First find!

GeoSchnoodle

My trusty pup and I made our first find this am. I am using an old Garmin GPS 12 that belonged to my Dad. Does anyone know if it is worth obtaining the data cable for this antique? There is one on eBay, but I do not want the hassle if it will not function with Windows XP.

I'm also avidly reading the boards about paperless caching. I have a Dell Axim and an old Handspring visor. Any thoughts there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the Forums! :ph34r: And, congratulations on your first find! :ph34r:

I don't know the answer about the data cable . . . does your computer have a Serial Port. Many newer laptops don't which means you have to get a Serial to USB adapter . . . some of those work . . . some don't. :D

I have been "Paperless" almost from the beginning. I already had a Palm M500 so I installed Cachemate. It is a very handy program. There is both a Palm and PPC version of that program.

I became a Premium Member . . . at first for $3.00 per month . . . then I got the annual membership for $30.00. The membership gives you access to Pocket Queries so you can load 500, or more caches, into your Axim in just a few seconds.

To handle all the data from the several PQs I have to get for this cache-rich area, I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

I hope this helps. :blink:

My trusty pup and I made our first find this am. I am using an old Garmin GPS 12 that belonged to my Dad. Does anyone know if it is worth obtaining the data cable for this antique? There is one on eBay, but I do not want the hassle if it will not function with Windows XP.

I'm also avidly reading the boards about paperless caching. I have a Dell Axim and an old Handspring visor. Any thoughts there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The only real problem with the older GPS is the serial interface for it. Also it is an older, slower unit at just about everything. I think you may find that you want a newer unit after you find a few dozen caches. Might wait to see how much you like geocaching and better spend the money on a newer unit.

I use a Dell Axim with Pocket Queries and a free program called GPXSonar that lets you view cache page details out in the field very similar to what you see online. Be sure to get a good case for the Axim as they don't work so good sitting in a mud puddle after slipping out of your pocket.

Be sure to spend the $30 for year of Premium membership as that gives you access to the best tools.

The only real problem with the older GPS is the serial interface for it. Also it is an older, slower unit at just about everything. I think you may find that you want a newer unit after you find a few dozen caches. Might wait to see how much you like geocaching and better spend the money on a newer unit.

I use a Dell Axim with Pocket Queries and a free program called GPXSonar that lets you view cache page details out in the field very similar to what you see online. Be sure to get a good case for the Axim as they don't work so good sitting in a mud puddle after slipping out of your pocket.

Be sure to spend the $30 for year of Premium membership as that gives you access to the best tools.

I just spent some time upgrading to premium and now have GPXSonar up and running on the Axim. I got GSAK as well and am muddling thru that. Do you use GSAK or just page thru the file names in the GPX program?

I need to check the back of the computer to see if there is a serial interface. I do need to see how much seeking we actually do before spending $$ on a zippier unit :ph34r:

Thanks to all for speedy replies!

Welcome to geocaching!

I do often recommend that people who are unsure of whether or not they'll enjoy geocaching start with a used GPS receiver ... it minimizes the investment in case it turns out to be something the person doesn't like. But as you're seeing, there are drawbacks to older receivers, and you may wish to consider upgrading, especially if you're interested in paperless geocaching (which I heartily endorse).

Jeannette (Angevine)

I started a couple of years a go with the same unit, GPS12.

I bought the serial cable and a serial to USB, then connected to my lap top.

I used "Easy GPS", (free) and easily down loaded GC's to my unit.

As soon as I found a couple of GC's I was hooked.

I now have a Legend C and a Legend Cx, and still keep the GPS12 for backup

or for the kids.

Good luck and welcome

MB

Welcome to the madness!

Once you get going, you may want to load multiple caches at one time. The serial cable works great for that. If you are going on a trip, the GSAK will sort all the caches you have loaded in your computer (in it) into those along your route. You can filter these either by direction, or using one of the other filters in the last tab, a polygon or by points. Then, it is up to you to par that to a number that will fit your gpsr. Those caches not available, parking coords, and archived are the first to be cut. You can do this in GSAK also. (you have to scroll for the parking coords, just look for a waypoint that doesn't start with GC, tick it, and delete them all at once.)

Remember, geocaching is a game. Have fun.