Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento

dflye

Well my souped up racer is on its way to dflye, I hope the nitro packs make it there in time.

Quick question, I don't know if this was in the rules or not. If we come across our own Hippie bus in the wild are we allowed to move it, touch it or give it a good wash. Just wondering, because I would frown upon it man, if that were to happen.

What is a race without.....

Prizes!!!

So I received a variety of hippy buses in the mail today from different teams, one bus arrived with a LARGE amount of contraband that THE MAN is going to use as prizes.

Once they are done dusting for fingerprints, I'll see if I can get a few pictures of the loot.

Good luck in the race, looks like there will be some great prizes at the finish line!! :D

Ok, back from visiting THE MAN at the station, borrowed the contraband evidence long enough for a quick picture with some other coin prizes for the race winners, hardest part was getting the hippie to put his shirt back on after the picture was taken. So if you win a prize and it is a bit.....fragrant, now you know why! :D:D:D

HippiePrizes20070901.jpg

Here's who has registered so far...
  1. keewee #1 (racer recieved)
  2. keewee #2 (racer recieved)
  3. rattusbaggus (racer recieved)
  4. AtlantaGal (racer activated, not yet received)
  5. tw3nty3ight (racer activated, not yet received)
  6. Avroair (activated racer received)
  7. GPX Navigators
  8. Go Girl
  9. King Finder
  10. Damenace (racer activated, not yet received)
  11. Mauison (activated racer received)
  12. usyoopers
  13. Moozer
  14. ParentsofSAM #1
  15. ParentsofSAM #2
  16. SAMrGRITS #1
  17. SAMrGRITS #2
  18. bvnlj #1
  19. bvnlj #2
  20. 007BigD
  21. horsegeeks
  22. Dhenninger
  23. Meg Ryan
  24. rivercity
  25. sillygirl & jrr
  26. medic208 #1
  27. medic208 #2
  28. creacher (racer activated, not yet received)
  29. Team Jsam
  30. Steel City Babes (racer activated, not yet received)
  31. solan109 (activated racer received)
  32. Vegas Gamblers (racer activated, not yet received)
  33. Accordiangal
  34. LadeBear68
  35. LadyBee4T #1
  36. LadyBee4T #2
  37. dflye (activated racer received)

38. coreynjoey
  39. Billwolf1
  40. Mama Cache
  41. sfwife
  42. (your name here, still time to join the race!)

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :anicute:

Updated the list (and external site) again.

External site now has more details on some of the race rules and prize distribution, and the race is getting closer to having an event to drop racers into once they are in the hands of the Race Coordinator.

If you have information on the current status/whereabouts of your racer, please forward the information to the Race Coordinator at HippieBusRace@MacFlye.com

Thanks!

Edited by dflye

The "Road to Sacramento" hippie bus does indeed appear to be out of stock at the geoswag store.

If you haven't yet acquired / ordered / traded for a hippie bus racer, you still have a few options on getting a bus to the starting line:

• Get a Swag Bus from A&EToys
  • Find someone who has an extra "Road to Sacramento" bus available for trade, and do the deal.
  • Steal a Fillmore McD Toy from some kid you know, and attach a TB dog-tag! :)

Here's a pic of Fillmore for those who somehow managed to miss seeing the movie Cars. :)

MCfillmore.jpg

For those of you who find embedding HTML markup tags inside the TB description a less than joyous event, here's the text I used for one of the racers I activated. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your racer pages and make whatever changes you want. Well, aside from promising more prizes for moving your racer instead of other racers. :):)

This coin is in a race with others.  It is <b>NOT</b> a trade item and is <b>NOT</b> meant to be kept by another cacher.<br><br>

The race begins in Raleigh, NC on October 6th, 2007 and ends at <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC134MJ" target="_new">GeoWoodstock VI (GC134MJ)</a> on May 28th, 2008. Please make sure all logs on this bug are entered no later that June 1st, 2008 or they won't count towards the race standings.<br><br>

<B><font color="green">Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:</font></b><BR>
<UL>
<LI>Greatest distance travelled
<LI>Most geocaches visited
<LI>Most states visited
<LI>Most points collected for suitable photographs posted with log entries
</UL>

<BR>
<B><font color="red">Found this item?  You could win a prize!</font></B><BR>
Any geocacher who logs this Hippie Bus racer when placing it in a cache other than the one it was found in is automatically entered into a monthly drawing for a prize!<BR><BR>
Please don't hold onto this racer even if you plan on attending GW6, unless you happen upon this racer less than a month prior to GW6 and are planning to attend.<BR><BR>
So if you found this travel bug, help my racer out wherever you can, and maybe you'll win a prize! Thanks!!<BR><BR>

<B>Hippie Bus Race to Sacremaneto</B><BR>
For more information on the race, such as racer standings, rules of the road, and photo contest categories, visit the <a href="http://macflye.com/HippieBusRace" target="_new">Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento</a> web site.

Here's who has registered so far...
  1. keewee #1 (activated racer received)
  2. keewee #2 (activated racer received)
  3. rattusbaggus (activated racer received)
  4. AtlantaGal (racer activated, not yet received)
  5. tw3nty3ight (racer activated, not yet received)
  6. Avroair (activated racer received)
  7. GPX Navigators
  8. Go Girl
  9. King Finder
  10. Damenace (racer activated, not yet received)
  11. Mauison (activated racer received)
  12. usyoopers
  13. Moozer
  14. ParentsofSAM #1
  15. ParentsofSAM #2
  16. SAMrGRITS #1
  17. SAMrGRITS #2
  18. bvnlj #1
  19. bvnlj #2
  20. 007BigD
  21. horsegeeks
  22. Dhenninger
  23. Meg Ryan
  24. rivercity
  25. sillygirl & jrr
  26. medic208 #1
  27. medic208 #2
  28. creacher (racer activated, not yet received)
  29. Team Jsam
  30. Steel City Babes (racer activated, not yet received)
  31. solan109 (activated racer received)
  32. Vegas Gamblers (activated racer received)
  33. Accordiongal
  34. LadeBear68
  35. LadyBee4T #1
  36. LadyBee4T #2
  37. dflye (activated racer received)
  38. coreynjoey
  39. Billwolf1
  40. Mama Cache
  41. sfwife
  42. glennk721
  43. Shilo
  44. VWDave #1
  45. VWDave #2
  46. VWDave #3
  47. Go JayBee
  48. (your name here, still time to join the race!)[/b]

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :D

Updated the list (and external site) again. Added a blog-like journal to keep track of race related ramblings.

If you have information on the current status/whereabouts of your racer, please forward the information to the Race Coordinator at HippieBusRace@MacFlye.com

Only 3 more positions remaining before all of the "boots" will be marked as reserved; any registrations received after that point will be put on a waiting list if any of the reserved ones go unclaimed.

International racers: Since there is just over a month until the launch event and the hippie bus racers are now out of stock, making it difficult to trade for a racer and get it to the launch event in time, I have several racers available for trade. This is for international registration only, as I only have a very small number in hand. Contact the Race Coordinator at HippieBusRace@MacFlye.com if you're interested.

Edited by dflye

For those of you who find embedding HTML markup tags inside the TB description a less than joyous event, here's the text I used for one of the racers I activated. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your racer pages and make whatever changes you want. Well, aside from promising more prizes for moving your racer instead of other racers. ;);)

This coin is in a race with others.  It is <b>NOT</b> a trade item and is <b>NOT</b> meant to be kept by another cacher.<br><br>

The race begins in Raleigh, NC on October 6th, 2007 and ends at <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC134MJ" target="_new">GeoWoodstock VI (GC134MJ)</a> on May 28th, 2008. Please make sure all logs on this bug are entered no later that June 1st, 2008 or they won't count towards the race standings.<br><br>

<B><font color="green">Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:</font></b><BR>
<UL>
<LI>Most states visited
</UL>

<BR>
Any geocacher who logs this Hippie Bus racer when placing it in a cache other than the one it was found in is automatically entered into a monthly drawing for a prize!<BR><BR>
Please don't hold onto this racer even if you plan on attending GW6, unless you happen upon this racer less than a month prior to GW6 and are planning to attend.<BR><BR>
So if you found this travel bug, help my racer out wherever you can, and maybe you'll win a prize! Thanks!!<BR><BR>

For more information on the race, such as racer standings, rules of the road, and photo contest categories, visit the <a href="http://macflye.com/HippieBusRace" target="_new">Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento</a> web site.

Why didn't you offer this prior to me activating my coin :D , it is so time consuming to build a page like this :D !!!

For those of you who find embedding HTML markup tags inside the TB description a less than joyous event, here's the text I used for one of the racers I activated. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your racer pages and make whatever changes you want. Well, aside from promising more prizes for moving your racer instead of other racers. ;);)

<UL>
<LI>Most states visited
</UL>

<BR>

Ok so do I copy and past this to dress up my page or how will this work. I am a child born in the sixties and grew up in the seventies. I am computer stupid so help me out, please.

Ok so do I copy and past this to dress up my page or how will this work. I am a child born in the sixties and grew up in the seventies. I am computer stupid so help me out, please.

Sure thing! ;)

First select and copy the text in the "code" snippet above so that you'll have it ready to paste a few steps later.

Next you need get to the travel bug page for your hippie bus racer; several ways to get there:

Once you have the detail page for your travel bug displayed:

• Click on the "Edit this item" link near the upper right corner.
  • Select the entire contents of the Description field.
  • Paste the snippet into the Description field to replace the existing text (which for your racer appears to not lose any racer-specific details)
  • Muck with the text as you see fit, some folks are adding additional notes meant for those who find the racer, such as "Don't place me in puzzle caches!"
  • Click on the Submit Changes button down at the bottom of the page, this will apply the edited description to your racer.
  • Click on the "Visit the Travel Bug Page" link up near the top.
  • Bask in the glory of a fully tricked out hippie bus racer page! :D

If you want to tweak the text a bunch, you may find yourself in a "rinse, lather, repeat" cycle of editing and then proofing your changes. The HTML language is a cold, heartless and unforgiving (sounds like my first wife! :D ), one challenge is knowing which tags need a "closing" tag, like <B> and </B> to boldify the enclosed text, and which tags are "singleton" tags, like <BR> to insert a newline.

Good luck!

"Ok so do I copy and past this to dress up my page or how will this work. I am a child born in the sixties (late 50's) and grew up in the seventies (sixties). I am computer stupid so help me out, please."

Thanks for helping explain my dilemia too Vegas Cachers. I'll give dyfle's help out a try......oh boy, I can already see a bunch of jibberish being attached to our coins ;)

Might want to edit for the spelling of Sacramento :laughing:

Might want to edit for the spelling of Sacramento :D

:laughing::D:ph34r: Ok, fixed the sample TB of mine, off to update a few other places! :ph34r:

Hmm, apparently I can't edit my code snippet above.

Edited by dflye

There are now 50 registered racers, a dozen of which have made their way into the hands of the Race Coordinator.

Now that we've hit 50 racers, at this time, newly registered racers (including additions to existing teams) will be placed on a waiting list to receive a "boot".

Updated the external site, too lazy to edit the list in this thread as well this time, so just go check out Hippie Race Standings

Also, while I wasn't able to edit the TB description snippet above to correct my misspelling of Sacramento, I have updated the copy in the race journal

I believe more Hippie buses will be available in a couple of weeks at geoswag.com

Depending upon how close to Oct 6th they become available for shipment, and the miles needed to travel from Utah to the race team's home and then to NC, it may be better to have newly ordered racers shipped directly to the Race Coordinator (as was done by keewee, although that was mostly due to the desire to avoid the delays and cost of international shipping twice! :) )

Ok, back from visiting THE MAN at the station, borrowed the contraband evidence long enough for a quick picture with some other coin prizes for the race winners, hardest part was getting the hippie to put his shirt back on after the picture was taken. So if you win a prize and it is a bit.....fragrant, now you know why! :):):)

HippiePrizes20070901.jpg

Any other hippie related coins we can donate?

Fragglestock? lol

Steal your Face?

Reposting the race blurb, now that the race launch has been determined to be part of the GeocoinFest Multi Event (North Carolina) event.

Now that the kids have headed off to school, it is time for the tie-dye to come out of the closet and the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento to begin!

This race is intended to start on October 6, 2007 and end May 26, 2008 at the site of GeoWoodstock VI outside of Sacramento.

More detail and rules can be found at the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento web site.

If you would like to enter the race, please send an email to HippieBusRace@MacFlye.com that includes the following:

• Your gc profile name
  • How many racers you'd like to enter in the race
  • Indicate if you plan to attend GW6
  • Indicate if you plan to attend the race launch event (GCF NC GC14NR4)

At the time when I initially dreamed up this race, there was only one hippie bus available, and that bus has a GeoWoodstock theme. The race has been opened up to the AEToys Swag Bus and the Cars movie Fillmore McToy (with racer supplied TB dog-tag)

The first 50 registered racers have first chance at the available metal "keep me moving" tags that come from several different vendors, any extras or unused tags will be doled out based upon registration number. Ditto for the wire cable attachment upgrade over the standard pull-chain, one reserved for each of the first 50 registered racers, any past the cutoff will get one while supplies last.

Hope to see you and your hippie bus on the road soon!!

Still waiting for my bus to be built..thought I got the last 4, but just got notice that my order would be delayed. It will be awhile before Go JayBee gets into the starting line.

Yeah, they over sold them.

I have a spare unactivated one here that I can give you now and you can send me one when your order comes in if you want.

For those of you who find embedding HTML markup tags inside the TB description a less than joyous event, here's the text I used for one of the racers I activated. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your racer pages and make whatever changes you want. Well, aside from promising more prizes for moving your racer instead of other racers. ;):(

<UL>
<LI>Most states visited
</UL>

<BR>

Well as I stated I am computer stupid but I did get this to work without screwing up too many things. Thanks for the help.

For those of you who find embedding HTML markup tags inside the TB description a less than joyous event, here's the text I used for one of the racers I activated. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your racer pages and make whatever changes you want. Well, aside from promising more prizes for moving your racer instead of other racers. :(;)

<UL>
<LI>Most states visited
</UL>

<BR>

Well as I stated I am computer stupid but I did get this to work without screwing up too many things. Thanks for the help.

No "ID-10-T" errors? :)

Still waiting for my bus to be built..thought I got the last 4, but just got notice that my order would be delayed. It will be awhile before Go JayBee gets into the starting line.

Yeah, they over sold them.

I have a spare unactivated one here that I can give you now and you can send me one when your order comes in if you want.

I just found an extra one of these in the trade box. If anyone needs one I can send it direct to dflye for you. Just email or pm me. We can work something out. :(

Yep what they said.

We have an extra bus and if someone wants it they we will give them the code to activate and then we will mail it with our buses to the dflye.

I plan to mail mine to dflye in a week or so.

We can trade for your bus that is in the coming in the second shipment or trade for some other coin. ;)

For those of you who find embedding HTML markup tags inside the TB description a less than joyous event, here's the text I used for one of the racers I activated. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your racer pages and make whatever changes you want. Well, aside from promising more prizes for moving your racer instead of other racers. :):lol:

<UL>
<LI>Most states visited
</UL>

<BR>

No "ID-10-T" errors? :(

I only get called that error :) by wife.

Help please....I copied dflye's text content for the hippie bus and it turned out as one big paragraph.

When I go in to edit it, it looks like his but then I go and look at it through my inventory it is back to the paragraph.

How do you have color text, bold, underlines, etc...

should I be doing this in a word document and then copying it over perhaps???

Edited by bvnlj

Help please....I copied dflye's text content for the hippie bus and it turned out as one big paragraph.

When I go in to edit it, it looks like his but then I go and look at it through my inventory it is back to the paragraph.

Greets, I just copied and pasted the code, but must enter into the Description field hope that helps, Glenn

You need to copy the code snippet with the <B> and <BR> and suchlike tags in it. If you copy it from the TB page itself, it will lose all the formatting.

If that doesn't work, let me know, but the blow-by-blow steps up there for VG a few posts back hopefully should do the trick.

Received several more racers today, at this point about half or the registered racers have arrived. Had to upgrade the size of the "garage" I'm using to store the racers until the launch event! :anitongue:

There has been a little bit of confusion as to whether the race is still accepting new racers, so just wanted to clarify...

The race is still accepting new racers!!

:rolleyes:

The only initial limitation was on the number of metal tags/boots I'd have available to attach to racers that were willing to get drilled. That restriction has been lifted (well, at least raised past the initial 50 to somewhere in the 100+ range), as some gracious sponsors / donors are assisting in getting this race on the road! :D:D:D

Also, there may be additional race swag available for registered racers, more details to follow if things work out... :D:angry:

If you are interested in joining the race but do not have a racer: you have several options; scroll up to find a few that are available for trading; wait until they are back in stock at Geoswag in the near future; post here or the pinned trading thread to see if someone else has one available for trade/sale.

The Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento web site has been updated with the latest status of all registered racers.

If you don't see your name on the list (either because the Race Coordinator dropped the ball, or because you haven't sent in an email requesting to enter the race), send the usual info to HippieBusRace@MacFlye.com: gc name, number of racers you'd like to enter, if you plan to attend GW6, if you plan to attend the launch event.