CrossRoads Crosses

GerbilMafia

I have a pretty strong opinion on hiding caches and playing a "game" at crosses that mark someone’s death along roads and highways. I think it's tacky at very least, I'll keep it at that. I have been wondering how the overall geocaching community feels about this. If ya'll think it's ok then I'll shut up. I wonder if the family of the deceased would approve??

I have to agree with you GerbilMafia on that one. I didn't know there were any out there like that. But if the caches are placed in the same respect as they would be in a cemetery, then it's not too tacky.

Respect should always be considered in placing caches near memorials (or gravesites), as someone can get the wrong impression of geocaching and we'd all pay for a few problem caches.

There are some caches like that in the NEI-GEO area. They are placed with the same respect as caches in cemeteries. They are not on the crosses, rather they are nearby.

I do agree with the whole dangerous situation comment, but how is it any different than pulling off the side of the road with your blinkers on for other caches, like old, small, country cemeteries?

Bottom line is that these caches were placed with respect. And they draw attention to how many casualties occur on our roads every year. If we all took a moment to actually look at these crosses and see how many of them there are out there, then maybe that will help to slow everyone down and drive with a little more care.

Straight from my state lawmaker. Indiana Code #8-23-1-38 and #8-23-20-6 makes roadside memorials on state roads illegal. City and counties can adopt these codes. I guess it is up to the reviewer to know each counties codes.

Does that make the cache near them illegal?

Straight from my state lawmaker. Indiana Code #8-23-1-38 and #8-23-20-6 makes roadside memorials on state roads illegal. City and counties can adopt these codes. I guess it is up to the reviewer to know each counties codes.

Thats funny, because there is a memorial on US 231 on the north side of Greencastle for a Deputy Sherriff who was killed there and I believe it was placed by the Sherriffs department. :D

Well since they are illegal. They should not be there and then you would have no reason to place a cache for a memorial area. No said the cache was illegal, just show some respect.

For some reason some feel that because it is state, county, or city property (so called public property) that you can do anything you want. Just because it is a ROW does not give you premission to place a cache.

Ruling in Colorado

Read the link above and how they ruled on Public property.

Thats funny, because there is a memorial on US 231 on the north side of Greencastle for a Deputy Sherriff who was killed there and I believe it was placed by the Sherriffs department. :D

Look at the link I just posted. They have something in there about something similier.

Your reference is not for a state road, but a federal road.

Either way, I think it's tacky and disrespectful. Can't you find a better place for a cache?

brad

If you replied to me, US 231 is also State Road 43, calling it by either name is correct, but folks here prefer to use 231 now. When I was a kid though, evryone called it 43, times change. :):)

Yikes, I hesitate to post but.....

I have a problem with a lot of caches that are poorly placed with no thought given to the future seekers. Typically, we don't know the area so we don't know where to park. More often than not, nothing is mentioned in the description. I'm not comfortable pulling off the side of the road and hunting in a ROW. I'm not comfortable parking ON the road to search a bridge. Yes, it may be a gorgeous, historic bridge. But if it's a narrow lane, with no pull-off parking, it becomes dangerous. And unless specific directions are given, you can put yourself in danger trying to look along this bridge/overpass if a car comes through.

That being said, I exercise my own prudence and just drive on by. It frustrates some people who cache with me, but I look at like a 'vote'. If I find the cache, I'm only endorsing the poor practice. To each his own though. I know cachers that NEVER pass one up. I pass up lots of them.

But really cooks my goose is to be a goodly ways from home, in an unfamiliar area, trying to figure out HOW to get around a 4 acre lake so I can park somewhere besides someone's driveway!

These type of caches probably fall into the category of ill-placed caches. If I don't like 'em, I won't sign 'em and they won't get MY vote.

I think it's too easy for people to place caches without giving too much thought about what they're doing. I'd be pretty ticked to find a tupperware container strapped to my parents grave with a geo sticker on it! (And I'm a cacher!)

This has become rather routine for me, it seems. I stop. I figure i'm only hurting myself not logging the find. The only time I drive by them is when it's dark, or I have to be somewhere by a certain time. I really HATE night caching.

I certainly feel your pain though, as I do not have a big 4WD SUV i can just park in the ditch. This year has been kind to my small car, however, with the dry weather i've had little trouble getting off the road.

I do appreciate parking coordinates if the parking is particularly hard to find, or not an obvious place.

Any hide on a gravestone is illegally placed, unless direct family of the person buried there has approved it. This falls under the "defacing property" guideline.

Haven't seen any like that, but I have a pretty strong opinion about the crosses themselves.

I've told my family if I'm killed in a crash and someone puts a cross up there I'll come back and haunt them for it.

The memorial should be placed at the grave, or if cremated then at home. To say more I wouldn't be very polite.

I AGREE and will pick up where you left off. The roadside crosses themselves are tacky. Nothing more than roadside trash IMHO ;) . Besides the obvious safety concerns, why would I be interested in finding a cache on or near one of these anyways ;) ?

Of course why do we go in search of caches under lamp skirts?

I like LPCs and here is why. I make a game out it. It's quite fun and I readily recommend you try this the next time. The rule is...you cannot set your feet on the ground. You have to reach it from the car! Some are easy, almost like a McDonald's Drive-Thru. Others are lower and, quite frankly, require keen driving skills and agility. Sometimes, if Miss.Betsy is with me, I just don't QUITE pull up close enough. But she's young and limber! If you look at like the game it was intended, it's more fun to play! (But I'm quirky like that!)

I like LPCs and here is why. I make a game out it. It's quite fun and I readily recommend you try this the next time. The rule is...you cannot set your feet on the ground. You have to reach it from the car! Some are easy, almost like a McDonald's Drive-Thru. Others are lower and, quite frankly, require keen driving skills and agility. Sometimes, if Miss.Betsy is with me, I just don't QUITE pull up close enough. But she's young and limber! If you look at like the game it was intended, it's more fun to play! (But I'm quirky like that!)

That's it go and ruin all the non fun by having fun anyway...Some people. Sheesh. :laughing:

After my earlier post I cached over the weekend and actually found my first three of these. 2 of the 3 were quite dangerous in blind spots with fast moving traffic. One had the cache actually hidden behind the cross.

I am not sure how I feel about them except that they were quite dangerous.

Oh! I would be so ticked off at that!

Gas is just too expensive to go out and hunt for something you don't even want to be looking for in the first place! (Did that make sense?!)

After my earlier post I cached over the weekend and actually found my first three of these. 2 of the 3 were quite dangerous in blind spots with fast moving traffic. One had the cache actually hidden behind the cross.

Gas is just too expensive to go out and hunt for something you don't even want to be looking for in the first place! (Did that make sense?!)

There is a very simple solution to that ...... DONT HUNT THEM if you dont like em ... not every cache has something that you are going to like , not every location will you like ... some you can look at the cache page and just say no to ... No place is it written that one has to find every cache placed ... Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh I just don't understand why people feel they have to degrade put down or *insert 4 letter word here* about something they can simply avoid if they choose to .

Star

There is a very simple solution to that ...... DONT HUNT THEM if you dont like em ... not every cache has something that you are going to like , not every location will you like ... some you can look at the cache page and just say no to ... No place is it written that one has to find every cache placed ... Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh I just don't understand why people feel they have to degrade put down or *insert 4 letter word here* about something they can simply avoid if they choose to .

Star

I think you indirectly answered your own question -- information about cache quality and desirability is not something that can always be found via the cache page. So all too often you actually have to go to the cache site (spending money and time) only to discover that it is a cache that you do not wish to look for.

Also some people worry about the overall respectability of Geocaching in the public's eyes. Having a newspaper report that geocaching is all about stopping on busy and dangerous highways in order to morbidly look at roadside accident sites would not be very conducive to the public appreciating our hobby, eh? Fortunately I do not think that any newspaper has reported such ... but it could happen.

Star

Ouch! Pardon me! I realize that I won't like every cache. There are lots that I read and don't go after for whatever reasons I may have. There are lots that I drive to and don't attempt for reasons that are important to me. I rarely insert certain 4 letter words into my logs. I never expect to find every cache placed, nor have I obsessed over trying to accomplish that. I take the time to post a log that contains more than TNLNSLTYFTH. I was just offering up a little support to a fellow cacher that had encountered something that would have ticked me off. I didn't realize that I should have donned armor prior to posting. I'll keep my hands to myself lest they get bit.

Star

I think you indirectly answered your own question -- information about cache quality and desirability is not something that can always be found via the cache page. So all too often you actually have to go to the cache site (spending money and time) only to discover that it is a cache that you do not wish to look for.

Also some people worry about the overall respectability of Geocaching in the public's eyes. Having a newspaper report that geocaching is all about stopping on busy and dangerous highways in order to morbidly look at roadside accident sites would not be very conducive to the public appreciating our hobby, eh? Fortunately I do not think that any newspaper has reported such ... but it could happen.

Well we have in fact spent much time solving puzzle caches only to find that when we also got to the said cache site that it was still out of our grasp .. why .. well its because we did find the cache but we didn't sign the log ... you see we couldnt reach the cache as it was way up in a tree and we did not want to risk life or limb ( the trees or ours ) in order to retreive said cache . This was a dangerous cache we loved solving the puzzle and we at least know we did find the cache however we couldnt log a find .

So you see everyone has stories of such a nature . Should we complain about them all ... I think if that actually happened there would eventually be no caches left to find ... or no new caches being placed . If we are going to discuss dangerous caches lets include them all .

Star

Well we have in fact spent much time solving puzzle caches only to find that when we also got to the said cache site that it was still out of our grasp .. why .. well its because we did find the cache but we didn't sign the log ... you see we couldnt reach the cache as it was way up in a tree and we did not want to risk life or limb ( the trees or ours ) in order to retreive said cache . This was a dangerous cache we loved solving the puzzle and we at least know we did find the cache however we couldnt log a find .

So you see everyone has stories of such a nature . Should we complain about them all ... I think if that actually happened there would eventually be no caches left to find ... or no new caches being placed . If we are going to discuss dangerous caches lets include them all .

Star

:huh:

Let's discuss them, start the topic. This one is on Cross Road Memorial Crosses and geocaches.

B);)

Star

Let's discuss them, start the topic. This one is on Cross Road Memorial Crosses and geocaches.

B);)

Discuss what ... something that you dont like but someone else may ?

But only as long as it is on "your" terms right ... and as long as one agrees with the op or those that do ?

Yeah think I got it now ...

Star

;)B)

Discuss what ... something that you dont like but someone else may ?

But only as long as it is on "your" terms right ... and as long as one agrees with the op or those that do ?

Yeah think I got it now ...

I am not the one coming into this topic and throwing around four letter words. Maybe we can get Groundspeak to change their rules on events and the timeline required to post an event.

Then we can plan an event around funerals and then the cache at the memorial site.

I am not the one coming into this topic and throwing around four letter words. Maybe we can get Groundspeak to change their rules on events and the timeline required to post an event.

Then we can plan an event around funerals and then the cache at the memorial site.

I never thought of it that way. People dying = more caches... Awesome!! Count me in for that event. How about places where people have been murdered or suicide locations?? I know of few bridges. Better yet, there's a place here in Peru where a guy threw himself in front of the train, that would make a great hiding place. There isn't a line we won't cross in geocaching, forget about respect and all that crap, I gotta game to play here.

Note to moderators - the above is an attempt at sarcasim in order to make a point. Geocaching at road side memorials shows no tact or respect and will give this game a bad name if allowed to continue.

Edited by GerbilMafia

I think everyone needs to be reminded that Geocaching.com is a listing service, and has few rules other than those put in place by government or other regulations. I'm not supporting these caches, but they obey the rules, and even if there was a rule change, they would still be grandfathered and allowed to stay. I am fairly sure Groundspeak is not going to make any new rules concerning this.

If you don't like them, put them on your ignore list. It's as simple as that, really.

I never thought of it that way. People dying = more caches... Awesome!! Count me in for that event. How about places where people have been murdered or suicide locations?? I know of few bridges. Better yet, there's a place here in Peru where a guy threw himself in front of the train, that would make a great hiding place. There isn't a line we won't cross in geocaching, forget about respect and all that crap, I gotta game to play here.

Note to moderators - the above is an attempt at sarcasim in order to make a point. Geocaching at road side memorials shows no tact or respect and will give this game a bad name if allowed to continue.

Sarcasm aside, people die where they live. We live where our forbearer's have died. We cache in our own human graveyard. The only thing that changes is that when you put a marker up, now you know. Before you never gave it much thought. We are not lacking respect for the dead if we fish where someone drowned, drive where someone crashed, or work where someone had a heart attack. That's life. Caching is ok when we don't know. It's ok when we do. If now that you are aware you feel a little due is owed. Pay it and get on with life.