Geocoin... found in cache but cannot find it as a trackable item

Santaliki

Advice please. I found a geocoin yesterday in a cache which was a bit of a surprise as I was not expecting to find any coins or travel bugs there. I have entered the tracking number and I just get a messaging saying the travel bug does not exist in the system. It's a coin from a state in the US. How can I find out who owns it .... it was in my 50th cache - maybe its my prize :anitongue:

Does it have a number zero or a letter O in it? :anitongue:

Sometimes that causes an issue.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks for the person who dropped it off to log a comment on the cache page.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks for the person who dropped it off to log it in and activate it.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks. :anitongue:

Does it have a number zero or a letter O in it? :anitongue:

Sometimes that causes an issue.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks for the person who dropped it off to log a comment on the cache page.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks for the person who dropped it off to log it in and activate it.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Yes....tried the O and 0 but :anitongue: . I wish I had paid more attention as to who signed the log before me. At least the cache is close by and if necessary I could go and take a look. I just thought it was funny because the date on the coin is 2005 - so I expected it to be active.

It could well be trackable but not on geocaching.com. Many American states have their own caching site. Don't just keep it! Does it have any info on it stating where its from or info on how to log it?

When I took the trouble to log just such a coin its owners were very grateful having assumed it was lost and I spent several weeks exchanging messages with them.

It could well be trackable but not on geocaching.com. Many American states have their own caching site. Don't just keep it! Does it have any info on it stating where its from or info on how to log it?

When I took the trouble to log just such a coin its owners were very grateful having assumed it was lost and I spent several weeks exchanging messages with them.

Well no I wasn't going to keep it I was only joking about it being my prize! Anyway, thanks for your great advice I checked the coin again and it said 'www.geocachingwa.org'... I didn't notice the 'wa' the first time I looked. I have entered the details on the site. I noticed that it belongs to somebody in UK, I have suggested that they may also want to register it on this site as it appears to be moving about the country without always being logged.... now back to completing my logs!