placing a cache on your own property

I've seen quite a few and have grabbed a few - many however just don't seem too appealing or we feel too uncomfortable searching so I may post a DNA or Did Not Attempt because of the placement.

Nothing wrong with them but some of us just don't feel right going after them.

I've seen quite a few and have grabbed a few - many however just don't seem too appealing or we feel too uncomfortable searching so I may post a DNA or Did Not Attempt because of the placement.

What sort of comments do you typically leave in your DNA's? BTW, The Team calls them DNL, Did Not Look. :)

I've found a few, but could probably count them on one hand. I have only looked for those that were listed by established cachers I trusted. This kind of cache can be a little scary, since you don't REALLY know if the cache poster is telling the truth. I've encountered irate people while caching, and it isn't fun.

There is one such cache locally I have avoided for several months, due to previous experience with other caches by the same player.

Personally, I would never place one like this. It only takes one cacher with a screw loose to ruin your day. You never know what might happen in the future that might set them off. There are LOTS of other places to hide caches.

What sort of comments do you typically leave in your DNA's? BTW, The Team calls them DNL, Did Not Look. :)

It vary's and I would have to go back and look at my logs but generally just a note that we just didn't feel right for whatever reason

I believe Caching Crew has a coin collection in their backyard. Team Roberson has one chained to his mailbox, or at least it was for awhile, not sure if he has moved it yet. TomcatATgod also has one on his front porch, just to name a few cool ones. Easy to maintain that way I guess!

We put one in a far-out corner of our yard. It provided a lovely view of the across-the-highway neighbors very large well kept horse pasture until he tilled it up this summer to reseed. I think we put an adequate description of where it is- comfortably away from our house, parking area off the side road, lazy contained dog that cannot get anywhere close to the cache area (wireless fence collars are SO the way to go!) and scads of trees that it could be in.

I've seen a couple of people do this one and say that they were uncomfortable because it is on private property. We are going to make some signs with a geocache symbol on it for the drive on that side of the house and for the corner of the property. Perhaps if cachers see a friendly geocaching sign/symbol they won't feel so uncomfortable? We'll see since we haven't got the signs made yet.

I'm not accomplished at insertint links (my first time) but here the web address for our cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bc-a85ee7b9320d

The ones that bother me are the ones in town. Being that close together, the coords may lead you to the neighbor's house. We went after a TB hotel once that said large ammo box in my yard, the clue said you'd need glasses if you can't find it. Well, coords led us to the neighbor and we searched hesitantly until we realized it was one yard over in plain sight (we were on the opposite side of the house and couldn't see it).

If you MUSt place them in your yard in town, please leave your address so others know they are in the right yard and not irking the little old lady next door!

I thought the Real Dread Pirate Roberts had been retired for fifteen years and was living like a king in Patagonia???

Ha,Ha...I moved! It got toooo hot there for me......and am still working my way north to Michigan.... :rolleyes:

If you MUSt place them in your yard in town, please leave your address so others know they are in the right yard and not irking the little old lady next door!

good thing I don't have neighbors right next to me....i live in the middle of the woods...

Ya know... The more I think about this the more I realize that this will greatly vary depending on where you live. In the more rural areas, a) people are more trusting and :rolleyes: have much more acreage to play with.

In the suburban areas, it's probably common to be viewed upon as acting suspicious or even be mistaken for a prowler when looking for a cache on or near private property.

In the Metropolitian areas, you may either be looked upon as a being vagrant, a criminal scoping out your next hit or simply just blend in with the crowd.

Still, being from the suburbs, I just don't always feel confortable going for a cache on someone's property.

Now.. there are exceptions!

In Novato CA, there is a fantastic cache which is on private property but you can reach it from the sidewalk.

In Florence Oregon, there is another on Private property that you can actually drive up to and reach from your car if your door is open. So.. clearly it really depends on placement and how well the description fits.

Also, it REALLY helps if there is a note that the neighbors are all aware of the cache and if any of them are cachers too.

Ya know... The more I think about this the more I realize that this will greatly vary depending on where you live. In the more rural areas, a) people are more trusting and <_< have much more acreage to play with.

In the suburban areas, it's probably common to be viewed upon as acting suspicious or even be mistaken for a prowler when looking for a cache on or near private property.

In the Metropolitian areas, you may either be looked upon as a being vagrant, a criminal scoping out your next hit or simply just blend in with the crowd.

Still, being from the suburbs, I just don't always feel confortable going for a cache on someone's property.

In Novato CA, there is a fantastic cache which is on private property but you can reach it from the sidewalk.

In Florence Oregon, there is another on Private property that you can actually drive up to and reach from your car if your door is open. So.. clearly it really depends on placement and how well the description fits.

Also, it REALLY helps if there is a note that the neighbors are all aware of the cache and if any of them are cachers too.

"In the more rural areas, a) people are more trusting" Interesting that you would say that. The Team's experience has been the exact opposite. We've been challenged many many more times when out in rural areas around farms and stuff. And trust me, those people are not particularily shy or subtle.

I think that one reason for this might be that they personally know everone around for ten miles, what car and trucks that they drive, the last time that they went to the dentist(if ever), what the UPS driver just delivered down the road and so forth. Outsiders scrounging around the ditch banks and the like raise more attention than you might expect.

I wonder......if I put on more clothes would that make a difference? I mean criminnie, we drive a freaking Buick, you'd think that would be enough. :rolleyes::rolleyes::unsure:

BTW, you wouldn't mind posting the GC number for that Novato, Ca. cache would you? <_<

Edited by Team Cotati

On one of our first time hunts, we found a cache in the front yard of one of the local prolific hiders. We were a little nervous because the writeup said we might find him on the front porch. Sure enough, there he was. We learned a lot that day and met another cacher for the first time. All in all, a pleasant experience. That being said, I still get nervous, and will sometimes skip caches in someone's yard.

The Mega Millions lottery is currently at $250 million with a "cash option" of $146.2 million. I'm planning on winning it tonight. :anitongue:

With that kind of money I'll definitely have a bit of land and, on that land, there will definitely be some geocaches. I'm with the folks who are uncomfortable caching in somebody's yard or similar places. However, if you have land to move around on I'd have no problem searching for your cache.

Edited by Thrak

We have one on private property but it is very apparent that the cache is there, for anyone that was at MWGB 07 and saw the 4ft wood carving of Signal the frog, he actually stands guard at a cache called "Get the Signal" in Mountain, WI it is in front of our house.

Here are some images from some resent visitors

4b2cd547-0fb2-4759-a816-a6a82f001ea1.jpg

this was kenspt with our dogs bothering him while at the cache

89b306c4-a395-4c7e-a3a0-e357a5c645d4.jpg

here was a visit from Masscityfinn and Littlefinn from MI

4efe83ad-8621-4f03-951a-2454d00f71b0.jpg

Here is a visit from DaBoom (Yes that is Snow on the ground)

People really seem to like our cache in the front yard and we get pictures taken most of the time

Barry and Valarie of Sweetlife

I tried one which I thought was in the cachers front yard, but ended up being on a trail that ran between two adjacent properties. I had been wandering around suspiciously in the front yard for about 20 minutes, with the owner of the house out watching me. I have no idea what he thought I was up to.

Since then, I won't touch them unless I know for certain where the cache is in advance.

Ya know... The more I think about this the more I realize that this will greatly vary depending on where you live. In the more rural areas, a) people are more trusting and B) have much more acreage to play with.

"In the more rural areas, a) people are more trusting" Interesting that you would say that. The Team's experience has been the exact opposite. We've been challenged many many more times when out in rural areas around farms and stuff. And trust me, those people are not particularily shy or subtle.

I think that one reason for this might be that they personally know everone around for ten miles, what car and trucks that they drive, the last time that they went to the dentist(if ever), what the UPS driver just delivered down the road and so forth. Outsiders scrounging around the ditch banks and the like raise more attention than you might expect.

I wonder......if I put on more clothes would that make a difference? I mean criminnie, we drive a freaking Buick, you'd think that would be enough. :D:D:lol:

BTW, you wouldn't mind posting the GC number for that Novato, Ca. cache would you? :D

Sure.. It's GCVZ52

Thanks for everyone's input, I was seriously thinking about making my first cache in my back yard next to an alley way. But now that I have thought about it, I don't like the idea of going into someone's yard for a cache.

So, I guess I will need to keep a lookout for a different place to put my first cache.

Here is one that was totally awesome and got my nephews excited about caching.

Thanks for everyone's input, I was seriously thinking about making my first cache in my back yard next to an alley way. But now that I have thought about it, I don't like the idea of going into someone's yard for a cache.

So, I guess I will need to keep a lookout for a different place to put my first cache.

Well, it all depends on the location. I'm quite the obnoxious old-schooler, but I've found several of these things, a dozen at least. And yes, I have ended up in the wrong yard once or twice. :anicute: But no, I wouldn't do one in a concentrated suburban area, especially in an alley. There's one about 2 miles from my home coords that I've ignored from the day it was posted.

I have a member only puzzle cache in my front yard. GC1DQDW

I was sure to make the hint list the address, and the general area of the cache....for the few finders that look for it....(pay attention parabola) it is still a search due to ("the non-typical container".)

Not many seek this cache..but I always have a great time talking to the ones I find searching for it.

As for me seeking caches on others property...why not? The worst that can happen (unless big dogs are involved, which they would be barking already) is a neighbor asks "what ya doin?" Never had that happen yet, but I have my speech all planned....." I am an entometeroligist (big words confuse) with the ISU extension office out of Ames..we are studying the migration of.. (insert some big bug sounding name). Sorry to bother you, and I will continue my study elsewhere...

LOL

I have one in my front yard. It is not too hard and, to me, very well worth the find. I keep it stocked. Everything is clearly marked and I have made it easy, even though it seems that no one reads the cache description. Most of the time, I never even know you are out there looking for it. My neighbor lives a good distance away but he still gets a kick out of watching others try to find it.

We have one at the store we own (an outside nano) that we did as our first cache hide. We also have a big one on my moms property. The area it's in isn't the prettiest but there is almost always wildlife there for people to see and we've gotten great feedback on it so far. We never approach people who are searching for either of them although we might smile and wave. But it is fun to watch them as they search for the caches, especially the nano.

One of our favorites that we've visited was at someones house too. Sometimes the private ones are the best stocked because the owners can easily check them and remove trash/add swag.

Edited by sunsetmeadowlark

I've got on one my property under my front porch. As I live in a congested neighborhood, some people are reluctant to walk onto private property, but it was the only way I could set this particular cache up. I emphasised in the cache description that it was about 7 feet off of the sidewalk on private property and that all the neighbors were cool with it, but a lot of people write to me about the fear of going onto someone else's property. Still, it's been published since June and has had over 40 people log finds and most have written about how much they enjoyed the cache in spite of their discomfort over the property thing.

In your case, it will depend on how close it is to your house, how urban your area is and how you word your cache description. Just step back a bit and consider how YOU would feel doing your cache if you weren't you. If it's something folks will remember as a really cool cache or something, I think it is worthwhile. Certainly for me, it's great for maintenance purposes.

We hid our very first cache on the "common area" just on the other side of our backyard fence, even though we are to take care of the stretch of "common area" that borders our fence (so then I feel that its not "common area", but that's another topic.). You have to go up a slight hill side to get to it. We're also making a cache that would blend into a "urban front yard foliage" environment.

I have one on my front porch. It is a true Large cache, and seems well recieved. Clearly described on the cache page that it is at my house, the neighbors don't mind, and its a safe place for TBs. I can understand some people aren't comfortable with these type of caches but I like to meet people, that's a big draw of caching for me, I travel a lot but I always know I will meet like-minded individuals wherever I go through caching.

I'd guess that we've found about a dozen caches in someone's yard. The first one was "weird," and I thought we'd made a mistake somehow. Thankfully, it was right by the curb, and we didn't have to venture off the road.

We've done others that are quite far into people's yards. That's not bad if it's a huge lot and the coords are good, but it gets interesting when the lot is small and the cache is on the property line between two houses. In that case, we're really hoping the cache owner puts the house number somewhere on the cache page.

I've hid 2 on family owned rural property ( no one around to bother you ) and one large one is bolted to a tree in front of my house ( Chiefs I-10 TB Hotel). All the neighbors know about it and we've met quite a few cachers that way.

I've found quite a few on private ( home ) property and I have no problem with them.....after all there're there with permission and sometimes you get to meet nice folks.