leaking water pipe cache

MREAGLEWO1

I have heard about these, saw one not in use but i am interested in making one. I have a few questions.

1. How do people place these? couldnt a cacher just pick the tube up and turn it up side down to make it fall out?

2. How far away from a watersource do you normally place it?

3. What container do peple normally use inside the tube? Would a match box (orange ones from walmart) keep dry?

4. Lastly what are the average length/height of these?

Thanks

I have heard about these, saw one not in use but i am interested in making one. I have a few questions.

1. How do people place these? couldnt a cacher just pick the tube up and turn it up side down to make it fall out?

2. How far away from a watersource do you normally place it?

3. What container do peple normally use inside the tube? Would a match box (orange ones from walmart) keep dry?

4. Lastly what are the average length/height of these?

Thanks

1. I've seen existing pipes used so removal isn't a problem. On others, I've seen an extra pipe attached with zip-tie's so removing the cache pipe would 'break' the cache.

2. One was across a playfield from water, another was close to .25 miles uphill. Both warned you to carry a container/water.

3. I've seen bison tubes used - attached to fishing float (bison's sink on their own). Depends on the size of the tube, you may experiment some to get it right for you.

4. I've seen anything from a couple of feet to about 5 feet (you were warned to carry about 1 gallon - I used 2/3 of a gallon, then drank the rest!).

Mine is about 4 feet tall and is bolted to an old chain link fence. It is PVC pipe painted grey to match the fence, and I have drilled several holes in the end cap for the water to drain out. The capsule containing the coordinates is a small plastic pill holder that I bought from a pharmacy for a couple of bucks - it floats well and is watertight. I don't explicitly state that you need to use water to obtain the capsule but I do have coordinates posted for a bucket by a nearby creek.

Hardly anyone ever does the cache as it not a park and grab, which is too bad because those that do the cache really enjoy it. email me if you have any questions on how to construct the cache.

Mine is inside a fence post. The city used pipe, drove it into the ground, and poured concrete around that to make a chain link fence. The pipe drains and I just dropped the cache in. The city had done all the work.

Some things are not so much how to do a lot of work to create a unique cache but how to use the world around you to creat a unique cache by seeing the potential thats already there, if you can just see it.

Since common sense is not all that common, I figured that I would address an important issue.

If you plan on using an existing fence (that doesn't belong to you) don't drill a hole in the pipe to allow the water to drain. Nothing could be worse for are hobby than bad press due to vandalism.

Since common sense is not all that common, I figured that I would address an important issue.

If you plan on using an existing fence (that doesn't belong to you) don't drill a hole in the pipe to allow the water to drain. Nothing could be worse for are hobby than bad press due to vandalism.

Easy check for an existing fence. Drop a rock down the hole. If it spashes, It's not going to work for you.

Easy check for an existing fence. Drop a rock down the hole. If it spashes, It's not going to work for you.

RK,

My post wasn't directed towards you, it was for cache placers in general.

I have a 3 inch diameter, ~18 inch PVC pipe. I have an removable drain plug on the bottom because it never occurred to me to drill a small hole. I used a muddauber (sp?) screen at the bottom to prevent the cache from falling out the drain. It would have been easier to drill a small hole! :anitongue::anitongue:

I found that I could reach in the pipe and grab the container so I added a rain spout basket contraption on the top to prevent this. Since my cache has Gilligan's Island theme, I used a long rope to attach a plastic pineapple cup to the cache. The pineapple rests on top of the basket contraption to keep leaves out. The whole thing is glued to a dead tree that is next to a creek. There is about a 4 foot steep embankment to the creek so cachers throw the pineapple into the water, use the rope to raise it and then fill the tube. It takes about 4-5 pineapples worth of water. Since most of my caches are animal themed, I placed a bison tube inside a rubber squid and attached fishing floats to both ends of the squid.

I didn't want people trying to turn it upside down etc. so the outside of the cache says "Add water to sign log"

It also has a prominent "geocaching.com gamepiece, waypoint GC12M3W" sign on it so that muggles don't think that I am trying to use a pipe bomb to blow up a dead tree in the middle of the woods.

I hope this helps.

RK,

My post wasn't directed towards you, it was for cache placers in general.

Understood. Your post just reminded me of an easy check to see if an existing post would work or not. When I was looking more than a few of the posts in the park didn't drain and had water in them. That was how I checked and found one that would work.

I had water cache at a perfect location. I used bailing wire to fasten it to an existing sign post. One bit or wire actually went through the plumber epoxy plug I had at the base of the galvanized pipe I used. However, some yahoo decided since he couldn't figure it out, he would cut the wires. He then sort of re-wound reconnected them, but making it easy for future cachers. I decided to archive it. I am working on a better way of making this work where it isn't easy to "short cut" the intent.

On the floating container.

I placed one of these as a stage in a multi. Since it consisted of coordinates only, i used a plastic food coloring bottle for the container. I forget the brand but it is round with a good sealing lid and it floats nicely. Placed the coordinates inside it so that you could read them through the container so there is no need to remove the lid. It's worjked great and so far i have never had any moisture get into it.

I had water cache at a perfect location. I used bailing wire to fasten it to an existing sign post. One bit or wire actually went through the plumber epoxy plug I had at the base of the galvanized pipe I used. However, some yahoo decided since he couldn't figure it out, he would cut the wires. He then sort of re-wound reconnected them, but making it easy for future cachers. I decided to archive it. I am working on a better way of making this work where it isn't easy to "short cut" the intent.

I just did one of these and thought I had left enough clues so that cachers would know what to do or so I thought. I used white pvc pipe used hose clamps to attach it to a 4X4, the name is 5 finger cache, you have to or at least suppose to use 5 fingers to cver the holes and float the match container to sign the log. guess it wasnt clear enough so far I think almost everyone has unclamped it. LMAO guess I need to find a way to prevent that, any ideas

I just did one of these and thought I had left enough clues so that cachers would know what to do or so I thought. I used white pvc pipe used hose clamps to attach it to a 4X4, the name is 5 finger cache, you have to or at least suppose to use 5 fingers to cver the holes and float the match container to sign the log. guess it wasnt clear enough so far I think almost everyone has unclamped it. LMAO guess I need to find a way to prevent that, any ideas

Put some epoxy on the screws and threads so they can't be undone. I use JB Weld on the nuts and bolts of my cache. It doesn't keep lazy people from busting the bottom cap off but at least they can't unbolt it.

I had one that was PVC. A PVC cap was fitted loosely on top, and it had a length of cord attached so that you could toss the cap into a nearby pond to get water. Tt took about three capfuls, if you were quick enough, to float the container out. The main tube had a drainage hole in it, so you did have to be quick with the water. The floating container was one of those keychain floats that look like a bouy (see picture). It held up nicely. The problem with the cache, aside from the kids with the baseball bat that took swings at it a couple of times, is that cachers were taking it apart. They didn't get the concept. I only learned that, though, some time after I archived it due to the muggles.

sailing-floating-keychains-1.jpg

Another of the type that I have found is in an existing pipe, about five feet tall. The container in that one was a match container.

I've been working on a series. Mostly concepts at this point. Some made and others partially. Where the idea is for a minimum of two cachers to get the cache. It is up to me to figure out how to foil a single cacher, at least a majority. One idea I had was to take the classic "water in a pipe", but put 10 holes that are spaced for one person to use 10 fingers to plug the holes, while the other gets the water. I even considered 11 holes. Thought it might be interesting to hear about what was used to plug the final, or just hurrying on the second cachers part to fill it with minimal water loss. The idea of a fill the pipe with water to get the cache is simple. There are many ways to tweak it. It is up to the cache owner to put their twist and make it as easy or hard as their "vision" for the cache is. Just rate is properly for the effort.

Not to ask the obvious...but what are you talking about...can someone post a link to a cache of this type?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fb-8586536e428c

Not sure if you noticed but this cache has been archived as cops kept showing up with drawn guns. Maybe a better example? I've never seen this type of cache before. I like the concept and will consider for my upcoming 1st cache. Obviously in a location that won't bother the local PD.

I've been working on a series. Mostly concepts at this point. Some made and others partially. Where the idea is for a minimum of two cachers to get the cache. It is up to me to figure out how to foil a single cacher, at least a majority. One idea I had was to take the classic "water in a pipe", but put 10 holes that are spaced for one person to use 10 fingers to plug the holes, while the other gets the water. I even considered 11 holes.
If your goal is to encourage teamwork, then I think a rain-gauge cache with 10 holes will work better than one with 11 holes. With 10 holes, two people can work together. With > 10 holes, they need to find a third person or figure out another approach.

A number of geocachers carry duct tape in their cache repair kits...

[edit: typo]

Edited by niraD

I got one.

DON'T drill hole in pipe if you don't have permission. mine is a concrete ball with 3 foot steel pipe[one of the first finders wanted to drill hole so i had to ask if it was ok to drill hole in pipe, they didn't care so i wrote them it was ok]

it was a church. phoenix cachers know the cache[its got favorites]

Is there a way to tweek this idea into a 5 difficulty rating? You have to bring some kind of bucket to do it? My daughter and I have been placing a couple of kayak to only caches so it is already a 5 terrain and thought it would be fun to make a 5 terrain and a 5 difficulty but not sure on how to make it so difficult that is would classify as a 5? Any Ideas.

-WarNinjas

I thought I'd share my version of this hide. It's not a 5 star, but fun enough: Aww Hex! GC1E49Y. It's been out there over three years, so is suppose it's OK to share now.

At the far end of our local beach parking lot is a set of six pipes (in a hex pattern) blocking cars from driving up the bike path. These pipes were pile-driven into the sand long ago and stick out about 3 ft, but they are 5-6ft deep inside! I have placed six identical containers into these pipes, each with a reflective tape square on top. These six are all filled with sand so they don't float up. The actual cache is in a seventh container, identical except the reflector has a little "x" on top, and of course no sand inside. There are instructions in the cache for the finder to drop it into a different hole after signing the log.

I suppose the fun part is that it is NOT advertised as a water pipe type cache, so there are several levels of discovery needed: 1) WHERE the heck is the cache! 2) OK, WHICH of the holes is it in, and 3) Oh, now HOW do I get it out?

The hint says "You can bring some "Gals" to help" which really confuses some people. (yes, I've been accused of "male chauvinism" har!) It takes just about 1 gallon to lift it out. There are no drain holes, but the water drops a few inches a minute as it percolates through the sand. No container is provided, but the Pacific is about 100ft away.

I also put a little piece of hidden text at the bottom of the description with some more hints: "PS...It's less Dense than collected rain, yet still Attractive too..." Of course the formatting gets stripped out on the phone apps, so it's given away easier to those in the field. "It's less Dense than collected rain" means "IT FLOATS!" and "yet still Attractive too" means "YES, I PUT MAGNETS IN THE LIDS!"

I get some pretty funny emails from people telling how they "Macgyvered" to retrieve it. I'd say about a third of the finders don't even figure out it can float out. In fact, while doing maintenance earlier this year, I pulled up all the san filled "dummies" to clean the top reflectors, and found a signed virgin logsheet in one! I didn't have the heart to delete their "Found It" log, as that must have been *really* tough to do without the exact perfect tool (which I have, of course).

As you can imagine, it doesn't get a lot of smileys, but those who do get it have a BIG one. :D

I am in the process of building a hydro cache which is 40mm drain pipe (the type used on sinks). There are 4x90 degree bends in it and 6 metres of pipe. It will be placed on an old railway embankment at a bridge. In the tube is the plastic egg from a kinder surprise, which contains the log. The cacher has to flush the egg through the pipework from the top of the embankment and then go under the bridge to retrieve the egg. Then log their find and drop the egg back into the top.

The cache is not intended to be particulerly challenging but just different and a bit of fun.