Sheildzone: what is wrong with these people?

gallet

I don't know how to write this post without it becoming a huge rant, but I'll do my best.

For some unfathomable reason Shieldzone are supplying shields that are the wrong size, and they are doing this deliberately and wilfully which is really starting to p155 me off.

I just bought a Vista Cx shield which should be the right one for my Vista HCx because they have the same screen right? Well you would think so but the one I've just put on is too big. Not very much too big maybe just a millimetre but that's enough to make it not sit right. It can be a bit too small but it cannot be a bit too big.

Maybe I should have bought the eTrex C series shield, or even the eTrex Legend C series shield instead of the eTrex Cx series shield. I mean either one of the three should be right because the screens are all the same. But obviously the Cx is not right. So now I have to get them to send me one of the other ones. Hopefully one of which will be correct.

Why is this happening? Maybe Shieldzone enjoy sending me out free replacement shields. I have to say that shieldzone have been very helpful and kind in sending out replacement shields but I don't really want replacement shields, I just want to buy one that fits and get on with my life. Is this too much to ask?

I first noticed this problem when I bought a shield for my old eTrex Summit but by the time the shield arrived I had sold it and bought an eTrex Vista instead. Now you'd think that wouldn't be a problem seeing as the screens are the same size. But it is a problem because the correct shield for the eTrex Vista was the basic eTrex shield. In fact the correct shield for the Summit was also the basic eTrex shield.

When I queried shieldzone they seemed to think I had a badly cut shield and sent me a replacement. Twice. It was some weeks later that I got to the bottom if it all. The correct shield for the b/w eTrex is the Basic eTrex shield and the special one they make just for the eTrex Summit, (not the Vista, Legend Venture or Camo) doesn't fit anything. How about that. They've got a whole bucket load of eTrex Summit shields that don't fit anything. I told them as much and that they'd be better just throwing them away, but no they still sell them.

After numerous emails to the people at shieldzone whose job it is to fix this, nothing has been done. In fact their website is now even worse than it was before.

They still sell their "special" eTrex Summit shield that doesn't fit anything at all, including the Summit. Here's a shot from their website showing three models of colour shields even though all the colour models are the same size. You can also see the old special eTrex Summit shield that won't fit anything. Notice how Shieldzone have cunningly put a picture of a colour model next to the basic eTrex shields just to throw you off the scent.

I've written to the President of shieldzone who put me onto his assistant but it has all come to nothing. And now I've got another badly fitting shield that I have to send back for another replacement that will take 2 weeks.

sheildzone.jpg

Edited by gallet

Have you considered purchasing from another retailer?

Not yet, but that's only because I assumed that no one else used this particular material.

Does someone else make shields that are equivalent material to the shieldzone? Because I may just ask for a refund instead.

I will report back here when I find out which of the three eTrex colour shields currently available from Shieldzone is the correct one. Perhaps if everyone who has a badly fitting one, sent it back, it may possibly make them want to only sell the right one and not offer the others, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Have you considered purchasing from another retailer?

Not yet, but that's only because I assumed that no one else used this particular material.

Does someone else make shields that are equivalent material to the shieldzone? Because I may just ask for a refund instead.

I will report back here when I find out which of the three eTrex colour shields currently available from Shieldzone is the correct one. Perhaps if everyone who has a badly fitting one, sent it back, it may possibly make them want to only sell the right one and not offer the others, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have had great service from Shieldzone, so perhaps someone new is on the job at their location. Nonetheless, I have used protectors from another company (see link, below) for my Canon A700 and were very pleased with them:

http://stores.ebay.com/ScreenPatronus

I recently purchased (2) screen protectors from shieldzone, one for a Vista Hcx (ordered the one for the Vista Cx) and one for a palm Zire 71. Both arrived in approximately one week and both fit the units perfectly. I am very pleased with the one on my Vista, but the one on the Zire makes inputting data via the stylus more difficult. The screen protector surface does not allow the stylus to "slide" across the screen as easily as without and you must press considerably harder, especially when writing using the Graffiti feature. Perhaps that is something I must give up to keep the screen in good shape.

I have gotten excellent service from the ShieldZone people, although it has been a while since I ordered from them. Maybe something has changed . . .

However, for my Palm, I went with the Fellowes brand screen protectors. They work great and do not affect the stylus when "writing" using the Graffiti feature.

I just bought a Vista Cx shield which should be the right one for my Vista HCx because they have the same screen right? Well you would think so but the one I've just put on is too big. Not very much too big maybe just a millimetre but that's enough to make it not sit right. It can be a bit too small but it cannot be a bit too big.

Have you considered simply trimming a millimeter off the shield you have so it does fit properly? In the time it took to write your initial post, I think you could have remedied the situation yourself.

@'DocDiTTo

Have you considered simply trimming a millimeter off the shield you have so it does fit properly? In the time it took to write your initial post, I think you could have remedied the situation yourself

I had an opportunity to test this on one of the spare incorrect size shields that I was sent and I can confirm that it is pretty well impossible to cut a millimeter off them. I used a surgical grade swann and morton scalpel with an 11a blade. What makes it so difficult to cut is exactly what makes the shield so good. The shield has a sort of rubbery/elastic like quality which is why scratches disappear. If you trim too close to the edge then its rubbery qualities appear and it deforms, leaving a horribly mangled edge.

Miragee

I have gotten excellent service from the ShieldZone people, although it has been a while since I ordered from them. Maybe something has changed . . .

Let me be clear on this point. I have no complaints at all with the service at Shieldzone, they are courteous, patient, they want to fix problems and they act fast. It's all good with regards to service.

durtieshoes

I recently purchased (2) screen protectors from shieldzone, one for a Vista Hcx (ordered the one for the Vista Cx) ... I am very pleased with the one on my Vista

Yes I ordered the one for the Vista Cx as well but as you can see from the photos below the fit is not very good. I will try one for the Vista C and the Legend C (which in theory should all be identical to the Vista Cx)

My guess is that most people who put one on that does not fit properly will just think, "that's the way it is" and accept it. But bear in mind that Shieldzone do have an eTrex Summit shield for sale that will not fit anything.

Sheildzone have three different size shields cut for the Legend C, Vista C, and Vista Cx. I know how Shieldzone set up their blanks and the three sizes would indicate to me that they have actually drawn the shield three times in Illustrator and they have on file 3 different Adobe Illustrator pdf documents which they use to cut the blanks. I have measured shields from Shieldzone and compared them to the original illustrator files that they sent me and I can confirm their cutting machinery is very precise. That is the errors are not in the cutting but in the actual original files themselves.

As you can see from the first two shots you can see it's a perfect fit along the top and is also flush with the right hand edge (but do remember that an actual 'perfect fit' would be about .5 – 1mm inside the edge). On the third shot which is under different lighting you can see all the crap that collects under the edge that is too long. On the bottom shot you can see the fit on the right and left is perfect so it's easy to see the Shield has been fitted as 'square' as possible, ie it is fine on three sides, the top right side and the two lower sides.

I will write (again) to Shieldzone with the enclosed photos and see if they want to send me out the Vista C and Legend C shields to try, I will then report back here and publish the results.

top2.jpg

top3.jpg

lower.jpg

topleft.jpg

Edited by gallet

Same with me. I purchaced a Vista Cx screen for my new Vista Hcx. Sheildzone does not carry a specific Hcx screen. As stated the screen protector is just a millimeter to big. Because the screen is slightly recessed in the housing the extra bit curls and does not fit correct. I will be contacting the company but will also try to use a razor to cut the excess off of one edge.

Same with me. I purchaced a Vista Cx screen for my new Vista Hcx. Sheildzone does not carry a specific Hcx screen. As stated the screen protector is just a millimeter to big. Because the screen is slightly recessed in the housing the extra bit curls and does not fit correct. I will be contacting the company but will also try to use a razor to cut the excess off of one edge.

Excellent, this is the response I was hoping for, if enough people complain then perhaps Sheildzone will respond. However I have just written to the person at shieldzone I have been corresponding with previously (send me a pm and I'll send you his private email address and name) and suggested that they send me two more shields, the one they have listed as eTrex C Series, and the other one called eTrex Legend C, as I know already know that the eTrex Vista Cx is wrong. Both the others may be right or they might both be wrong or one might be less wrong than the others. But until I find out which it's probably better to wait.

You will see how impossible these shields are to cut.

What I find most frustrating is that it is very likely that one of the 3 etrex colour sheilds that they have is correct, (or maybe two are) but there are people who will order the Vista Cx shield like you and I have done and get the wrong one, but there will be others (durtieshoes) who will not see a problem. Maybe my standards are too high or perhaps others are too low, it's difficult to tell.

i have the same probem with the hcx

maybe the hcx is a little bit smaller - i don't know.

shieldzone is a little bit to large

Thanks for reporting Freeday. If we can get a groundswell going we may be able to get Shieldzone to get their sizes right because their product is excellent.

All the sizes of the screens are the same for the colour models. Same for b/w models, that is even though the eTrex Summit is a low res screen and the eTrex Venture is a hi res screen, both the screens, being black and white, will take the same size shield. But Shieldzone nevertheless make slightly different sizes.

These different sizes do not reflect the actual size difference of the screens (because there is none) but these size differences are entirely due to the drafting department at Shieldzone making inaccurate files for the cutting machine.

At first I assumed that the error of measurement was just how it was. It was not until shieldzone sent me their original pdf files that they use to cut with that I realised that there is in fact a very bad design department who will make incorrect designs.

I am most astonished and surprised that Shieldzone will not fix this problem on their own. As I said earlier I have pointed out to them that the one they sell especially for the eTrex Summit (b/w model) is completely wrong but although I pointed this out to them a couple of months ago and they acknowledge this, they still will not remove it from their website.

This is why I have used the title "what is wrong with these people".

What Sheildzone are doing defies logic. Why would a company who makes a very good product want to sabotage their own product. It is really very strange.

i have the same probem with the hcx

maybe the hcx is a little bit smaller - i don't know.

shieldzone is a little bit to large

Thanks for reporting Freeday. If we can get a groundswell going we may be able to get Shieldzone to get their sizes right because their product is excellent.

Please keep us posted. I ordered the "invisibleSHIELD - Screen Protector: eTrex Color" along with my Vista HCx from Offroute.com and was also disappointed with the fit. I took it off and re-placed it about 4 times, trying different orientations (and once to get a cat hair off, dangit--make sure your workspace is lint and hair-free). I also tried to trim it with a new, sharp razor blade but had no success. I would have preferred slightly small over slightly large--with the overhanging edge it picks up crap and risks peeling up at the edges.

..I took it off and re-placed it about 4 times..

:) Yes, it put it on and off and on again, off and on an.. - i myself thought - i cannot be the only one (i mean stupid) who has problems with the shieldzone.

From the put on/off multiple times with my fingers the shieldzone got on fingerprint i could not remove.

On the gpsmap 60 it fits excellent.

Here is a comparsion:

http://1mb.at/uploads/14.08.2007_08:47:57_...rsion910001.jpg

it is only 0,5 - 1 mm but it's to big.

(CSX on the left - you can see the problem e.g. on the right unit (=HCX) on the right bottom)

Overall it is an excellent protection and i would take it again.

Edited by freeday

..I took it off and re-placed it about 4 times..

:) Yes, it put it on and off and on again, off and on an.. - i myself thought - i cannot be the only one (i mean stupid) who has problems with the shieldzone.

From the put on/off multiple times with my fingers the shieldzone got on fingerprint i could not remove.

I was concerned about fingerprints too, since mine were showing up, but reapplying the spray (every time!) made them disappear.

That looks pretty good gunpowder but unfortunately they don't make one for the eTrex yet but I sent them a pdf file that I made for Shieldzone, it should be in the right format for their cutting machines.

I haven't heard back yet from Shieldzone so I might write to the president again. I mean if Sheildzone don't care and Boxwave will take this one board then we don't have to bother with companies who don't care about their customers.

Edited by gallet

That looks pretty good gunpowder but unfortunately they don't make one for the eTrex yet but I sent them a pdf file that I made for Shieldzone, it should be in the right format for their cutting machines.

I haven't heard back yet from Shieldzone so I might write to the president again. I mean if Sheildzone don't care and Boxwave will take this one board then we don't have to bother with companies who don't care about their customers.

It will be interesting to see boxwave's response as their website says they are always looking for new applications and encourage people to request new applications.

UPDATE

I have received a reply back from Sheildzone that indicates they will take it seriously this time. They are apparently sending the chaps down to pick up a couple of eTrex and go over their designs.

I will post a further update when I receive my replacement to let you know how it went. Should take maybe a week to get to me. I really hope it's OK because the Invisible Shield really does a fantastic job when it fits right.

FWIW, after looking closely at the bevel and manipulating the scan to bring out all the detail I can now see where the problem has been. The bevel itself is not constant all the way around as you can see if you shine a reflection on it. As the bevel goes around the bottom corner it tapers to where it disappears.

When tracing it is easy to mistake the point where the edge of the flat screen meets the bevel.

unknown.jpg

UPDATE

From Shieldzone.

I am having this new shield shipped out to you via USPS Global Express, so you should have it fairly quickly. As for the forum, please let those people with ill fitting shields that we are more than happy to provide replacements (with no charges) if their shield does not fit correctly!

I'll report back here in a few days when it arrives.

Meanwhile Freeday you may want to make them aware of the similar problem with the 60CSx, pm me and I will send you the email address of the person you need to contact.

Edited by gallet

And I thought it was just me when I got my InvisibleShield for my Vista HCx and found it was just too big...I had to remove/trim with scissors/reapply multiple times to get it to fit. The stuff is just plain difficult to cut with any precision. I managed a somewhat decent fit but got numerous blotches on the adhesive side from having to remove/reapply it so many times. Someone screwed up with either the template design or the cutting process because my iPod nano (2nd gen) and Motorola RAZR V3m full body shields fit great with no problems whatsoever. I have contacted ShieldZone with a replacement request. Hopefully, they will send out a new & corrected design.

@SergZak

That's excellent news. It's been a long battle for me but I'm happy to know it was all worth it in the end. I was mocked and hounded off the Australian geocaching forum for bringing up this topic (amongst others) in order to get some support.

However it might be prudent to wait before reordering if anyone has a badly fitting shield until I confirm that it's all fixed up. I'm expecting delivery in about 4 days and I'll report back to confirm it's all good.

UPDATE

From Shieldzone.

I am having this new shield shipped out to you via USPS Global Express, so you should have it fairly quickly. As for the forum, please let those people with ill fitting shields that we are more than happy to provide replacements (with no charges) if their shield does not fit correctly!

I'll report back here in a few days when it arrives.

Meanwhile Freeday you may want to make them aware of the similar problem with the 60CSx, pm me and I will send you the email address of the person you need to contact.

hello gallet - good job -- i have no problem with the gpsmap60csx

The gpsmap60CSX is FINE

Problem with Vista HCX

Please give a feedback if the new one fits perfect - then i will order a second one for my hcx.

Edited by freeday

Just thought I'd mention that I received an email from ShieldZone regarding the Vista HCx design flaw issue:

"I apologize that you received an incorrectly design product. We have

recently redesigned the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx shield and will ship a

new one to you via USPS Priority. We will also include a self addressed

stamped envelope for you to return the old shield to us in to keep the

warranty valid. We thank you for your patience with us at this time. I

hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further

questions or comments."

Looks like they have indeed revised/redesigned the shield. Will let you know when it arrives and how it fits compared to the first. I especially like the fact that they are shipping out the new one for free via USPS priority mail and including a self addressed stamped envelope for returning the old one.

LATEST UPDATE: RECUT SHIELD

OK I just received my new shield by express post. I opened it up and felt a little sick when I saw that it said Vista Cx on the front. However I could see by the shape of the bottom corners that it was a recut so I felt better then.

I had a close look at it and then I measured it. It is indeed recut but ...

but...

First the good news. The length has been reduced so that it fits nicely top and bottom.

However a quick measurement and I can confirm that it is still TOO WIDE.

I would advise against ordering or installing your replacement shield unless you have access to a professional trimmer. This stuff if very very difficult to cut and I'm afraid that anything less than a professional trimmer with a good blade is not going to be able to trim off the millimeter on each side that still needs to come off.

BUMMER.

There was no point in trying the new shield because it's pretty clear it won't fit and it will be all same problem with fingerprints and crap. Basically it needs to be installed corrrectly the first time if you want it to look good.

OK I whipped my top quality Rotatrim that cost me AUD$400 a couple of years ago and has been lying idle waiting for it's moment of glory. And here it was. The blade is very very sharp and it also presses down with a flat area as it cuts to stop movement.

Using this I was able to trim the required amount off very cleanly. It's about a 95% perfect trim job. I do not recommend you try to cut it with an exacto knife and metal rule. It won't work because the rubbery nature of the Shield will grip the blade and bend. Even with the Rotatrim you can still see a bit on the offcut where it hasn't cut perfectly.

With the new shield now trimmed correctly I attempted to install it. Let me say that this is the first time that I have put one of these on that wasn't too big and the difference is amazing. Instead of this interminable sliding around I was able to put it on in one go with minimal movement. The result is very very good. The edges are almost invisible. This is how it should be.

Unfortunately It still needed a bit more off the top corners. But I can live with that.

TO SUM UP

•OK Shieldzone have got it wrong again.

• Don't bother trying to trim it yourself, unless you have a *really good* quality double rail trimmer. Double rail is very important because it won't tolerate any movement. A cheap trimmer won't work.

• If you do decide to trim it, it needs about 1mm off each side and a bit extra off the top corners.

Actually on second thought the missing extra that needed trimming off the corner *may* be due to the Shield 'squirming' a bit right at the end. It' difficult to tell exactly.

I will write to Shieldzone and let them know it's not right and post their response.

full.jpg

top-left.jpg

top-right.jpg

bottom-left.jpg

bottom-right.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

excess.jpg

rotatrim.jpg

blade.jpg

LATEST RESPONSE

OK, Sheildzone are as embarrassed by this latest error as I am by making such a fuss about it. However it's going back to the drawing board and a millimeter is coming off each side.

I feel that it will be fine. They are sending me another one when it's done even though I said I was happy with my trimmed down one. So that's pretty nice of them. I'll have a chance to measure it and check it properly.

So the latest advice is hold on till it is confirmed as good, should take another week I suppose.

But it will all be worth it because when it's a millimeter short around the edges you can't see the edges at all it looks really good and it goes on well without any of this moving it around business.

Wow, you'd think they'd be able to get it right the first or even second try. I work in AutoCAD all day long and can easily make up a simple 2D polyline shape for a template, print it out on standard paper, cut it out with scissors & lay it on the screen to verify the shape is indeed correct. I don't know what type of cutting method they use but it seems like it would be the most difficult of the process. I have not yet received my replacement (hopefully they wait until it's verified it before it gets sent out) but if it comes, I am going to try trimming the paper backing up to the shield edge and verify if/where the shield needs to be trimmed -before- actually installing it. My attempt at trimming after the fact ended up in a messed up shield. The difficulty is actually trimming the shield since it's difficult at best to cut, especially without the paper backing on it. On top of that, the outside profile has very little in the way of perfectly straight edges so a straight edge won't help much... ;)

@SergZak

Yeah, it's pretty crazy I must admit, you don't even need to do a trace you can just measure it, the one I received was 44mm wide at the widest point and it needs to be less than 43mm, 42mm would be the safest. I drew one up from a hi res scan in Illustrator to really precise measurements but they chose not to use it. Go figger.

I trimmed the sides off in a straight line and that seems fine. Try 1 millimeter off each side. No point in trying to trim a curved line it's not possible.

Read my advice on trimming (earlier post). You _will_not_be_able to trim it with a knife, it's too rubbery. It needs a really clean edge or it looks crap and you are back to square one.

TIP on installing: After removing the old screen and cleaning with a lint free cloth you can use the sticky side of the old screen to pick up any stray dust particles or hairs on the screen and around the edges. Spray your fingers first, then the shield before peeling, then peel the new shield off, spray it, and slap it straight on. Without overlap it's a breeze. If you don't get it right first go then it will never look it's best.

Edited by gallet

Just wanted to let everyone know that I emailed Shieldzone with the same problem. After two emails here is the responce that I received today. I will let you know the results once I get the screen. After the last posts I do not hold out a lot of hope that it will be totally correct. We will see.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Zagg! My name is Katrina and I appreciate the

opportunity to assist you.

I apologize that you received the bad design of the Garmin eTrex Vista

Cx Screen Shield. We have recently redesigned that shield and I will

ship it to you via USPS Priority with a self addressed stamped envelope

for you to return the old one to us in. I hope this helps! Please feel

free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments.

Thank you for choosing the invisibleSHIELD. We appreciate your business!

All the best,

*KATRINA C.*

*Customer Service Representative*

ZAGG Logo

ZAGG Inc

3855 S 500 W STE B, SLC, UT 84115

801.263.0699 or 888-940-9663 (o)

@ scaber

I've been dealing with someone a bit higher up and I do feel confident that the next redesign will be good.

Maybe you should write back to Katrina to tell her to hold off for eTrex shield v1.2

However a week ago I wrote to Boxwave as recommended earlier in this thread, and I put in a submission that they make an eTrex C (that's what it should really be called because all the colour versions use the same size screen) and I got a response back today asking for a hi res scan. I'm sending them the scan with a tape measure on it PLUS the file in photoshop with the path properly drawn with .5mm all the way around (which is good enough IF it's accurate) plus an illustrator pdf file of the path only. I'll also link them to this thread. They said they'll send me out a free boxwave shield and I'll check it out and do a review on it when it arrives.

I must say that I'm pretty happy with the shieldzone shield but if boxwave are going to make one too then it's only fair to check it out. They might each have different qualities that appeal to different people. The boxwave appears to come in two types, crystal clear and anti glare. Maybe it won't have the orange peel effect of the Shieldzone, but that does not bother me at all as it is invisible in normal viewing conditions. But others might disagree and it's good to have a choice.

Stay tuned.

Edited by gallet

I got my replacement shield last week and again, it was NOT the correct size. I don't know what version it was. Like gallet, I had to do some tedious trimming off the sides (with an xacto #11 & straight edge). The length was still off, but not by much. The corners I had to trim with scissors, slowly snipping away at the material. I did the trimming with the backing still on the shield and checked my progress by laying the shield on the screen. Even though I thought I had it just right, my corners were still off by a hair. It looks fine after I applied it but no one should have to be trimming these things to fit, especially with the material being the way it is...hard to cut with any kind of precision. I'd wait for gallet's OK before ordering & see about somehow confirming the fit, maybe via a version number.

I don't know if I'm going to send it in again for another exchange...if I get bad shield, I'll have to go through my cutting process all over again. There's no way to verify the fit unless you cut the white paper backing as close as you can to the shield's edge and lay it on the screen or you actually install it on the screen.

Sorry there's no news yet but I thought I'd better post. I asked where the latest sheild is and was told I should have it by 18th Sept at the latest. So I'll be writing again to find out what's happening.

Re: Boxwave, they were going to send me a file that I could print out and check but rather than print it out I'll just open it in Illustrator and measure it against my already accurately made pdf. However they have informed me that they are busy with a back log of stuff, but that was like well over a week ago.

Stay tuned.

Edited by gallet

Update, the latest shield never arrived but another one is being sent out...maybe 10 days, unless the missing one turns up.

Anyone waiting may as well order it as I would find it difficult (but not impossible) to believe that it would still be wrong. However I will update when it arrives.

UPDATE: BOXWAVE NEARLY READY TOO.

It looks like the boxwave HCx shield is almost ready, so I should have that in about 10 days, and I'm hoping that the new invisible shield will be here by then too.

I'll be able to do a side by side comparison of the two, not for fit, (obviously as they should both have plenty of room), but for how well they both transmit light. In daylight the invisible shield does appear to make the screen less visible, but I can't recall what it was like without it so that may just be my imagination. But I will pay close attention to the clarity of the two screens when I test side by side.

The final UPDATE

I think we have a result. There is still a bit of wierdness which I'll get to so it's worth reading this through.

The new shield arrived today. First let me say it's a good fit. So we can get that out of the way, but before you all rush off and order one, make sure you order one of the C Series shields and not a VistaHCx shield. I'll explain why.

This new shield I have received could still be a tad smaller in my opinion but at least it's not too big. The fit side to side appears to be almost perfect maybe a tenth of a millimetre room on each side, with .75mm on the top and bottom.

This shield came in a packet marked "C Series Screen Shield", and for all I know this could have been the correct sized shield all along. Bearing in mind that they made a monochrome Summit shield that was way too big even though as we all know the normal eTrex sheild will fit the Summit.

In other words what I'm saying is that they appear to cut different shields for different models in the same range when in fact the different models are all the same size anyway, ie all the b/w are the same as are the colour.

Seeing as the Summit shield (b/w) is still listed, I would not be surprised at all if this is just the C Series shield that was sitting there all the time. The reason I say this is that it is not as small as I thought it would have been.

So just to be safe, I would suggest ordering the C Series shield and not the VistaHCx shield. In theory it should not make a difference.

If anyone does order the HCx shield anyway perhaps they can post here and say how it fits. Because I've had enough of this.

But I will report on the boxwave when I get it. I'll post a new thread with a review of the Boxwave and Shielzone shields side by side.

I can't say it's been a pleasant journey, we laughed, we cried, but we got there in the end.

The final UPDATE

The new shield arrived today. First let me say it's a good fit. So we can get that out of the way, but before you all rush off and order one, make sure you order one of the C Series shields and not a VistaHCx shield. I'll explain why.

This shield came in a packet marked "C Series Screen Shield", and for all I know this could have been the correct sized shield all along. Bearing in mind that they made a monochrome Summit shield that was way too big even though as we all know the normal eTrex sheild will fit the Summit.

So just to be safe, I would suggest ordering the C Series shield and not the VistaHCx shield. In theory it should not make a difference.

I'm not so sure about that. I ordered my shield together with my Vista HCx from offroute.com and the closest type they had available was the "eTrex Color" and I believe the packaging says "C Series Screen Shield" (sorry, I don't have it in front of me). It has the same poor fit issues. So, if it's right on yours (or close enough), then they fixed it. Or it could have just been the packaging they had available for you.

They did assure me that it was recut for the C series as well. I haven't put the new shield on yet as I'm waiting for the boxwave to test first. But I measured it and it looked OK. I still thought it should be smaller though but it wasn't too large, so perhaps you have an old stock one. Just send it back then to shieldzone in that case.

OK, just to add to the mix. I ordered a shield for my Vista HCx on 25 September (before they updated the site). I ordered the Vista Cx Shield as it was the closest description at the time. I recieved it today (for those wondering how long it takes - I should add that I live in Canada) and it came labelled as "Garmin eTrex C Series." It fits perfectly, perhaps even slightly (1/8 inch) small relative to the bezels (top to bottom). Not enough to worry about.

Either they fixed the issue or they have inconsistent sizing. My bet is the former.

bigskyguy, dogwalkers2

Well that confirms it. Dogwalker that's what I found, perfect side to side and a bit short top to bottom. Should have been a bit short side to side as well but at least it's not too big.

Bigskyguy, tell them you must have one of the old ones because it too long and send it back.

Edited by gallet