Want streets, which software?

chuckr30

I have a Garmin 76csx. The basemap comes with US interstates and some state highways. I would like a map to show all the city streets (or most of them) in Michigan. Which software do I need? I will mainly be using the map for geocaching, but occasionally for driving.

I have seen different software, I don't think I need the topo software. But there are several other ones like Garmin City Nav NT 2008.

Also, when I install this map, will I still have the highways visible on my GPS?

Will I lose my geocaches when I install the street map?

Are there any other map packages I can buy that are cheaper than the Garmin one that will show streets on my 76csx?

My unit came with an SD card which I think is 1gb. Will I have enough room to add some more geocaches? Or will I use up most of the card loading the street maps?

Can I load only 1 or 2 states to save room on my GPS SD card? (Like Michigan, which I will use 99% of the time.)

Edited by chuckr30

Chuck - I bought Metroguide North America with my recent purchase of a Vista Hcx. Given the reality of the limitations of viewing the map on a small screen, I like the maps. I don't know how the data in Metroguide compares with City Navigator, but Metroguide has all of the information and more that I need from a street map in a hand-held gpsr and it was less expensive.

Metroduide loads as a map layer within MapSource. The license agreement restricts usage to one computer. But, I didn't see any limitations on then loading it from that computer to more than one gpsr. You don't have to "unlock" the unit to load it.

To load the maps into the gpsr, you first have to create a file of maps in MapSource - use the map tool to select the map parcels that you want to use. If you intend to periodically change the maps, I would suggest saving the various files so that you don't have to recreate them. Limit the size of the file to the amount of available memory on your gpsr - MapSource will advise you about the size of the file as you build it. Once the file is created, send it to the gpsr. That process erases the temporary memory, i.e. previous map data that you have sent to the unit, regardless of the amount of memory in use and the size of the new file. This process does not disturb the base map or saved waypoints, tracks and routes.

With a 1 gb card, you probably have enough memory to load most of the country. But, it will take awhile to build that file and quite awhile to transfer all of that data to your gpsr.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect the memory card is only good for map data. Waypoints, etc. store on the unit's "hard drive".

I have a Garmin 76csx. The basemap comes with US interstates and some state highways. I would like a map to show all the city streets (or most of them) in Michigan. Which software do I need? I will mainly be using the map for geocaching, but occasionally for driving.

For what you want City Nav 2008 or City Nav NT 2008 would be best. It will do what you want. NT is more highly compressed, so you can fit more maps in a smaller card.

I have seen different software, I don't think I need the topo software. But there are several other ones like Garmin City Nav NT 2008.

Yes, see above.

Also, when I install this map, will I still have the highways visible on my GPS?

You will still have your basemap. The detailed map only comes in at a certain zoom level, around 8 miles. Also, the City Nav maps have major highways as well.

Will I lose my geocaches when I install the street map?

No, they will still be there.

Are there any other map packages I can buy that are cheaper than the Garmin one that will show streets on my 76csx?

Metroguide may be cheaper, and it will show streets, but it does not autoroute (at least not out of the box, it can be made to autoroute with some processing).

My unit came with an SD card which I think is 1gb. Will I have enough room to add some more geocaches? Or will I use up most of the card loading the street maps?

Are you sure it came with a 1gb card? I understood that the 76C(S)x came with something like a 128 mb card. Are your caches waypoints or custom POIs? Waypoints are stored internally and it does not matter how many maps you have, you are limited to 1000 waypoints. Custom POIs are stored on the card, so adding more depends on how may maps you put on there. You can use most of the card loading maps, but you do not have to.

Can I load only 1 or 2 states to save room on my GPS SD card? (Like Michigan, which I will use 99% of the time.)

You can load as many or as few map segments as you want.

You're right. The 76csx does come with a 128mb card. I checked the gpscity.com website. I guess I'll have to buy another card if I want street maps.

Chuck - 128mb of MetroGuide would give you all of Michigan, including the UP; the eastern half of Wisconsin; about 3/4 of Illinois; the northern 3/4 of Indiana; most of Ohio; and, pieces of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

You're right. The 76csx does come with a 128mb card. I checked the gpscity.com website. I guess I'll have to buy another card if I want street maps.

Chuck - 128mb of MetroGuide would give you all of Michigan, including the UP; the eastern half of Wisconsin; about 3/4 of Illinois; the northern 3/4 of Indiana; most of Ohio; and, pieces of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

I have a 2GB card in mine but i guess it is overkill since there is a cap on how many map segments that can be loaded at one time. Which completely sucks in my opinion... :ph34r:

I have a 2GB card in mine but i guess it is overkill since there is a cap on how many map segments that can be loaded at one time. Which completely sucks in my opinion... :ph34r:

The only time you will run into the segment limit is if you are loading Topo as well as the auto-routing street maps. Loading City Navigator for the entire country won't be a problem.

Recently someone posted in this Forum about a program they created that gets around that limitation. If you do a Search, you should find it.