Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento

dflye

Now that the kids have headed off to school, it is time for the tie-dye to come out of the closet and the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento to begin!

This race is intended to start on October 6, 2007 and end May 26, 2008 at the site of GeoWoodstock VI outside of Sacramento.

While the specific launch event details are still being ironed out, I wanted to get the word out about this race so that interested parties have time to acquire a Road to Sacramento Hippie Bus to enter in the race.

An initial web site with more detail and rules can be found at the Hippie Bus Race to Sacramento web site.

If you would like to enter the race, please send an email to HippieBusRace@MacFlye.com that includes the following:

• Your gc profile name
  • How many racers you'd like to enter in the race
  • Indicate if you plan to attend GW6
  • Indicate if you'd like to attend the race launch event (most likely to be held at the same location as the NC GeocoinFest event, see GC14NR4 for more info)

At the time when I initially dreamed up this race, there was only one hippie bus available, and that bus has a GeoWoodstock theme. I'm open to suggestions of whether the race should be opened to the new bus on the block.

Hope to see you and your hippie bus on the road soon!!

Another race! COOL!!

Count me in.

I have a couple of questions:

- will any Sacramento Hippie Bus do, or is it a specific one? (I know of two on the market currently)

- does one have to be going to GWS6 to be able to participate?

- can I have a 'boot' reserved for me?

- does "Hippie Bus" constitute only Hippie Bus geocoins, or any geocoin?

- how much is your kick back from the sale of hippie bus geocoins? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Craig

Another race! COOL!!

Count me in.

I have a couple of questions:

- will any Sacramento Hippie Bus do, or is it a specific one? (I know of two on the market currently)

Originally planned for just the "Road to Sacramento" coin, but this may change based upon interest in other bus coin(s).

- does one have to be going to GWS6 to be able to participate?

No need to show up at either the launch event or GW6 to participate.

- can I have a 'boot' reserved for me?

Certainly!

- does "Hippie Bus" constitute only Hippie Bus geocoins, or any geocoin?

The race may be opened up for the other "bus" coin, but not likely for any other coin that isn't at least vehicle shaped.

- how much is your kick back from the sale of hippie bus geocoins? :rolleyes:

<_<:rolleyes: I knew I forgot something!

Cheers,

Craig

I bought two of these so this is very tempting! I definately will not be at GeoWoodstock VI as I will probably be in the middle of a six month deployment. BUT I just might be able to go to Geocoinfest in NC! I was not even aware there was going to be one in NC!!

So are you going to post a list here of who has signed up?

Here's who has responded so far...

1. keewee
  2. AtlantaGal
  3. tw3nty3ight
  4. Avroair

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :rolleyes:

The tool I'm using to produce the pages apparently uses hefty sized images for their clipart, I need to reduce them down to manageable file sizes, I guess.

Here's who has responded registered so far...

1. keewee
  2. AtlantaGal
  3. tw3nty3ight
  4. Avroair

5. GPX Navigators
  6. Damenace
  7. Mauison
  8. usyoopers

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :rolleyes:

Updated the list (and external site) as the list of racers has doubled in size (yeah, still in the single digits, so the next doubling shouldn't be too hard)

Since I don't trust my wrench turning skills, I purchase mine with NOS installed from factory.

:anitongue:

They told me it would warp the heads!!!

Thats because NOS is not a fuel and some dont realize that...when used in moderation it can be applied sucessfully with out any major problems... I think Damenace got the LE which was built with forged pistons and treated rods. So the super charger was the way to go.

Im goin with a altered propane injection Turbo cummins conversion. But the BT4 4 cylinder version so I can go the distance without stopping for fuel all the time and did I mention I will be runnin on BioDiesel!

Im in! got 3 of these just before my dreaded geocoin anonymous take over!

I will be runnin on BioDiesel!

Im in! got 3 of these just before my dreaded geocoin anonymous take over!

I am gonna add my WSgaskins biodiesel coin to the hippie bus... two coins for the price of one... :anitongue:

Can you please redo the order of the initial list so it's alphabetical so I am nearer the top... :anitongue:

Here's who has registered so far...
  1. keewee
  2. AtlantaGal
  3. tw3nty3ight
  4. Avroair
  5. GPX Navigators
  6. Damenace
  7. Mauison
  8. usyoopers

9. Moozer
  10. ParentsofSAM #1
  11. ParentsofSAM #2
  12. SAMrGRITS #1
  13. SAMrGRITS #2
  14. bvnlj #1
  15. bvnlj #2
  16. 007BigD

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :anitongue:

Updated the list (and external site) as the list of racers has doubled in size again! If you count in hexadecimal, we're just barely out of the single digits, so the next doubling is certainly possible, but not sure if it will happen as fast as this last doubling (especially with all of the double entries recently! :anitongue: )

Can you please redo the order of the initial list so it's alphabetical so I am nearer the top... :rolleyes:

Hmm, now that 007BigD signed on, even with an alphabetic sort you're only looking at moving up one spot closer to the pole position at the start of the race...but I'm sure the boost from the WSGaskins gas can will shoot you past the other racers initially! :(

For anyone overseas wanting to take part - I suggest you do what I've just done - ordered my Hippie Bus coins from GeoSwag and have them shipped directly to Dan.

Dan - 3 Hippie Buses ordered and being shipped directly to you :anitongue:

Thanks

Edited by keewee

1. keewee #1

2. keewee #2
  3. rattusbaggus

4. AtlantaGal
  5. tw3nty3ight
  6. Avroair
  7. GPX Navigators

8. Go Girl
  9. King Finder

10. Damenace
  11. Mauison
  12. usyoopers
  13. Moozer
  14. ParentsofSAM #1
  15. ParentsofSAM #2
  16. SAMrGRITS #1
  17. SAMrGRITS #2
  18. bvnlj #1
  19. bvnlj #2
  20. 007BigD

21. horsegeeks
  22. Dhenninger
  23. Meg Ryan
  24. rivercity

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :anitongue:

Updated the list (and external site) as the number of racers has already reached the half-way point on the number of free "boots" provided for race entrants that want one attached to their racers. Any racers entered after position #50 will be on a waiting list to see if any higher placed racers decline to have a "boot" attached. Those not receiving a "boot" that want to be drilled/tagged will receive a standard TB pull-chain. I'll be real impressed if I run out of those, probably have a hundred or more of those laying around from using cables when attaching TB/coin dog-tags. :anitongue:

Note that your position may have shifted since the email you originally received from the Race Coordinator. Up until the time the 50th position is claimed, any racers added to an existing team will be inserted after the existing racer(s) for that team.

Keep those race entries coming, looking forward to lots of groovy bus names!

If I can use some of my Swag Bus's then add me to the list.

Jake

That is fine, I've previously contacted A&E Toys and they are fine with the inclusion of their Swag Buses in the race. If the Road to Sacramento hippie buses sell out soon, the Swag Bus will be the only bus alternative that I'm aware of! I'm not sure if geoswag has plans to remint the hippie bus, and if so, not sure if they'll be available prior to the race start.

BEEP..BEEP,

Here I come!!!! :blink:

TB1WGQE - plate number...Have to do a few modifications and she will be ready. :ph34r:

e-mail sent I won't be attending GW6 or the coinfest since I will hopefully be at the coinfest in PA...

Should the script for the current goal and description for all racers be the same...??? ( I used Atlantagal's plus some of my own wording) Let me know and I will update accordingly.

Steel City Babes :ph34r:

Should the script for the current goal and description for all racers be the same...??? ( I used Atlantagal's plus some of my own wording) Let me know and I will update accordingly.

Nothing wrong with each racer having some individual flair, just like no two tie dye shirts are alike! :blink:

Once race preparations get further along, a template for the travel bug pages will be provided as well as samples of the proposed tags that will go out with the racers. Each racer is welcome to go their own way, although including a link to the race web site or at least a reference to the race objectives that will hopefully increase a racers odds of victory.

Now I have to figure out how I can get a racer in the race with someone else as the "driver" (so in case of the unlikely event where a racer of mine actually wins something, the "driver" would get the prize, not me) :ph34r::ph34r:

Nothing wrong with each racer having some individual flair, just like tie dye shirts! :rolleyes:

Dang it! Should have included a GW5 tye dye shirt with the biodiesel and hippie bus! :o

So you are allowed to drill a hole and attach a lock/wire yourself ? Make your own tag to go with it ?

Are you allowed to attach your own wooden nickel ? or untrackable coin?

If, the only problem for me is to get my hands on one of these buses LOL

maybe someone is interested to make a trade

So you are allowed to drill a hole and attach a lock/wire yourself ? Make your own tag to go with it ?

Are you allowed to attach your own wooden nickel ? or untrackable coin?

If, the only problem for me is to get my hands on one of these buses LOL

maybe someone is interested to make a trade

Check your email for a potential trade. B)

You are welcome to include anything that can be attached to the racer using 3/32" wire cable. Well, not the engine block from a totaled Chevy Nova, but the usual tags, tokens, nickels, etc. :rolleyes:

For those wanting to attach a permanent cable to their racers themselves, you may want to wait until the text for the officially endorsed racer tag is provided, as that will likely include a link or two that may help motivate people who discover your racer into moving it along. If you are using a simple pull-chain, as long as the ends aren't glued shut or crushed, shouldn't be a problem to add the official tag at the race launch event. If you are planning to use wire cable and ferrules that necessitate the use of wire cutters to remove, the race tag will be attached with a pull-chain to your cable.

For virginal hippies buses that don't want to get drilled :D the racer tag will simply be included with the racer in a zip-lock hippie baggie (grass not included! :o )

Maybe I'll even get devious like avroair and have prizes for folks who keep the racers moving as an incentive to not be a coin thief. :(

I found my extra hippie bus down on a dead end street in a field without an engine. I'll fix it up nice and enter it in the race.

I'll send e-mail later or this weekend after my long shifts at work are done.

With any spare engine you get be sure to torque the heads down properly. I'll never forget my hippie bus and most others back in the day could be heard popping from way down the road

Ahh, now we are getting into reminiscing about bus stories, so here's mine...

Our family went through several VW buses while I was growing up in WA state, they got lots of miles going from our hometown to either the mountains or the beach most summer weekends. Small town divided by a good sized river with an ancient and narrow draw bridge right beside a newer multi-lane high-span bridge. Some years after I'd moved out on my own, got a call from my mom, conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi mom, how's it going?"

Mom: "You'll never guess what happened today!"

Me: "Hmmm, the van broke down?"

Mom (surprised): "How did you know? Ok, smarty what was the problem?!"

Me: "Hmmm, the transmission fell off?"

Mom (a little irritated): "Ok, so *where* did this happen??"

Me: "Uhhh, the middle of the old bridge?"

Mom: *click*

Guess I was answering calls for the psychic hot-line that day! :(:rolleyes::o

Ok, I've been getting a number of emails wondering what the heck this "boot" is I'm referring to in the emails sent out as race registration responses. I'm referring to something use by parking lots to keep you from leaving the scene of a supposed parking offense by locking your wheel in position.

parking-enforcement.jpg

Similar to an animal caught in a trap who had to gnaw their leg off to escape, you'd be hard pressed to get away with anything more serviceable than a 3-wheeler. :rolleyes:

What I plan to use for a "boot" with the hippie bus racers is 3/32" wire cable attached with a crimped ferrule that makes it impossible to remove the cable without a decent set of wire cutters. My plan is to use this on any willing participants to attach a laminated racer info tag as well as anything else drilled with a 1/8" or larger hole (from measuring a few pathtags and geocoin buddy tags, looks like 1/8" is the standard size hole)

Here's some sample pics of a recently drilled/tagged coin of mine.

TaggedBack.jpg

TaggedFront.jpg

11 left :D

I'm curious. How do you tell how many are left? When I added them to my cart this morning I didn't see any indication of how many were left or for another coin either.

Put an astronomically high number in your basket, hit recalculate, and it will give you a warning message saying there are only xxx left in stock.

1. keewee #1
  2. keewee #2
  3. rattusbaggus
  4. AtlantaGal
  5. tw3nty3ight
  6. Avroair
  7. GPX Navigators
  8. Go Girl
  9. King Finder
  10. Damenace
  11. Mauison
  12. usyoopers
  13. Moozer
  14. ParentsofSAM #1
  15. ParentsofSAM #2
  16. SAMrGRITS #1
  17. SAMrGRITS #2
  18. bvnlj #1
  19. bvnlj #2
  20. 007BigD
  21. horsegeeks
  22. Dhenninger
  23. Meg Ryan
  24. rivercity

25. sillygirl & jrr
  26. medic208 #1
  27. medic208 #2
  28. creacher
  29. Team Jsam
  30. Steel City Babes
  31. solan109
  32. Vegas Gamblers
  33. Accordiangal
  34. LadeBear68
  35. LadyBee4T
  36. dflye

Or if you want to kill some of your bandwidth, you can check out the Standings page on the race web site. :D

Updated the list (and external site) again. Added a photo gallery with some sample pics of a Hippie Bus Racer on the road, feel free to use these pics wherever you'd like.

I'm entering a racer as well, and have found a suitable driver (thanks PengoBeky!) who is looking forward to beating the rest of you to the finish line! :lol:

I've put together a sample TB page using the above mentioned racer as a guinea pig, dflye's Road to Sacramento Hippie Bus Racer (driven by PengoBeky)

I loaded the sample pics mentioned above onto that TB's page as well as the external race web site, feel free to use on your TB pages.

Very nice webpage you worked up there.

As far as some theme variations I think it would be cool to award points for any pics of stops at Healthfood stores B)

There could be a list and maybe a point value of places to visit such as Biofueling stations, Recycling centers, a cooperative farm...in that case like 100 points for a pic with a COMPOSTING TOILET :) How bout a given number of points to visit the OG woodstock grounds even though its outa the way...A picture with a real hippie~Just go to the Healthfood store :)

Boy we could go on and on makin point stops.