Geocaches on International Paper Company Land

DASE

Does anybody have any dealing with geocaches on International Paper Company Land? I am exploring the idea of putting geocaches on the Speculator Bike Trail in Speculator, NY. It is a beautiful bike trail with one loop about 13 miles and the other about 7 miles. There are currently no geocaches here. The bike trail is free and open to the public from May to October. Only problem I have is that it is actually on private land. The land owners gave permission for the bike trail and are gracious enough to do that free of charge. They also state that hikers need to purchase hiking permits (no problem, we have something similar to this setup in NJ on the Newark Watershed). I would love to place a number of caches just a few feet off the trail but I'm not quite sure if this is a good idea or not. Does anyone have any experience dealing with the International Paper Company? Or any other suggestions?

Much of IP's holdings in NY have had conservation and recreation easements sold to NYS DEC. LINK

There should be public access allowed to portions of the land, but be careful. There are still leases held by hunt clubs, etc. that would restrict access. NYS DEC Link

You'll need to do some digging. I would first try the contact info on the trail, as Trucker Lee said. Good luck.