Good time to buy a 60csx?

bobbyshaw

I've been looking around at purchacing a handheld GPS unit after getting to play around with a friend's Explorist 200. After much study and reading reviews here and elsewhere, I've decided to get me a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx.

I know Garmin has the $50 rebate through December, which I will take advantage of. But, IF you were in the market to purchase your first GPS unit, would you get one now, or wait until the new Magellan Triton line comes out? Would Garmin possibly lower their prices in the face of the competition of the new Magellan unit? Might the Magellan unit outshine any that Garmin has out right now?

I still have my friend's Magellan Explorist, and, although I like the ease of use of it, I've been quite disappointed with the LONG satellite pickup times in the mountains (it never picked up on one hike I took). So, there's no REAL rush for me to buy (except for me REALLY, REALLY wanting my own!)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Robert

Robert,

Why do you want to get the 60CSx? There's a reason that Garmin is giving the rebate, (which you can also get from the ebay stores) and that must be because know that the new H series have come out the 60's are not worth the price.

Do you need to put an external antenna on it? Do you need to run a serial connection? Then why get the 60CSx? The better choice is the Vista HCx, it's at least as accurate and probably more accurate, the screen sizes are *effectively* the same except the HCx is brighter, and the battery life is much better in the HCx which makes a considerable difference.

Edited by gallet

For gpsr's 60CSx is fairly new. While the etrex line has been around for a real long time. I can see them doing a new line of Etrex's which they have. However to take a fairly new line and revamp it, I seriously doubt they will come out with line to replace the 60CSx any time soon.

As for the triton line I already plan on ordering a 2000 when they come out. To replace my explorist 600.

Edited by storm180

For gpsr's 60CSx is fairly new. While the etrex line has been around for a real long time. I can see them doing a new line of Etrex's which they have. However to take a fairly new line and revamp it, I seriously doubt they will come out with line to replace the 60CSx any time soon.

As for the triton line I already plan on ordering a 2000 when they come out. To replace my explorist 600.

You may be right, but the 60 series would be the next logical choice to receive upgrade/revamp treatment. As you said, the e-trex line recently got its facelift.

I would not say that the 60 series is all that new. The 60C(S) came our (IIRC) in 2003. The x models gave it much needed uplift, but they cam out in 2006, and the programming architecture is not that different than it was in 2003. I would be very surprised if Garmin did not come out with a new Top-of-the-Line outdoor handheld within the next year.

And no, I do not believe that the eTrex Vista is a top of the line unit (or rather, I don't think it is intended to be) It is the top of the eTrex line, but I think the e-Trex is supposed to be the "mid line", and there is supposed to be an up line above it, and right now there is very little advantage to the 60C(S)x over the Legend/Vista. At least that is the way I see Garmin's marketing strategy.

Robert,

Why do you want to get the 60CSx? There's a reason that Garmin is giving the rebate, (which you can also get from the ebay stores) and that must be because know that the new H series have come out the 60's are not worth the price.

Do you need to put an external antenna on it? Do you need to run a serial connection? Then why get the 60CSx? The better choice is the Vista HCx, it's at least as accurate and probably more accurate, the screen sizes are *effectively* the same except the HCx is brighter, and the battery life is much better in the HCx which makes a considerable difference.

Well, based on the reviews and other threads on here... I'll be using this for multiple purposes: hiking, auto and bicycling. I like the buttons on the front layout of the 60CSx. Also, although the Vista has a clearer screen, the bigger screen (to me) would be better for car use... same as a 20 inch TV may look better than a 14 inch computer monitor from your couch across the room...

Also, I like the fact that Garmin has pretty much worked the bugs out of the 60CSx, but still has some work to do on the HCx.

One thing I WOULD like to do is get the feel of either or both of these... So far, I've just seen these two units online.

Robert

Robert,

Well, based on the reviews and other threads on here... I'll be using this for multiple purposes: hiking, auto and bicycling. I like the buttons on the front layout of the 60CSx. Also, although the Vista has a clearer screen, the bigger screen (to me) would be better for car use... same as a 20 inch TV may look better than a 14 inch computer monitor from your couch across the room...

Also, I like the fact that Garmin has pretty much worked the bugs out of the 60CSx, but still has some work to do on the HCx.

One thing I WOULD like to do is get the feel of either or both of these... So far, I've just seen these two units online.

Robert

I love my 60CSx, and I use it the way you describe (well not so much biking!) I like the front buttons, and it works good for me. Get what works for you and what you will be happy with.

Robert,

Your logic is impeccable, except for the small fact that this isn't the first time Garmin has given rebates on this model. It's at least the second or third time, that I know of, since the model was first introduced.

BTW, the 60CSx IS an "H" series, even if it doesn't have that letter in the model name. The H just means High Sensitivity Receiver, which the 60CSx is.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I just picked up a 60CSx this afternoon. The salesman at the store teaches GPS classes for the local REI and I asked him about the differences between the 60 and the Vista HCx and he went over the advantages and disadvantages of both and I decided the 60 was the better unit for my needs.

I will be using the 60 for some car navigation, and the screen size and buttons orientation gives it a little advantage in that category, I think...