FIRST GEOCACHE OUTING

RV'n Iowans

OK, I am Hooked, Already :anitongue:

After waiting out the floods of '07 here in North Central Iowa, I was finally able to get out for my first official Geocache hunt. Hit two spots, finding both caches, with one having a really nice Geocoin Travel Bug that I retrieved and will move along to a new home. The first stop took just 15 minutes to find the cache (thought I was pretty cool :anitongue: ) but alas the second one, seeming no more difficult than the first, took 1 1/2 hours to find.(and then I think it was blind luck)

What I did learn today is that Ground Zero has a way of relocating itself, particularly when under a heavy canopy of trees. I can see this is going to be a sport, like any other, where there will be good days and bad. Today was one of "beginner's luck", I believe. Time will tell.

BTW, We have no intentions of posting every cache we find; Just wanted to share the news that we're underway and looking forward to the next outing.

Dick

OK, I am Hooked, Already :anitongue:

After waiting out the floods of '07 here in North Central Iowa, I was finally able to get out for my first official Geocache hunt. Hit two spots, finding both caches, with one having a really nice Geocoin Travel Bug that I retrieved and will move along to a new home. The first stop took just 15 minutes to find the cache (thought I was pretty cool :anitongue: ) but alas the second one, seeming no more difficult than the first, took 1 1/2 hours to find.(and then I think it was blind luck)

What I did learn today is that Ground Zero has a way of relocating itself, particularly when under a heavy canopy of trees. I can see this is going to be a sport, like any other, where there will be good days and bad. Today was one of "beginner's luck", I believe. Time will tell.

BTW, We have no intentions of posting every cache we find; Just wanted to share the news that we're underway and looking forward to the next outing.

Dick

Congrats Dick! Glad to hear you had fun. That's what it's all about!

BTW, We have no intentions of posting every cache we find; Just wanted to share the news that we're underway and looking forward to the next outing.Dick

Just curious as to why you don't want to post all your cache finds. I think the cache hiders would like to know that every cacher has had a good experience in others finding their caches and if you happen to not find a cache it also gives a head up to the cache hider that their might be a problem with it and it indeed might be missing so they like to know that as well. Enjoy the activity and have fun. That's what it is all about.

BTW, We have no intentions of posting every cache we find; Just wanted to share the news that we're underway and looking forward to the next outing.Dick

Just curious as to why you don't want to post all your cache finds. I think the cache hiders would like to know that every cacher has had a good experience in others finding their caches and if you happen to not find a cache it also gives a head up to the cache hider that their might be a problem with it and it indeed might be missing so they like to know that as well. Enjoy the activity and have fun. That's what it is all about.

I didn't mean I would never post any more cache finds, Haffy. I will definitely enjoy posting about significant finds, and also significant DNF's and silly mistakes I'll make. I want people to enjoy my posts, but not laden them with every little detail, if ya know what I mean. I will, of course, log in to the website every find and DNF I encounter, plus Benchmarks & Travelbugs found, too.

Dick

I didn't mean I would never post any more cache finds, Haffy. I will definitely enjoy posting about significant finds, and also significant DNF's and silly mistakes I'll make. I want people to enjoy my posts, but not laden them with every little detail, if ya know what I mean. I will, of course, log in to the website every find and DNF I encounter, plus Benchmarks & Travelbugs found, too.

Dick

Don't forget geo-coins. :anitongue: Geocoin owners also like to hear about their coins :anitongue:

Jim

Sounds to me like he is talking about posting his finds on this forum not what it sounds like others are thinking about logging his finds. Althought I may be incorrect.

Archer

That's how I took it as well, that he means he won't be posting every find in the forum.

Congrats on your first day out Dick. It is quite addicting, fun, frustrating, and all that.

Sounds to me like he is talking about posting his finds on this forum not what it sounds like others are thinking about logging his finds. Althought I may be incorrect.

Archer

That's how I took it as well, that he means he won't be posting every find in the forum.

Congrats on your first day out Dick. It is quite addicting, fun, frustrating, and all that.

You are correct, Archer & GPSTrucker; I don't intend to post about every single outing on the forum; only ones I feel would be interesting and/or helpful to others. I belong to some Metal Detecting forums where a handful of people post virtually everyday about their hunts, and then they wonder why not many respond; the reason being most of the posts are much the same from day to day; responders run out of responses :)

I will, of course, log all finds, DNFs at the proper places here at Geocaching.Com After all, this is my track record and the best way to remember where I been, what I've done! And it lets those who wish to view my profile know what I've been accomplishing (or not).

It was a fun first day; looking forward to the next time out :)