Help please....

Fish Eagle

I'm wanting to get back into software development again after a layoff of 10 years, and need to upgrade my skills and development tools into the 21st century. In the past (which goes back quite some time...), I have designed and written business systems in Assembler, Cobol, Basic, DBase, Xbase, Clipper, Visual Basic, Delphi, and probably some other languages which I've already forgotten.

I would appreciate advice about which languages, development tools, database types, etc are currently in vogue for developing business systems, and which new tricks will be the easiest for an old dog to learn.

If you think you can help, please drop me an email.

I'm wanting to get back into software development again after a layoff of 10 years, and need to upgrade my skills and development tools into the 21st century. In the past (which goes back quite some time...), I have designed and written business systems in Assembler, Cobol, Basic, DBase, Xbase, Clipper, Visual Basic, Delphi, and probably some other languages which I've already forgotten.

I would appreciate advice about which languages, development tools, database types, etc are currently in vogue for developing business systems, and which new tricks will be the easiest for an old dog to learn.

If you think you can help, please drop me an email.

Hi

One of two main routes to go. Either Linux/Unix or Microsoft.

I myself work in a Microsoft environment.

The new age programming language is .net and there essentially are two languages used here in S.A. the one is c# (which I am starting to use) and the other is VB.net.

c# is based on Java, and C (or so I hear) and has taken the best of both languages.

I am relatively new to C#, and really starting to love it over my VB6 / ASP3 development tools.

Microsoft has made available a free version of the c# development environment, for the hobbyist, and could get you started. There are also free/ open source IDEs available for the .Net framework.

If you need more info, let me know.

Regards

Anton

Hi Andy

Assembler, Cobol, Basic, DBase, Xbase, Clipper - All died a while ago

Visual Basic, Delphi, C#, C++ - Still around for PC based applications.

Perl, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET - The stuff used most of the time to develop web based applications.

I think PHP and ASP.NET and Java are the three main ones used today and then C#, VB and Delphi next.

Enjoy

Cheers

Andrew

I think PHP and ASP.NET and Java are the three main ones used today and then C#, VB and Delphi next.

Fair advice but keep in mind that you'll be standing in line with loads of people all eager to do the 'latest and greatest' out there.

Hmm, I'm not sure I can agree on this one... I operated (and still do) in the so-called 'dead' zone for many years and I can assure you that cobol skills can still land you a pretty good job and in some cases cobol is even more sought after than the more current skills. The thing is that the young IT professional of today doesn't want anything to do with dusty cobol and the likes but there are still many huge systems out there using cobol. Certainly here in europe there is a shortage of old dusty skills, so if you're considering international employment, don't chuck your collectors item cobol manual yet :laughing:

Fair advice but keep in mind that you'll be standing in line with loads of people all eager to do the 'latest and greatest' out there.

Hmm, I'm not sure I can agree on this one... I operated (and still do) in the so-called 'dead' zone for many

Yep Cobol and the other languages are still around, but I think that there is no longer active development done using those languages. Most of the new development is done either in .Net or Java (and PHP). Although the older languages could have high paying jobs, it would be more in line with maintaining these systems.

Hi Andy,

I am in the software development environment, so if you have more detailed questions, you can always contact me via email, but the above really covers most where I am currently.

Java - JBoss in the "open source" environment seems to be catching on quickly, even in the large financial institutions (banks). A lot of PHP, with MySQL in the web development environment. (How about website development)

If you need to upskill/get training let me know, I have a list of some good online/free training options you can make use of.

Let me know what you are looking for specifically and maybe I can give more guidance (or bad info) :-)

Talk to you soon!