Palm T3 Power failure means no caches

gunpowder

My T3 ran out of juice and I couldn't get it to the cigarette Power cord in time so I lost all my data for caching. I had it on my 60CX but hinda hard to find many caches just with the GPSR especially ones with extra requirements.

I reloaded Cachemate onto my T3 but this time I thought maybe I would put it on the card. shouldn't that prevent loss of data due to a temporary power failure?

I'm not certain, but your reasoning makes sense to me. I've never had my Palms poop out on me to test the theory. If Cachemate itself doesn't disappear, then it should be able to read the data from the card again.

I do know that this strategy was effective with my Meridian...lockups requiring a system reset would hose data in internal memory, but the SD card allowed for quick recovery.

Edit to add: I think you lose little functionality putting data on the card, anyway (that's what I always do). After the initial read Cachemate performs from the card, the data is apparently maintained in internal memory anyway. The card is read only when a change is detected (or you manually force it). Putting the data on the card essentially creates a backup in advance. In the event of a power loss you would lose any data you have entered in Cachemate since the read, but you could recover your unedited database.

Edited by embra

I once had my Palm E2 run it's battery flat whilst on the mains charger overnight when I left the screen on!!!! :ph34r: As I was staying 200kms from home on the 1st night of a caching holiday that meant an early return home. :blink:

Since then to prevent a total wipeout of a cache raid if the PDA goes down again I, in addition to loading the cache waypoints in internal memory of my 76CSX, load all the caches as Custom POI to the microSD card. A great advantage of doing this is that Custom POI have 2 fields (totalling 132 characters) into which cache data can be loaded. Such data can include name, code, cache type, size, terr, diff, find history and hints etc. By placing the hints in the largest field (88 characters) you should have enough detail to continue finding easy traditional caches. Your gps then can act as a backup to the PDA. In fact, there are methods by which all hint detail can be stored in Custom POI. Go see the GSAK forum for more on this.

Try it.

Another thing you could do is to regularly backup all your Palm programs, data etc onto the SD card using NVBackup. This should enable you to restore everything exactly how it was in just a few minutes, once you have recharged the battery.

Another thing you could do is to regularly backup all your Palm programs, data etc onto the SD card using NVBackup. This should enable you to restore everything exactly how it was in just a few minutes, once you have recharged the battery.

That's a good idea, too. I don't know anything about NVBackup, but I've been using BackupMan with satisfaction.