Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento

dflye

Looks likemine still hasn't arrived. :) Maybe they thought it was suposed to go straight to Sacramento? Hmmm

;) Well, if they don't show up by Friday, I can activate and adopt a hippie bus to ya, but I don't have a Fillmore bus laying around, unfortunately.

If anyone is there Saturday would they please take a picture of my 3 Racers when they're tagged and ready to go? I've got to go to Va on Friday and really hate I'm going to misss this one

Not sure I'll have my good camera with me on Saturday, wife & son are spending most of the day at the school's fall festival (poor timing on their part! :laughing: ) and I'm thinking she'll be taking pics.

Edited by dflye

Looks like mine still hasn't arrived. :P Maybe they thought it was suposed to go straight to Sacramento? Hmmm

:P Well, if they don't show up by Friday, I can activate and adopt a hippie bus to ya, but I don't have a Fillmore bus laying around, unfortunately.

Thanks Dan! I sure hope that I don't have to take you up on your offer. I put too much work into adding that air conditioning!! :laughing::lol:

Looks like mine still hasn't arrived. :laughing: Maybe they thought it was suposed to go straight to Sacramento? Hmmm

:lol: Well, if they don't show up by Friday, I can activate and adopt a hippie bus to ya, but I don't have a Fillmore bus laying around, unfortunately.

Thanks Dan! I sure hope that I don't have to take you up on your offer. I put too much work into adding that air conditioning!! :P:P

LB4T - I have one I can send to dflye tomorrow for ya. It should get there in 2 days. LMK. :D

Looks likemine still hasn't arrived. :D Maybe they thought it was suposed to go straight to Sacramento? Hmmm

:D that stinks

Still waiting for mine too...sad I probably won't make the deadline... :laughing:

No great harm in having a racer released after the launch event, biggest hurdle is that if it wants all the tags attached it probably needs to get routed through NC so I can have my way with it in my little shop of geocoin horrors. :lol:

That and get the starting mileage set so that it has about the same distance to travel to GW6 as the rest of the racers. Don't need to be launching those hippies in Haight-Ashbury! :P

"Not the drill! I'll be a good little coin! Noooooooooooooooo!!!! " :P

Pulling into the driveway late this afternoon after a long morning full of meetings and afternoon of errand running, smelled a very distinct aroma wafting from the mailbox! :o

Hmm, had I smelled this before? Seemed oddly familiar.... B)

Open it up, and what do I find? Not just one or two packages with hippie racers, but 4 packages with a total of 8 racers! :shocked::D:)

Including the long-lost smoke-infused (but oh-so-well ventilated!) "LadyBee4T's Hippie Bus Chugging Along the Road to Sacramento" racer! :)

SomethingSmokin.jpg

The 4 die-cast Fillmore racers are the first to arrive with that particular modification, very nifty looking! :D

Glad to see that the graffiti on the roof of the one racer was painted by someone who actually knows how to spell Sacramento, unlike the addled Race Coordinator! :o

Pulling into the driveway late this afternoon after a long morning full of meetings and afternoon of errand running, smelled a very distinct aroma wafting from the mailbox! :shocked:

Hmm, had I smelled this before? Seemed oddly familiar.... :o

Open it up, and what do I find? Not just one or two packages with hippie racers, but 4 packages with a total of 8 racers! :D:D:D

Including the long-lost smoke-infused (but oh-so-well ventilated!) "LadyBee4T's Hippie Bus Chugging Along the Road to Sacramento" racer! :D

SomethingSmokin.jpg

The 4 die-cast Fillmore racers are the first to arrive with that particular modification, very nifty looking! :o

Glad to see that the graffiti on the roof of the one racer was painted by someone who actually knows how to spell Sacramento, unlike the addled Race Coordinator! :D

YIPEE!! They made it! I said it was chugging along (hmmm like a turtle!) LOL

I like the modifications to those other buses too.

Hope you enjoyed the smoke! :):)B)

Now this is getting exciting. Well we would like to follow avroair for awhile be cause food is scarce and if he is running over things for road kill, we have the shovel. :o

Not sure what the health inspectors are going to say when they catch you cooking squirrels on your roasty-toasty warm engine block while driving! :shocked:

Man... Oh, like wow... Man... It's like just so amazing, man. I'm like... like... like totally blown away... man.

It's just so freaking me out! I just can't like... like wow man... I can't believe it.

It's just so amazing! I like... like... Oh wow man, this is like... oh wowww.

Man.

Oh, I like need some air... like... I mean like this has just never happened to me like before. Ever!

Oh man, like is this for real? You ain't just tripping with me are you man... Oh man, I still like... like...

Oh wow - this is better like than an Iron Butterfly concert. This is so totally spacing me OUT!

I, like, wow - I can't believe that I'm still like there.. like, it's just so, like heavy man. Very heavy!

I mean like, this ain't no bad scene man.

I like can't believe it - some cool cat has me in like first place man - FIRST FRICKEN PLACE!! I like totally can't believe I'm still like in FIRST PLACE MAN.. after like... like... it's gotta be months man - MONTHS! And I'm still in FRICKEN FIRST PLACE. Oh wow this is HEAVY!

FIRST PLACE! WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ain't gonna be no squares catching me... like I'm in first place man! Oh yeah!

Like pass the doooooooobeeeeeeeeeee man... first place. Oh yeah. That establishment ain't comin anywhere like near me! Wooo hooo.... seeya mr. fuzz man. Oh yeahhhh.

Yeah!

And like remember dudes and dudesses - watch out for the system... like don't let them squares get to you man. Like lets split this crazy scene.

Peace and Love

keeeeeweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :laughing:

Edited by keewee

Here's a sample pic of the front and back of the proposed laminated racer tag for a coin entrant...speak now or forever hold your peace! The tag for non-coin entrants will change the word "geocoin" to "travel bug".

The blank spot in the upper corners is where the tag will be punched and a grommet inserted. The extra whitespace on the front will be used for racers whose name is longer than one line.

HippieTagSample.jpg

Pulling into the driveway late this afternoon after a long morning full of meetings and afternoon of errand running, smelled a very distinct aroma wafting from the mailbox! :sad:

Hmm, had I smelled this before? Seemed oddly familiar.... :grin:

Open it up, and what do I find? Not just one or two packages with hippie racers, but 4 packages with a total of 8 racers! :P:sad::(

Including the long-lost smoke-infused (but oh-so-well ventilated!) "LadyBee4T's Hippie Bus Chugging Along the Road to Sacramento" racer! ;)

SomethingSmokin.jpg

The 4 die-cast Fillmore racers are the first to arrive with that particular modification, very nifty looking! :P

Glad to see that the graffiti on the roof of the one racer was painted by someone who actually knows how to spell Sacramento, unlike the addled Race Coordinator! :(

I went for the Surf Board look when riveting them to the tops of My VW vans. pretty cool seeing them with some other bugs.

The race is on! Well, sort of.... :)

Racer assembly and tagging turned out to take FAR longer than planned, and in combination with all the prep work for hosting the GCF NC event, not all racers dropped into the event were actually drilled / tagged by the time the last cacher left, even with the "assembly line" of volunteers manning stations for the various steps along the way to produce a drilled racer, a laminated racer info tag and then assemble them all together with the metal "keep me moving" tag (and any entrant provided riders)

Since I'm still unpacking from the event / race launch, I don't yet have an accurate list of which racers made it to the end of the assembly line and left with another cacher. Somewhere around half of those registered prior to this weekend, I believe. I've got individual pics of about 30 racers taken atop the event wooden "coin" log (names etched with a woodburner tool), once I'm a little bit more caught up, I'll make those available. Cropped, matted, shrunk and tracking code obscured sample below:

SampleRacerOnGCFNCEventCoin.jpg

My plan is to complete the work on the un-released racers over the next two weeks, and bring them to the NCGOs Fall Fling event (GC13QCF), as that should have a good crowd to give a fair distribution of the coins, rather then me just dropping a bunch in nearby caches to where I live. I'm working up ideas on the compensation the left-behind racers would be eligible for, basically comp them points towards one of the three main categories (thinking they can pick to add 1 state, 2 caches or 150 miles travelled), in addition to the miles they would log for going from the GCF NC event to the Fall Fling event.

Thanks again for those taking part in the race, very sorry for those whose racer got left behind as the others pulled away in a cloud of blue smoke. Hopefully the bumps in the road will be smoothed out soon!

Got my Hippie Bus and Biofuel ready for the race!

Volkswagen-VW-Hippie-Flower-Van-Art-Print-Poster.jpg

Well, now that I've entered the race, I was thinking the other day that I had a really good idea for this contest... but seems like Avroair already had the same idea! I knew there was a reason I liked you, man!!!

wsgaskins Hippie Bus Racer with a Full GasCan -- ready to rock and roll!

Cool idea guys! Wish I had thought of that. Next gas coin you make Scott, I'm getting extras, just in case! There's always GW7 right?

The race is on! Well, sort of.... :P

Racer assembly and tagging turned out to take FAR longer than planned, and in combination with all the prep work for hosting the GCF NC event, not all racers dropped into the event were actually drilled / tagged by the time the last cacher left, even with the "assembly line" of volunteers manning stations for the various steps along the way to produce a drilled racer, a laminated racer info tag and then assemble them all together with the metal "keep me moving" tag (and any entrant provided riders)

Since I'm still unpacking from the event / race launch, I don't yet have an accurate list of which racers made it to the end of the assembly line and left with another cacher. Somewhere around half of those registered prior to this weekend, I believe. I've got individual pics of about 30 racers taken atop the event wooden "coin" log (names etched with a woodburner tool), once I'm a little bit more caught up, I'll make those available. Cropped, matted, shrunk and tracking code obscured sample below:

SampleRacerOnGCFNCEventCoin.jpg

My plan is to complete the work on the un-released racers over the next two weeks, and bring them to the NCGOs Fall Fling event (GC13QCF), as that should have a good crowd to give a fair distribution of the coins, rather then me just dropping a bunch in nearby caches to where I live. I'm working up ideas on the compensation the left-behind racers would be eligible for, basically comp them points towards one of the three main categories (thinking they can pick to add 1 state, 2 caches or 150 miles travelled), in addition to the miles they would log for going from the GCF NC event to the Fall Fling event.

Thanks again for those taking part in the race, very sorry for those whose racer got left behind as the others pulled away in a cloud of blue smoke. Hopefully the bumps in the road will be smoothed out soon!

Wow Dan. Quite the log you had there. Neat idea.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this and to all who helped on the assemlby line. We 3 here sure appreciate it and look forward to the vans chugging west to their destination. :) Far out man!

Hippie buses have been seen chugging around various parts of the country, looks like the peace loving migration to Sacramento has started! :sad:

While the majority of the race website has yet to be updated, the Standings page now lists ALL known racers, whether they have been released or are still in the shop. About the only other change is to the Rules page, which are now numbered for easy reference on the "Racer Status" tab on the Standings page. ;)

With the exception of a very small handful of racers, all others not yet released have been drilled, tagged and are ready for release at the NCGO Fall Fling event on Saturday, October 20th.

The winner of the Hippie Procrastination prize has yet to be selected, and the photo categories are pending as well. I'd look up the definition of procrastination for y'all, but I'm afraid they'd just have a mirror on that page in the dictionary! :yikes:

Dontcha just hate it when folks dont READ the info on the tag attached to your vehicles?! ;)

Mine was picked up today and is headed to EUROPE! :huh:

Well, at least it should get some good mileage.

Hmmm, maybe it was that hippie instinct drawing it towards the coffee shops of Amsterdam. :P

Dontcha just hate it when folks dont READ the info on the tag attached to your vehicles?! :D

Mine was picked up today and is headed to EUROPE! :D

Hmmm, maybe it was that hippie instinct drawing it towards the coffee shops of Amsterdam. :D

:D:D:D

Also if it bounces around it'll collect "states" or whatever unique territory names the GC site assigns to the regions of the different EU countries.

So after drilling a bunch of buses tonight, strung them onto a wire to make sure all the owner-drilled racers were up to spec, here's the whole pack idling around the track... just noticed one of them ended up wrong-side up in the pic, I think AtlantaGal's racer already crashed, looks like the hole she drilled through the window got the driver! :D

HoleyTest.jpg

Well what do you know, it appears as if I am still ahead of Avroair :D !!! I am pretty sure this will remain true for the duration of the race :D !!!

Maybe his bus will get stuck in a snow storm :D ?

And now that the race has actually started you are still ahead of Avroair... but only just!! :D

Dontcha just hate it when folks dont READ the info on the tag attached to your vehicles?! :D

Hmmm, maybe it was that hippie instinct drawing it towards the coffee shops of Amsterdam. :D

Congratulations! :D

Maybe if you email the person and ask them to not take it to Europe. That worked for one of mine when it was within 50 miles of its goal and the person said they were taking it to Japan...

Anything is better than the ongoing rain we've had and will continue to have. :D

Come on down here and cache some in North Carolina. We could certainly use the rain. Our 5-star canoe access only caches are turning into park-and-grabs.

See my log here for a canoe-only-access cache:

30c4a523-fadf-4bbc-8613-a110e7d0380e.jpg

Anyway, back to the races! I'm probably going to try to pick up another few from the NCGO Fall Fling 2nd Hippie Bus Launch. I saw another one in dflye's post about drilling that had a GasCans GeoDiesel along for the ride. Who else is doing the 'attach two coins together' thing?

Ok, just finished posting a pic for each of the racers (well, except for one that was camera shy and one that is AWOL with an unresponding cacher and untagged at the moment)

The posted pics are cropped and shrunk down to about 600 x 600 and any legible tracking numbers were scrubbed out.

Let me know if you'd like a copy of the original pic for your racer, which for the ones taken after the event are clutter-free; the ones taken at the event have junk strewn in all directions around the wooden nickel. :D The full sized images are 3264 x 2448 (approx 3.3 MB file size), although with the event ones a lot of that is background.

Anyway, back to the races! I'm probably going to try to pick up another few from the NCGO Fall Fling 2nd Hippie Bus Launch. I saw another one in dflye's post about drilling that had a GasCans GeoDiesel along for the ride. Who else is doing the 'attach two coins together' thing?

There will be plenty to go 'round, that's for sure! :D

Only a handful of the racers had a 2nd trackable attached (five I think), several others had Pathtags attached and several had figures or keychain type items attached.

Now I have to figure out how to lug about 50 of these things around at the event on Saturday. :D

There will be plenty to go 'round, that's for sure! :D

Only a handful of the racers had a 2nd trackable attached (five I think), several others had Pathtags attached and several had figures or keychain type items attached.

Now I have to figure out how to lug about 50 of these things around at the event on Saturday. :wub:

Lots of tow trucks