Best cache containers

Knobhiker

I'm really new at this sport. I've found 7 and hide 3 geocaches. The guidelines tell what makes for good containers caches, but it seems that in the real world they come in all kinds.

Yesterday I found a micro in a green gun powder tube. Had no idea what I was looking for - never saw a gun powder tube. But now I know! At the local army surplus store, the sales person told me a lot of geocachers like the waterproof wooden match containers. So I bought one of these little green waterproof containers. Great idea.

I bet there are some really bad cache containers, like a Pringles can someone mensioned in a post. But what about your favorites? I really like hiding caches and cool, effective containers need to be part of it!

I'm really new at this sport. I've found 7 and hide 3 geocaches. The guidelines tell what makes for good containers caches, but it seems that in the real world they come in all kinds.

Yesterday I found a micro in a green gun powder tube. Had no idea what I was looking for - never saw a gun powder tube. But now I know! At the local army surplus store, the sales person told me a lot of geocachers like the waterproof wooden match containers. So I bought one of these little green waterproof containers. Great idea.

I bet there are some really bad cache containers, like a Pringles can someone mensioned in a post. But what about your favorites? I really like hiding caches and cool, effective containers need to be part of it!

I commend you on your enthusiam! :anitongue:

You can purchase bright orange, waterproof match holders from Walmart for 87 cents.

I think almost every cacher on this forum will agree on one thing when it comes to geocaches, and that is the need for waterproof or water resistent containers. Nobody likes to find a cache container filled with water. Signing a moldy logbook is not fun.

My favorites are 30 Cal Ammo Cans, and Surplus Decon Containers.

Best

ammo cans

Actually I would start moving the revered ammo can a bit more down towards the bottom of the list of preferences.

After a meeting with the Project Manager at Fort Ord BLM lands, he made it quite clear the former recycled military hardware is NOT a very good choice in an area littered with unexploded ordinance. I'm going out today to replace my two remaining ammo can hides with some clear plastic Lock and Lock.

I get the feeling that the era of the Ammo Can is coming to a close :anitongue:

Best

ammo cans

Actually I would start moving the revered ammo can a bit more down towards the bottom of the list of preferences.

After a meeting with the Project Manager at Fort Ord BLM lands, he made it quite clear the former recycled military hardware is NOT a very good choice in an area littered with unexploded ordinance. I'm going out today to replace my two remaining ammo can hides with some clear plastic Lock and Lock.

That may be true in your area, but here in north Texas is still the prefered regular-size container.

Best

ammo cans

Uhmmm, NO!

Ammo cans rule.

Uhmmm, NO!

Ammo cans rule.

I'd be hesitant to hide an ammo can, pipe cache or really anything larger than a film cannister that is not translucent. You can be charged with a felony for placing a "hoax device" which amounts to anything the authorities think might be a bomb. (I believe that at least one geocacher has already been so charged.) It's a small risk, especially if the cache is placed in the woods where a bomb would not likely be placed, but IMO the advantages of ammo cans aren't worth the trouble they occasionally cause.

I'd be hesitant to hide an ammo can, pipe cache or really anything larger than a film cannister that is not translucent. You can be charged with a felony for placing a "hoax device" which amounts to anything the authorities think might be a bomb. (I believe that at least one geocacher has already been so charged.) It's a small risk, especially if the cache is placed in the woods where a bomb would not likely be placed, but IMO the advantages of ammo cans aren't worth the trouble they occasionally cause.

The secret is in the placement. I would never place an ammo box in an area that would cause any alarm. And ALL pipe caches should be forbidden. Ammo cans still rule around here. Never seen any problems with them anywhere in my area.

Best

ammo cans

Uhmmm, NO!

Ammo cans rule.

Yes, ammo cans make the "best" containers if all you consider is longevity and water resistance. But more and more land managers are requiring clear plastic containers, and I've never heard of a clear-plastic container (where you can see the contents) being blown up by a bomb squad. Also, you never hear of people stealing all the lock-n-locks out of an area like you hear about ammo can thieves.

Edited by J-Way

I figured out how to use the search mode and found two great articles on containers.

Now I have a problem. My first two hides were in tackle boxes. Seemed like a good idea. But from the above answers not mentioning them, and the article recommending against them, I have desided to switch them out for ammo can. The locations will accommodate the larger cans, and I believe that I can edit my geocache descriptions after I change them out.

Is this bad form to change the container? What you think? Change them or leave them?

.......and - keep in mind the bombs in london were placed in clear plastic containers - why a metal can should be viewed with fear is hard to understand.

With a clear container, you can see what's inside without opening it. If there's a pen and notebook, keychain, coins, toys, etc. it will allay fears. If it's a metal can, you can't tell what is inside without opening it. Opening it risks setting off the bomb, if it is one. Add that to the fact that it looks "military" and it arouses fear and suspicion.

I don't think there is a better 'regular' container than an ammo can, either .30 or .50 cal. I lean toward the .50, if it's hidable. Much more room for stuff. Of course, you have to use your head when hiding it. If it's a sensitive area, use a 'lock-n-lock'.

As for micros, I'll nominate two good ones. First, the 'preforms' used for making soda bottles. They are about 5 inches long by 1 inch diameter, with a waterproof cap, and if you lose the cap, just get one from a soda bottle. Almost indestructible!

Another is the plastic containers that Glucose Test Strips come in. Nearly impossible to get the lid on crooked, and there is a desiccant in the lid to keep things nice and dry. Cover either of these with cloth camo tape, and they are very hard to find!

What is a lockn lock container?

It's like tupperware, except the lid has a latch on each of the four edges.

Lock N Lock available at Groundspeak

....and it has the all important rubber seal to keep it mostly waterproof. Also made of UV stabilized plastic so it doesn't turn brittle as quickly as some plastics do when left outdoors.

Edited by StarBrand

If you would like more size options on the Lock & Locks than Groundspeak has, you can find more sizes here.

In my experience Lock & Locks can really give the ammo cans a run for their money, especially when it comes to different sizes. However in the really long term I think the ammo can still wins......

Edited by logonwheeler

I find that most containers leak. I've even had water get into my match containers. I think somebody may have overtightened the problem ones. I've used rubber roofing material, weather stripping and even rubber mouse pads to try to keep the rain out.

I myself make most of my geocaches. To me making the containers is as much fun as hiding them. Camouflaged PVC pipe is good if you plug one end with a tightenable rubber plug. A little water will get in that too it the plug is kept upright. It gets by the threads and collects over the rubber seal. Then when someone opens it the little bit of water pours inside. I overcame that by putting a PVC cap on top of the plug. The cap needs to stay on and needs to be bigger than the plug however. It cats as an umbrella.

This is probably beyond what the majority of geocachers will want to do because of the time involved, but most of my caches are homemade birdhouses. They shed water and muggles walk right past them. I wrote about one of them here . The houses I make are all different as well.

To camouflage PVC I cover it with camouflaged duct tape then paint that using Rustoleum camouflage paint. The tape fades badly so I paint it. The paint sticks to the tape better than to the PVC and the tape sticks well to the PVC. I also wrinkle the tape on purpose to add texture.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom