GPS

Wazat

I am currently using a MioGPS satnav to find caches but find it a bit cumbersome to use when climbing rocks. I was wondering if an Etrex Yellow is any good at getting you to a cache or should I rather go for the summit as it has the electronic compass? I need to get one from my trip to the berg over the weekend. I used a Etrex Yellow many years ago but not specifically for finding small items. I thought of getting a vista but I already have satnav so I get to caches easily via roads, just need something to show me the right direction once I am walking. Anyone have some Ideas. Also need to be able to load waypoints to the unit.

I am currently using a MioGPS satnav to find caches but find it a bit cumbersome to use when climbing rocks. I was wondering if an Etrex Yellow is any good at getting you to a cache or should I rather go for the summit as it has the electronic compass? I need to get one from my trip to the berg over the weekend. I used a Etrex Yellow many years ago but not specifically for finding small items. I thought of getting a vista but I already have satnav so I get to caches easily via roads, just need something to show me the right direction once I am walking. Anyone have some Ideas. Also need to be able to load waypoints to the unit.

Hi Wazat

Garmin have a new Etrex H on the market that has the new SIRF technology in it and the Rx is nice and sensitive.

No matter which one you get the accuracy is still only going to be 5 metres. If you decide to get the Garmin give a thought to a download cable and the Southern Africa Topo and Recreation mapset.

You'll be able to download your waypoints and tracks to and from the PC to the GPS, nice for keeping records and such.

Edited by Geoff Ogden

Get a Garmin with a USB cable. The Legend is good choice for price and useage.

I use the Garmin Legend and find it great. Has many features and is relatively simple to use.

iNokia - please explain a little more about how you use your phone and your R800 start-up costs and what you would term an "up to date" phone? I know there is a fancy Nokia on the market with a build-in GPS, but it is about the same price as a GPS - I think it is the N90 (?) or somthing similar.

Looking forward to some discussion on "alternatives". :rolleyes:

as it has the electronic compass?

As mentioned, get a unit with a Si-RF chipset. With that as a prerequisite, look for a unit that suites your budget. I've yet to see a unit where the electronic compass works consistently and without hiccups. They tend to freeze up and often send you in the wrong direction. I got fed up and switched mine off, at least now I only take two steps in the wrong direction instead of a 100m or more. Wasted too much precious caching time recalibrating it or walking in the wrong direction. If you google, you'll find enough links where folks aren't too happy with the electronic compass functionality, so I wouldn't have that as a pre-req. Stand to be corrected, but I would think that all units that have one, you are able to switch it off.

As mentioned, get a unit with a Si-RF chipset. With that as a prerequisite, look for a unit that suites your budget. I've yet to see a unit where the electronic compass works consistently and without hiccups. They tend to freeze up and often send you in the wrong direction. I got fed up and switched mine off, at least now I only take two steps in the wrong direction instead of a 100m or more. Wasted too much precious caching time recalibrating it or walking in the wrong direction. If you google, you'll find enough links where folks aren't too happy with the electronic compass functionality, so I wouldn't have that as a pre-req. Stand to be corrected, but I would think that all units that have one, you are able to switch it off.

Hi Wazat

GlobalRat is quite correct. I have found that the Etrex H to be good value for money if you're not ready to spend BIG bucks on any of the Auto routing units.

Currently the Etrex H is R 1230-00 excluding VAT at some dealers but probably cheaper at Cape Union or Makro.

I borrowed an Etrex yellow today to try find a cache and it took me right to the spot that I think the cache was supposed to be, But it looks as if it has been muggled. But where my satnav doesn't show me how far I have to go at least this one does. So I will start looking at getting a basic model to start with , just need to get this one to direct me to a cache that I will find. I didn't have co-ords for the other caches I visited today as they were all programmed into my MioGPS and I have been to them all already. It would have been interesting to see if it would have got me spot on on them too.

after the adventure in the Drakensberg with batsgonemad and rhino and seeing how well their units work I might as well hang on and get the 60 csx. but the price is something I still need to consider. Eish. the etrex I borrowed worked in the open but under coverage it was just not cutting it.

I've just got myself a GPS 60 unit (I've been using a StreetPilot c310 up until now), which has a geocaching mode.

However, I don't have any topo map detail loaded on the unit - how does one get topo detail installed on the GPS 60? I hope I haven't bought the wrong unit!

Hi Neville

Hope you got a 60 that's full title is GPSMap 60 or better still GPSMap 60CSX.

Only the Garmin units that have Map in it's model number (with the exception of the Vista and Legend) can take maps.

If it is a 60CSX then with a 1 GB SD card you'll be able to load the Topo maps as well as the streetmaps.

I've just got myself a GPS 60 unit (I've been using a StreetPilot c310 up until now), which has a geocaching mode.

However, I don't have any topo map detail loaded on the unit - how does one get topo detail installed on the GPS 60? I hope I haven't bought the wrong unit!

What area of the country are you looking for topo maps for?

Hi Neville

Only the Garmin units that have Map in it's model number (with the exception of the Vista and Legend) can take maps.

If it is a 60CSX then with a 1 GB SD card you'll be able to load the Topo maps as well as the streetmaps.

Geoff said it. The GPS 60 only has 1Mb internal memory and no facility to load additional cards or maps. So, here's hoping you omitted to type MAP, if that's what you're after.

The outdoorsie map enabled units (i.e. not those designed solely for automotive, flight or marine [these also take maps]) are basically listed here

Edited by GlobalRat

Hi Neville

Geoff said it. The GPS 60 only has 1Mb internal memory and no facility to load additional cards or maps. So, here's hoping you omitted to type MAP, if that's what you're after.

The outdoorsie map enabled units (i.e. not those designed solely for automotive, flight or marine [these also take maps]) are basically listed here

I LOVE MY 60 CSX WITH 1GB SD CARD I have loaded the whole countries Topo and recreation map set with some space for the 'tracks for africa' as well just for fun - and then when looking at a trip to the UK we can just get a preloaded SD card and 'plug and play' - fantastic !

not only that it is hell-of-a tuff little bugger.... I want to see someone break it - not sure the same can be said for the street wize set of gps's.....

In summary money well spent!

Just a little update - I decided that the GPS 60 was not good enough for me, so this morning I went back to the good folk of CUM in PMB and they kindly exchanged it for an eTrex Vista HCx. Cost me about double, but what a difference in value! Now I've also got the latest Topo & Rec mapset loaded on my 1GB micro-SD card.

Test drove it on a cache just now, and I'm impressed!

Hi Guys

I am considering upgrading my Legend. I am looking at the Vista Cx and the Vista HCx - both the same price here - approx R2400. That is the same as what I paid for my Legend 15 months ago in SA!! :D Any ideas as to what the 2nd hand market is like in SA for a Legend with a USB convertor and windscreen mount and the latest Garmap of SA? Input would be appreciated.

I will be in SA in December should anbody make a decent offer! :D

Happy caching.

But do they get you spot on caches. I have a MioGPS, very similar to the Nuvi310 but find that I have to be moving at least 5kph to get it to show me the direction of the cache. It gets really frustrating as I pass the cache site often. I tried an Etrex yellow and that worked a lot better than mine did, but still is not quite getting me on the right spot at times. Although it is more or less in the right area. Not to mention the problem I have with mine down gorges and under trees even though it has a SiRFstarIII receiver in.

I will probably look at getting the Etrex Vista HCx as it gets a good review from those who use it. But I need to run this pass the Missus and she is not all that keen on money been spent on stupid things like that.

But do they get you spot on caches. I have a MioGPS, very similar to the Nuvi310 but find that I have to be moving at least 5kph to get it to show me the direction of the cache. It gets really frustrating as I pass the cache site often. I tried an Etrex yellow and that worked a lot better than mine did, but still is not quite getting me on the right spot at times. Although it is more or less in the right area. Not to mention the problem I have with mine down gorges and under trees even though it has a SiRFstarIII receiver in.

I will probably look at getting the Etrex Vista HCx as it gets a good review from those who use it. But I need to run this pass the Missus and she is not all that keen on money been spent on stupid things like that.

You just need to make use of the Offroad setting when looking for a cache and not fastest/shortest road then it is normally spot on.

If you are in the JHB area contact MIAS on 011 793 3321 and ask for Abdullah - tell them Juan send you and he should give you a very good discount

I have a Quest II - I got it because of the autorouting, long rechargeable battery life, and waterproof (I use it for hikes etc). Comes with City Navigator Europe built in, and I have loaded v1.5 of Streetmaps as well as the relevant areas of the v1.5 Strret & Topo. Able to upload waypoints and custom POIs as well.

Having met "NotBlonde" I can vouch for him using a Nuvi exclusively, and he has a lot of finds and hides. But what he would modestly not tell you is that he has the same ability like a "Home-ing pigeon" to find the cache. He just ran up to it, while I would still fiddle to get a satellite lock. (Life ain't fair...) :P

OK while I wonder about the fate of my MioGPS I have gone and ordered myself the Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, should be here in the next day or two. Would have liked to go for the GPSMap 60CSX but the price was going to be way over my budget. Hey even the Etrex started getting expensive in the end. But as I worked at the place where I am getting it from I managed to get a little bit off.

......... Would have liked to go for the GPSMap 60CSX but the price was going to be way over my budget. Hey even the Etrex started getting expensive in the end. ..........

I noticed that these 2 units are relatively expensive in SA [Garmin.co.za] The GPSMap 60CSx costs roughly R3400 here and the eTrex Vista HCSx is R2500. I am seriously thinking of upgrading my eTrex Legend at the moment - but what do I do with 2 units??? :)

Happy caching.

Hi everybody

We also had alot of trouble with the electronic compass on our Garmin. What I found is that if I re-calibrate it (doing the 720 degree turn) every time I replaced the batteries, it worked fine.

Why is it, with all the space and memory of the new GPS's they cant manage to store more than 50 characters of text in the waypoint description.

On would think with mobile phones hitting the GPS market that Garmin would wake up and start mixing in some "cool" technology, heck any technology, with their oversized GPS's!

Thats my rant on why I dont want to spend money on a GPS! :huh:

So anyway lets just hope I get a phone call later today to let me know that my GPS has arrived. Avnic trading had a wonderful system crash and my order went on a 4 day long backlog. Now it has to be couriered up from Durban.... Wonderful. Just when I thought I would be doing Amajuba with my new flshy GPS..... Aaaargh. And now it is rainy weather. Oh it will be fun.

:rolleyes::huh: And it arrived. My Vista HCx has arrived. At last I can find my way to caches again. Can't wait to test the new toy on new caches or just to find all my own again.

Let us know how well it works under the trees. I am interested to see if the "H" is worth it!

Let us know how well it works under the trees. I am interested to see if the "H" is worth it!

Trees? What are they? I'm considering the HCx because it only costs R2500! That is compared to the GPSMap 60CSx at about R3400. I am "listening" to all the discussions on the merits of the HCSx. :rolleyes:

Have yet to test it under heavy foilage and down a gorge but if it can pick up signal inside the house with an acuracy of 7 m I am quite sure that foilage is no real problem for this little baby. As I get to do heavy foilage I wioll report back. But so far I can just say that the H series is great. Still the samepot indoors and I now have an accuracy of 5m, locked on to 8 satelites.

OK Hands up all those who did Nkwankwa river and battled because of the heavy tree coverage. I was placed spot on the co-ordinates on this one but at two different places about 3 meters or so apart. At the right spot it showed an accuracy of 4 meters. It took me less than 3 or 4 minutes to find this after a clue from the FTF on this cache from 2 years ago.

So the Vista HCx is a great unit and under the trees worked like a bomb. Great unit to say the least. I think when placing caches that we should maybe state the makes of GPSr's that were used to hide the cache.

Hi Wazat, you can forget that ever to happen. :D

Good idea though, but it is part of the game to try and read the cache hider's technique. One hider has this habit of moving 6 meters away after placing the cache, then to take an accurate reading of the offset waypoint. Problem is that he has 360 degrees of 6 meter offset possibilities.

I believe "Vespax" has his own way of distorting the waypoint, others use impossible mystery/puzzle caches, I resort to "Nano" caches. You on the other hand uses a helicopter. ;)

Edited by LeonW

Update on the Etrex Vista HCx.... Amazing. I have used this to place caches inside the local Pick 'n Pay.... LOL.

No not really but a unit that can still pick up signal while deep inside a large building really is impresive.

I have not been cache hunting in my area as yet mainly because I have found all of them already, also after a few days of waiting to get the street maps loaded cause I was been a bit dof and didn't realise I could do it. I realised to my horror that the maps on my mio gps were more detailed in regards to farm and secondary roads as well as some of the smaller towns. But the points of interest blew me away although there are some that are missing.

Now the question I have is do the topo maps perhaps have these other farm roads on. Also how do you update points of intrest with Garmin. I noticed that there is a golf course in my town but I have been in higher buildings in the area and not seen any golf course even on the buildings below. I looked around in the shop and can't find it their either. I was going to ask the shop keeper if there was a basement but when he looked a bit oddly at me running around the store with the GPS, I thought it best I leave.... Me thinks either there is a nice underground golf course here or Garmin has a wayward POI floating around.... LOL.

Oh Cincol just a quick note. The Etrex Vista on your side costs R2500 but what maps does it have? If you need to get the Southern Africa street maps for it then you need to add another R2200. So in the end you end up paying more than I did on this side. But if you did get it with the Southern Africa street maps then that is an awesome price. What do the Etrex H yellows go for there?

Edited by Wazat

Wazat

That is exactly why I have been asking about it. Here the GPS comes with a basic world map, with a fairly detailed Middle East map pre-loaded and an empty SD-card. That's it! Obviously no SA maps!!! :)

As an aside, maybe one of our geeks :o can tell us if it is possible to mirror image the SA map with Norton Ghost or some other software. :blink:;);)

On the yellows - sorry - not available here as they do not have enough gizmos and gadgets attached!! The Arabs LOVE gizmos and gadgets. I saw a Land Cruiser fitted out with a huge Garmin fish finder the other day - complete with dome mounted on the roof as well. Why? Because they CAN!! They got the bucks - they spend the bucks!! :ph34r:

Now the question I have is do the topo maps perhaps have these other farm roads on. Also how do you update points of intrest with Garmin.

The topo maps are essential and comprehensive, especially for the geocacher! If you already have Southern Africa Streetmaps V1.5, you can buy the topo mapset for about R365. It includes 20m contours, farm boundaries, gravel roads, dams, etc.

To answer your second question, you can't update Garmin POIs directly - however, if you send suggestions to data@garmap.co.za, they will incorporate the changes in the next 6 monthly release. There's a very active GPS owner forum at http://www.garmap.co.za/Forum/ForumMain.asp - highly recommended!

Hope this helps!

Oh I love this topographical map set. Puts some perspective on everything. I am still browsing to see if there are some missing routes that I have traveled.

POI for speed traps is great. I went past a known spot that they always set up a radar today and the alarms went off. I maintained a speed just over 105kph at which I set it to warm me and the thing went berserk and wouldn't stop until i slacked off. Great. My MioGPS only warned me to slow down if there was a spot up ahead. I could be walking and it would warn me....

I am loving this little guy more each day.....

A little bit of bad news about my eTrex Vista HCx - all of a sudden the menu button (top right button) has stopped working! I haven't dropped it or bumped it as far as I know.

I haven't had a chance to take it back to CUM for them to check it out, but I'm fearful that I'll have to part company with my little baby if it has to go in for repairs... ;)