission from Groundspeak before posting this!) :ph34r:

Feel free to forward the survey link to other people that you know are interested in geocaching.

It's been really fun to research this stuff and you guys are the experts, so I need your input!

All my official university info is on the first page of the survey.

Thank you so much!!

Edited by TheFolklorist

Sorry, but I've temporarily removed the link to the survey and I am temporarily closing this thread. The OP should contact me by forum private message (PM) or e-mail through my profile. Please indicate who it was at Groundspeak who granted permission for you to conduct a survey in the forums. If you have an e-mail, please forward it to me.

EDIT: Sorry for the mixup. It's all straightened out and the thread is open again.

Edited by Keystone

Sorry, but I've temporarily removed the link to the survey and I am temporarily closing this thread. The OP should contact me by forum private message (PM) or e-mail through my profile. Please indicate who it was at Groundspeak who granted permission for you to conduct a survey in the forums. If you have an e-mail, please forward it to me.

EDIT: Sorry for the mixup. It's all straightened out and the thread is open again.

Well, the thread was re-opened, but the link is still missing. Can you put it back in so others can help?

Hi again, everyone!

I've got the link back in there now--sorry about the confusion.

For those who were wondering, my PhD is in folklore (though if that seems too strange, just think "cultural anthropology"), and my dissertation is looking at object-tracking activities (like geocaching or where's george, etc.) as pastimes that are especially suited to modern life (technology, mobility, ease-of-travel, etc.) and that help negotiate aspects of modern life that we may not love (disconnect from nature, extreme virtuality, etc.).

I'm also looking at the way that object tracking relates to the small world model, where people are all connected even if they don't know each other personally.

Anyway, that's a very brief summary, but I hope it explains it a bit. I'm really having a wonderful time researching it. :D

Thanks again for all your help! The survey link will be open for some time, so if you haven't taken it yet, please consider it!

Hi again, everyone!

I've got the link back in there now--sorry about the confusion.

For those who were wondering, my PhD is in folklore (though if that seems too strange, just think "cultural anthropology"), and my dissertation is looking at object-tracking activities (like geocaching or where's george, etc.) as pastimes that are especially suited to modern life (technology, mobility, ease-of-travel, etc.) and that help negotiate aspects of modern life that we may not love (disconnect from nature, extreme virtuality, etc.).

I'm also looking at the way that object tracking relates to the small world model, where people are all connected even if they don't know each other personally.

Anyway, that's a very brief summary, but I hope it explains it a bit. I'm really having a wonderful time researching it. :lol:

Thanks again for all your help! The survey link will be open for some time, so if you haven't taken it yet, please consider it!

It sounds fascinating. I hope my bit of input helps! Good luck! :D

Argh! Me heartstrings!