Comparison of 4 units

nova72asu

Alright I want some specific feedback from those who have actually owned or frequently used the 4 units in question.

I'm comparing the specific following units:

"Garmin etrex (yellow)" versus "Magellan explorist 100"

Second comparison:

"Garmin Legend" versus "Magellan Sportrak Pro"

I don't want to know about any other units, experience with service from companies, or about general aspects of the companies. Also, I'm not comparing the mapping units to the basic units.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Sportrac Pro. Used it three years. Retired it last Spring for a Lowrance H2OC. Sportrak is good, I just wanted color. It is out of production, you will have to find a used one. Look for cracks in the case where it is screwed together. It is a serial connection to your computer and only holds 500 waypoints. My battery tray broke, so you have to be careful as you install new batteries. I never tried to get a replacement. Topical maps are good. Extra cost for maps. Will do turn by turn directions with more extra software and maps.

Never used any of the other three on your list.

I have not used any of the Magellans, just Garmin. I started out with the Geko, seriously looked at the yellow etrex but went ahead and got the Legend. Great GPS, not the fanciest one out there but does everything I want at an affordable price. I also have Vista I picked up on ebay. I still prefer the Legend over the Vista.

the legend has Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) which has been really helpful in some locations.

you can go to the garmin page and look at the specs on all the Garmins.

I cannot say whether Garmin is better than Magellan but everyone I know uses Garmin.

I did order a case and cord for mine right off, makes it so nice to download directly to the GPS Unit

I have owned all 4 of the gps's you mention, and I would pick the Legend hands down.

Explorist 100 - no computer connection

Sportrak pro - has mapping, but not as rugged as etrex series (as sodajerk says, case can crack where case is screwed on)

Etrex yellow - nothing wrong with it but doesn't have mapping like legend. Also, depending on version of yellow, may not have WAAS.

So I would choose the Etrex yellow over the Explorist 100

I'd choose the Legend over the Sportrak

I have owned all 4 of the gps's you mention, and I would pick the Legend hands down.

Explorist 100 - no computer connection

Sportrak pro - has mapping, but not as rugged as etrex series (as sodajerk says, case can crack where case is screwed on)

Etrex yellow - nothing wrong with it but doesn't have mapping like legend. Also, depending on version of yellow, may not have WAAS.

So I would choose the Etrex yellow over the Explorist 100

I'd choose the Legend over the Sportrak

Just to add:

The Sport Track Pro has better reception than the Legend. However the legend has a far better screen for showing maps and more importantly waypoints. The Pro tends to suffer from waypoint clutter when you have to many in one area.

I was in your dilemna just a few weeks ago, nova, not knowing whether to go basic or one with B's & W's. My indecision was solved by good 'ol Wally World. Checked their inventory of GPSrs one day recently, and "Voila", an eXplorist 100 for $35 new in the box with warranty. Couldn't believe it; was informed they are closing out this model, so you might check your local Wal Mart.

No, it doesn't connect with the 'puter and it's a black & white screen, but for now I'm loading the coords by hand and enjoying the heck out of it, while I learn the basics. There's plenty of time to upgrade in time, but for now this 100 is "spot on" for performance.

For the same price of a yellow Etrex, you can get a yellow Etrex H. The 'H' adds the new touted high sensitive receiver. It's the same chip as in my Vista HCx. I still have my old b/w Vista and I tell ya, the difference is phenomenal. Only difference I see between the two is 22 advertised hours of battery life for the non-H vs 17 for the H.

Some internet retailers have stopped carrying the Etrex; I'm thinking it will be discontinued as soon as Garmin empties it's warehouse.