Allowing Geocaches onto GRCA Lands

M3J

I know this might be a little bit of cross posting but I wanted to point out a major advance I made with the Grand River Conservation Authority today in terms of allowing geocaches onto their properties (within some strict guidelines). I don't want to waste too much time here but rather, if you are interested, please read my update on our Oktobercache post here in the Canada Forum for more information.

This might be the first step in showing conservation authorities that Geocaching and protecting the environment can work!

Wow, great day for geocaching progress with these guys. ted and I met with the Superintendant of Laurel Creek today and he is almost giving us carte blanche access. He just wants to ensure they know where the caches are and that they are not on sensitive lands. He also wants to make sure that people do not go on property during non operating hours or on the ski trails in the winter. Once we hammer out the details, there will be new live caches allowed at Laurel Creek starting with our Oktobercache Event on Oct 6th.

One small step for K/W cachers, one giant leap for cacherkind!

You assume correctly BQ. :(

Mike (M3J) did a nice job getting a foot in the door with the Laurel Creek superintendent. I offered to tag along as the OGA rep for Waterloo Region.

The supt. seemed familiar with geocaching and didn't have any problem with the idea in general. As we discussed issues like placing caches close to the trails and staying away from any environmentally sensitive areas (there are some wetlands here) he seemed quite comfortable with having a few caches here. Other stipulations were to make people aware of the entry fees for the park, hours of operation, and to stay off the groomed cross-country ski trails in the winter.

I printed up some OGA geocaching brochures as well as the application forms and geocaching policies of the Hamilton and Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authorities and left them with him so he could see what has worked in other areas. He seemed interested in those and I wouldn't doubt if they come up with a similar plan.

As Mike mentioned, it will likely begin with us placing some loggable caches (3 or 4) for the OktoberCache event. It's looking very positive that this will all work out.

Big thanks to M3J for getting the ball rolling with the GRCA! :o

Edited by ElectroQTed

I know this might be a little bit of cross posting but I wanted to point out a major advance I made with the Grand River Conservation Authority today in terms of allowing geocaches onto their properties (within some strict guidelines). I don't want to waste too much time here but rather, if you are interested, please read my update on our Oktobercache post here in the Canada Forum for more information.

This might be the first step in showing conservation authorities that Geocaching and protecting the environment can work!

This is an old thread. I have a bit of an update.

I talked to the Manager of conservation area operations for all of the GRCA. He indicated that the GRCA is looking at implementing an official policy. It will most likely resemble the policies of Hamilton and Halton. I wrote more about this on my blog Cachemania