How Am I supposed to Cache When I'm always stuck at work or School? :(

I've got the GC fever, and I can't go feed it! I sit at work with nothing to do but read up on the forums and all the great caches, yet I never have the time to go find any! I have tons of ideas about fun caches to start/place, but nooooo.... I never have time! :rolleyes:

Anyone else out there suffering from this as well?

Edited by AustinSweetnSour

I'm rather fortunate in that my boss is not at all anal about my hours. He knows I'll be here when I need to be and that I'll get my work done one way or another. With that in mind, he has no problem with me taking extended lunch "hours" almost every day. If I know I can only get away for an hour or so I'll target a cache accordingly, but sometimes I'm goen for 2 or even 3 hrs. for lunch. On those days I know will be hectic, I grab one on the way in or on the way home. But even on those hectic days I can cache a least a little at lunch by checking out maps, working on puzzles, etc.

Edited by Semper Questio

I've got the GC fever, and I can't go feed it! I sit at work with nothing to do but read up on the forums and all the great caches, yet I never have the time to go find any! I have tons of ideas about fun caches to start/place, but nooooo.... I never have time! :rolleyes:

Aside from the excellent replies offered by other respondents on the forum, my suggestion would be, if geocaching is as important to you as you say, that you immediately quit your job and quit school so that you can spend all the time you wish geocaching. Jobs and school are luxuries, and can always be attended to at a later date, perhaps a few years or decades from now, if they are still important to you at that time.

I know some cachers who will find a cache or two on their way to and from work. One is famous for writing in his log "Found this on my way to work...". The thing is he lives only a few miles from where he works and these caches more often than not are 20, 30 or more miles out of his way.

I've personally come back to work from "lunch" with muddy shoes and briers sticking to my pants.

I'll also add cache hunting to other activities. Coaching or watching a soccer game? Lets see if there is a cache near the field. Visiting my relatives? There is usually a cache nearby, or on the way. Going to the dentist? Maybe there is a cache in that park across the street.

If you want to find the time to hunt caches, you will find the time.

Edited by briansnat

I too have to join in on the "lunch hour" cache sessions. I also like to work out on my lunch breaks and go running, so I just combine the two. <_<

I like to log these cache finds on my lunches as a "Cache and Dash" and kind of gives meaning to speed caching if you will. Most of the caches within a 2-3 mile radius I have found except some of the puzzle and multi caches. The further I go away from the office - the less I have time to find the cache - adding to the challenge.

Unfortunately I have had a few run ins with my boss and he isn't very forgiving on the lunch "hour". The rules are I have to change into running clothes - run and cache - come back change and eat all within 60 minutes. Some days I really have to haul to get back in time!

If you really have the fever, leaving a few minutes early and nabbing a cache or two a day/week really is the best solution I think. Same can be said for the way home.

Alternatively, you can go self employed as the others were saying and start a Geocaching store on the side of your day job in hopes of one day being able to quit your job and be self employed with a Geocaching store like I have done.... now if only I could sustain my family on the Geocaching store I would be free to find many more caches.... :rolleyes:

WOW!! I wish that my work would let me come back from lunch with muddy shoes. I must find me another source of gainful employment.

You guys have got a really sweet thing going fer sure.

I means, I can get away with yocking off in here, but muddy shoes........no way. :anitongue:

Edited by Team Cotati

I can sympathize. I'm very busy...work during the day and my hands are full with house, yard, dog, volunteer committments... My find count is low, not because I'm not as enthusiastic as others but because I don't have the free time. I am amazed at how much time some people spend caching. :anitongue: Don't they ever have to cut the grass, take out the garbage, vacuum the house, do laundry, fold clothes, feed the dog, pull weeds, run errands, get groceries, repair broken things, water plants, wash dishes, ad infinitum?... Squeezing in a little caching time is a real treat for me. I wish I had more time to devote to it. Maybe next year when I give up my newsletter editor position. I'm gonna start learning to say "NO" to "Will you (fill in the blank)?" and "YES" to "Let's go caching!"

I have done some caching on my lunch hour and on my way home from work but forget it in the morning...I'd be late sure as shootin' and we get fired for being late 3 times. I love caching but it ain't worth my job. lol

I feel your pain! I am stuck in an air-cast and am trying desperately to keep it as clean as possible so I've been reading posts and planning my own hide for when I get out of this thing!

Maybe try to hit something during lunch or on your way home...can you cache on the weekends?

Good luck trying to make some time, you will find it!

~erica

tdpr&c

WOW!! I wish that my work would let me come back from lunch with muddy shoes. I must find me another source of gainful employment.

What are they going to do, spank you?

Geez Brian I hope not. However since the scope of my job responsibilities involves client contact on a daily basis, they might in fact have something to say about it. They might also have the nerve to let me know that it is unacceptable and if continued, they might also do something really severe. You know....like give me a good whack across the knuckles. :anitongue::rolleyes::anitongue:

Geez Brian I hope not. However since the scope of my job responsibilities involves client contact on a daily basis, they might in fact have something to say about it. They might also have the nerve to let me know that it is unacceptable and if continued, they might also do something really severe. You know....like give me a good whack across the knuckles. :anitongue::rolleyes::(

That's where a damp cloth and some liquid shoe polish in your desk comes in handy. I've needed both :anitongue::(:(

Geez Brian I hope not. However since the scope of my job responsibilities involves client contact on a daily basis, they might in fact have something to say about it. They might also have the nerve to let me know that it is unacceptable and if continued, they might also do something really severe. You know....like give me a good whack across the knuckles. :anitongue::rolleyes::anitongue:

Bring a spare pair of shoes to wear while caching? I..um...might have actually brought along a change of shoes and a pair of pants to pull on over the skirt I was wearing one day while out caching. The only caches that stopped me were ones that might snag my dress shirt :(

Geez Brian I hope not. However since the scope of my job responsibilities involves client contact on a daily basis, they might in fact have something to say about it. They might also have the nerve to let me know that it is unacceptable and if continued, they might also do something really severe. You know....like give me a good whack across the knuckles. :anitongue::rolleyes::(

Bring a spare pair of shoes to wear while caching? I..um...might have actually brought along a change of shoes and a pair of pants to pull on over the skirt I was wearing one day while out caching. The only caches that stopped me were ones that might snag my dress shirt :(

OhhhTay. Got it, marked it down....teeshirt on order. Roger Wilco...10-4 Commander.

A good way to save the old knuckles too, eh? :anitongue::(

Maybe the fanny as well, who knows.

Edited by Team Cotati

I work in blue jeans, hawaiian shirt, and birkenstocks. :anitongue:

I used to dress nicer for work but I decided that, since I don't do client contact and since they won't pay me more money no matter how I dress, I'll dress this way. It's more comfortable and doesn't interfere with my job. (Saves on ironing and such as well.) There aren't any higher positions available in this town for my employer (state of CA) and I don't want to move to Sacramento or somewhere else for the better paying jobs.

One day a local cacher placed a "bonus" cache. It wasn't posted on gc.com but, instead, was sent out as an email to our local caching group. He was happy to be getting rotated off of traffic duty (he's a LEO) and he placed a stainless steel traffic control coffee mug as a prize and sent the coordinates out to the mail list. I was at work. No GPS. Sigh........... I put it into Google maps and pinned it down semi closely. I jumped up from my desk, said, "I'll be back!" and zoomed out the door. My wife has used that mug a lot. :anitongue:

When I got back to work I went in and told my boss about it and showed her the mug. She just shook her head and said I was a geek. I work 4 nines and a four so I just stayed a little later on Friday to make up the time. It's good to have so flexibility at work.

Like I said earlier though, I do a lot of caching in the evenings. I've been known to head out the door at 10:30 PM for a FTF try when I have to get up at 5:50 AM for work. Caching after dark is a whole different game.......

I've got the GC fever, and I can't go feed it! I sit at work with nothing to do but read up on the forums and all the great caches, yet I never have the time to go find any! I have tons of ideas about fun caches to start/place, but nooooo.... I never have time! :anitongue:

So tell the boss to "take this job and shove it" and go find some caches. Dang, Girl! Where on Earth are your priorities? :anitongue:

Agh. I saw that it's been a month since I found a cache, and last month I only found four. I'm going bonkers. Unfortunately I've found almost all the caches in town over the years, and I'm not able to get out to do any others right now. I'm going bonkers. :ph34r: Hopefully I'll make it to the event in town in a couple weeks. :blink::D Cabin Fever!!! :ph34r:

Besides just work, if I'm visiting relatives or otherwise going ANYWHERE I check to see if there are caches in the area. There usually are. I don't know about your area, but if southwestern Pennsylvania is what you'd call a `typical' area, you can't spit without hitting one. That's why in my opinion, the single best thing about a premium membership is the google earth kml. followed closely by pocket queries.

Geez Brian I hope not. However since the scope of my job responsibilities involves client contact on a daily basis, they might in fact have something to say about it. They might also have the nerve to let me know that it is unacceptable and if continued, they might also do something really severe. You know....like give me a good whack across the knuckles. :rolleyes::(:o

Bring the clients along on a caching trip :D

You say you have "GC Fever." Sounds like you need to take a sick day to me!!

Naw - just keep a clean pair of spare shoes under your desk. Of course the mud trail to my office sometimes gets noticed......

The spare shoes are best kept on the rear floorboard of your car. Switch before coming back in.

I am lucky in that I can cache at work, most of the time. Parking seems to be my biggest problem, with access for a vehicle my size second. Of course, I did start caching to encourage me to walk more......