Oregon Forest Fire Lookout Challenge

WR7X

Rooster Rock Ramble (GCXVNG) in Area 1 has been dropped from the bookmark list and is no longer a qualifying cache for this challenge. It has been reported to me that it doesn't meet the rule for multi-caches. This doesn't affect the stats of any current participants since no one had claimed it for the challenge. Still plenty of others to find in Area 1, so no big loss.

One change to announce with regard to the Pine Mtn. Lookout site in Area 4. It has been determined that Pine Mountain Ridge Runner (GCG4KJ) is not a qualifying cache due to the distance of the final cache from the lookout site. In its place, a new hide, Star Party 08 (GC1DJHM) by elkjim will qualify at this site. It appears that everyone I know of participating in the challenge has either found the new cache or the other qualifier, Pine Mountain Stroll (GCJE9X), so no stats have been affected.

Another qualifying cache in Area 2 has been pointed out to me.

The second Third Butte - GCE887 - by bigeddy

It is located on Overturf Butte right in Bend, Oregon. It was briefly used as an emergency lookout starting in 1948.

The only cache participant to have found it is logscaler.

One change to announce with regard to the Pine Mtn. Lookout site in Area 4. It has been determined that Pine Mountain Ridge Runner (GCG4KJ) is not a qualifying cache due to the distance of the final cache from the lookout site. In its place, a new hide, Star Party 08 (GC1DJHM) by elkjim will qualify at this site. It appears that everyone I know of participating in the challenge has either found the new cache or the other qualifier, Pine Mountain Stroll (GCJE9X), so no stats have been affected.

If I understand the rules a cache must be within 0.1 mile of the lookout site. The final of Pine Mountain Stroll is roughly a half-mile away so I don't think it qualifies. I have a night cache about 0.15 mile from the site so it does not quite qualify either. I doubt if either of these affect the participants but I mention it for the sake of accuracy.

Sadly, one of my Lookout caches was archived today.

The owner of the property doesn't want to be liable if anyone tries to climb the tower. :mad:

I got an email from the property owner as well, asking to remove the geocache link on firelookout.com, which I will do since the cache is archived. I had asked one of the brothers if they minded people hiking up there, and he didn't mind so much as the visitors respected the property, but apparently that opinion isn't shared throughout the family.

Darn, I see I missed this Fire Lookout Challenge cache. I spent 2 months this summer manning Pig Iron LO near Crater Lake. I had a geocache made up and would have placed it if I had known about this cache. I see Illahee and Garwood received caches. They were across the valley from me. Busy with fires most of August-Sept. I had 50 fires burning in my view area in mid August. Excellent roads to Pig Iron, so would be an easy placement and not way up high. (4800 ft)

Pig Iron is on the historic register and in excellent condition. I wish I would have had more time to explore the area. Maybe I'll make it back down there next summer.

2838873800_5b5382c244_o.jpg