Etrex Vista HCx Questions

deltaf508

Hello all, first time poster here and from what I've seen this looks like one of the best GPS user sites I've seen. I'm wondering whether or not this would be a good unit for me to start out with. I work in IT/computers so having "the very best" sometimes clouds my judgement, but from the looks of this unit it seems to good to be true. This would be my very first GPS, I have a friend who has the Vista Cx and I've looked it over. It looks great for functionality, etc. The higher sensitivity of the HCx seems like it's getting great reviews so far. My question is whether or not everyone here thinks that the few bugs that are still haunting this new unit will be worked out.

I would be buying it from Amazon.com for those that are curious. I know that there are lower priced places to buy it, but I happen to have $175 worth of Amazon gift certificates that will go a long way...making my "real" cost only about $70 (how can I pass that up) :anitongue:

My primary uses for it would be: Geocaching (I've been wanting to get into this for a long time), Fishing, Hiking, Mtn Biking, anything outdoors, and for general navigation/having fun.

So for those of you that have this unit (or those that know a lot about it, should I just pull the trigger and do it? Let me know what you think.

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

I suggest that you look at the Vista eTrex mini reviews in another part of this forum. There is a lot of discussion going on about the pro's and con's of the HCx series. I just sent mine back (I purchase it in late July) because of a power on problem. Garmin seemed to be good about supplying the RMA number and I hope to have my unit back by the end of this week if all goes well. I understand that they very often just send another unit - I won't know about that until I get mine back.

As far as it's operation, it took some time to get used to it. I had a Garmin 60 CS before that. The HCx was definitely more sensitive and seemed to provide a better accuracy - especially in dense tree cover. I liked that because many of the caches that I go after are in wooded areas with dense tree cover. Before I sent it back, I did notice that I started to have a lot of signal bounce - especially when using the compass. I didn't play with it enough to find out if something else was wrong or if this was just my imagination. I'm still relatively new to using a GPS so I'm learning as time goes on.

One thing that I especially liked about the unit was using it for on-road travel. I purchased the US maps on an SD chip and when I asked it to take me to a certain location, it did a pretty good job - it was even pretty quick at recalculating the route if I deviated at all.

I'm sure that you will get a lot of other opinions about this so I will be anxious to see what others have to say.

Good luck and happy caching (when you start).

Thanks, Yes I've read through the entire mini-reviews post. It seems like some firmware revisions have already taken place so they are in the process of working through issues. So I am both leary, but confident that it will be taken care of. Working with computers I understand how revisions go so that part doesn't scare me as much. Sounds like everyone is pretty happy with the unit overall and that's what I really look at. This one has everything I'd like in a GPS (from what I know about them) and there's really only about $20-$40 between the Cx and the HCx so my theory is why not buy that is best on the market right now. Instead of going older and being outdated within a year.

Thanks for your comments, nice to see your enjoying yours (hopefully you'll be back at it quickly). Anyone else have any thoughts.

I have had the Vista C for more than two years, and it has been a great unit. It will soon be my "spare" GPSr because I just ordered the HCx. I prefer the smaller size of the eTrex units as compared to the GPS Map60CSx and 76CSx, although many people prefer those models, perhaps for their "cool" factor . . .:anitongue:

deltaf508

Hi Delta, let me cut to the chase here and get one thing straight. Getting the Vista HCx is a no brainer. It's not like comparing a really good sports car like a Dino Ferrari with say, your average ford ute, where the price difference is equivalent to mortgaging your house. No, the difference between the Vista HCx, the current Rolls Royce of hand held gps and say a piece of crap that will still get you where you need to be, like for example the basic yellow etrex, is only a couple of hundred bucks, peanuts.

I've just gotten rid of my old b/w Vista and the new HCx is astounding for it's accuracy, in Australia where we do not have WAAS it is still reading 3 metres where my old Vista would be lucky to get 6 metres. I did some blind tests today and it took me consistently to within two steps of the target.

And I now get reception in the middle of my house with a tin roof whereas I used to lose reception stepping onto my balcony. The software controls are pretty good but there is room for improvement though. It's bright and easy to read and the battery life even with the compass on all day is at least double my old Vista. Life is too short to get anything less.

The only annoying thing about getting the Vista HCx is that you will have nothing to pine over for quite some time. With regards to the 60CSx I can't imagine why anyone would want one unless they absolutely have to have a serial connection and an external antenna. The screen has no more resolution.

One other thing, you'll probably want to get an Invisible Shield for it but we have yet to establish which one is the one that fits properly, (see the "what's wrong with these people" thread) but we should have an answer within a week.

Edited by gallet

deltaf508

Hi Delta, let me cut to the chase here and get one thing straight. Getting the Vista HCx is a no brainer. It's not like comparing a really good sports car like a Dino Ferrari with say, your average ford ute, where the price difference is equivalent to mortgaging your house. No, the difference between the Vista HCx, the current Rolls Royce of hand held gps and say a piece of crap that will still get you where you need to be, like for example the basic yellow etrex, is only a couple of hundred bucks, peanuts.

I've just gotten rid of my old b/w Vista and the new HCx is astounding for it's accuracy, in Australia where we do not have WAAS it is still reading 3 metres where my old Vista would be lucky to get 6 metres. I did some blind tests today and it took me consistently to within two steps of the target.

And I now get reception in the middle of my house with a tin roof whereas I used to lose reception stepping onto my balcony. The software controls are pretty good but there is room for improvement though. It's bright and easy to read and the battery life even with the compass on all day is at least double my old Vista. Life is too short to get anything less.

The only annoying thing about getting the Vista HCx is that you will have nothing to pine over for quite some time. With regards to the 60CSx I can't imagine why anyone would want one unless they absolutely have to have a serial connection and an external antenna. The screen has no more resolution.

One other thing, you'll probably want to get an Invisible Shield for it but we have yet to establish which one is the one that fits properly, (see the "what's wrong with these people" thread) but we should have an answer within a week.

Gallet,

Well with a review like that how could I go wrong. :anitongue: Actually what you mention is kind of what I've been thinking. I don't understand how the pricepoint between this unit and others is so close if the unit it so great. Either way looks like I'll get a good deal out of it. :anitongue: Thanks for taking the time to say what you did...it helps confirm what I've been reading about it. Looking more and more like this will be the one.

Thanks

Edited by deltaf508

Regarding the price differentials between models it's all a bit meaningless these days. You get a lot of people say things like "I'm only a beginner and I don't want anything too fancy a basic yellow eTrex will do me just fine. But unlelss they are really tight on cash, it's a mistake. But it's a mistake that Garmin is happy to encourage because then they get to sell another one later. Another thing people don't consider enough is battery life. Believe me at the rate these things chew through batteries it does make a difference. Also note that the compass on the HCx is far, far more efficient than the old b/w Vista.

You'll probably find this amusing to read, it compares the SirfStarIII with the Media Tek chipset

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=5

I am considering the Hcx to replace my CX that I only got in March. One for the accuracy and two for the double waypoints. I have to dump my local waypoints anytime I go out of town, sure would be nice to have 1000. I will gladly take a loss to sell to someone who can't afford new to have these added conveniences, the longer battery life of the Vista is what put me off of the 60CSX.

Thanks everyone! I put my order in yesterday for one! I can't wait until it gets here, been hitting refresh on my Amazon status page and it hasn't shipped yet. Get on with it - I'm waiting for my GPS people!

Thanks for all the help I'm sure I'll be sticking around with more questions once my unit arrives. Downloaded the manual and am going to read it ahead of time to get a jump start. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

I am considering the Hcx to replace my CX that I only got in March. One for the accuracy and two for the double waypoints. I have to dump my local waypoints anytime I go out of town, sure would be nice to have 1000. I will gladly take a loss to sell to someone who can't afford new to have these added conveniences, the longer battery life of the Vista is what put me off of the 60CSX.

Hallycat, I don't want to stop you from upgrading....I just got my new Vista HCx this week!, but if you do an upgrade on your current CX, it will probably give you the 1000 waypoints. I did the firmware update on my plan old Vista and it changed it so I could have 1000 waypoints. :P But with that being said, the new HCx is AWESOME! There is NO COMPARISON to the old one! Very happy I upgraded! :)

Shadwick