Events - reservation of wp's ?

kris&an

Hi all,

we were just wondering about this. There has been an issue recently in Belgium.

Some people where preparing the caches for an event and in hte meanwhile another cacher did put a cache in place in the same 'region' disturbing the eventcaches.

Do reviewers in other countries reserve some spots for an event or is there another system in place ?

We're waiting to hear how this is done...

kris&an

Belgium.

If you write up the cache page and ask the reviewer to take a look at it, then either hold it or disable it until near event time, it will hold the coordinates.

I've had up to 50 caches submitted months in advance of an event. As they were already written, they showed on the admin maps and held their place.

Letting the reviewer know well in advance - by writing up the cache page - will hold coordinates. It's harder if you just email some coordinates; you're asking your reviewer to remember them. I can scarcely remember my cell phone number.

Just in August, I did this in my review territory (Northeast Ohio) for a terrific scavenger hunt event that had 18 permanent caches hidden, as well as with a fun cache series that used an entire county as a giant Monopoly board with caches for each space on the game board. For the event, all the locals knew to stay the heck away from hiding caches within a few miles. But for the Monopoly game, the reservation of waypoints as Palmetto described resulted in three unrelated caches being blocked. I did feel sad for the owner who wrote on his cache page that he couldn't believe that this cool location didn't have a cache yet. Well, it did... a Monopoly cache was hidden just 75 feet away, awaiting publication when the series was ready. It would have been far worse to mess up either of these elaborate series because there were puzzles, clue sheets, etc. that referenced the coordinates for the chosen locations.

The procedure Palmetto describes is what Groundspeak has asked the reviewers to follow worldwide.

For me, the time limit is "what's reasonable under the circumstances?" I would not look favorably on someone who "reserved" a large number of locations, with no prior communication to their reviewer, and no visible signs of progress on their cache series.

If it truly took three months to construct a series, then three months is reasonable. I haven't had a need to consider anything longer than that timeframe.

I think it's not only the time to construct the caches but there are aother things that need to be taken care of when organising an event.

eg. a headquarter place where you can house +100 people needs to be booked at least 6 months in advance.

Wouldn't it be pitty to have booked the HQ and find out that 3 months later the area is full of new caches so you need to place the eventcaches kilometers/miles away from the HQ ?

Kris

Wouldn't it be pitty to have booked the HQ and find out that 3 months later the area is full of new caches so you need to place the eventcaches kilometers/miles away from the HQ ?

It seems unlikely that an area which currently has "almost no caches", to the extent that it doesn't seem necessary to reserve waypoints by the mechanism outlined above, would be saturated 3 months later. If you're in rural France then there's probably no current problem and it won't change in 3 months. If you're in .be or .nl then there's probably already quite a concentration of caches, so you should be on your guard and plan the caches accordingly.

I'm not saying that the scenario you describe can't happen, but I suspect it is sufficiently rare that it isn't worth making up rules for.

The bottom line is that the density of (existing) and (to be placed in the next few weeks/months) caches, is a factor which needs to be taken into account when planning your event.