Caching with family ?

Tyger4

What is the best way to do things? We have a group that goes. Several adults and several children. Most of the adults and some of the children/teens have their own swag. My daughter and I have signature swag that we made. Anyway, the other children want to swap swag. How do you do this? Is it ok for each child to swap items? How should this be done? My dd has signed up and is a member, so she can log her finds. But, what about the others? Should each person sign up, swap, etc? Can each person swap without signing up? What is the correct/best procedure for this? The youngest child is 7 and really really feels left out. We just started caching and so this was the first cache with swag for the kids to visit.

Anybody or everybody in the group is free to trade. Just make sure that the cache is as well stocked when you leave as it was when you found it.

It's completely up to the individuals if they want to sign up and log online. If they are interested in tracking their finds and writing logs, then they should absolutely sign up. If they aren't then it would be pointless.

There is no requirement for you to log online in order to trade.

My kids sometimes cache with me, my husband sometimes caches with me. None of them cache without me, so for now, this one account covers just me, yet all of us as well. The kids aren't up for bringing their own swag or anything (2 and 4) so a lot of times we may not trade anything at all.

There is no rule, other than the guideline of leaving the cache better than you found it, so just find a system that works for you and go for it :)

We're still newbs, but something we've started doing on group searches is "HuckleBuckleBeanstalk".

The first person to find the cache walks away from it to avoid giving it away, then announces "HuckleBuckleBeanstalk", which means that he or she found it. The next person makes the announcement when she finds it, etc etc.

That way everyone in the group gets to make the find.

Lots of fun, too, when only 1 or 2 are left to find it and they're getting frantic to not be last.

I really like this game idea..."HuckleBuckleBeanstalk".

My biggest concern with the youngest in the group yelling is that it alerts muggles. We have seen some muggles in our searches that could be 'up to no good' and may harm a cache....dont want that to happen.

I like your idea. It makes it into a game, signals a find to the people in our group, allows others in group to find, doesnt draw attention of muggles.

Thanks.

We plan on making/leaving caches pretty kid friendly (waiting for our GPS to get here :) ). One of the items in our trade box is one of those little jibber-jabber hammers. Any kid that sees it is SURE to grab it, but we doubt it will ever make it past the next stop before mom & dad DEMAND that it be traded for something less invasive to their ears & more tolerable in the car :blink:

Edited by fastforty

We plan on making/leaving caches pretty kid friendly (waiting for our GPS to get here :blink: ). One of the items in our trade box is one of those little jibber-jabber hammers. Any kid that sees it is SURE to grab it, but we doubt it will ever make it past the next stop before mom & dad DEMAND that it be traded for something less invasive to their ears & more tolerable in the car :)

That is just cruel and unusual torture! I love it! :)

Occasionally, I take grandkids with me to cache. When this happens, I note on all the logs that they were with me, usually "Trucker Lee and grandkids 3" or whatever the count is that day. In the event they later want their own accounts, I can go back and see which caches they have been too. But then, why not let them find those again?

Occasionally, I take grandkids with me to cache. When this happens, I note on all the logs that they were with me, usually "Trucker Lee and grandkids 3" or whatever the count is that day. In the event they later want their own accounts, I can go back and see which caches they have been too.
That is perfectly fine in my book. The point is that they found the cache with you and the log was signed to prove they were there. :D