Peanut butter jars

FYI,

I have never found a cache in a peanut butter jar that has not been wet and stinky... Maybe it's my northern climat, but they are not so waterproof.

I've found plenty of peanut butter jar caches that were in fine shape even after a couple of years. Not sure how the smell was cleaned out well enough to keep animals away, though.

As for the OP's question, around here, they are generally rated as small.

FYI,

I have never found a cache in a peanut butter jar that has not been wet and stinky... Maybe it's my northern climat, but they are not so waterproof.

I've found plenty of peanut butter jar caches that were in fine shape even after a couple of years. Not sure how the smell was cleaned out well enough to keep animals away, though.

As for the OP's question, around here, they are generally rated as small.

i didn't want to address the issues of the peanut butter jar itself, which have been discussed very thoroughly and dramatically elsewhere.

Sorry to go off-topic. Not to beat a dead horse, and YMMV,

I'm thinking it may be that PB Jars sometimes use a waxed cardboard liner inside the lid. This may be the element that is failing with time.

I have used a small Nalgene bottle for a geocache. Definitely small, but a convenient form-factor for stuffing into the perfect location. Not much room for swag, but fully waterproof.

Edited by markp99

I would tend to agree with the others and call it as a regular as well.

However I think when your container is close to being one size or another the surrounding area and hide location should be considered.

For example: If you are not quite sure whether an 18 oz PB jar should be a small or regular, hiding in a large forested area away from much civilization would probably tend itself to being a small. OTOH if you were to place it in a more urban setting where hiding places need to be a little more discreet, regular might be more appropriate.

All that to say you could use these guidelines as just a reference when the size is very close to being one or the other.

Since there appears to be a difference of opinion (and it's actually on topic!!), I'll vote "small". If you can't accurately picture an 18oz PB jar, buy a 20oz bottle of soda (pop, Coke, Pepsi, etc.). The PB jar will be fatter with a larger opening but much shorter and with less space inside.

I see no way to consider this as a "regular" when the definition of "regular" according to the guidelines is something about the size of a .30cal (7.62mm) ammo can.

If it's in a "grey" area, I'd always want to tend to indicate it as the smaller option. That way, you get people who are extra happy that they found a somewhat larger container than they expected, rather than people who are annoyed about finding a smaller container that won't fit the TB/whatever they hoped to place. My general theory is that if it would be capable of fitting a softball with room to spare, it's a regular.

Edited by Kabuthunk