Magellan eXplorist 600 - Windows Vista

corlit

Hello,

I don't know if anyone else had struck the problem of the Magellan eXplorist 600 driver not being installable on Windows Vista. On trying to install the driver I was continually advised by the Windows Vista, that a 'specified file was not found'. I have managed to modify the INF file that comes with the original driver to cleanly load into Windows Vista. I have not tested it extensively. That is I have only tested it on my systems running Windows Vista Home Basic. The installed driver appears to be stable and reliable. The modified driver can be downloaded from my website using the following link. Hope this is a help to other eXplorist users.

Jason

http://www.avidinvestigations.com.au/files...ndows_Vista.zip

Edited by corlit

Hello,

I don't know if anyone else had struck the problem of the Magellan eXplorist 600 driver not being installable on Windows Vista. On trying to install the driver I was continually advised by the Windows Vista, that a 'specified file was not found'. I have managed to modify the INF file that comes with the original driver to cleanly load into Windows Vista. I have not tested it extensively. That is I have only tested it on my systems running Windows Vista Home Basic. The installed driver appears to be stable and reliable. The modified driver can be downloaded from my website using the following link. Hope this is a help to other eXplorist users.

Jason

Has anyone tried this yet?

I am also having the same problem with my Explorist 500LE and Windows XP.

The online support did not contain any information regarding USB drivers, so I called the 1-800 technical support line. I spoke with a representative today and he informed me I would need to go to the Google website to find the drivers for my GPS unit. I informed him that this was incorrect because I could see the Drivers on the software CD that was included with the GPS unit and when I ran the install wizard, I received the confirmation that the USB driver has been installed. However, when I install the software, the device is still not being recognized and when I look in my "Driver" folder on my C drive. the drivers are not installed. The representative informed me that I would have to call back at a later date and time. When I asked to speak to someone else, he put me on hold and came back after a lengthy wait to inform me his manager was on another call and I would need to call back.

I suggested that I would receive better customer service if I returned my Magellan GPS and went out and bought a Garmin instead. He said he did not understand what I was saying and I would need to call back.

Does your link also provide information on the drivers for XP?

The online support did not contain any information regarding USB drivers, so I called the 1-800 technical support line. I spoke with a representative today and he informed me I would need to go to the Google website to find the drivers for my GPS unit. I informed him that this was incorrect because I could see the Drivers on the software CD that was included with the GPS unit and when I ran the install wizard, I received the confirmation that the USB driver has been installed. However, when I install the software, the device is still not being recognized and when I look in my "Driver" folder on my C drive. the drivers are not installed. The representative informed me that I would have to call back at a later date and time. When I asked to speak to someone else, he put me on hold and came back after a lengthy wait to inform me his manager was on another call and I would need to call back.

I suggested that I would receive better customer service if I returned my Magellan GPS and went out and bought a Garmin instead. He said he did not understand what I was saying and I would need to call back.

Hunttess,

The download is only the driver for the eXplorist 600 I'm afraid. It is essentially the driver that came with the GPS for windows XP, but with the INF file(MagellaneXporist.inf) modified to aid Windows Vista to load the service binary(usbser.sys). In regard to Windows XP, I have not really had a problem loading the driver for the GPS from the original CD. Sadly I have to report that configuring the driver myself for Windows Vista was motivated by a similar customer service experience with Magellan.

hunttess

Not sure why you are having problems on your XP machine. Mine installed just fine on mine. It's our Vista machines that are not yet supported. Have you tried restarting your computer after the install? You might try un-installing and re-installing the drivers to see if that helps. Also on my XP machine the drivers are not in the drivers folder but in my > C drive > Program Files > Magellan > Magellan Tools folder.

Edited by Warriorrider

hunttess

Not sure why you are having problems on your XP machine. Mine installed just fine on mine. It's our Vista machines that are not yet supported. Have you tried restarting your computer after the install? You might try un-installing and re-installing the drivers to see if that helps. Also on my XP machine the drivers are not in the drivers folder but in my > C drive > Program Files > Magellan > Magellan Tools folder.

Warriorrider

I have tried to install and uninstall a few times and have also tried to do a custom install. I will try the restart suggestion and then look in the folder you mentioned above.

Thank you.

Hi I'm not going to pretend to know everything but xp or vista does not need drivers to connect to gps. The gps acts like an external drive and no drivers needed. I too have had some problems with my comp. reading my gps. I tried vista and xp with same results. The only way that it can read it is attach cable and power to gps, not usb. Then turn on gps and wait until it tracks 3 or more sats, then plug in usb. Don't know why but that is the only way it will work. I think it is a problem with some of the explorist sold. Someone try this and let me know if it works. THNX.

Hi I'm not going to pretend to know everything but xp or vista does not need drivers to connect to gps. The gps acts like an external drive and no drivers needed. I too have had some problems with my comp. reading my gps. I tried vista and xp with same results. The only way that it can read it is attach cable and power to gps, not usb. Then turn on gps and wait until it tracks 3 or more sats, then plug in usb. Don't know why but that is the only way it will work. I think it is a problem with some of the explorist sold. Someone try this and let me know if it works. THNX.

Hi gates59,

It sounds like what you're describing is the file transfer mode of the eXplorist 600, in which you do treat the GPS like an external hard drive. In this mode, I believe that you're right in saying that a driver may not be required. The mode for which the driver is provided is for NMEA communications, through which the GPS sends real time data to the computer (normally a laptop), which then interfaces with some variety of moving map software. (I use oziexplorer http://www.oziexplorer.com ) In NMEA communications mode the GPS appears in the Device Manager as a 'modem'. The GPS is assigned a COM port number eg COM3, COM4 etc. The mapping software communicates with the GPS through the assigned COM port.

Edited by corlit

:)

Hello,

Jason

I followed the instuctions included with drivers and all works well for the NMEA mode. Seems to work fine with DirectRoute, Topo 3D, and also NG Topo all on my Vista machine. It does not work with Geocache Manager though.

Thank You corlit :)

Edited by Warriorrider

Actually I don't have a 600 but a 500LE and I have it setup so that I can upload maps and so on. I have been playing around with this thing for 2 weeks to get it to work. I have also removed all software and drivers buy formatting and my computer does recognize my gps just the same as long as I connect it as stated above.

:anitongue:

Hello,

Jason

I followed the instuctions included with drivers and all works well for the NMEA mode. Seems to work fine with DirectRoute, Topo 3D, and also NG Topo all on my Vista machine. It does not work with Geocache Manager though.

Thank You corlit :anitongue:

Hi Warriorrider,

I don't use Geocache Manager (I use GSAK, http://www.gsak.net) myself, but I think I may have loaded it when I first got my eXplorist 600. I could be worng, but I had a feeling Geocache Manager commicates with the GPS in file transfer mode, rather than NMEA. If this is the case, the driver would not be applicable for Geocache Manager. I think flicking the GPS across to 'File Transfer Mode' on the 'Communications' menu should solve your problem.

:anitongue:

Hello,

Jason

I followed the instructions included with drivers and all works well for the NMEA mode. Seems to work fine with DirectRoute, Topo 3D, and also NG Topo all on my Vista machine. It does not work with Geocache Manager though.

Thank You corlit :anitongue:

Hi Warriorrider,

I don't use Geocache Manager (I use GSAK, http://www.gsak.net) myself, but I think I may have loaded it when I first got my Explorist 600. I could be worng, but I had a feeling Geocache Manager commicates with the GPS in file transfer mode, rather than NMEA. If this is the case, the driver would not be applicable for Geocache Manager. I think flicking the GPS across to 'File Transfer Mode' on the 'Communications' menu should solve your problem.

Jason,

It's well known that Geocache Manager will not work on Vista machines. Oh well, I thought you might have fixed that with your alteration of the driver. What you did do by correcting the communication in NMEA mode was a big help though, so, Thank You!

I too use GSAK but if I send my caches straight to the Explorist with GSAK then when I mark a cache as found on the Explorist it will not remain in the found list after turning the unit off then back on. No big deal I suppose but I like that feature of being able to mark a cache as found and having it time stamped. The work around for me is to create gpx files using GSAK and then sending them over through Geocache Manager on my XP machine. It's more work but caches remain found when marking them so on the gps.

:blink:

Hello,

Jason

I followed the instructions included with drivers and all works well for the NMEA mode. Seems to work fine with DirectRoute, Topo 3D, and also NG Topo all on my Vista machine. It does not work with Geocache Manager though.

Thank You corlit :ph34r:

Hi Warriorrider,

I don't use Geocache Manager (I use GSAK, http://www.gsak.net) myself, but I think I may have loaded it when I first got my Explorist 600. I could be worng, but I had a feeling Geocache Manager commicates with the GPS in file transfer mode, rather than NMEA. If this is the case, the driver would not be applicable for Geocache Manager. I think flicking the GPS across to 'File Transfer Mode' on the 'Communications' menu should solve your problem.

Jason,

It's well known that Geocache Manager will not work on Vista machines. Oh well, I thought you might have fixed that with your alteration of the driver. What you did do by correcting the communication in NMEA mode was a big help though, so, Thank You!

I too use GSAK but if I send my caches straight to the Explorist with GSAK then when I mark a cache as found on the Explorist it will not remain in the found list after turning the unit off then back on. No big deal I suppose but I like that feature of being able to mark a cache as found and having it time stamped. The work around for me is to create gpx files using GSAK and then sending them over through Geocache Manager on my XP machine. It's more work but caches remain found when marking them so on the gps.

I'll have a play around with Geocache manager when I get home tonight. I have had some success with other software that was not supposed to work with Vista. Fingers crossed this may be the same.

Edited by corlit

I'll have a play around with Geocache manager when I get home tonight. I have had some success with other software that was not supposed to work with Vista. Fingers crossed this may be the same.

Further to this quote, I've identified the problem as to why Geocache Manager is not working on Windows Vista. I haven't yet identified the solution though. Hopefully I'll have the answer in the next few days if work isn't too busy.

Further to this quote, I've identified the problem as to why Geocache Manager is not working on Windows Vista. I haven't yet identified the solution though. Hopefully I'll have the answer in the next few days if work isn't too busy.

I look forward to hearing more about this... hopefully a fix :):)

Good luck Jason.

I look forward to hearing more about this... hopefully a fix :o:(

Good luck Jason.

Sorry, for the delay Warriorrider. Haven't had a chance to work on this due to commitments. Haven't forgotten though.

@Warriorrider: Slightly off-topic here, but related; you mentioned you tested this with DirectRoute on Windows Vista? I can't get DirectRoute to run on my Vista Ultimate laptop...do you have any advice on how I can get it running?

Thank You corlit :rolleyes:

@Warriorrider: Slightly off-topic here, but related; you mentioned you tested this with DirectRoute on Windows Vista? I can't get DirectRoute to run on my Vista Ultimate laptop...do you have any advice on how I can get it running?

Thank You corlit :rolleyes:

OK, it's been awhile but I think I did this:

Put the setup disc into your drive but don't let it run. Instead open it or My Computer>go to the drive that holds the disc and right click on it. Now click open. Look for the file labeled "setup" and right click on it and hit "properties". On the very top of the new window hit "compatibility". Go down to "compatibility mode" and check mark it and use the drop down menu under it to highlight "Windows XP (service pack 2)" Now go back and double click that "setup" file. That should do it.

@warriorrider: Thanks for your help, but like cwhlam, it doesn't work for me (using MapSend DirectRoute 2.0).

I have a copy of 1.0 that I'll probably use; I read that the map updates from 1.0 to 2.0 were minor and I really need to get new detail maps on my eXplorist 500.

If anyone knows whether MapSend DirectRoute 3.0 works with Vista, please post here (with instructions, if applicable).

I've yet to try the eXplorist 600 driver on my 500, but I'll post back when I do (if I forget please PM me).

All the best.

hunttess

Warriorrider

I have tried to install and uninstall a few times and have also tried to do a custom install. I will try the restart suggestion and then look in the folder you mentioned above.

Thank you.

I tried this and it didn't work for me, I'll keep looking for a solution.

<_<

Hello,

Jason

Thank You corlit :huh:

I have a 500le and have vista business enterprise. and I got it to work with the drivers from above, I did run into a few issues but got it to work. Mainly dont plug the cable the wrong way will help. I am still testing other software but I am so happy that it was something that simple. Thanks Your Awesome

:laughing:

Hello,

Jason

Thank You corlit :laughing:

I have a 500le and have vista business enterprise. and I got it to work with the drivers from above, I did run into a few issues but got it to work. Mainly dont plug the cable the wrong way will help. I am still testing other software but I am so happy that it was something that simple. Thanks Your Awesome

I tested a little more, I did get full NEMA support however I still cant get any magallen software to see it. Even if I make it xp compatible in the properites. Oh well 1 step closer. Thank God I have GSAK so I can make my geocaches on my unit.

I tested a little more, I did get full NEMA support however I still cant get any magallen software to see it. Even if I make it xp compatible in the properites. Oh well 1 step closer. Thank God I have GSAK so I can make my geocaches on my unit.

MapSend Lite version 2 does see my Explorist. Vista recognises the Explorist as a removable drive, and MapSend Lite can read and write to the Explorist, including saving .gs files directly to the GPS. With this NEMA support, even the GPS logging function works.

However, Directroute V2 still does not start.

I followed the instructions and My Vista laptop will just not allow me to install the drivers. I will try it again tonight and then let you know what happens and when.

Possibly the problem may be Vista's 'User Account Control'. This is the in built software that asks you to confirm just about everything, before allowing it. It seems to be the scurge of Vista's existance! These are the instructions to turn it off.

TURN OFF USER ACCOUNT CONTROL

Click 'Start' --> Click 'Control Panel'

In the Left Column of Control Panel, Click 'Control Panel Home'

In the Search Box (Top right corner), type 'user account'

Select from the main panel, 'Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off'

Remove the tick from 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer' --> Click 'OK'

Accept the security warning if prompted and close the Control Panel

Edited by corlit

first unzip drivers to a folder

next put gps unit in nmea 2.0 >usb newest firmware needed

go to device manager and choose update driver by location, choose the folder you unziped the files too

it will install in vista,

restart mapsend. let it will now show 2 free ports. run test on them and it will find it.

ps. how do I get the mapsend.ini file changed. I have v2.0 and a new vista computer and would like to add some maps since I haven't done it in over a year. tried the 65,000 number but it doesn't work.?

thanks in advance.

Just a footnote to the eXplorist 600 driver for Windows Vista. I have passed the driver onto the local Magellan distributor on the Gold Coast, Australia. He has advised that Magellan have given it an 'unofficial ok'. Further, the local distributor advises, the driver was tested successfully on the following units under Windows Vista also.

eXplorist 210

eXplorist 400

eXplorist 500

To this end, the local distributor has placed the driver on their website at the following link. Hope this may help some other users struggling with Vista.

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/Do...ndName=Magellan

Ignore my last message. I got it working, what was happening it would always show up as an unknown device. Installing the driver did nothing. So on a wild whim I unscrewed the cord from the GPS and flipped it 180 degrees and screwed it back in and wouldn't you know it it worked just fine.

Glad to hear you got it figured out :D

Hello,

Jason

I need help! I just realized my Explorist 400 will take geocache transfers. However, I'm using Vista and it doesn't recognize the device. I've downloaded this driver you posted and the one from both the Magellan website and that other one listed at the bottom. It downloads a zip file which I extract but the only thing I get this is this UBER.sys file which I can't open. Edited to add: Under device manager it doesn't recognize my GPS at all.

Edited by cuzinpepper

Hello,

Jason

I need help! I just realized my Explorist 400 will take geocache transfers. However, I'm using Vista and it doesn't recognize the device. I've downloaded this driver you posted and the one from both the Magellan website and that other one listed at the bottom. It downloads a zip file which I extract but the only thing I get this is this UBER.sys file which I can't open. Edited to add: Under device manager it doesn't recognize my GPS at all.

Hi, There should be a Setup.txt file packed in the zip file which lists the setup method under Vista. I'll list the contents of the Setup.txt file below. Hope this helps.

Setup.txt:

Notes

This driver is essentially the same driver distributed on the Magellan

eXplorist 600 CD-ROM. I have modified the inf file to aid Windows Vista

in finding the required files. I have not tested this driver extensively.

That is to say, I have installed the driver on my systems running Windows

Vista Home Basic and found it to be reliable and stable.

Modified by Jason Ryan, Brisbane, Queensland. (jason@avidinvestigations.com.au)

Disclaimer

I offer this modified driver with no warranty,

nor do I accept liability for any loss incurred through its use.

The end user may use or distribute this driver only in line with the usual

terms and conditions agreed to as if distributed by the original writer of

the software. This modified driver has not been authorized or certified by Magellan

and as such Magellan will not be liable for any loss incurred through its use,

unless they choose to be at their own discretion. The use of this driver is completely

at the risk of the end user. Use of this driver or redistribution of this driver,

must always be accompanied by this file and disclaimer.

Setup Instructions

1. Extract the zip file to a location on your Hard Drive or Desktop

2. Plug in the GPS to a free USB Port and turn on the GPS

3. On the GPS, select NMEA Data Comm, from the Communications menu

4. On the GPS, select an NMEA mode of your choice

5. On the Computer, close any windows that may have

come up asking about new hardware

6. Click on the Start Button

7. Right Click 'Computer' from the Start Menu,

then left click 'Properties' from the menu.

8. In the Window that appears, select 'Device Manager' from the Tasks

9. In the window that appears, look through the list for 'Magellan eXplorist'

Right Click on 'Magellan eXplorist', then select 'Update Driver Software'

10. In the window that appears, select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

then select the folder that was unpacked from the zip folder,

remove the tick form 'Include subfolders', then click next

11. If a security warning appears, select the options that says,

'Install this driver software anyway'

12. Click Close

If no errors were encountered during the above listed process, your eXplorist 600

should now be accessible through a com port. To check which port has been assigned to

the GPS, right click on the 'Magellan eXplorist' from the 'Device Manager' window,

then select 'Properties'. Click on the 'Modem' tab. The com port should be listed

at the top of the page. eg Port : COM4