Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento

dflye

Anything is better than the ongoing rain we've had and will continue to have. :wub:

Come on down here and cache some in North Carolina. We could certainly use the rain. Our 5-star canoe access only caches are turning into park-and-grabs.

Anyway, back to the races! I'm probably going to try to pick up another few from the NCGO Fall Fling 2nd Hippie Bus Launch. I saw another one in dflye's post about drilling that had a GasCans GeoDiesel along for the ride. Who else is doing the 'attach two coins together' thing?

Yikes Scott that is dry. :D We've had nothing but record setting rain here all year. Normally we are close to drought also. We're supposed to be blaming the weather on El Nina this year. Which means a cold winter but less precip so next spring it will be probably be drought conditions again.

Wish we had thought of adding something to the coin as well. Your coin would have been great for sure - lol. I’ve noticed on recent TBs we’ve picked up that some folks do attach their own tag to the chain. I like this idea. Maybe our buses will swing up this way and we can add some stuff. Next race for sure.

Almost time for the 2nd launch of the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento! :ph34r:

50 racers motored into the NCGO Fall Fling 2007 event, ready for the flag to drop and hit the road on Saturday!

If your racer was one of the affected racers, the race standings should reflect the miles traveled from GCF NC to the Fall Fling.

Wouldn't these make some nifty necklaces? :surprise:

BunchOfRacers.jpg

Almost time for the 2nd launch of the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento! :ph34r:

50 racers motored into the NCGO Fall Fling 2007 event, ready for the flag to drop and hit the road on Saturday!

If your racer was one of the affected racers, the race standings should reflect the miles traveled from GCF NC to the Fall Fling.

Wouldn't these make some nifty necklaces? :surprise:

BunchOfRacers.jpg

Just look at that!!!!!

The NCGO Fall Fling turned out to be a great event, as expected, and a great place for the numerous smoking hippie buses to start their meandering journey to GW6! :)

Even drilled and tagged one last entrant that was registered but lost in the confusion at GCF NC, but turned up at the event today just in time! :)

Passed out some hippie peace sign necklaces (courtesy of one race entrants, HUGE THANKS! :) ) and then gave a bunch to creacher to pass out as long as the recipient posed for a pic, so should have some amusing photos turn up sometime soon!

Also passed out the official hippie bus pin, courtesy of Oakcoins, to any race entrant that was at the event. Don't have a picture of one handy, but maybe someone from the event got a decent pic of someone wearing one.

If you are a registered race entrant and are interested in receiving this pin, send me your snail mail address (as while I may have envelope you mailed your racer to me in, I know some folks have different shipping vs receiving addresses) and whether you'd be interested in trading a coin or two at the same time (not required to receive a pin, just me trying to thin out my trading binder :) ) If you are not interested in your pin, please let me know so that I can add it to the prize pool.

Racer standings page updated, a goodly number of the racers have been logged out of Saturday's event with some of them already finding homes in caches. For about half-dozen recently placed racers, mileage on GC hasn't updated yet so they are still showing the distance traveled to their prior location; this should clear up tomorrow once the nightly automated mileage recalc on the GC side happens and then I go hunt for the latest numbers.

After getting back from a weekend on the road, just now realizing that my basement office is finally free of clouds of blue smoke! <_<:(

Question for the race participants.

I know its early yet but my daughter's racer just got dropped into an event that is not going to happen till November 11th. Aside from sitting for over two weeks, we've had little luck with our coins & TBs at events. They tend to go missing and I totally get why.

I plan to add to our race pages no events please since the bus is in a race. Might even indicate event logs will be deleted. A bit harsh I know but I want the kids to have fun with this race. :)

Would it be out of line to ask the person to drop it in a cache instead of the event? What do you guys think?

Was thinking I'd misread which racer was dropped into an event, as I was pretty sure it was yours, not Go Girl's. After catching up on processing log notify emails, I just realized all THREE of your racers are dropped into upcoming event caches! :) One of them is this Wednesday, and the other two are on the same day in November, yet your bugs were both dropped in by the same cacher. Guess he's planning on attending both? <_<

Yeah, event caches are indeed an issue, still one racer from the GCF event that hasn't been logged out. Used a sign-out sheet at the Fall Fling, that worked out a LOT better.

You may want to request that they only hand the bug off to someone they know, rather than just chucking it onto the TB pile in some secluded corner of the event location. :antenna:

Good luck!

Question for the race participants.

I know its early yet but my daughter's racer just got dropped into an event that is not going to happen till November 11th. Aside from sitting for over two weeks, we've had little luck with our coins & TBs at events. They tend to go missing and I totally get why.

I plan to add to our race pages no events please since the bus is in a race. Might even indicate event logs will be deleted. A bit harsh I know but I want the kids to have fun with this race. :)

Would it be out of line to ask the person to drop it in a cache instead of the event? What do you guys think?

Its your racer, do what you want :antenna:

I understand what you mean about them sitting and then the event process. Many, many coins get lost or never logged. I might put the note on my racer about no events. Well wait my racer has been to two events already :)

It's been discovered 4 times but still not logged out <_<

Its your racer, do what you want :antenna:

I understand what you mean about them sitting and then the event process. Many, many coins get lost or never logged. I might put the note on my racer about no events. Well wait my racer has been to two events already :)

It's been discovered 4 times but still not logged out <_<

On the racer sign-out sheet for that event, beside your racer there is the name of a local cacher jotted down who isn't a newbie, just may not be the fastest logger in town. :)

Was thinking I'd misread which racer was dropped into an event, as I was pretty sure it was yours, not Go Girl's. After catching up on processing log notify emails, I just realized all THREE of your racers are dropped into upcoming event caches! :) One of them is this Wednesday, and the other two are on the same day in November, yet your bugs were both dropped in by the same cacher. Guess he's planning on attending both? :)

Yeah, event caches are indeed an issue, still one racer from the GCF event that hasn't been logged out. Used a sign-out sheet at the Fall Fling, that worked out a LOT better.

You may want to request that they only hand the bug off to someone they know, rather than just chucking it onto the TB pile in some secluded corner of the event location. <_<

Good luck!

Yikes! I missed that on the other two. Thanks for the heads up Dan.

Starting at an event is fine but to dump them in events when the event is down the road isn't working for me. :antenna:

Starting at an event is fine but to dump them in events when the event is down the road isn't working for me. :antenna:

Boy, you must have sent out some persuasive email, just saw two of the TBs popped out of the caches in November! <_<

Wonder which local 4/4 or greater cache they'll show up in now! :):)

Boy, you must have sent out some persuasive email, just saw two of the TBs popped out of the caches in November! <_<

Wonder which local 4/4 or greater cache they'll show up in now! :):lol:

I know. :lol: One must bear the consequences of one's actions. :)

I did it for the kids. They are so excited about the race and I hate to disappoint them and tell them their TBs are sitting in events for weeks at a time. The other TB will be taken back out of the event by the one who placed it, after the event tonight.

I added language to our pages. Hope it helps. B)

Both of the cachers in question are very prolific (3K plus finds each, I'm pretty sure), so odds are they'll be leaving them in either a cache a good drive from their native area, or something that was recently placed and would likely see a decent amount of cachers in short period of time. :antenna:

Although there was a recently listed 5/5 cache out here that hasn't seen a lot of traffic yet (imagine that! <_< ) The Madness of A.S. :):)

How is everybody's racers doing?

Mine hasn't moved yet. :D

Did you annouce at the event that these were suppose to travel :D ? Mine has been sitting in a cache for over a month :D . I am guessing that it is missing :D ?

I grabbed yours the end of October, moved it 800 miles and dropped it where it was just picked up again last week :D

Did you annouce at the event that these were suppose to travel :D ? Mine has been sitting in a cache for over a month :D . I am guessing that it is missing :D ?

What 'cha talking about Damenace!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1333014

has been to Pennsylvania and then on to Mississippi where it was picked up just last week.

:D:D

What 'cha talking about Damenace!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1333014

has been to Pennsylvania and then on to Mississippi where it was picked up just last week.

:D:D

Sorry had it confused with this one:

Damenace's Initial Point Premier Geocoin Race II Winner!!!!

The standings are running a little behind at the moment, got swamped with work trying to get ready to head out of town on vacation...we're in transit down I-95 today, but hopefully get caught up with processing racer logs in next few nights.

Biggest challenge is going to be cleaning up the logs of various racer that have been traveling with cachers who are dipping the racers into multiple caches in the same day. Should have printed that rule on the racer tag in BIG LETTERS apparently. :D:D:D:D

So in some cases, the racer's standings are where they were last known to have been picked up by a "dipper", and I'm waiting for the dipping to cease before even attempting to sort out their position.

Biggest challenge is going to be cleaning up the logs of various racer that have been traveling with cachers who are dipping the racers into multiple caches in the same day. Should have printed that rule on the racer tag in BIG LETTERS apparently. :D:D:D:D

Dan - Just to clarify, dipping does not count at all even if it is over a series of days, right? I think one of ours has been seen at different places on different days but still in the hands of one person.

So the only counted cache or accumulated miles is from where the TB was picked up by a cacher and the cache where it leaves that cacher's hands? I think that is right. :D

Have a fun vacation! :D

Edited by GPX Navigators

Mine hasn't moved since it's first drop :(

Mine hasn't moved either. :(:(

And if I'm not mistaken, yours:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1333263

has moved from the staring line to West Virginia, where it's sitting in someone's caching bag for 2+ weeks.

:(

What's up?

Meaning it got picked up from the event and dropped in a cache but never moved after that! ;)

:o Do you remember that river comment :) ????

:D:D:D:D:D:D HEHEHEHEHEHEHE, paybacks!!!!!!!!!! :(:D;):lol::):lol:

Biggest challenge is going to be cleaning up the logs of various racer that have been traveling with cachers who are dipping the racers into multiple caches in the same day. Should have printed that rule on the racer tag in BIG LETTERS apparently. :blink::D;)B)

Dan - Just to clarify, dipping does not count at all even if it is over a series of days, right? I think one of ours has been seen at different places on different days but still in the hands of one person.

So the only counted cache or accumulated miles is from where the TB was picked up by a cacher and the cache where it leaves that cacher's hands? I think that is right. :D

Have a fun vacation! B)

Finally back from vacation and catching up on this thread, next up will be the huge backlog of racer log notices. :D

If the racer was physically left overnight in a regular cache, I'm thinking of allowing that as a valid move since the racer had the opportunity to move along with another cacher before the same person theoretically returned to the cache to pick up the racer and move it further.

Once I get caught up on logs, I'll have a better idea of how prevalent the problem is, and whether the rules should be amended to clarify what moves will count towards the standings.

Biggest challenge is going to be cleaning up the logs of various racer that have been traveling with cachers who are dipping the racers into multiple caches in the same day. Should have printed that rule on the racer tag in BIG LETTERS apparently. :unsure::):anicute::unsure:

So the only counted cache or accumulated miles is from where the TB was picked up by a cacher and the cache where it leaves that cacher's hands? I think that is right. ;)

Have a fun vacation! :)

Finally back from vacation and catching up on this thread, next up will be the huge backlog of racer log notices. :anibad:

If the racer was physically left overnight in a regular cache, I'm thinking of allowing that as a valid move since the racer had the opportunity to move along with another cacher before the same person theoretically returned to the cache to pick up the racer and move it further.

Once I get caught up on logs, I'll have a better idea of how prevalent the problem is, and whether the rules should be amended to clarify what moves will count towards the standings.

Lot of work without a data scraper (against the TOS?) / something to automagically interrogate the watchlist email, I'd probably just ignore anything but the first cache drop for mileage by someone who drops the racer into more than one cache. Or just allow dipping. Eighty TBs is a lot to manually nursemaid through.

Anything we can do to help with the updating process?

:lol::santa:

Only about 200 log notice emails behind after rebuilding my laptop recently with a new hard drive. Just need to replace the busted power adaptor now, as my wife is getting fed up with me borrowing the power adaptor to her laptop all the time. :santa:

Ho ho ho! :)

Race standings updated (only about 400 or so log messages behind when I started catching up this weekend :D )

Several well traveled racers have lurched to the head of the pack, but still plenty of time for things to change between now and the end of the race. :mad:

Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento Standings

Switching from working (slacking?) at home to go back to a regular daytime office job at the start of the year, have to see if that improves my race upkeep. :):mad: