My Garmin 60csx screen goes black?

Does it happen every day at sunset and switch back to the normal screen at sunrise?

I have a 76C; it should be the same.

Menu - Setup - Display - Display Mode has 3 choices - Daytime, Nighttime, Auto (switches back and forth)

It could be the above answer or check your backlighting.

Does it happen every day at sunset and switch back to the normal screen at sunrise?

I have a 76C; it should be the same.

Menu - Setup - Display - Display Mode has 3 choices - Daytime, Nighttime, Auto (switches back and forth)

yup - amazing how many cachers I run across that never connected it with sunset.

Its amazing ot me how many cachers buy a $300 to $500 device and never read the manual. Back lighting for day and night are different. Read your manual.

Page 67 of the manual talks about changing the "screen display color scheme" for day and night viewing.

It says nothing about the map page background going black during the night time.

I tried the same color scheme as daytime for the night time.

The map page still stayed black.

Who knew (but you) that the auto button did more that just switch "color schemes".

Guess if I would have used more patience I would of figured it out on my own.

Thought this was a friendly forum.

Turns out it may be just like every other forum on the net.

Full of know-it-alls.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Guess you got another chuckle from a newbie with cash shooting out of every pocket.

Just wanted to buy a good gps.

My bad.

Its amazing ot me how many cachers buy a $300 to $500 device and never read the manual. Back lighting for day and night are different. Read your manual.

Page 67 of the manual talks about changing the "screen display color scheme" for day and night viewing.

It says nothing about the map page background going black during the night time.

Just for the record (and future readers who might find this useful):

On page 68 of my manual, it says:

---

Display Mode--sets the display to Day, Night, or Auto mode. Select Auto to automatically switch from day to night at sunset and change back at sunrise.

---

--Larry

The black background is so that the screen isn't blindingly bright where it doesn't need to be. If the background were yellow still you probably would just outright lose any nightvision you have and bump into trees. Good for others to watch, bad for caching.

The black background is so that the screen isn't blindingly bright where it doesn't need to be. If the background were yellow still you probably would just outright lose any nightvision you have and bump into trees. Good for others to watch, bad for caching.

You are right.

I thought it would be bad at night that way.

I went out at night today and I am glad it is that way for the very reason you stated.