Do not click on this unless you are 18 !

Nish4

Nope I do not get that advert!!!!! Where on the page is it displayed Nish4?

The page has two banners on it, one after the first three cache listings you will see the first and about 15 down you will get the add referred to above. I see it has changed to "Want to see something scary ? must be over 18"

I am not a premium member.

Nope I do not get that advert!!!!! Where on the page is it displayed Nish4?

The page has two banners on it, one after the first three cache listings you will see the first and about 15 down you will get the add referred to above. I see it has changed to "Want to see something scary ? must be over 18"

I am not a premium member.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=165

If you are logged in as a premium member you will not see the ads.

Despite ad blocks, in Firefox, IE, and Avant, the Google ads are still visible. The banner ads are blocked. If you search the web, there is a way to "block" the google ads. All it does is display a blank instead of the ad, so still quite irritating.

2 ways, not real effective solutions though:-

1. edit your hosts file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and add

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

2. Switch Javascript off

Nish4, you can report the advert as inappropriate, there's a "feedbank" link on the bottom right of the ad. While the link through is a relatively harmless site (one of those SMS your names and see if you're a perfect match for each other thing) I agree that it's inappropriate for a site which is family orientated and sent my feedback to google ads.

There's also a thread on the main forum regarding the advertising, you may want to add some response there for TPTB.

Edited by GlobalRat

Globalrat, can you please link that thread on the adverts complaints to this string? I tried to post but got blocked.

Doesn't care what is the ad actually about, if it is for over 18 years old then it is inappropriate for this sport and its forum.

Thanks

LeonW

Globalrat, can you please link that thread on the adverts complaints to this string? I tried to post but got blocked.

Doesn't care what is the ad actually about, if it is for over 18 years old then it is inappropriate for this sport and its forum.

Thanks

LeonW

I submitted the following yesterday -

Ticket ID: EHD-643559

Subject: Distasteful adverts on the Groundspeak pages

Department: Public Relations

Priority: Critical

Will wait for a response.

Thanks GR for the pic.

Thanks

LeonW

Hi LeonW

For the ad referred to above the complaints link is Complaint

Page down and click on "Send Google your thoughts on the site or the ads you just saw"

Each ad generates it's own link. I see that some of the "Over 18 ads" do not have complaints links, so I guess these will need to be taken up with Groundspeak.

Some feedback from Eric -

Hello,

We appreciate your concern and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Groundspeak does not condone questionable material being posted to our web sites, in any form by any source. However, in order to resolve this issue we need a screenshot of the advertisement in question.

(mail edited as the process was explained how to attach the pages in question)

Eric

Groundspeak, Inc.

Ticket Details

===================

Department: Geocaching

Info sent through and a follow up from Eric -

Hi John,

Perfect! Thank you for providing that information. I will investigate and take appropriate action.

Eric

Groundspeak, Inc.

Ticket Details

===================

Department: Geocaching

The case is closed and we can be assured that our interests are always kept in mind at Groundspeak.

Thank you to Eric for his prompt reply and good service.