Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento

dflye

My bus says it is still in a GSAK event in the Netherlands since February, however there are 9 pages of "Discoveries" on it over the last 2 months! :)

Bad part is that a cacher over there emailed me indicating they were going to Woodstock and would take the coin but never logged it. :)

Doh!

My bus is curently in Calgary. I can only hope some Canadian cachers are going to GW6 and will pick it up.

It was placed in a cache on the opposite end of the city to me and in the country...but I will go anywhere for two FTF's and to try and get your coin. I know TethysC is going to California....I'll place it in one of his caches.

That would be excellent!

So, step 1 accomplished. I have the bus. Now to get it to TethysC who lives on the other side of the city as well. If I didn't have to get home right away this afternoon I would've detoured after the caching but oh well!

My bus is curently in Calgary. I can only hope some Canadian cachers are going to GW6 and will pick it up.

It was placed in a cache on the opposite end of the city to me and in the country...but I will go anywhere for two FTF's and to try and get your coin. I know TethysC is going to California....I'll place it in one of his caches.

That would be excellent!

So, step 1 accomplished. I have the bus. Now to get it to TethysC who lives on the other side of the city as well. If I didn't have to get home right away this afternoon I would've detoured after the caching but oh well!

That would be excellent!

That would be excellent!

Did you log it? If you help any of the buses, they draw names for prizes. So be sure to log your pick up. And thank you a bunch!

The stats need to be updated. Last update was 4/15. Where's Dan? :)

Was just dealing with the other kind of travel bugs....son picked up a few ticks either at school or the yard today, one medium sized one firmly attached and one huge one running around free-range. :)

Ack, 4/15, didn't think it had been THAT long ago! :)

Looks like about 200 message in my hippie tracking inbox, should be able to chew through them at work tomorrow if all goes well!

Dan, I hate Ticks. Is your son ok?

Thanks for asking, he and I have been gnawed on before when we don't catch them before they latch on, finally wised up and got one of those tick removal tools a few years back that gently pries the little bugger off without killing it or leaving the head still in the bite. Then he likes to run after my wife and torment her while the tick is still caught in the tool and wiggling around. :):D:D

We usually just squash and flush 'em, but after hearing that various tick borne diseases are on the upswing in NC, we're keeping them in a zip-lock for a few weeks for identification purposes in case he starts coming down with something odd. Just have to remember to not use that zip-lock for anything else by mistake! :)

As to the dipping rules, I've been a bit lenient with the few cachers who have been toting hippie buses around the country for months on end. I usually just discount multiple logs in the same day down to a single "hop" in the cache category, and sometimes more if they are dip-o-holics. :D Since there are only a few days left until the finish line, have at it! :D

YAY! PengoBeky's racer has made it to GeoWoodstock!! She is going to be sooo excited tonight when I tell her after school that her racer made it to the finish line. This is the first racer that we have released that actually accomplished its goal. I just wish I could be there with it. LOL

YAY! PengoBeky's racer has made it to GeoWoodstock!! She is going to be sooo excited tonight when I tell her after school that her racer made it to the finish line. This is the first racer that we have released that actually accomplished its goal. I just wish I could be there with it. LOL

There are plenty of coiners going to the event, just a matter of whether any of them are running the TB exchange, if so, maybe have them collect the racers as they come in so they don't run off right away, take a few group pics, and if owner's request it, maybe one of the GW6 organizers could mail a bunch of them back to me and I could route them individually back to their owner (along with any prize winnings, hint hint :huh: )

Another alternative, there is a good sized contingent attending from Raleigh (lots of the GW5 organizers and various NCGO officers), look any of them up and see if they'll cart a racer back to me in Raleigh for mailing back to the owner. :grin::(

Time to update the standings later today, as there is a mad rush to get to the finish line it appears! :D

Congratulations to all those pulling in to the finish line!! I sure wish I could be there for the group picture too!! Oh well Have fun everyone.

As for my racers well one has been held hostage by a Missouri cacher since 1/30 and he isn't answering emails. At least it got half the way there! The other has taken a shorter pit stop! I guess that's what happens with too much ventilation.....

Edited by LadyBee4T

Run another contest for them to make it home on their own.

That would be fun but I am worried more about a race back to my place. I have 2 geotags racing from michigan all the way to us here for my daughter's Sparks. One made it to a cache less than 4 km from my house. We got the notification on the Saturday that the geotag was dropped and PengoDaddy went on the Monday to pick it up and it's gone. :huh: No logs either. Very disappointing. I would rather have mine mailed back so that PengoBeky has a cool momento from this awesome race.

Thanks again dflye for organizing it!! :grin:

So after staring at TB pages for the last hour or two, something visually was bugging me, and just now verified what it is....somebody changed the coin icon for the Road to Sacramento coin! :huh::(:grin:

It used to be a 3D profile from the side/above of a cartoonish looking green VW bus, now it is apparently a 2D pic of the actual coin!

There definitely is a mass migration underway right now, over half of the racers I've updated so far today either are already dropped into GW6, have been picked up with a log saying headed to GW6, or were dropped somewhere on a route along the way to GW6 hoping to hitch a ride.

So after staring at TB pages for the last hour or two, something visually was bugging me, and just now verified what it is....somebody changed the coin icon for the Road to Sacramento coin! :(:grin::huh:

It used to be a 3D profile from the side/above of a cartoonish looking green VW bus, now it is apparently a 2D pic of the actual coin!

There definitely is a mass migration underway right now, over half of the racers I've updated so far today either are already dropped into GW6, have been picked up with a log saying headed to GW6, or were dropped somewhere on a route along the way to GW6 hoping to hitch a ride.

The page wasn't updated for me when I just checked.

Ok, the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento standings have been updated!!

There are now over a dozen racers dropped into the event, and a number of others either en-route or dropped into other local events or caches.

Someone track down that tie-dye wearing coin guy who is about 7 feet tall at the meet n greet tonight or the event tomorrow, and get a pic of him holding onto a bunch of racers!! :grin:

King Finder's - our son - and ours are long gone but my daughter's (Go Girl) made it to GW VI and is already on the move elsewhere. Hope it made it in for the group pic.

I can only find her coin listed on the Racer Status page but not on the Caches, Miles or States pages. Anyone else not on all the pages of standings?

Edited by GPX Navigators

King Finder's - our son - and ours are long gone but my daughter's (Go Girl) made it to GW VI and is already on the move elsewhere. Hope it made it in for the group pic.

I can only find her coin listed on the Racer Status page but not on the Caches, Miles or States pages. Anyone else not on all the pages of standings?

Hmm, they should be there, I'm seeing yours as 80th for miles, 47th (tie) for caches, 79th (tie) for states; King Finders I'm seeing as 81st, 72nd (tie) and 70th (tie).

Due to the dynamic nature of the page and my lack of web page building skills, the frame that contains the dynamic standings HTML doesn't resize on browser font size change, so if you have a large font size, it may overflow the box and get chopped off at the bottom. :ph34r:

Here's a pic of oldhippy's Jenny, the Traveling Love Bug TB. oldhippy is holding VWDave's and keewee's Hippie Bus Racers!

a26955b9-4179-43cc-802a-c85efceee07c.jpg

:D Congratulations to all of the racers that made it to the big event! :ph34r:

Thanks for the pick up rivercity!!! Don't know if I would have made it otherwise. :)

New mission now required...

Ok, finally pulling down the FINAL standings for the race, just a matter of weeding out logs after the event weekend, and seeing who all made it to the event and got pics! :D

Don't forget that any entrant in the race is entitled to a race-only edition of the Hippie Bus pin, still got a pile of 'em to mail out to folks that haven't sent me a snail-mail address.

Ok, finally pulling down the FINAL standings for the race, just a matter of weeding out logs after the event weekend, and seeing who all made it to the event and got pics! :D

Don't forget that any entrant in the race is entitled to a race-only edition of the Hippie Bus pin, still got a pile of 'em to mail out to folks that haven't sent me a snail-mail address.

You should have my address but if you don't let me know.

Ok, finally pulling down the FINAL standings for the race, just a matter of weeding out logs after the event weekend, and seeing who all made it to the event and got pics! :)

You should have my address but if you don't let me know.

Oh yeah, guess I've got yours on file from the PGR :D I'll send it out with the first batch of winning coins, so probably early next week.

Ok, finally pulling down the FINAL standings for the race, just a matter of weeding out logs after the event weekend, and seeing who all made it to the event and got pics! :)

Thanks again for all your hard work with this race!! It was lots of fun!! :):D

Thanks again for all your hard work with this race!! It was lots of fun!! :D:D

Absolutely agree. Even though we lost 2 of the 3 coins, it was fun to watch and see what happened with everyone else's. Thanks for all the fun Dan, and the cool pin! :)

At long last, time to announce the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento winners!!!!

Fun facts and figures:

33 racers made it to GW6 (at least according to logs, may have been more that were not properly logged through the event)

33 racers had their picture taken.

2 racers had more than 30 pics!

Without further ado, here are the winners!

Miles

1 VWDave

2 bvnlj

3 ncbiscuit

Caches

1 accordiongal

2 PengoFamily

3 Go Girl

Regions

1-tie Dhenninger

1-tie tw3nty3ight

3-tie Team Jsam

3-tie htomc42

3-tie coreynjoey

3-tie Avroair

Pictures - Qty

1 horsegeeks

2 PengoFamily

3 DrJeepStr

Pictures - Qual

1 htomc42

2 AtlantaGal

3 usyoopers

Pictures @ GW

CinemaBoxers

dream_chaser

Maingray

PengoFamily

Least miles

The Alethiometrists

keewee

vortexecho

Most discoveries

creacher

Last entrant

Cool_navigator

Racer movers - Oct

rampantbear

Mrs.Buddhaman

Racer movers - Nov

Piperpilot66

CacheUMan

Racer movers - Dec

Gaiter Man

mcguy75

Racer movers - Jan

NEWZERBOY

ChucKremer

Racer movers - Feb

porknbeans

EmsKimmee19

Racer movers - Mar

pjacklam

KBEAKERS

Racer movers - Apr

sin nombre

Shilo

Racer movers - May

bthomas

Edgar Allan Gump

I'll be attempting to contact the winners via profile contact, PM and/or email.

If you are a winner and reading this thread, feel free to contact me with your mailing address at: HippieBusRace at MacFlye dot com

Also, even if you didn't rank high enough to win a prize, you are entitled to the "race only" edition of the Hippie Bus pin, send email to same address above if you'd like your pin. Also send an email if you don't want the pin, so I can pass the pin along to someone else instead.

Winners that I don't hear from after a few weeks of attempting to contact may have their prizes given to the next person down the list, so don't procrastinate like your race coordinator!! :laughing:

Without further ado, here are the winners!

Caches

1 accordiongal

2 PengoFamily

3 Go Girl

Woo-hoo! My girl won. She is so excited. We're happy one of our 3 made it.

Thank you Dan for everything on this race. It was super fun. And thank you to all who made the great effort to get our racers to GW VI! We had fun following along!

w00t!!! :):):laughing:

Congrats to all the winners!!

Kudos to Dan!!

Hmm, looks like I may have hit my quota for emails through profile contact info for the day, doh! :laughing:

About half way down the list and hit the wall, hopefully the restriction lifts in 24 hours and I can send the other half of the notices out over the weekend.